PDA

View Full Version : The Official NHL Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2005, 12:51 PM
TSN.ca Staff

7/13/2005 12:38:41 PM

And now for the words everyone has been waiting to hear: The deal is done!

The NHL and NHL Players' Association have finally reached an agreement (pending ratification) on a new six-year collective bargaining agreement that - if approved by the NHL board of governors next Thursday and the rank and file membership of the NHLPA next Tuesday - will officially end the stalemate on July 21.

The agreement, a complex document reportedly numbering more than 600 pages, came after the two sides staged marathon negotiating sessions for nine consecutive days. Since the 2004-05 NHL season was officially cancelled on Feb. 16, the league and union have met on 82 occasions, leading to an agreement that will revamp the way the entire professional hockey industry conducts its business.

The league went into this lockout, which started on Sept. 15, 2004, seeking cost certainty and believes it has achieved that with a new economic system from top to bottom.

It is expected both the NHL and NHLPA will move to ratify the agreement within the next seven days, with a formal announcement on July 21. During that time, it is expected the new CBA will be distributed to all in the hockey industry so they can begin getting themselves up to speed on a myriad of new rules and regulations.

Among the most significant are:

- a hard team-by-team salary cap with a payroll of range of $21 million to $39 million (in the first year), which includes all player costs (benefits, insurance etc).

- the league's total expenditure on player costs (salaries, bonuses, benefits and insurance) is not permitted to exceed 54 per cent of defined hockey-related revenue and the salary cap and payroll range will move up or down as revenues increase or decrease each year of the deal.

- a 24 per-cent salary rollback for any NHL player who has time remaining on an existing contract, keeping in mind that the players will receive none of the monies they were slated to earn in the lost season of 2004-05.

- liberalized free agency (including unrestricted status at 27 by year four of the deal), a more restrictive entry level system, totally revamped salary arbitration, improved pension benefits and a revenue-sharing plan.

This agreement (pending ratification) will kick off the most bizarre and busiest off-season in NHL history after the league became the first major professional loop to lose an entire year to labour strife.

As tutorials are conducted to allow NHL owners, general managers, NHL players and player agents to understand the new economic order, plans are already in the works for the two ratification votes.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will be recommending acceptance of this agreement to the governors, so a simple majority of the league's 30-man ruling body will be enough to ratify it.

It's also expected the NHLPA's executive committee, led by president Trevor Linden, will be endorsing the deal, which means a simple majority of the NHLPA's more than 700 members will be enough to make it binding. For those players who cannot physically make it to the membership meeting, the vote will be conducted through the NHLPA's secure website, The Source.

Assuming both groups ratify, the NHL is expected to begin a brief transition period before the league fully re-opens for business.

But before teams and players start to concern themselves with the specifics of transition - such as the buying out of some players to allow teams to meet cap requirements or the attempted signing of 2003 and 2004 draft picks who would re-enter the 2005 entry draft if not signed - the league is expected to unveil significant changes to the game, on and off the ice.

Because no season was played in 2004-05, there is no order of selection for the 2005 entry draft, which is scheduled to take place as a scaled-down event in Ottawa on July 30. Usually, teams draft in inverse order of finish from the recently-concluded season, but this time there will be a weighted draft lottery (with the teams who have fared poorest over the last few years to get marginally better odds than those who fared well) to determine who gets the first overall pick and the right to pick young phenom Sidney Crosby. That lottery is scheduled to take place on July 21 when the NHL is expected to formally announce the new CBA.

In addition to that major business, the NHL is also expected to unveil significant rule changes aimed at making the game more exciting and fan friendly, including shootouts to end tie games and the removal of the red line for the purpose of allowing two-line passes.

While the regular season will remain at 82 games long for each team, the format of that schedule may be altered, along with a potential expansion of the NHL playoffs from 16 to 20 teams.

Once the NHL's formal news conference is put to bed, along with the lottery and rule changes, the brief transition period should unfold in order to take care of the loose ends from the expired CBA. At some point, the NHL will declare itself open for business and NHL teams will be sorting through a huge pool of unrestricted free agents as many teams make themselves over from the ground up.

Whether it is the brave new world the NHL hopes, remains to be seen, but the level of activity and uncertainty will be higher than at any other time in league history.

For now, though, the only thing that matters in the short term is this: The deal (pending ratification) is done.

Full Bug
07-13-2005, 01:06 PM
I will watch again, but they will have a hell of a time getting the average fan back....

Matt White
07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
JUst so long as they don't change too much....

"No red lIne"

Give me a break! Roller-Hockey, anyone?!?

Nickdfresh
07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
I can hardly wait!

Matt White
07-13-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm just waitin' to see if the RED WINGS will be able to afford to bring back the Cap'N' for one final season!!!

WhaWhaWha
07-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Rightaway I notice a few things ...

- This is basically a 54% cap, with an escrow system ala NBA. The max per team will be 55% ($39M) and the min will be 30% ($21M). This is a TERRIBLE deal compared to the the deal the NHL offered previously (I think in December). 54% hard cap is also a terrible mark compared to other leagues, namely the NBA (soft cap at 58%) and NFL (hard cap at 61%)

- The biggest bone thrown to the PA is probably the 27 yrs UFA eligibility. Considering most players don't "come to age" until mid 20's, it'll be very difficult for teams, especially small market teams, to hold on to players they developed in house.

A lot of questions still remain though, such as how will the revenue sharing work (include regular season revenue or post seson only? ... then again, it's less of an issue when the floor % is so low at 30% or $21M) ... what about contract restructuring / buyout? Is the 20% individual player salary cap somewhere in the CBA?

I guess as we wait and more details come out we'll know.

The NBA took a few days to get a deal and the NHL decides to cancel a season and take over 100 days! Looks good on em!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Hell ya, I'll be back....

Things I'm looking for...

Lower ticket prices, ESPECIALLY in the box seats close to the ice...

Tag up offsides, also no line changes after icing the puck.... That should really keep the flow going...

Also like the removal of the red line for two line passes.... It opens the offense up, backs up the defense, but at the same time doesn't make it like a "cherry picking" scenario...

They're also going to taper the uniforms, meaning less fabric for clutching on the forwards, and less fabric for the goalies to shield the puck...

Game on !!!!

Poj, get the beer cold !!!!

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2005, 07:48 PM
The Leafs have already emailed all of their seasons seat holders

telling them ticket prices will not increase this year.

If you know how the Leafs work, this also means ticket prices

will definitely NOT decrease this year.

And the idiots will buy every seat in five minutes as usual meaning

zero chance for the average Joe to take his kids to a game.

Nickdfresh
07-13-2005, 08:06 PM
So...rules changes?

I've heard four-on-four OT, then three-on-three if no one scores?

I also heard that they are going to have a mini-playoffs where four additional teams will fight it out in a mini-series of maybe three games.

What I heard on the radio anyways...

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

I've heard four-on-four OT, then three-on-three if no one scores?

Then a shoot out.

No ties.

Nickdfresh
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
I dunno, I don't like shootouts.

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Is Buffalo still going to have a team?

Seriously, I'm not being an ass here, weren't they

looking for new ownership??

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
I dunno, I don't like shootouts.

neither do I.

Terrible way to lose a hard fought game.

And the way the Leafs shoot on breakaways...:rolleyes:

Va Beach VH Fan
07-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Is Buffalo still going to have a team?

Seriously, I'm not being an ass here, weren't they

looking for new ownership??

They got new ownership last year...

guwapo_rocker
07-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
They got new ownership last year...

Thank You,

Guess that would be 2 years ago now though huh?

what waz zat
07-13-2005, 10:11 PM
All they have to do is ENFORCE the obstruction calls and the game will flow. Eliminating teh red line might help but then teams with no skaters will just set up a "trap" around their own blue line

ALinChainz
07-13-2005, 10:14 PM
I'll be back.

I am a diehard Red Wing fan.

Nickdfresh
07-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Thank You,

Guess that would be 2 years ago now though huh?

Sorry, I missed that (three hours sleep last night): Tom GOLISANO is the Rochester Billionaire and philanthropist owner of PAYCHEX. He bought the SABRES after the ADELPHIA debacle. The former owner, John REGAS (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5396406), has just been sentenced to 15-years in prison for his defrauding of investors in the ADELPHIA Cable scandal.

http://www.puckupdate.com/archives/2003_09_21-2003_09_27.html

Sabres Feeling Better

Some nice news out of Buffalo. Tom Golisano, the new owner of the Sabres, is actually doing a pretty good job with the team so far.
According to the Buffalo News, suite and season ticket sales are both up from last season.
But Golisano isn't stopping there. He's also trying to expand the Sabres into a wider area. He's targetting Rochester, which neighbors Buffalo in upstate New York, and Southern Ontario.
Obviously, it's still early to tell, but Golisano seems to understand sports. He also seems to have a lot of common sense. Owners around the league could really learn a lot from Golisano. He's getting creative to keep a once-struggling team in a relatively small market, He's not complaining. He's not fielding an AHL-worthy team. He's just using his brain.
The whole thing is quite refreshing.
Posted by Steven Ovadia on Tuesday, September 23, 2003, 08:06 AM

guwapo_rocker
07-14-2005, 07:27 AM
I'll have to get down to Buffalo for some games!!

It's impossible to get Leaf tickets here.

Full Bug
07-14-2005, 08:11 AM

Not if you take out a loan from the bank or mortgage your house....:D

Bob_R
07-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Hockey's back! :bananna:

Nickdfresh
07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I'll have to get down to Buffalo for some games!!

The rumor here is that it might be difficult to get SABRES tickets this year. They're far more prepared than most teams for the season (the only team that had all of their players under contract during the lockout). They may even make a run.

Nickdfresh
07-14-2005, 09:26 AM
A BRAND-NEW NHL

CBA may bring level playing field, big rules changes

By BUCKY GLEASON
News Sports Reporter
7/14/2005

Associated Press photo
NHL players have been inactive since Dave Andreychuk hoisted the Stanley Cup in June 2004.

No doubt, it was painful. The National Hockey League knew it would suffer irreparable damage long before declaring war with its players' association over a new collective bargaining agreement. The lockout definitely took its toll on the league, the players and frustrated fans caught in the middle.

Calculating the losses, if possible, could take years. Already, we can count a full season and more than $2 billion in potential revenue that vanished during the 2004-05 season. There's no telling how many people disappeared in the crossfire as billionaire owners and millionaire players bickered over the almighty dollar.

Losses, there were plenty, but think about what was gained.

For starters, hockey fans get their league back knowing that each team has a legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup. It's a refreshing change from recent years in which the rich almost always outperformed the poor. Ultimately, the new CBA should create more balance, better games, more interest and long-term viability.

Commissioner Gary Bettman insisted there would be cost certainty once the smoke cleared, and he was right. The six-year agreement in principle reached Wednesday morning in New York will include the long-awaited and much-debated salary cap, plus a 24 percent rollback on existing salaries. Both should help bring the NHL back onto solid ground after many teams spent years on the brink of financial disaster.

Looking back, it's fitting that it took exactly 82 meetings for owners and players to get it right considering they had already wiped out 82 games for each team. Funny, too, how a lockout that lasted 301 days had the opposite result of the one 11 years ago that lasted 103 days. The difference this time was the owners won.

Perhaps things are back to being fair.

The salary cap was the biggest hurdle in this grand debate because for months owners and players were equally steadfast in their positions. Last season might have been saved had the players, battlers by nature, caved sooner and accepted the fact that a salary cap was unavoidable. Once last season was lost, so was their leverage.
Remember, the players' union dealt with virtually a different set of owners who had
purchased teams since 1994-95, the last time there was a lockout. The current owners had much more money and far more resolve to withstand a long work stoppage, which was why they received the deal they needed.

The players took a beating in negotiations, but many failed to realize certain concessions should eventually make them stronger as a whole. For example, a provision in the new deal prohibits one player from siphoning more than 20 percent of a team's payroll. It was designed to rid teams of payroll-swallowing, team-fracturing stars whose contracts threatened to drive the league out of business.

