PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Talkradio Network To Launch March 31

ELVIS
03-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Wed Mar 10 2004

Air America Radio, a progressive talk radio network, announced today it will hit the airwaves on March 31st. "Air America Radio is launching in the top U.S. markets with leading talent that will provide compelling and entertaining programming on the radio, on satellite feeds, and on the web," said Mark Walsh, Chief Executive Officer of Air America Radio. “We aim to build an important new media franchise that delivers results.”

The network’s on-air personalities represent today’s top political and popular satirists, commentators and activists. Comedian, and best selling author Al Franken, who was recently taken to court when Bill O’Reilly and Fox News were seeking an injunction to halt distribution of "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right," and is known for fact-based, drug-free satire, will host a weekday show on the network called “The O’Franken Factor.”

“I’m so happy that Air America Radio will be on in three battleground states, New York, Illinois and California….no wait…those aren’t battleground states. What the hell are we doing?” said Franken.

Air America Radio has signed actress and comedienne Janeane Garofalo, hip hop icon Chuck D, radio personality Randi Rhodes, and political humorist Sam Seder to join Franken at the network. Environmental activist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., “The Daily Show” co-creator Lizz Winstead, and business-of-the-media analyst on the public radio program “Marketplace” Martin Kaplan will also join the network.

The network has unveiled its current weekday and weekend line-up:

Monday-Friday
Uprising: 6:00-9:00am

This is a fast paced morning show that will entertain and engage audiences with wit and political satire. It will feature the latest news, offering up to-the-minute interviews with newsmakers, analysis and strong opinions.

Host: Marc Maron
Co-host: Sue Ellicott
Co-host: Mark Riley

Unfiltered: 9:00am- 12:00pm
Air America’s midmorning program is a showcase for conversation about the political and cultural state of the union. Unfiltered introduces listeners to fresh new voices not available in mainstream media today.

Co-host: Lizz Winstead
Co-host: Chuck D
Co-host: Laura Flanders

The O’ Franken Factor: 12:00-3:00pm
Relentless, pure satire, delivered by the leading political humorist of this generation. With his partner, longtime radio host Katherine Lanpher, this will be three hours of fearless barbs, sketches, and interviews with newsmakers and characters who have lived, up until now, only in Al’s fertile imagination. He’s no policy wonk, but this best-selling author and veteran of Saturday Night Live, is devoting his energy to fighting back against rightwing propaganda with hard evidence and facts.

Host: Al Franken
Co-host: Katherine Lanpher
Producer: Billy Kimball

The Randi Rhodes Show: 3:00-7:00pm

Randi Rhodes has spent the last 20 years burning up the airwaves in southern Florida with her pointed and provocative brand of talk radio. Combining live interview, call-in and commentary, Randi engages her audience with a passionate presentation.

Host: Randi Rhodes

So What Else Is News? : 7:00-8:00pm
Based in Los Angeles, this is a one-hour program showcasing the intersection of politics, media and popular culture. This program will feature analysis and reports from the presidential campaign, as well as a daily reporters’ roundtable on how the news of the day is affected and reflected by the media. Marty will also cover the spinning of the news with a regular segment called “The Corrections.” This is also the place to hear the political voice of Hollywood, with celebrity guest interviews from the entertainment industries.
Host: Marty Kaplan

The Majority Report: 8:00pm-11:00pm

This program will introduce new, younger voices and opinions, with live guests from the world of politics, the arts and entertainment. Host: Janeane Garofalo
Co-host: Sam Seder

Saturday and Sunday

Air America Radio’s weekend line-up will offer more original programming, like Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Mike Papatanio’s “Champions of Justice,” a program that brings a fresh and entertaining perspective to talk radio from the top legal and social issues focused minds in the country. Additional programming will include Best-of Air America Radio and Best-of-O’Franken Factor as well as other original programming to be announced soon.

“Air America Radio will be available immediately in top markets across the country, and our distribution channels will continue to expand in the coming months via affiliation agreements with partner stations across the land,” said Air America Radio President Jon Sinton. Air America Radio will debut its programming on radio stations WLIB (AM 1190am) in New York, WNTD (AM 950) in Chicago and KBLA (AM 1580) in Los Angeles and a station in San Francisco to be named before launch.