But there could be a positive side effect. With less money being spent on them, more should be available to other players. Basically, it should create more balanced payrolls across the league. General managers will think twice before spending $7 million on one player when paying two players $3.5 million each makes more sense. Certainly, players can feed their families on $3.5 million a year.

Are there loopholes? We'll see after owners, players and agents comb through the fine print in the 600-plus page document. Owners thought they had a solid deal after the last lockout, but the NHLPA quickly found ways to exploit its weaknesses. Average salaries soared from $572,000 in 1993-94 to $1.8 million in 2003-04, when player contracts and league revenue were mutually exclusive.

In the new and supposedly improved NHL, the two will be linked.

It should make should make for a healthier league, one that fosters stronger competition between markets large and small. The distance between New York and Long Island can be measured by miles and not by millions. The same goes for Buffalo and Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. The top 10 revenue-producing teams are expected to share a percentage with the bottom 10. That alone is progress.

The salary cap is expected to be between $37 million and $39 million, but it will also include a salary floor of about $24 million. Teams previously drowning in red ink now know that 54 percent of league revenues will be tied to player costs. Players will get their money, but it will be a smaller, more reasonable amount given hockey's place among major professional sports. Conversely, teams will be forced to spend.

Fans should see improvement on the ice, too, and for that they praise the hockey gods. The league didn't spend 301 days solely on contract issues with the NHLPA. Instead, the season away from the rink allowed players and league officials to address a sport that had alienated the very people who paid their salaries. They will be back if the product is worth watching.

One way to make the game better is to change the rules, restoring speed and skill that had been harnessed by the neutral-zone trap. There's a chance the red line will be removed when the NHL returns, which would create more scoring chances. Goalie equipment is almost certain to be downsized, which would create more goals. Shootouts are a strong possibility, which should create more interest.

Officials can tinker with the rules all they want, but the best way to improve the game is by fixing the NHL. It's what the owners hoped to accomplish last September, when they closed the doors and engaged in the longest sports labor dispute in North American history.

No doubt, the lockout was excruciating. It was destructive. In the end, it was also necessary.

e-mail: bgleason@buffnews.com

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050714/1064579.asp

guwapo_rocker
07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I am going to try to get a Sabres five game club package, and maybe

more if I find others who are interested. All weekend games of course.

Bill Lumbergh
07-14-2005, 11:30 AM
When it comes to my baseball, football, and basketball team, I'm a die hard......... win, lose or draw. When it comes to hockey? If the Sharks are good I'll watch.........if not, nope.

Matt White
07-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I love the spin....

The Truth:

"The League over-expanded in the 1990's & over-paid it's athletes. Now, in an effort to stop the blood-loss, owners are finally addressing the 30+ year problem of the "Haves" and the "have nots".

Why did Wayne Gretzky get traded in 1988? Same problem addressed now: Small market clubs couldn't compete with the big market ones.
About time this gets put to bed.

Nickdfresh
07-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I am going to try to get a Sabres five game club package, and maybe

more if I find others who are interested. All weekend games of course.

I sat near some CANDIAN fans in a SABRES game many years ago.

They have bus packages for SABRES games offerend by travel companies based in TORONTO. They feed you and provide much beer and alcohol, and you don't have to worry about border crossings or about driving. And from what I heard, the price was really reasonable. Maybe times have changed though, I dunno...

guwapo_rocker
07-14-2005, 12:38 PM
I think they still do it. I noticed a section for Canadians on the Sabres

website, it's under construction right now, but it may offer packages

when it opens.

Dave's PA Rental
07-14-2005, 01:18 PM
A BRAND-NEW NHL

CBA may bring level playing field, big rules changes

By BUCKY GLEASON
News Sports Reporter
7/14/2005

They will be back if the product is worth watching.

One way to make the game better is to change the rules, restoring speed and skill that had been harnessed by the neutral-zone trap.

In my opinion, they didnt have to change the rules, THEY JUST HAD TO ENFORCE THEM!!!!

I dont really care if they get rid of the red line...just call the goddam clutching, holding, one-hand-off-the-stick-grabbing-the-jersey bullshit.

Keep both hands on the friggin stick (unless you are knocking the puck out of the air) and keep the sticks below the waist.

Oh yeah, no more Michellin-Man goalie pads...and shootouts are cool.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
In my opinion, they didnt have to change the rules, THEY JUST HAD TO ENFORCE THEM!!!!

The primary reason that Lemieux retired the first time, besides his back....

Dave's PA Rental
07-14-2005, 10:37 PM
The primary reason that Lemieux retired the first time, besides his back....

I know...

But his bad back was really caused by the two-handers he was taking from the defensemen in front of the net...

By the way, and this is coming from an neutral Bruins fan...and I saw them both live...Mario was better than Gretzky.

Bob_R
07-14-2005, 10:42 PM
I saw them both live as well Dave and I think Gretz was better.

What a treat to have been a fan with both those guys playing in our lifetime huh?

Dave's PA Rental
07-14-2005, 10:48 PM
When I saw Gretzky...the thing that stuck out in my mind was you could tell that he 'saw' the entire ice surface at once...

When I saw Lemieux, the thing that stuck in my mind was he was the perfect, most complete hockey player...

Mario had better skills, but Gretzky saw the game in slow motion...if you know what I mean...

Bob_R
07-14-2005, 10:56 PM
When Gretzky was a child he would have a blank piece of paper and a pencil with him when he watched a game. And he would just follow the puck around and trace and the paper where the puck was going as the game was being played. Amazing.

Dave's PA Rental
07-14-2005, 10:58 PM
I wonder if his dad saved any of those pieces of paper...

VonHalen
07-15-2005, 06:28 PM
hockey will never be the same

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 11:50 AM
What next?
Owners won, but what will they do with the victory?
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2005 8:49PM; Updated: Thursday July 14, 2005 1:43AM

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/michael_farber/07/13/nhl.return/t1_0713_sawyer_ap.jpg
Ken Sawyer
Penguins president Ken Sawyer wore a big grin while discussing the settlement Wednesday, and no wonder. Under the new deal, the teams get to keep a bigger chunk of their revenues.
AP

RELATED
• NHL, players reach new labor deal

After 301 days -- roughly the length of the Franco-Prussian War, although with more entertaining news conferences -- the NHL officially wound up whipping the Players Association, which took a few systemic scraps from the owners that can they can use to line the woodshed where Gary Bettman had taken them.

For all the huzzahs about a new economic order, the whole exercise, couched in fancy philosophical terms, was nothing more than a redistribution of income. Even if it might take some time to rebound in a poisoned atmosphere, the NHL probably will be again, as it was before the lockout, a $2.1 billion business. At its core the most significant change in the CBA is that now the owners get a larger share of it.

After giving up 100 per cent of their salaries in the lost season, and agreeing to a 24 per cent rollback -- that's a minimum 124 per cent loss, if you are keeping score, and the NHLPA has to be -- the players are guaranteed no more (or less) than 54 per cent of the pot. The new lower age of free agency -- now available after seven years in the pros or age 27( before the end of the deal) -- certainly is a breakthrough, but a 20 per cent limit on any individual contract within a team's cap (a ceiling of $39 million) further limits the already reduced amount of money available for the players. Under the current cap, the most a player can earn is $7.4 million, far off Jaromir Jagr's previous league-best of $11 million. The new generation of free agents will be all dressed up with not too many places to go.

No matter how often you hear the word "healing" in the next week, the lockout will be remembered as the year Bettman held his breath until the players turned blue.

NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow, who was forced to backtrack on his no salary-cap vow, told his membership that it would take 18 to 24 months to settle the dispute, which called for a level of resolve the players simply did not have. Goodenow had a clear vision of the nature of the fight -- even if he misread the NHL's determination to hang on terrier-like to a cap -- but he was too far out in front of his membership, more committed than his membership to matters of principle. He should have seen it coming. When half of its membership began drifting to Europe for the winter, the glue of solidarity that held the union together began to dry.

When the season was canceled in late February, Goodenow said that everything was off the table and bargaining would start anew. But for players without the stomach to stick around or stick to their fundamental negotiating positions, the offer of a 24 per cent rollback obviously remained and was topped off with a cap. The concept of linkage the PA once derided -- as the game grows, the cap rises even as the 54 percent share remains the same -- suddenly became a lifeline. If the game returns to a semblance of health, the players will merely have been routed, not crushed, in this labor fight that reduced a proud league to near irrelevance.

But a return to a robust product is hardly assured. The wounds from the 1994 baseball strike lingered at least four years. While the hardy coterie of hockey fans, as blindingly loyal in their way as NASCAR fans are in theirs, might drag themselves back to the arenas more quickly, there is no guarantee. The thing that brought baseball fans back to the park was offense, specifically home runs in that synthetically muscular summer of 1998. The template has been established. The same kind of thing could kickstart the NHL, which is what makes the impending rule changes -- scheduled to be announced next Thursday after both sides ratify the agreement -- so critical.

NHL Senior Vice-President Colin Campbell has been working for months to reshape the game, and it is liable to come back with bells such as the removal of the red line and whistles such as a shootout to forever end the infamous NHL tie. The goalie pads certainly will shrink to 11 inches, which is hardly enough, and goalie gloves and sweaters will be smaller. But without a commitment to a calling the rules against obstruction and preventing the NHL from degenerating into rodeo -- goals per game have dipped to near historic lows but muggings are at all-time highs -- the trumpeting of change is premature. After at least five crackdowns on obstruction in the past decade, fans should view the NHL's coming pledge of A Whole New Game with circumspection.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_farber/07/13/nhl.return/1.html

guwapo_rocker
07-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Want to fix the NHL?

Put the rules back to 1972/

Playoffs, Leafs vs. Flyers, bloodbaths, that's hockey!!

Don't like it? Wipe your pussy and fuck off!!!

UGS
07-16-2005, 02:05 PM
I saw Sidney Crosby play here in Halifax last year. . .he has mad skills and can definitely see the game in slo-mo. . .crazy impressive to watch him as a 16 year old and be so good

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by UGS
I saw Sidney Crosby play here in Halifax last year. . .he has mad skills and can definitely see the game in slo-mo. . .crazy impressive to watch him as a 16 year old and be so good

Yeah, now watch him go to the Leafs or Red Wings...

Just watch....

Full Bug
07-16-2005, 03:49 PM

I think I could live with seeing him in a Leaf's jersey....:D

UGS
07-16-2005, 03:52 PM
As long as he doesn't go to the fucking Rangers, I'm happy. As if they have three balls in the draft lottery. . .

Matt White
07-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Was listening to SPORTS talk raio on my way to SARNIA yesturday....

STEVE YZERMAN said he's only coming back to the RED WINGS if it makes sense for the team.....

NO CHANCE of him playing anywhere else, he said.

A "FareWell Tour" for the longest serving Captain in NHL history.....

FUCKING RIGHT!!!:rockit2:

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I can understand the feeling that an entire year was lost...

But the difference between the better teams and lesser teams, in terms of the percentage of getting Crosby, is not much at all...

The Penguins will be one of four clubs -- Columbus, Buffalo and the New York Rangers are the others -- that will have a 6.25 percent chance of landing Crosby...

Ten other clubs will have a 4.17 percent chance, while the remaining 16 will have a 2.08 percent chance....

You see, 6.25% compared to 2.08%, ain't too much, ya know ???

I'm telling ya, it's gonna be one of the heavyweights.....

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Was listening to SPORTS talk raio on my way to SARNIA yesturday....

STEVE YZERMAN said he's only coming back to the RED WINGS if it makes sense for the team.....

NO CHANCE of him playing anywhere else, he said.

A "FareWell Tour" for the longest serving Captain in NHL history.....

FUCKING RIGHT!!!:rockit2:

Is HASEK coming back? that traitor!:mad:

Dave's PA Rental
07-16-2005, 08:04 PM

Just watch....

Theres no way he doesnt play for the Rangers...

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 08:09 PM

I really think that percentage may be much bigger than it seems. However, I wouldn't rule out a trade...

UGS
07-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I can understand the feeling that an entire year was lost...

But the difference between the better teams and lesser teams, in terms of the percentage of getting Crosby, is not much at all...

The Penguins will be one of four clubs -- Columbus, Buffalo and the New York Rangers are the others -- that will have a 6.25 percent chance of landing Crosby...

Ten other clubs will have a 4.17 percent chance, while the remaining 16 will have a 2.08 percent chance....

For sure. . .There's 4 teams with 3 balls each, so 12 out of 48 chance of first pick going to one of those teams.

There's ten teams with 2 balls each, so 20/48 chance for first pick to be w/ one of those teams

Then finally 16 teams w/ one ball each, so 16/48 chance for first pick to go to one of the best teams in the league.

So statistically speaking, one of the middle teams will most likely get first pick. Go figure, the liklihood of Crosby going to one of the teams that "needs" him the most is the smallest for all the three groups as wholes.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't necessarily say that the better teams should be completely shut out, but I think the lesser teams should have been given a much higher of percentage of getting the pick....

ALinChainz
07-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Here's a list of prospective unrestricted free agents that could hit the market Aug. 1. Also listed are players whose contracts could be bought out.

Unrestricted free agents

Forwards: Jason Allison, Jason Arnott, Andrew Brunette, Valeri Bure, Anson Carter, Pavol Demitra, Tie Domi, Martin Gelinas, Greg Johnson, Peter Forsberg, Ron Francis, Jan Hlavac, Paul Kariya, Alexei Kovalev, Martin Lapointe, Eric Lindros, Mark Messier, Mike Modano, Alex Mogilny, Glen Murray, Markus Naslund, Joe Nieuwendyk, Andrei Nikolishin, Ziggy Palffy, Gary Roberts, Luc Robitaille, Martin Rucinsky, Martin St. Louis, Miroslav Satan, Teemu Selanne, Martin Straka, Cory Stillman, Tim Taylor, Scott Young.

Defenseman: Adrian Aucoin, Chris Chelios, Adam Foote, Roman Hamrlik, Alxeander Khavanov, Brian Leetch, Boris Mironov, Scott Neidermayer, Teppo Numminen, Sandis Ozolinsh, Brian Rafalski, Mike Rathje, Chris Pronger, Mathieu Schneider, Scott Stevens, Don Sweeney, Jason York, Alexei Zhitnik, Sergei Zubov.

Goaltenders: Roman Cechmanek, Byron Dafoe, Mike Dunham, Curtis Joseph, Nikolai Khabibulin, Chris Osgood, Garth Snow.

Could be bought out

Forwards: Tony Amonte, Vincent Damphousse, Dallas Drake, Sergei Fedorov, Bill Guerin, Bobby Holik, Jaromir Jagr, John LeClair, Darren McCarty, Owen Nolan, Keith Tkachuk, Pierre Turgeon, Doug Weight, Ray Whitney, Alexei Yashin, Alexei Zhamnov.

Defensemen: Eric Desjardins, Derian Hatcher, Darius Kasparaitis.

Goaltenders: Ed Belfour.

UGS
07-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Alexei Yashin is a joke. . .I hope no one buys him out and he gets sent packing back to Russia. Best thing Ottawa ever did was get rid of him.

Ottawa got the pick they used to get Spezza who is going to be a superstar for the Sens, and they also got big Chara who is arguably the best d-man in the NHL.

To the NYI, a fourth-line bum with a $90M contract hahahahaha

ALinChainz
07-20-2005, 05:32 PM
NHL going live with draft lottery

By Kara Yorio - SportingNews

Well, what do you know? The NHL has changed its mind and the draft lottery will be shown live on Canadian television network TSN. At 4 p.m. ET on Friday, there will be a half hour show to see what ball emerges.

The live viewing eliminates most of the possibility for conspiracy talk -- the idea that in some back room, the league leaned on the Board of Governors to decide it was in the best interest of the league and therefore all teams for Crosby to go to the Rangers.

The Rangers, by the way, deserve their legitimate shot at Crosby by the nature of their terrible play and lack of success over the last few years. The Rangers, Penguins, Blue Jackets and Sabres each will have three balls each in the lottery, giving them better odds at Crosby. Ten teams (Mighty Ducks, Thrashers, Flames, Hurricanes, Blackhawks, Oilers, Kings, Wild, Predators and Coyotes) will have two balls each, and the remaining teams will each have one.

Good work by the league to get this televised, even if there is no U.S. outlet for the show.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-20-2005, 08:02 PM
That's not entirely true...

They're going to show what team will pick where, starting at #30 up to #1, but the actual drawing of the balls will be backstage in a conference room with the team reps...

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/story.html?id=5d7ca8be-1b26-40bf-b473-ce3a81eaec5d

NHL changes its mind: draft lottery made into live event Friday

Pierre Lebrun
Canadian Press

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

TORONTO (CP) - The Sidney Crosby sweepstakes will be on TV after all.

It was confirmed Tuesday that the NHL draft lottery in New York will be televised Friday. But like the NBA, only the results of the draw will be shown. The actual drawing will take place away from the cameras. The original plan had been to hold the entire lottery behind closed doors during Friday's board of governors meeting, with commissioner Gary Bettman subsequently announcing the results at a news conference.

Now hockey fans will get to see how it unfolds. The order of the draft will be unveiled, starting with the 30th pick and ending with the prized first.

The event will be carried live on TV, starting at 4 p.m. EDT following the 1 p.m. board of governors meeting.

"Given the fact that we have been without NHL hockey for a year and that we have a lottery system in order to select the draft order it was imperative in my opinion to have a live event," said Crosby's agent Pat Brisson. "It obviously helps having Sidney Crosby part of the mystery."

The draft itself will be July 30 in Ottawa.

The league has promised to come back after a 301-day lockout showing more accessibility, wanting to open up for fans and media. Given the hype surrounding the draft lottery, with hockey phenom Crosby the top prize, it makes sense to make the most of the moment.

Crosby, the consensus No. 1 pick in the July 30 draft in Ottawa, will be hooked up to the Friday news conference via a satellite feed from his home town of Cole Harbour, N.S.

The Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers have the best mathematical shot at winning the lottery, with three balls each.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Atlanta Thrashers, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators and Phoenix Coyotes will have two balls each.

The rest of the teams in the league will have one ball each.

The NBA traditionally televises its draft lottery, but the show is actually 90 minutes after the actually drawing of the balls takes place in a conference room in the league's office in New Jersey.

Every team has a representative in the conference room, and "once you go in, you have to give up your cellphone, the whole shebang," said NBA spokesman Tim Frank.

The team representatives in the studio are unaware of the results until they are announced 90 minutes late on live television by the league's deputy commissioner Russ Granik.

The actual drawing is conducted by the NBA's legal department.

"Our event people do the drawing of the balls, they have a person with their back to the bin with a stopwatch that says, 'Now,' and then they draw four balls," said Frank. "That's how they make sure nobody's watching, to take away any of that suspicion, and then our lawyers are there to legitimize the decisions."

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 11:45 AM
NHL Players Set to Vote on New Contract
Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:35 AM EDT
The Associated Press
By IRA PODELL
http://web.adelphia.net/api/hangar.php/c21hcnRjcm9wOjIyMDoyNTAscmVzaXplOjIyMDoyNTA=/http://newsimages.adelphia.net/ap_photos//AJW10207202038.jpeg
New York Islanders' Michael Peca walks through the lobby of a hotel in Toronto where the NHLPA will will meet later in the day, Wednesday July 20, 2005. The union will hold a two-day meeting so players can voice their opinions on the tentative deal that was reached last week with the NHL board of governors and then vote on it. (AP PHOTO/CP, Adrian Wyld)
TORONTO (AP) — The NHL players' association entered ratification mode Thursday morning, the last step before approving a tentative deal reached last week between the union and league.

Talks went well into the night Wednesday, with players still milling about with each other well past 1 a.m. Just hours later, the approximate 225 players in attendance got together for a communal breakfast before resuming discussions at 8:30.

The ratification meeting began around 10 a.m., and was due to wrap up following lunch.

"Hopefully things are moving smoothly upstairs and we are able to get some good results and get back to work," St. Louis defenseman Chris Pronger said as he was leaving the hotel.

Many players are unhappy that a full season was lost and the union ended up accepting a salary cap anyway. They came to Toronto to find out why, and look forward.

Surely, many of the 700-plus players voiced displeasure over the deal after finally seeing it on paper. Those not in attendance will be able to vote via the Internet.

"When this is done, we're all going to be on the same side I hope," St. Louis center Doug Weight said. "It's OK to have questions and it's OK to be heated about them. This is our livelihood, after all."

If the deal passes, as expected, there will be no remaining obstacles in this labor war. The lockout will end soon after, and hockey talk will go back to which team is best instead of who came out ahead at the negotiating table.

"For people to judge whether we won or lost this deal, I think is ridiculous," Carolina forward Jeff O'Neill said. "We all got in this together and then some guys started piping off and maybe showed a few cracks in us as a group. But we're still in this together now."

The players' discussion of the collective bargaining agreement began in earnest around dinnertime Wednesday. Lots of information was exchanged before the vote that would determine the fate of next season.

Fans who sought autographs in the hotel lobby from hockey stars they've missed for a year will have to wait a little bit longer for some good news.

It looks as though it's coming.

"We had to stand up for what we thought we could get and that's the nature of the business. Now we have to move on," Weight said.

Players' association executive director Bob Goodenow took on the NHL and vowed not to take a salary cap or have player compensation linked to league-wide revenues.

By all accounts, this deal contains both.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's done what we asked him to do," O'Neill said. "He's led us and I think he's done the right things.

"Maybe as a group we underestimated how strong the owners were going to be. But we were all behind Bob and we were all in this together."

No doubt, the long night and day of internal talks brought out opposing opinions. That is what makes this meeting and vote so crucial and intriguing. It isn't even known if Goodenow will still be in charge of the union once the dust settles.

Some of those entrusted to negotiate a deal for the players are fellow players that make up the executive committee — headed by president Trevor Linden of the Vancouver Canucks.

It might not be the deal they wanted, but this is the one that will get the league back in action.

Hockey loyalty stretches beyond the 30 NHL rinks.

"You're not going to please everyone all the time, it's going to be good for some and bad for others, but it's a deal we have to live with at this stage," Pronger said. "(The executive committee) has been locked in a room for the last 12 weeks hammering this down. They deserve a lot of credit for getting an agreement with the league."

So all signs point to a ratification by the players. If that happens, commissioner Gary Bettman will join his adversary Goodenow at a podium in a Toronto hotel and announce that the NHL is back in business.

The league's board of governors will hold a ratification vote Friday during a meeting in New York, but that ballot is really just a formality. Bettman was sent out by the owners to get "cost certainty" — a hard salary cap tied to league revenues — and he has it.

That vote by the 30 teams is so much of a sure thing to pass that the league has already planned the televised draft lottery for Friday and an announcement on new rules changes for next season.

But for now, the biggest change is in how teams pay their players. The union liked the deal that stood in place for 10 years, following the previous lockout, and Bettman and the owners made it their mission to overhaul the system.

"I think it's unfair for guys to start to point the finger," New York Islanders forward Michael Peca said. "It is what it is. Any deal that we would have gotten was going to be significantly worse than the one we came off from.

"We tried to go in a certain direction, and at a certain time the executive committee tried to make the best of the situation they were in. I think they did that. I think they did a nice job."

Bettman's news conference Friday to announce the relaunch of the league won't have representatives from the players' association there, as the union will still be holding a meeting with agents to go over the CBA — a document numbering 600 pages.

Pending ratification, teams will have six days — beginning Saturday — to buy players out of their contracts to free cap space and nine days to negotiate with their unrestricted free agents.

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 05:48 PM
About 90% of the players have ratified this deal, that's great.