Air America Radio’s partnership with WLIB owner, Inner City Broadcasting Corporation, is a complementary agreement that builds on the goals of each organization – to bring new energy and new immediacy to messages, issues and audiences that deserve a place in today’s media marketplace.

“We are excited about the diverse and important voices Air America Radio is bringing to the airwaves, both on our own WLIB signal and others,” said Pierre Sutton, Chairman of ICBC. “This strategic partnership allows both companies to combine our resources and deliver relevant messages to a broad and diverse audience. Our talented Mark Riley joins new and exciting co-hosts throughout the broadcast day in multiple major markets to open the airwaves to opinions and entertaining commentary that Americans can hear nowhere else.” Live streaming of Air America Radio shows, along with show archives, will be available on www.airamericaradio.com. Air America Radio is in negotiations with satellite television and satellite radio providers. These national services will allow potential listeners to tune in anywhere in the country. The details of these partnerships will be unveiled soon.

“Our success to date proves what we have known all along: a progressive radio network can be entertaining and engaging while also being a successful business venture. We have made a lot of progress…and more is to come. We expect to deliver valuable listeners to our advertising partners,” said Evan Cohen, New York-based investor and Chairman of the board of Air America Radio.

# # #

Developing...

ELVIS
03-10-2004, 07:06 PM
I've heard Randi Rhodes while visiting my parents in Miami...

Yawn.....................

John Ashcroft
03-10-2004, 07:16 PM
More power to them. The funny thing is, the press is presenting this like it's something new. How many liberal talkshows have started and failed already? No one wants to drive to and from work every day listening to how America sucks, and how they're all just one paycheck away from bankruptcy. Americans like optimism.

Anyway, they've also got it wrong with all of the big money being invested into liberal radio. They don't realize that Limbaugh started from nothing, and it was his showmanship and ideas that made him what he is, not corporate money.

Dr. Love
03-10-2004, 08:16 PM
What, no Howard Dean?

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaargh!!

FORD
03-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
What, no Howard Dean?

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaargh!!

Now that would be a great radio show! But I think he's got other things going at the moment (stay tuned for the announcement on the 18th)

Howard Stern, on the other hand........

Well, I wouldn't exactly call him a liberal, but he's certainly no friend of the BCE and their minions at Clear Channel ;)

John Ashcroft
03-10-2004, 08:50 PM
You're right! Dean's got other things going right now for sure... I just saw him raise "The new JFK's" hand in unity on TV. I guess Dean's gonna be busy for a while being a campaign prop for Kerry, so there's certainly no time for liberal radio...

Oh, and Ford, I guess I should've warned you to get your puke-bag before the post. Sorry 'bout that...

Wayne L.
03-11-2004, 11:06 AM
I've known comedian/activist Al Franken most of my life since I grew up watching him with his partner Tom Davis on SNL back in the 70's but this liberal talk radio network will fail completely & probably be off the air a year after its debut with Al Franken possibly surviving on another channel because I don't think the American people can handle too much kissing ass to the legacy of Bill Clinton, putting down white people most of the time & putting down the rich rhetorically, when they are the rich themselves, which doesn't make too much sense.

ELVIS
03-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Al Franken was funny in his younger days...

John Ashcroft
03-11-2004, 12:58 PM
The only way Franken can invoke laughter these days is by getting hit by a truck...

twonabomber
03-12-2004, 06:02 PM
good. get Garafalo on the radio, and off the TV and movie screens.

Viking
03-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Liberal Talkradio Network To Launch March 31............

(.....to go off air April 2nd.) :D

rustoffa
03-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Viking
Liberal Talkradio Network To Launch March 31............

(.....to go off air April 2nd.) :D
It's never worked before.:D

BigBadBrian
03-13-2004, 11:35 AM
There is no realistic audience base for Liberal-hate radio. People don't want to hear day after day how fucked up they are and listen to the message of hate these people spew.

FORD
03-13-2004, 12:37 PM
"liberal hate radio":rolleyes:

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength.

The Orwellian nature of Busheep never fails to amaze (and sicken) me.

Dave's PA Rental
03-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
No one wants to drive to and from work every day listening to how America sucks, and how they're all just one paycheck away from bankruptcy.

Wait, wasnt that the message that Rush was spewing for all 8 years of the Clinton Presidency?

You conservatives proved that there IS a market for that...