How about Jeremy Roenick though.

This dude has already said to the fans, "if you think we're spoiled, don't come to the games."

Now he wants the NHL to "rig" the draft lottery so the RANGERS get the first shot at phenom Sidney Crosby.

This guy's best playing years are far behind him, he's a walking injury now, and now he's drawing real negative attention for the league and his team.

Fairwrning
07-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Fuck hockey..correct me if i am wrong ..the players basically held out over the salary cap...which 1 year later they agreed to so they can play this year..
Fuck em..go get a real job...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-21-2005, 06:52 PM
All I know is the Penguins have no chance of winning the lottery, just not in the cards....

guwapo_rocker
07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
The draft lottery is on TSN at 4pm.

guwapo_rocker
07-22-2005, 04:09 PM
The draft in reverse order....

30. Tampa
29. Florida
28. Dallas
27. Colorado
26. Calgary
25. Edmonton
24. St. Louis
23. New Jersey
22. Boston
21. Toronto

guwapo_rocker
07-22-2005, 04:14 PM
20. Philadelphia
19. Detroit
18. Nashville
17. Phoenix
16. New York
15. Islanders
14. Washington
13. Buffalo
12. San Jose
11. Los Angeles

guwapo_rocker
07-22-2005, 04:26 PM
10. Vancouver
9. Ottawa
8. Atlanta
7. Chicago
6. Columbus
5. Montreal
4. Minnesota
3. Carolina
2. Anaheim
1. Penguins

Va Beach VH Fan
07-22-2005, 04:40 PM
All I know is the Penguins have no chance of winning the lottery, just not in the cards....

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT WHEN I'M WRONG !!!!!!

http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=hockeynews&page=nhl/news/adn3971143.htm

Penguins win lottery for top NHL draft pick
New York, NY (Sports Network) - The Sidney Crosby sweepstakes were held Friday, and the Pittsburgh Penguins won the right to select the phenom at next Saturday's NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa.

The Penguins were one of four teams with better odds in the slightly weighted draft drawing that gave all 30 teams a chance at securing the first- overall pick. The Blue Jackets, Rangers and Sabres were the other teams with the odds in their favor.

Crosby is the most anticipated NHL draft prospect in several years. A star center for the Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Crosby tallied 120 goals and 183 assists in his last two years of junior hockey. This past season for the Oceanic he netted 66 goals and 102 assists in just 62 games.

Crosby has already cashed in on his fame before being selected by an NHL club. In March he inked a multi-year, multi-million dollar endorsement deal with Reebok.

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim will select second with Carolina, Minnesota, Montreal, Columbus, Chicago, Atlanta, Ottawa and Vancouver rounding out the top 10.

The Los Angeles Kings own the 11th pick with San Jose, Buffalo, Washington and the New York Islanders completing the top 15. The New York Rangers have the 16th pick followed by Phoenix, Nashville, Detroit and Philadelphia.

Toronto has the 21st pick followed by Boston, New Jersey and St. Louis.

Edmonton will pick 25th followed by Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Florida. The defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning will be last.

Full Bug
07-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Lucky bastards....Yet the Pens will still find a way to suck....:D

superdave
07-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Minnesota got 4th pick, that's cool...

Full Bug
07-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Minnesota has a team? I thought the North Stars folded years ago....;)

guwapo_rocker
07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Minnesota has a team? I thought the North Stars folded years ago....;)

Is Ceasar Maneago still the goalie?

Bob_R
07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Is Ceasar Maneago still the goalie?

Yes. And JP Parise still plays wing.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Lucky bastards....Yet the Pens will still find a way to suck....:D

I doubt they'll "suck", that's just jealous humor Bugger... ;)

I mean let's be realistic, they're not printing Stanley Cup final tickets just yet...

But the Pens were smart the last two years before the lockout, they purposely got rid of the big contracts so they would be in a position to sign bigger names and lower prices when the new CBA came...

So guys like Kovalev and Lang may very well be coming back to the 'Burgh, but this time at a much lower prices...

Also, look for Zhamnov and Niedermayer to be signed as well...

In addition, don't forget that there is tentative new ownership, and that equals new money to sign new players...

But that 1st line of Lemieux, Crosby, and Recchi doesn't sound too bad, does it ???

Va Beach VH Fan
07-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm still absolutely fucking shocked, I can't believe they were lucky enough to win the lottery...

I've been watching the Pittsburgh shows tonight, as well as the websites, and the town is buzzing...

I almost didn't get to see the drawing...

I listened to picks 30-20 in the car on XM Radio...

Ran inside, and right then a storm was coming over the house, and my fookin' satellite lost the signal for a few minutes...

Came back on, they were down to the final 10...

So I'm thinking now, "well, it'll be a good player, but no way we get #1"...

Top 5...

Top 2...

HOLY SHIT !!!!

Gotta see what the new schedules look like now for some road trips !!!!

Dave's PA Rental
07-22-2005, 09:12 PM
hey VA...congrats on the top pick! Im shocked! Thank god this kid isnt going to be playing for the Mighty Ducks out west...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but then you listen to selfish Canadians like Bob McKenzie, who said something along the lines of "if Crosby goes to a big market team like the Rangers or the Leafs it'll be great for the NHL, but if a small market team (mentions the Penguins and other teams) get him "somehow, it will be bad for hockey"

I've always loved the Canadians passion for hockey, but sometimes they think the hockey world revolves around them...

If that was the case, there'd be more than 6 Canadian teams in the NHL....

Full Bug
07-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Bob McKenzie is kind of an idiot anyway, there are many others whose views I would be more interested in hearing on this subject....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2005, 09:50 AM
I hear ya Bug, that comment really irritated me....

I'm still in shock....

Just thinking about the ramifications....

And don't forget Malkin from last year !!!!

The NHL signed a deal with the IHF yesterday, which should facilitate getting Malkin signed and over to the 'Burgh from Russia....

Wow, Lemieux, Crosby, and Malkin as your 1st 3 lines at center...

I'll take that...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2005, 12:53 PM
I edited the thread title, hope you don't mind Guwapo.... :D

And the Flyers have made the first move....

Wow, this transitional period is REALLY gonna be interesting....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131219&hubName=nhl

Flyers buy out LeClair and Amonte

Associated Press

7/23/2005 11:40:32 AM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Philadelphia Flyers are buying out the contracts of forwards John LeClair and Tony Amonte.

The buyouts will be announced at a news conference scheduled for Saturday morning, team spokesman Zach Hill said.

The 36-year-old LeClair spent 10 years with the Flyers, and was a member of the famed "Legion of Doom'' line with Eric Lindros and Mikael Renberg in the mid-1990s. He tallied 382 goals and 379 assists overall in the regular season in his career with the Flyers and the Montreal Canadiens; he had 42 goals and 47 assists in the playoffs.

LeClair, who entered the lockout due $9 million US this season, was to make $6.84 million after the leaguewide 24 per cent pay cut.

Amonte, who started the lockout at about $5.61 million, was due $4.26 million. In 14 seasons with New York, Chicago, Phoenix and Philadelphia, Amonte tallied 392 goals and 436 assists in the regular season; he had 20 goals and 31 assists in 86 playoff games.

The buyouts will give the Flyers room to make qualifying offers to restricted free agents and begin negotiations with unsigned rookies.

Brett Norton
07-23-2005, 01:04 PM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT WHEN I'M WRONG !!!!!!

http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=hockeynews&page=nhl/news/adn3971143.htm

Penguins win lottery for top NHL draft pick
New York, NY (Sports Network) - The Sidney Crosby sweepstakes were held Friday, and the Pittsburgh Penguins won the right to select the phenom at next Saturday's NHL Entry Draft in Ottawa.

The Penguins were one of four teams with better odds in the slightly weighted draft drawing that gave all 30 teams a chance at securing the first- overall pick. The Blue Jackets, Rangers and Sabres were the other teams with the odds in their favor.

Crosby is the most anticipated NHL draft prospect in several years. A star center for the Rimouski Oceanic of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Crosby tallied 120 goals and 183 assists in his last two years of junior hockey. This past season for the Oceanic he netted 66 goals and 102 assists in just 62 games.

Crosby has already cashed in on his fame before being selected by an NHL club. In March he inked a multi-year, multi-million dollar endorsement deal with Reebok.

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim will select second with Carolina, Minnesota, Montreal, Columbus, Chicago, Atlanta, Ottawa and Vancouver rounding out the top 10.

The Los Angeles Kings own the 11th pick with San Jose, Buffalo, Washington and the New York Islanders completing the top 15. The New York Rangers have the 16th pick followed by Phoenix, Nashville, Detroit and Philadelphia.

Toronto has the 21st pick followed by Boston, New Jersey and St. Louis.

Edmonton will pick 25th followed by Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Florida. The defending Stanley Cup champion Tampa Bay Lightning will be last.

penguins rock!

Full Bug
07-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Your right Beach, things are really getting interesting, cant say that I have looked forward to the start of a season like this one for some time....

Matt White
07-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Gonna be an intersting season....

Many faces in New places!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Things are looking good so far getting Malkin...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131317&hubName=nhl

Penguins eager to add Malkin to the mix

Associated Press

7/24/2005 3:41:46 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - The Pittsburgh Penguins will know long before the start of training camp in September if 2004 first-round draft pick Evgeni Malkin will join an ever-growing lineup of scorers that will soon include Sidney Crosby.

Penguins general manager Craig Patrick has already talked to one of Malkin's agents, Pat Brisson, about signing the 18-year-old center for the 2005-06 season. Brisson also represents Crosby, which could be a plus for the Penguins.

With Malkin's agents also handling the 17-year-old Crosby, the Canadian super prospect who will be drafted No. 1 Saturday by the Penguins, it's likely they will push Malkin to sign with Pittsburgh so the two teens can start playing together and learning each other's games.

If that happens, it's conceivable the Penguins could open the season Oct. 5 with Crosby centering a top line that also includes player-owner Mario Lemieux and Mark Recchi, and Malkin centering their second line.

"We'd like to get him over here. ... We expect to have some dialogue over the next few days" with Malkin's agents, Patrick said. "We want to get him here as soon as we can."

Malkin, last year's No. 2 pick behind Russian forward Alexander Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals, is signed to a multi-year contract with his hometown Mettalurg Magnitogorsk of Russian's top pro league.

Malkin was the team's third-leading scorer last year, in a relatively low-scoring league, with 12 goals and 20 assists in 52 games.

"Based on what Malkin did last year, he's definitely ready," for the NHL, Patrick said.

Until now, the labour impasse that shut down the 2004-05 season and the expired transfer agreement between the NHL and the International Ice Hockey Federation has prevented the Penguins from attempting to sign Malkin.

The international agreement sets parameters under which a player's European team is compensated when that player signs with an NHL team. There was speculation Russian teams would not be part of any new deal and would seek higher transfer fees - in Malkin's case, perhaps as much as $2 million.

As reported on Saturday, a new transfer deal has been reached that gives NHL teams until Aug. 15 to sign players for this season, even those currently under contract in Europe.

Thus, the Penguins would have until then to sign Malkin, or he would play at least another season in Russia. The Penguins must sign Malkin by June 1, 2008, or relinquish his NHL rights.

Malkin's Russian contract is worth $1.3 million tax-free, and he could make more than that in Pittsburgh with performance bonuses. Under the new NHL labour agreement, Malkin can make as much as $984,200 in base salary next season, plus a signing bonus of slightly less than $300,000. But he could make several million dollars more in performance bonuses.

More incentive for Malkin: Lemieux has all but said the Penguins will add at least one more high-profile forward during the free agent signing period that begins Sunday.

They currently have seven players signed to contracts worth about $5.5 million. Even after determining how much Lemieux will make, and reaching terms with their restricted free agents - including Ryan Malone, Konstantin Koltsov, Dick Tarnstrom and Brooks Orpik - they figure to have about $12 million to $15 million available to sign players.

With owner-in-waiting William "Boots" Del Biaggio planning to increase the payroll by $10 million or $11 million from the approximately $20 million when they last played, the Penguins figure to be in the mid-range of NHL payrolls. They were at the bottom during the 2003-04 season.

Dave's PA Rental
07-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, but how's their defense?

(seriously, I dont know)

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
No doubt, they need to add a veteran D-man (or two)....

They've got a few real good youngsters back there, like Brooks Orpik, who's becoming a helluva hitter, and Ryan Whitney, who played great in minors this year....

As I said before, they're targeting Scott Neidermayer from the Devils....

Even if they don't get him, the way it's starting to look, there will be many others available....

Nickdfresh
07-25-2005, 10:28 AM
With new rules, the future is wide open
By BUCKY GLEASON
News Sports Reporter
7/23/2005
http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2005/07/23/actualsize/0723rules.jpg
For all the problems the National Hockey League had with its players' association, the biggest complaint from fans in recent years was that hockey had less appeal than a traffic jam. The "Fastest Game on Earth" was reduced to a crawl, and customers quickly found other avenues in which they could spend their money.

The NHL officially signed off on a new collective bargaining agreement Friday, and with the deal came several radical rules changes designed to produce more scoring chances and attract a dwindling fan base. Hockey is undergoing a much-needed face-lift after salaries and ticket prices skyrocketed and scoring plunged over the previous 10 seasons.

New rules alone will likely spark interest. Virtually every change was designed to create more room on the ice, which should produce more goals. Time will tell whether the modifications have their desired effect, but skill players who had been stifled in a congested neutral zone might finally participate in a league intent on showcasing their talent.

The new rules include:

• No red line. The line will still be visible and used for icing purposes, but two-line passes will be allowed in hopes of creating more room on the ice with long passes increasing the number of breakaways and odd-man rushes.

• Shootouts. Every game will have a winner and loser. The league hopes to decide tie games with four-on-four in overtime. If the two teams are still deadlocked, a shootout with three players from each team will be used to determine a winner.

• Tag-up offsides. Players initially offside will be allowed to skate back past the blue line and return to the attacking zone without a whistle. It should create more flow and fewer stoppages in play.

• Pushing the nets back and limiting where goalies can play the puck. The NHL initially tried creating space between the net and the boards because goalies became so adept at playing the puck. Now goalies can only play the puck in a trapezoid-shaped area behind the net. Moving the nets 2 feet back to 11 feet from the boards gives forwards more room to operate in front of the net.

• Smaller goalie equipment. Goaltenders' padding gradually became bigger, allowing them to cover more of the net. Pads will be reduced from 12 inches wide to 11 inches. Blockers, catchers and chest protectors will be downsized. Goalies will no longer look like the Michelin Man.

NHL Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell and Detroit Red Wings forward Brendan Shanahan, a 17-year veteran, played major roles in revamping the rulebook. Shanahan led a committee of players, general managers, coaches and broadcasters who were intent on trying to fix the game on the ice while Bettman and NHLPA chief Bob Goodenow wrestled over the CBA.

"The one thing I consistently heard (from fans) was, "We want a better product on the ice. That's the best way you can pay us back,' " Shanahan said. "I can assure you, along with the game and the way it's going to be played, we're going to reward players with lots of skill."

Campbell emphasized that there would be yet another crackdown on obstruction, which many believe has ruined hockey. Referees for years have been trying to limit teams from constant clutching and grabbing. Campbell promised a clear definition of obstruction and stringent enforcement this season.

"It's the biggest piece of the puzzle if they want to make the game more exciting," Sabres center Daniel Briere said. "We've heard it before. We've tried it before, and it didn't last. We're going to need a full commitment from everybody - every referee, every player, every coach, managers, everybody."

Linesmen will be given more discretion when making icing calls in an effort to keep the game moving. There was discussion about implementing no-touch icing, but the league didn't want to dissuade players from making the two-line passes that are now allowed. If anything, the NHL is encouraging home-run passes.

"The feeling is (new rules) will alleviate some of the pressure that's been brought on the game," Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier said. "The defensive aspects won't be removed, but the intent is it will create more room, more opportunity for the skill players to exhibit their skill. Hopefully, that will result in more goals."

Campbell said referees, many of whom swallow their whistles in the closing minutes of tight games, will be instructed to call the game the same way in the third period as they did in the first. Also, goalies who freeze the puck unnecessarily and players who shoot the puck over the glass from the defending zone will be penalized for delay of game.

Implementing shootouts and removing the red line for the purpose of two-line passes are considered the two biggest changes. Teams will receive two points for a win and one point for a shootout loss or overtime loss.

"The rules changes will make the game more fun," Sabres owner Tom Golisano said. "I'm for more fun."

Bettman also announced Friday that more games will be played within the division and conference in hopes of building intense rivalries. The NHL is desperately trying to repair its relationship with fans after labor strife wiped out an entire season. The league was investigating various ways to bring fans closer to the game. Fans wanted more excitement for their money.

Everybody wanted more goals. Well, everybody but the goalies, of course.

The Edmonton Oilers averaged 5.6 goals per game during the 1983-84 season and scored more than 400 goals in five consecutive seasons. The NHL's highest-scoring team in 2003-04 was Ottawa, which scored 262 goals. By comparison, the Red Wings were the lowest-scoring team in 1985-86 with 266 goals.

In 1992-93, Gary Bettman's first season as NHL commissioner, teams combined for 7.24 goals per game. In 2003-04, teams averaged just more than 5.14 goals per game, the fewest in nearly 50 years. Meanwhile, the average salary skyrocketed from $467,000 to $1.8 million, and ticket prices soared 81 percent over the same period.

Fans were paying - and yawning - more than ever.

The changes mostly affect the two major contributors to the decrease in scoring. The biggest was teams became more adept at playing defense. The neutral-zone trap evolved into an efficient style for many teams, but it also suffocated hockey. There was a greater emphasis on good coaching rather than good players.

"The only way you could level the playing field was to make your team better defensively," Regier said. "The (financial) gaps between teams have been minimized, and the ice has been opened up. Those two things will have a very positive effect."

Another contributing factor was goaltenders. They grew taller, wider and more athletic over the past decade or more. Dominik Hasek, for example, wore big shoulder pads and had a great glove hand, but he also had enough size and agility to simultaneously cover both posts. He alone kept scoring at a minimum.

And it wasn't just Hasek.

Roberto Luongo was a big guy who wore big pads. Garth Snow extended his career with oversized equipment. The average NHL goalie was 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds in 1983-84. Twenty years later, he was 6-foot and 190 pounds. Obviously, the league can't limit the size of the goalie, but it can limit the size of his equipment.

Link (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050723/1070734.asp)

e-mail: bgleason@buffnews.com

Vinnie Velvet
07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
I've always loved the Canadians passion for hockey, but sometimes they think the hockey world revolves around them...

If that was the case, there'd be more than 6 Canadian teams in the NHL....

Actually, its Torontions (Leaf fans) who think the hockey world revolves around them, not other Canadians.

Bob Mackenzie works for TSN (Supposedly 'Canada's Sports Network', which is more like the Toronto Sports Network).

Va Beach VH Fan
07-25-2005, 07:17 PM
That's a good point Vincenzo....

Hockey-crazy city though, no doubt...

Funny during trading deadline time, reading the Canadian websites...

Seems like the Leafs may be trading for EVERY player available... :D

guwapo_rocker
07-25-2005, 07:36 PM

Seems like the Leafs may be trading for EVERY player available... :D

And then they do nothing!!:rolleyes:

Dave's PA Rental
07-25-2005, 11:05 PM
"Teams will receive two points for a win and one point for a shootout loss or overtime loss"

You STILL get a point for LOSING??????

What a fucking JOKE.

Yeah, I will watch when it comes back, but if the goddam refs dont call interference and obstruction consistantly...it will still be an unwatchable game, IMO...

Full Bug
07-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental

You STILL get a point for LOSING??????
What a fucking JOKE.

Yeah, thats bullshit, I cant figure out why this issue hasnt been brought up more often....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Looks like Anaheim is taking offers for pick #2...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=131498&hubName=nhl

Ducks shopping the 2nd overall pick

TSN.ca Staff

7/26/2005 4:34:31 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins have no intention of trading the first overall pick in Saturday's NHL entry draft, but the finalist in the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes is shopping the second overall pick, and shopping it hard.

Anaheim general manager Brian Burke said he has no qualms about trading the No. 2 pick...for the right price, of course.

"I've already gotten eight to 10 calls but I haven't heard anything so far that would cause us to move it, not even close," the Mighty Ducks' GM told TSN. "We will shop this pick. We have a lot of kids ready to step in for us -- Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Joffrey Lupul and Ladislav Smid -- and if we can trade the (No. 2) pick outright for an established player who is a good fit for us, we will do it. And if we get offers to move down a few spots and we can get another (draft) pick, we can do that too. It's really wide open. We want to see what's out there."

If the Ducks decide not to trade the pick for an established player, they are believed to be looking to make a choice from a group of five prospects that includes: Sudbury forward Benoit Pouliot, Owen Sound forward Bobby Ryan, Vancouver Giant forward Gilbert Brule and a pair of defencemen -- Jack Johnson of the U.S. U-18 program and Sudbury's Marc Staal.

If the Ducks feel there's a good chance they could get one of those players at a draft position lower than No. 2, it's possible they'll trade down if they find a partner willing to pay some sort of premium to be guaranteed to get the next-best prospect after No. 1 pick Sidney Crosby.

"Hey, I would be happy to trade up or down in this draft," Burke said with a laugh, knowing there's no chance the Penguins are prepared to move the No. 1 pick and the right to draft Crosby.

With the Crosby coronation a foregone conclusion at the draft in Ottawa on Saturday, what the Ducks do with the No. 2 overall pick may well provide the most excitement of the day.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2005, 07:46 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=NJEBKMDOAFIE?content=200507 26_185300_568

Nolan goes under the knife

As Sportsnet first reported last week Tuesday's surgery was required to correct complications that have plagued Owen Nolan's since he injured his knee in March of 2004.

Sportsnet.ca -- -- Sportsnet has learned Toronto Maple Leafs, forward Owen Nolan had surgery Tuesday in Cleveland to further repair his injured knee.

The surgery was deemed successful but Nolan may be out of the NHL for as long as six months.

As Sportsnet first reported last week this surgery was required to correct complications that have plagued Nolan's rehab since he injured the knee in March of 2004.

"Dr. Tony Miniaci, the Chief of Sports Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, performed the surgery on the injury which directly related to the trauma sustained in March of 04 while playing with the Leafs," said Nolan's agent JP Barry.

"Owen looks forward to getting back to rehab now that the problem interfering with his progress has been addressed," Barry added.

"This rehabilitation could take as long as six months, but Owen looks forward to a return to the NHL when he's ready."

As for an update on Nolan's buyout status, Barry says the issues have yet to be resolved.

The NHL's buyout period expires on Friday.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2005, 07:52 PM
And then they do nothing!!:rolleyes:

See, here's EXACTLY what I'm talking about... It's starting already !!!!

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

FORSBERG TO TORONTO?

THE FAN 590: reports the Toronto Maple Leafs might pursue Peter Forsberg should he become an unrestricted free agent in August. Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley was recently seen in Toronto speaking with Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr, but he told "Leafs Lunch" that it was merely coincidental since Baizley is also the agent for Leafs prospect Alex Steen.

Spector's Note; My thanks to "QuackerJackets" and regular contributor Dave Caldwell, who also noted that since tampering rules are in effect from now until the UFA market opens on August 1 Ferguson wouldn't state any interest in Forsberg at this time.

AFTONBLADET: reports the Detroit News as claiming Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Forsberg is high on the wish list of the Toronto Maple Leafs, which would unite him with Mats Sundin, an apparent dream of many Swedish hockey fans.