(and yes, I have listened to Rush on several occasions. Every now and then I listen to see if what he is saying makes sense to me...hasnt happened yet)

Dave's PA Rental
03-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
People don't want to hear day after day how fucked up they are and listen to the message of hate these people spew.

see my last post.

Dave's PA Rental
03-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
People don't want to hear day after day how fucked up they are and listen to the message of hate these people spew.

You just described Rush's audience to a "T".

Dave's PA Rental
03-13-2004, 01:36 PM
I voted for Clinton in 92, and by the time he left office, I was embarrased that I had voted for him.

After 9/11, I was proud of Bush...I think that handled the situation as best as anyone could. Now I am embarrased that he is our President.

Bush had me up until this Howard Stern controversy, and the obvious attempt by Bush of undermining our Freedom Of Speech.

Dave's PA Rental
03-13-2004, 01:38 PM
And please spare me the 800-word copied/pasted conservative article defending Bush about this.

This is worse than Watergate and you know it.

FORD
03-13-2004, 02:42 PM
And it's definitely worse than some guy getting his dick sucked too.

ELVIS
03-13-2004, 03:04 PM
And you two hate-mongerers buy into the lies...

And no you fool.. Saying "******" is not "definitely worse" than the president screwing a young girl in office and lying about it to the world...

And us conservatives still didn't HATE Clinton for that incident, like you peace loving-bleeding heart-Saddam has feelings too-terrorists have civil rights-liberals HATE Bush...

Get a life and a real job...:rolleyes:

Dave's PA Rental
03-13-2004, 08:51 PM
wow, Ive never been called a "hatemongerer" before... Is that what Bill O'reiley told all you idiots to call us Democrats?

I dont know if this whole Howard Stern thing has been covered here, so I apologize if im covering something again...

I dont usually buy into these liberal conspiracies as much as FORD does, but dont you think its ironic that the president of Clear Channel decides to throw Stern off his stations THE DAY BEFORE he has to testify befor Congress? Clear Channel recently re-up'ed their contract with Stern (this was pre-Janet Jackson floppy boob). And all of a sudden, the shtick that Stern has been doing for the last 10 years on Clear Channel stations becomes offensive...right around the same time that Stern voices his opposition to President Bush.

Stern didnt even say "******". The guy that boned Paris Hilton did, on the phone. Once he said it, Stern ended the phone call.

And Elvis, please dont group me with FORD. I guess you havent read my earlier posts...I HATED Howard Dean, and I was ALL FOR thumping that fucker Saddam out of Iraq. Bush's FATHER should have fucking finished the job before more Americans had to go back there to die, and tens of thousands of Kurds and other Iraqi's got BUTCHERED by Saddam and his cronies.

steve
03-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Yes. No. I agree with that. No, I disagree with this.

Anyway, the liberal opinion media already exists...

The Simpsons
South Park
The Daily Show
The Onion
The Howard Stern Show (the news commentaries and making fun of celebrities parts of it anyway)
www.whitehouse.org

...it's just in the form of satire.

rustoffa
03-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Daves PA rental
wow, Ive never been called a "hatemongerer" before... Is that what Bill O'reiley told all you idiots to call us Democrats?

Well,calling folks idiots might get ya called a "hatemonger".I dunno about hatemongerer.....did you type that Elvis?
:D

Dave's PA Rental
03-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Dude, if im a hatemongerer, shouldnt you be welcoming me into the fold?

lucky wilbury
03-14-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Daves PA rental
I voted for Clinton in 92, and by the time he left office, I was embarrased that I had voted for him.

After 9/11, I was proud of Bush...I think that handled the situation as best as anyone could. Now I am embarrased that he is our President.

Bush had me up until this Howard Stern controversy, and the obvious attempt by Bush of undermining our Freedom Of Speech.

i guess you won't be for the gold digging senator either then:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040229/ap_on_el_pr/kerry_stern_3

Kerry: Stations Have Right to Pull Stern
Sun Feb 29, 5:43 PM ET

NEW YORK - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) said radio stations are within their right to pull Howard Stern off the air if they object to the shock jock's racy show.

"Howard Stern does have the right to say whatever he wants anywhere, but he doesn't necessarily have the right to say it on that station if the people who run the station don't want him to," Kerry said while campaigning in New York, where Stern's show is broadcast.

A questioner at the town hall meeting in Brooklyn asked Kerry to stand up for Stern's right to say what he wants because the Republican-led government is repressing his right to free speech.