Spector's Note: My thanks to Magnus Persson. The Detroit News column doesn't claim the Leafs are interested in Forsberg, but merely lists him as one of several big name players named in unsubstantiated rumours as possibly heading to Toronto. For now the Leafs still have to figure out how much cap space they can free up and which free agents they'll re-sign before they go trolling in the UFA market.

Golden AWe
07-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Looks like Jagr is going to stay in the russian league...he will be the first of many to stay/change their league, in hopes of keeping the enormous incomes...

guwapo_rocker
07-27-2005, 07:59 AM

FORSBERG TO TORONTO?

THE FAN 590: reports the Toronto Maple Leafs might pursue Peter Forsberg should he become an unrestricted free agent in August. Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley was recently seen in Toronto speaking with Leafs GM John Ferguson Jr, but he told "Leafs Lunch" that it was merely coincidental since Baizley is also the agent for Leafs prospect Alex Steen.

Spector's Note; My thanks to "QuackerJackets" and regular contributor Dave Caldwell, who also noted that since tampering rules are in effect from now until the UFA market opens on August 1 Ferguson wouldn't state any interest in Forsberg at this time.

AFTONBLADET: reports the Detroit News as claiming Colorado Avalanche forward Peter Forsberg is high on the wish list of the Toronto Maple Leafs, which would unite him with Mats Sundin, an apparent dream of many Swedish hockey fans.

Spector's Note: My thanks to Magnus Persson. The Detroit News column doesn't claim the Leafs are interested in Forsberg, but merely lists him as one of several big name players named in unsubstantiated rumours as possibly heading to Toronto. For now the Leafs still have to figure out how much cap space they can free up and which free agents they'll re-sign before they go trolling in the UFA market.

They have to sign Aki Berg first:D

Vinnie Velvet
07-27-2005, 09:14 AM

FORSBERG TO TORONTO?

Oh gimmie a break.

The Toronto sports media will do anything to make their Leafs look interesting.

Remember when there were rumours that Gretzky would be going to Toronto before he ended up signing with the Rangers in '96? Or how about the whole Eric Lindros thing?

:rolleyes:

Full Bug
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Toronto is the center of the hockey universe....Deal with it....;) :D

Matt White
07-27-2005, 11:09 AM
*AHEM*

DETROIT

HOCKEY TOWN USA

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2005, 08:40 PM
They have to sign Aki Berg first:D

You're gonna lose Domi to the Pens, by the way....

Looking pretty solid right now....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Looks like Jagr is going to stay in the russian league...he will be the first of many to stay/change their league, in hopes of keeping the enormous incomes...

This has been completely denied...

Although it wouldn't surprise me, knowing how wacky he thinks sometimes....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Here's the link for the schedule...

http://www.nhl.com/schedules/index.html

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Poj, get the beer in the fridge....

For those who give a shit, the Pens highlights....

Oct 5 2005, Wed AWAY Devils 7:30 PM ET - (Mario's 40th birthday, Crosby's debut... What the fuck is the NHL doing sending them to Jersey ??)

Oct 7 2005, Fri AWAY Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET - (Poj, just as a friendly reminder, my brand's Bud Ice... I'll grab the tix when they go on sale)

Oct 8 2005, Sat HOME Bruins 7:30 PM ET - (Home opener)

Dec 27 2005, Tue HOME Maple Leafs 7:30 PM ET - (5th anniversary of Mario's comeback, just so happens to be home against the Leafs again)

Feb 10 2006, Fri AWAY Hurricanes 7:00 PM ET
Feb 11 2006, Sat AWAY Capitals 7:00 PM ET - (Possible VA doubleheader road trip)

UGS
07-27-2005, 09:05 PM
They probably made the schedule before the lottery, so they didn't know about Crosby going to Pit.

About the Gretzky thing, Wayne wanted to go to Toronto because that's who he cheered for as a kid. The Leaf's fans would have gone nuts, but Leaf owners didn't want to pay the hefty Gretzky price tag when they were already selling out the Gardens with the current lineup. Looks like winning the Cup was second priority. Fuck the Leafs.

. . .then again, if Gretzky REALLY wanted to play there, he'd lower his asking price. . .whatever

GO SENS!

Matt White
07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
I can't wait!!!:rockit2:

Nickdfresh
07-27-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by UGS
They probably made the schedule before the lottery, so they didn't know about Crosby going to Pit.

About the Gretzky thing, Wayne wanted to go to Toronto because that's who he cheered for as a kid. The Leaf's fans would have gone nuts, but Leaf owners didn't want to pay the hefty Gretzky price tag when they were already selling out the Gardens with the current lineup. Looks like winning the Cup was second priority. Fuck the Leafs.

. . .then again, if Gretzky REALLY wanted to play there, he'd lower his asking price. . .whatever

GO SENS!

Buffalo drafted GRETZKY's brother...Apparently it wasn't all genetics unfortunately.:)

guwapo_rocker
07-27-2005, 10:47 PM
You're gonna lose Domi to the Pens, by the way....

Looking pretty solid right now....

Take him please!!!!

We'll throw in Aki, hell take Nolan too.

Full Bug
07-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Hell ya, I have been wanting Toronto to get rid of that tool Domi for years....Although I dont know how we will replace the 4 or 5 goals he gets a season....

UGS
07-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Hell ya, I have been wanting Toronto to get rid of that tool Domi for years....Although I dont know how we will replace the 4 or 5 goals he gets a season....

He's rumored to be talking to the Penguins. It makes sense, he's good friends w/ Mario, and they need some muscle behind Crosby.

guwapo_rocker
07-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by UGS
He's rumored to be talking to the Penguins. It makes sense, he's good friends w/ Mario, and they need some muscle behind Crosby.

He won't do Crosby any good sitting in the box for dumb

penalties.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Dunno, I've always thought he was a better offensive player than he's been given credit for...

Maybe doesn't get the goals, but moves the puck around pretty well....

But you guys are right, they need more muscle...

Full Bug
07-29-2005, 03:46 PM
Leafs slash ticket pricesBut going to a game still won't be cheap

TORONTO (CP) — In the wake of the NHL lockout, the Toronto Maple Leafs have cut ticket prices by five per cent.

Seats will range from $35 (down from $37 in 2003-04) in the upper purple section to $173 (down from $182) in the lower gold and platinum sections. The team says the season ticket prices, the lowest since 2002, will run through the 2006-07 season.

“Under the new collective bargaining agreement we have lower player costs, however we’ll be incurring significant expenses that are new to us, totalling tens of millions of dollars,” Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, said in a statement Friday.

“That said, we feel we can put in place a five per cent across-the-board ticket price decrease while remaining revenue-neutral in the short term.

The Leafs, always a tough ticket in Toronto, did not explain the “significant expenses” in their release. The team says more than 43 per cent of the seats at Air Canada Centre will now be priced at $68 or less, and 14 per cent will be capped at $35 for regular season games.

Full Bug
07-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Big fucking deal, the last game I went to cost me 70.00 bucks, now its 68? What a joke....

Nickdfresh
07-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Big fucking deal, the last game I went to cost me 70.00 bucks, now its 68? What a joke....

Cheaper tickets you still can't get.

Full Bug
07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Maybe I could use the extra 2 bucks to buy half a hot dog....:rolleyes:

Full Bug
07-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Maybe I could use the extra 2 bucks to buy half a hot dog....:rolleyes:
This is what the Leafs consider a gesture to their fans....:mad:
Shit, I meant to edit my post, not qoute....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Seats will range from $35 (down from $37 in 2003-04) in the upper purple section to $173 (down from $182) in the lower gold and platinum sections.

I'm assuming that's Canadian dollars...

One of you Canucks translate to real money.... ;)

Full Bug
07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Well, its about 80-85 cents to the dollar these days so you figure it out....

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 11:30 AM
TSN.ca will cybercast four hours of the draft starting at Noon ET/9 am PT.

Full Bug
07-30-2005, 12:01 PM
God, I dont think I could sit through that whole thing, wake me when its over....Will keep an eye on it though....

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 12:05 PM
God, I dont think I could sit through that whole thing, wake me when its over....Will keep an eye on it though....

I'm curiuos about that second pick, and of course who the Leafs get.

No way I'm sitting through the whole thing, that would be like trying to watch Aki Berg stick handle:rolleyes:

Full Bug
07-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah, no shit, lol...
Its only 2 hours long, surprised, figured they would drag it out to more like 4 hours....

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Here we go....

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 12:23 PM
1. Penguins - Crosby

2. Ducks - Bobby Ryan

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 12:30 PM
3. Carolina - Jack Johnson

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 12:33 PM
4. Wild - Benoit Pouliot

Nickdfresh
07-30-2005, 12:48 PM
A draft for guys, 99% of whom, you'll see in five years if at all.:D

NightProwler
07-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Fuck those NHL guys going on strike!

I haven't been to a MLB basebal game since it died with the strike of 1994.

NHL?

R.I.P.

Nickdfresh
07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by NightProwler

NHL?

R.I.P.

They were locked out...:rolleyes:

NightProwler
07-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Still...there was no season, so FUCK those guys!

Matt White
07-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Still...there was no season, so FUCK those guys!

Right! No reason......other than mismanagement of the League by Bettman!!!:mad:

Full Bug
07-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Right! No reason......other than mismanagement of the League by Bettman!!!:mad:
It aint that simple, saleries going up by 550% didnt help matters....
You can thank Bob for that one, I loved it when the owners won.....

Va Beach VH Fan
07-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I still can't believe it....

The Crosby era has begun....

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
He's just a baby, he's gonna get killed!!

Full Bug
07-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Lets get this straight, I have no idea....
Is Crosby playing this year?
Otherwise, who cares really, 3 years from now I will be dead.....

Dave's PA Rental
07-30-2005, 04:31 PM

NHL?

R.I.P.

Dude, we get it. Everything post 94 sucks in your book.

Thanks for contributing.

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 04:32 PM
He is supposed to step right in. He doesn't even turn 18 'til next

month. Where did he play junior? The Quebec Major Junior Pussy

league? The last time anyone got hit in that league was when a

rink attendant was run over by the Zamboni in 1976.

POJO_Risin
07-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Carolina traded one of their better players...Jeff O'Neill to Toronto for a conditional '06 draft choice...

he's just never reached his potential...and the common belief here is that O'Neill requested the trade because his older brother was killed 2 weeks ago...and he wanted to be closer to his family...

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 04:34 PM
That's a good deal for Toronto.

Shame about his brother.

POJO_Risin
07-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Christ...Mario looks like his dad...or granddad...

lmfao...the Crosby era...no pressure there...

POJO_Risin
07-30-2005, 04:36 PM
It's a great deal for Toronto...O'Neill was counted on here in NC to carry this team as it's star...

in Toronto...he should be the role player he should be...

guwapo_rocker
07-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
It's a great deal for Toronto...O'Neill was counted on here in NC to carry this team as it's star...

in Toronto...he should be the role player he should be...

Wow he's only 29! It's about time the Leafs pulled off one of

these deals where they don't give up much. We are usually

watching other teams do this.

We have some old guys to cut loose somehow.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Christ...Mario looks like his dad...or granddad...

lmfao...the Crosby era...no pressure there...

Well, he is 22 years older than him....

Pretty much towers over him too....

Most people forget that about Lemieux, for as amazingly talented as he is, he's done it at 6'5"....

Unlike Gretzky, at 6 feet even....

POJO_Risin
07-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah...Lemieux certainly had a size advantage...that's for sure...

God that picture makes me laugh whenever I see it...

Mario off to check is portfolio...

crosby to a mirror to pick a zit...

lmfao...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Sure hope they can sign Malkin....

Fortunate thing is, both Crosby and Malkin have the same agent....

They reported that Malkin's Russian coach is saying he thinks he'll stay in Russia...

Duh, of course he's gonna say that...

Show me the rubles !!!!!

Nickdfresh
07-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Since when did these RUSSIAN teams start paying big money?:confused:\

I hear the SABRES' MAX AFINOGENOV might stay in his home country as well. Less hitting, longer career. Who wouldn't go for that?

Matt White
07-30-2005, 08:02 PM
It aint that simple, saleries going up by 550% didnt help matters....
You can thank Bob for that one, I loved it when the owners won.....

By why did the salaries go up FB? Because the free market allowed it. The owners, after listening to Bettman, thought the League was going to blow up like the NBA & NFL. Remember the skating Robots on FOX?!? THe TV ratings never materialized, leaving the small market teams, once again, holding the bag.
The BIG owners finally got put in thier place by the small market teams: SHARE OR NO NHL.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Heard some interesting (but very good) news last night on Pittsburgh Sports Tonight....

They may actually have to cut off season ticket sales at the Igloo, so that there will be ample opportunity to buy smaller packages, or individual game sales....

Just amazing what one lucky bounce of the ping pong ball will do for ya...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-01-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey Bugger, plenty of room for you on the Penguins bandwagon !!!!

Seems like you Leafs fans are losing abOOt all of your players....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132137&hubName=nhl

Panthers sign Nieuwendyk and Roberts

Canadian Press

8/1/2005 6:08:29 PM

The Florida Panthers signalled the NHL's new era Monday by outbiding the Toronto Maple Leafs as the free-agent market opened with more tire kicking than actual signings.

The Panthers kicked off the free-agent period by signing veteran forwards Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts, long-time buddies who will play together on an NHL team for the third time.

It didn't take long for the Leafs to get their first taste of the new economic order, unable to match the two-year, $4.5-million US deals each player got from Panthers GM Mike Keenan.

"There were parameters with which we were working that didn't meet their needs," Leafs GM John Ferguson said Monday night from his Air Canada Centre office. "They made a decision in their best interest."

Meanwhile, the tantalizing free-agent duo of Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg began shopping their services. Whether or not they can package themselves together remains to be seen.

"Markus's approach has always been `Who wouldn't want to play with Peter Forsberg?"' Naslund's agent Mike Gillis said. "But there has to be some things that need to come together for that to happen. We'll have to wait and see."

The New York Rangers are believed to be interested in the pairing although they certainly weren't the only team inquiring about Naslund on Monday.

"There's been tremendous amount of interest in him," said Gillis, who added that Vancouver was still in the mix to resign its captain. "We're going to be patient. When it begins to really catch fire it'll go quickly."

The agent for unrestricted free agent Scott Niedermayer was also a busy man Monday, the No. 1 defenceman on the market getting his fair share of calls.

"We've talked to at least 14 teams today," Kevin Epp said from his North Vancouver office. "Some of them are just wanting to see what the market might be.

"Some of them were just tire kicking, no real offers made today. I don't think there's any front-runners at this point. Out of the 14 teams, there's probably 10 legitimate possibilities though."

Other moves Monday:

- The Edmonton Oilers traded winger Brad Isbister to the Boston Bruins in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick in the 2006 NHL entry draft. In 51 games with the Oilers during the 2003-04 season, Isbister had 10 goals, eight assists and 54 penalty minutes.

- The Minnesota Wild signed unrestricted free-agent tough guy Andrei Nazarov. The 31-year-old had 125 penalty minutes in 33 games with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2003-04.

- The Los Angeles Kings signed unrestricted free-agent winger Tom Kostopoulos, 26, to a two-year deal.

The Leafs, meanwhile, were clearly outbid by the Panthers, something that wasn't possible under the old collective bargaining agreement when Toronto was among the biggest free-agent spenders. But the Leafs have about $9 million left of cap room and need to sign about seven players. They simply could not afford what the Panthers gave the veteran duo.

"Our discussions with Toronto were positive and right up until the end it was just as likely that they would be able to stay there," said Rick Curran, the agent for both players. "After the noon starting time (for free agency), I had almost immediately two proposals sitting on my desk from other teams.

"I had a further conversation with Toronto. It reached the point where the boys had to make a decision on what they wanted to do going forward."

And that was Florida, which anted up with $2.25-million salaries.

"It really wasn't a financial decision," Nieuwendyk said on a conference call, although he admitted, "clearly the terms of the deal I'm awfully excited about."

Roberts was slated to earn $3.75 million during the wiped-out 2004-05 season while Nieuwendyk was at $3 million. The long-time friends and teammates in both Toronto and Calgary were unrestricted free agents.

Roberts, 39, played four years with the Leafs and had 28 goals and 20 assists in 72 games in 2003-04.

The 38-year-old Nieuwendyk played just the one year in Toronto, scoring 22 goals and adding 28 assists in 64 games and making a huge impact in the playoffs in which he had six goals in nine games.

Keenan made the first plunge into free agency on a day where agents and GMs burned up the phone lines. Everyone is trying to figure out what exactly is the new market.

"You try to get a feel for what the market might bear," said Keenan. "It's certainly a complete unknown at this time. But you do have relationships with agents. I've known Rick Curran for a long time.

"There's has to be a level of trust when he says there are other offers at a `X' amount of dollars. I have to believe him."

Still, there seemed to be hesitation from both sides Monday.

"A lot of teams are expressing their interest and asking that we call them when it begins to happen," said Gillis, who also represents unrestricted free agents Bobby Holik, Mathieu Schneider and Pavol Demitra, among others. "Which is par for the course, everyone is dealing with a new world out there and no one is eager to make a mistake."

Roberts and Nieuwendyk were the first in a long list of unrestricted free agents to sign.

Among those available are Forsberg, Naslund, Mike Modano, Alexei Kovalev, Demitra, Ziggy Palffy, Holik, Alexei Zhamnov, Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne. The defencemen are led by Niedermayer, Adam Foote, Sergei Gonchar, Brian Leetch, Derian Hatcher, Brian Rafalski, Mathieu Schneider, Mike Rathje, Roman Hamrlik and Adrian Aucoin.

Added to that is an already flooded market because of a large number of players who weren't tendered qualifying offers, therefore making them unrestricted free agents.

That list includes Miroslav Satan, who was cut loose by the Buffalo Sabres, as well as Martin Skoula (Anaheim), Ville Nieminen (Calgary), Bryan Berard (Chicago), Richard Park (Minnesota), Jason Ward (Montreal), Vladimir Orszagh (Nashville), Dan Blackburn (N.Y. Rangers), Martin Prusek (Ottawa), Brian Boucher (Phoenix) and Brad Lukowich (Tampa Bay).

Va Beach VH Fan
08-01-2005, 08:08 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132133

Oilers trade Isbister to Bruins

Canadian Press

8/1/2005 1:42:58 PM

EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers traded forward Brad Isbister to the Boston Bruins Monday in exchange for the Bruins' fourth-round draft pick in the 2006 NHL entry draft.

In 51 games with the Oilers during the 2003-04 season, Isbister had 10 goals, eight assists and 54 penalty minutes.

''Brad is a solid winger who brings good size to our forward lines,'' Bruins general manager Mike O'Connell said in a statement. ''We're happy to have him on our team.''

Isbister, 28, was originally drafted by the Winnipeg Jets with the 67th overall pick in the 1995 NHL entry draft. The 6-foot-4, 231-pound Edmonton native split his first three pro seasons between Phoenix and its AHL affiliate in Springfield. He spent three-plus seasons with the New York Islanders before being dealt to the Oilers in March, 2003.

Isbister has recorded 93 goals and 90 assists for 183 points with 517 penalty minutes in 409 career NHL regular-season games. He has one goal and two assists for three points with 31 penalty minutes in 14 career playoff games.

Full Bug
08-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey Bugger, plenty of room for you on the Penguins bandwagon !!!!

LOL....:D
Not surprised they didnt get Roberts, but was surprised and dissappointed about Nieuwendyk...

Nickdfresh
08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
The LEAFS will being picking up MIRO SATAN I bet. The SABRES just cut 'em loose.

guwapo_rocker
08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
TSN.ca Staff

8/2/2005 9:40:49 AM

The Philadelphia Flyers are set to make a big splash in the free agent market on Tuesday.

Amid reports the team had come to terms with defencemen Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje, the Flyers say a "multiplayer announcement" would be made on Tuesday.

After losing out in the Adam Foote sweepstakes, it appears general manager Bob Clarke has turned his sights to Hatcher, who was bought out last week by the Detroit Red Wings.

"Well, we've got a lot of lines in the water and we'll just have to see how it goes," Clarke tells the Philadelphia Daily News while refusing to specify which players the team is after.

Aside from Hatcher and Rathje, the Flyers are said to have also targeted Adrian Aucoin and Brian Rafalski.

Agent Larry Kelly who represents Aucoin says they are no longer in the mix because their asking price was too high. TSN has learned that Aucoin has signed a four year deal worth $16-million with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Kevin Epp, the agent for free agent defenseman Scott Niedermayer, says he's disappointed the Flyers have not called. It's believed Niedermayer's reported $7-million asking price was just too high for Clarke.

Clarke has reportedly budgeted $6.5-million to try and shore up the Flyers glaring need for a big defenseman.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132177)

guwapo_rocker
08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
TSN.ca Staff

8/2/2005 1:48:23 PM

Steve Yzerman looks set to finish his career where it all began, signing a one year contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

Terms were not immediately announced.

"I'm very pleased to have Steve resign for another season with the Red Wings," said general manager Ken Holland.

"I'm confident that he has a lot of great hockey left to play and his return, along with return of Red Wings hockey to Joe Louis Arena this fall is great news for our fans and our organization."

The 40-year-old, who was scheduled to earn $4.5 million US during the wiped-out 2004-05 season, was said to be contemplating retirement after suffering broken bones near his eye during the 2004 playoffs.

Yzerman, who has helped lead Detroit to three Stanley Cup championships, has a franchise-record 70 playoff goals and 181 points in his 21-season career with the Red Wings. In regular-season games, Yzerman has 1,721 points, trailing only Marcel Dionne, Ron Francis, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky in league history.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132204)

Va Beach VH Fan
08-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Still lots of Free Agents around, but getting a little antzy....

Where are these signings that the Pens promised ??

The main players they're been targeting haven't been signed, I guess that's a good thing....

Even read one report that says they're going after Forsberg and Naslund (former Pen)....

Plus Neidermayer or Rafalski on Defense... P-Burgh TV is reporting they offered Rafalski 4 Mil a year for 4 years....

Looking at Khavibulin at the Goal...

We'll just see....

Matt White
08-02-2005, 09:02 PM
TSN.ca Staff

8/2/2005 1:48:23 PM

Steve Yzerman looks set to finish his career where it all began, signing a one year contract with the Detroit Red Wings.

Terms were not immediately announced.

"I'm very pleased to have Steve resign for another season with the Red Wings," said general manager Ken Holland.

"I'm confident that he has a lot of great hockey left to play and his return, along with return of Red Wings hockey to Joe Louis Arena this fall is great news for our fans and our organization."

The 40-year-old, who was scheduled to earn $4.5 million US during the wiped-out 2004-05 season, was said to be contemplating retirement after suffering broken bones near his eye during the 2004 playoffs.

Yzerman, who has helped lead Detroit to three Stanley Cup championships, has a franchise-record 70 playoff goals and 181 points in his 21-season career with the Red Wings. In regular-season games, Yzerman has 1,721 points, trailing only Marcel Dionne, Ron Francis, Gordie Howe, Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky in league history.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132204)

THE CAP 'N' gets his "Farewell" tour!!!

EXCELLENT!!!

guwapo_rocker
08-03-2005, 12:29 PM
8/3/2005 11:23:22 AM

Jarome Iginla is staying in Calgary - for the next three years.

The Flames have scheduled a news conference for 4:30 ET at which they are expected to announce the signing of Iginla to a three-year deal worth $21-million. Iginla was a restricted free agent.

Calgary has been active in the early days of the free agent signing period. After losing playoff hero Martin Gelinas, the Flames countered by signing Tony Amonte to a $3.7-million, two-year deal and Darren McCarty to a $1.6-million, two-year deal.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132305)

And the Leafs do nothing!!!