Kerry said he disagrees that Stern faces repression.

"If you are working for somebody and they have a set of rules, that's the deal," Kerry said. "And it doesn't mean he can't go out and say it somewhere if somebody else wants to have him say that."

Clear Channel Communications this week yanked Stern off stations in San Diego, Pittsburgh, Rochester, N.Y., Louisville, Ky., and Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Fla. Clear Channel said the suspension would last until the Stern show met its programming guidelines.

Stern's nationally syndicated show appears on more than 40 stations across North America and draws millions of listeners.

Dave's PA Rental
03-14-2004, 07:41 AM
I guess I wont...

steve
03-14-2004, 09:38 AM
the Kerry quote was dated Feb. 29th.
Frankly, I was not concerned about Clear Channel's decision - because regardless of their reasons, Clear Channel is a private company. Perhaps they support Bush. Perhaps they are the FOX News of radio. In such a case, I can listen to their broadcasts and decide for mysellf whether I like them or not and turn the channel - just like I do every single time O'Reiley comes on the air.

But what Kerry has not commented on is what has happened in the past week and a half since Clear Channel made their decision - that of the FCC's proposal to raise individual fines from 12,000 per offense (fines that target companies) to 500,000 PER OFFENSE (with the fines targeting individuals).
The raising of the fines gives the FCC WAY TOO MUCH POWER to shut people up that [whoever happens to be the chair ] doesn't like.

I will be very interested in how Mr. Kerry votes on the legislation on this particular issue. For as much as I like his ideas in many other respects, in may turn me towards Nader - at least in theory.

It sems to me Kerry's logic with regards to giving the FCC this power would be a big "NO". Considering his logic is that individual, private companies should have the right to not boradcast someone's point of view that those particular individual companies disagree with, his view likewise would be that those private companies have the right to broadcast the points of view of individuals they beleive to be entertaining and/or reasonable.

FORD
03-14-2004, 11:13 AM
There's no "perhaps" about it, Steve. Not only does Clear Channel support Junior, they are so closely connected with the BCE that they might as well be considered state owned media. The guys who run the company have been business partners with Junior from his days with the Texas Rangers all the way through his term as Governor of Texas. The Clear Channel media empire was built from those deals they made with George Bush Jr.

And Clear Channel's problem wasn't so much Stern's guest saying "******" as it was Stern himself saying things critical of the BCE - Florida, 9-11, Iraq, etc..

And Kerry's defense of Clear Channel, as well as his acceptance of campaign funds from News Corp (parent company of FAUX News) is very disturbing indeed.

steve
03-14-2004, 11:29 AM
We'll see what happens when the vote regarding granting the FCC the power of the "Ministry of Truth" goes down.

However, with regards to Clear Channel and FOX News - there is no doubt that their personalities' opinions lean Republican all the way. However, I'll go with Voltaire in saying that although I disagree with just about all of their pundits opinions, I will defend to the death their right to say it.

With regards to Clear Channel being a "state run media" - I beleive that is a valid issue, yes. However, it is an issue of corruption and one within the bounds of Campaign Finance Reform. The problem does not lie in Clear Channel and Fox (FAUX, as you say) News' opinions, but rather in their purported financial dealings with politicians.

Everyone should be concerned about giving the FCC so much power, though - because it is an issue outside the bounds of Republican and Democratic political ideaologies. It is an issue of granting a federal agency that is not a court of law the power to relegate speech.

Dave's PA Rental
03-14-2004, 11:41 AM
very well said, steve

BigBadBrian
03-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by FORD
There's no "perhaps" about it, Steve. Not only does Clear Channel support Junior, they are so closely connected with the BCE that they might as well be considered state owned media. The guys who run the company have been business partners with Junior from his days with the Texas Rangers all the way through his term as Governor of Texas. The Clear Channel media empire was built from those deals they made with George Bush Jr.

And Clear Channel's problem wasn't so much Stern's guest saying "******" as it was Stern himself saying things critical of the BCE - Florida, 9-11, Iraq, etc..

And Kerry's defense of Clear Channel, as well as his acceptance of campaign funds from News Corp (parent company of FAUX News) is very disturbing indeed.

:rolleyes: Tin Foil Beanie Time.

Dave's PA Rental
03-14-2004, 04:23 PM
get the coat-hangers in the ceiling...