Full Bug
08-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Thats good news, since Toronto isnt going to do anything but make the team worse this year I will be cheering on the Flames....

guwapo_rocker
08-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Yep!!

We're back to the Ballard days it looks like.

guwapo_rocker
08-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Associated Press

8/3/2005 1:34:24 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Sergei Gonchar, the NHL's highest-scoring defenceman over the last six seasons, agreed Wednesday to a $25-million US, five-year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins - the team's first big-ticket signing in eight years.

With No. 1 draft pick Sidney Crosby on the way, an NHL salary cap in place and the twice-bankrupt franchise now on better financial footing, general manager Craig Patrick promised 10 days ago the Penguins would be active in free agency for the first time in years.

Gonchar, 31, would seem to be a perfect fit for a team that plans to rebuild what once was the NHL's highest-scoring offence now that the league plans to enforce obstruction rules and encourage offence.

Known for his passing skills and hard slap shot, Gonchar had 148 goals and 277 assists in 669 career games. Despite having a disappointing 2003-04 season - he had a career-low 11 goals in 71 games - he led NHL defencemen with 47 assists. He was the first Russian-born defensemen to score 20 goals in a season, netting 21 with Washington in 1998-99.

New Jersey's Scott Niedermayer was considered to be the top defencemen on the market, and he is expected to command a salary between $6 million and $7 million. Gonchar was thought to be on the next level, on par with or slightly above Adam Foote - who signed a three-year, $13.8 million deal with Columbus - and Adrian Aucoin, who agreed to a four-year pact with Chicago worth $16 million.

Click here to find out more!

"Sergei had interest from numerous clubs over the past two days. The market for defencemen accelerated very quickly Monday night and all day Tuesday," J.P. Barry, Gonchar's agent, said Wednesday. "We had several teams interested, but from a hockey perspective Pittsburgh was clearly the best fit for Sergei. When we were able to finalize the compensation, it was an easy decision."

Gonchar, long a Penguins antagonist while with the Washington Capitals, has 113 goals and 213 assists since the 1998-99 season. After nine seasons in Washington, Gonchar was dealt to the Bruins late in the 2003-04 season and was offered a four-year by Boston last month. He had won a $5.5 million arbitration award for the 2004-05 season, which wasn't played due to the NHL labour dispute. He made $3.65 million in 2003-04.

With Crosby's arrival pumping up ticket sales - the Penguins have sold thousands of season tickets since winning the draft lottery July 22 - and restoring interest in a team that has missed the playoffs for three consecutive seasons, the team felt it could afford to re-enter the free agent marketplace.

Since signing former NHL scoring champion Jaromir Jagr to a $38 million contract extension in 1998, the team went into bankruptcy, then spent most of three seasons shedding players it could no longer afford, including Jagr, Alex Kovalev, Martin Straka, Robert Lang and Darius Kasparaitis.

Owner-player Mario Lemieux, who bought the team after the bankruptcy filing, also is selling the franchise, to San Jose-based businessman William (Boots) Del Biaggio - a move that should also improve the struggling team's finances.

The Penguins reached the Eastern Conference finals in 2000-01 after Hall of Famer Lemieux unexpectedly ended a 44-month retirement but has failed to reach the playoffs since. The Penguins lost 18 consecutive games and had the league's worst record during the 2003-04 season.

Coincidentally, Gonchar left the Capitals late in the 2003-04 season during a Penguins-like burst of salary shedding that included the departures of Jagr and Lang, who had come to the Capitals after Pittsburgh began downsizing its payroll, and team career scoring leader Peter Bondra.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132304)

And the Leafs do..........nothing!!!!!

Full Bug
08-03-2005, 06:18 PM

And the Leafs do..........nothing!!!!!
GM ruining Leafs
So far, Ferguson out to lunch in new NHL
By STEVE SIMMONS

JOHN FERGUSON hasn't looked so cool with how he has handled some of the Maple Leafs' affairs. (Michael Peake, SUN files)
TWO DAYS into the brave new hockey world and already John Ferguson's reputation is taking a pounding.

What, players and agents are wondering, is the general manager of the Maple Leafs doing?

The answers, however varied, are not encouraging.

Ferguson's clumsy handling of negotiations with Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk -- where he attempted to have close friend Roberts undercut close friend Nieuwendyk -- sent a cryptic message to those within the industry. And then, to follow that up with a desperation offer to Nieuwendyk, after first trying an end run on him, only demonstrated his own inexperience in deal making.

Players talk. Word gets around fast. The Leafs have suddenly become an exit ramp instead of a destination. Those who play for the team and those who want to play for the team now wonder amongst themselves about the lack of buyouts, about free-agent qualifying offers, about a team that appears to be heading nowhere.

There were 57 messages on Roberts' cellular phone on Monday, almost of all them from players around the NHL. Not coincidentally, Adam Foote, hoping to play for the Leafs, signed a long-term contract in Columbus, where no one grows up dreaming of playing for the Blue Jackets.

Just last week, board chairman Larry Tanenbaum described the Leafs as the "No. 1 franchise in the National Hockey League." Today, we might demand a recount, as the No. 1 franchise is finding itself forced to dine out on other people's table scraps.

The way Ferguson has positioned this team in the post-lockout NHL has one wondering exactly why Pat Quinn was replaced as general manager in the first place.

Ferguson insisted the Leafs would be competitive this coming season. He has not wavered from that stance. But how is that going to be possible?

Ferguson has said he had a plan heading into the re-establishment of the NHL, but no plan is evident. And the notion that he is clearing cap room to take a run at younger free agents a year from now makes nice logic if: a) you believe it; b) you think players such as Vinny Lecavalier, Joe Thornton and Jarome Iginla won't be signed long term by then; c) he has the foresight and long-term confidence to write-off an entire season and deal with the fall-out from that.

The largest problem for the Leafs is how little money they have and how the player market -- post lockout -- hasn't corrected itself as much as many expected it to. Conventional wisdom was there would be a significant drop in player contract values in the new economic world.

So far, that hasn't been the case.

Quality defenceman such as Foote, Adrian Aucoin, Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje have all signed in the $3-million to $4-million range per season. That's more money than even some optimistic of agents were banking on.

Yesterday, quality forwards but not star players such as Glen Murray, Bobby Holik and Pavol Demitra all signed contracts for more than $4 million a season. Which is out of the Leafs' price range because of the way they've bungled their cap situation.

With only a maximum of $9 million left to spend -- and remember, the Leafs and every team have to leave some room available in order to make moves during the season -- Ferguson has the ability to sign one reasonably priced player and not much more than that.

So he will gamble on Jason Allison, who hasn't played a full season in four years and he will hope. And he likely will gamble on Eric Lindros, who he can afford because Lindros missed 100 days of hockey last time there was a season and qualifies for performance bonuses and he will hope.

The No. 1 team in hockey, built on gambling, hoping and inexperience.

A year ago, the Leafs had Nieuwendyk and Roberts and Alexander Mogilny and Owen Nolan and Brian Leetch and Tie Domi -- all of them real pros -- on a team that wasn't considered good enough.

How is John Ferguson going to fix that now?

guwapo_rocker
08-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Yep, read that over a beer after work.

The thing with Simmons though, is that he is buddies with Roberts.

But there are valid points in that article.

Full Bug
08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
I prefer Al Stachan the writer from the Sun myself...

guwapo_rocker
08-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Flyers land Forsberg

TSN.ca Staff

8/3/2005 6:47:51 PM

Peter Forsberg is going back where he started. TSN has learned that the Philadelphia Flyers have signed Forsberg to a two-year deal worth $10.7 million.

Forsberg will get $5.7 million in the first year of the deal and $5.0 in the second year.

The aquisition of Forsberg puts the Flyers over the NHL's salary cap, but GM Bob Clarke expects to make a trade within the next two days to get back under the league's financial limit.

The player most likely to go is veteran Jeremy Roenick, with NHL sources suggesting he is about to be moved to the L.A. Kings.

Forsberg was orginally drafted by the Flyers, 6th overall, in 1991. He was then traded to the Quebec Nordiques in the Eric Lindros deal in 1992 before ever playing a game with Philadelphia.

Forsberg has 741 points in 580 NHL games. He was considered the top forward available in this off-season's free agent crop.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132338)

AND THE FUCKING LEAFS DO.......NOTHING!!!!

guwapo_rocker
08-03-2005, 08:11 PM
We're done....toast...it's over before it began....again.

PHOENIX
08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Montreal Canadiens re-sign forward Alexei Kovalev and add Detroit's Dandenault

August 3, 2005
MONTREAL (AP) -- Alexei Kovalev and former Detroit forward-defenseman Mathieu Dandenault each signed four-year contracts with the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday.

Kovalev, acquired at the 2004 trade deadline from the New York Rangers, decided to stay with the Canadiens after spurning other offers -- including one to return to Pittsburgh where he enjoyed his best seasons.

The right winger will earn $4.5 million per year. Dandenault will receive $1.7 million in 2005-06, $1.7 million in 2006-07, $1.75 million in 2007-08 and $1.75 million in 2008-09.

Kovalev, one of the top forwards available on the unrestricted free agent market, had 10 points in 11 playoff games with Montreal in 2004. He scored a career-high 44 goals during the 2000-01 season with Pittsburgh

Dandenault had spent his entire NHL with the Red Wings, winning three Stanley Cup titles in nine years in Detroit.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, FINALLY the Pens get the ball rolling...

Excellent signing with Gonchar.... I'd have been happy with either him, Neidermayer, or Rafalski.... Seriously doubt that they'll get either of those two now...

That power play is gonna be FUCKING AWESOME... Can't wait until the road trip to the palacial Pojo mansion on Oct. 7th.... :D

Even ONLY the D-men on the PP will be great.... Gonchar, Tarnstrom, and Jackman (Thanks again Leafs !!! ;) ).... Then throw those other scrubs in there, like Lemieux, Recchi, Crosby, Malone....

Really surprised that Kovy didn't come back to the Burgh, but obviously the Habs must have jacked up their money to get him....

They need to sign a good RW now... Who knows who at this point...

Read a handful of different reports that Cujo is basically signed by the Pens (Thanks AGAIN Leafs !!!)... Also reading that Sean Burke may be coming as well (hope that's not true)....

Roth & Roll
08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Bobby Clarke is a moron. He's already maxed out his payroll which means he's going to be handcuffed if and when injuries start rolling in, and again at the in-season trading deadline.

The new CBA is really going to let the good GM's shine. I like what Bob Gainey is doing in Montreal. He's already stated that he wants to start the season with a $30 million payroll so he can have some flexibility to plug holes on the roster during the season. Now if only the Habs would sign Brendon Shannahan.......

ALinChainz
08-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Damn, I for one am glad the game is back.

ALinChainz
08-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Roth & Roll
Now if only the Habs would sign Brendon Shannahan.......

Coming back to play with the Wings this season.

Vinnie Velvet
08-04-2005, 08:55 AM
GM ruining Leafs
So far, Ferguson out to lunch in new NHL
By STEVE SIMMONS

JOHN FERGUSON hasn't looked so cool with how he has handled some of the Maple Leafs' affairs. (Michael Peake, SUN files)
TWO DAYS into the brave new hockey world and already John Ferguson's reputation is taking a pounding.

What, players and agents are wondering, is the general manager of the Maple Leafs doing?

The answers, however varied, are not encouraging.

Ferguson's clumsy handling of negotiations with Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk -- where he attempted to have close friend Roberts undercut close friend Nieuwendyk -- sent a cryptic message to those within the industry. And then, to follow that up with a desperation offer to Nieuwendyk, after first trying an end run on him, only demonstrated his own inexperience in deal making.

Players talk. Word gets around fast. The Leafs have suddenly become an exit ramp instead of a destination. Those who play for the team and those who want to play for the team now wonder amongst themselves about the lack of buyouts, about free-agent qualifying offers, about a team that appears to be heading nowhere.

There were 57 messages on Roberts' cellular phone on Monday, almost of all them from players around the NHL. Not coincidentally, Adam Foote, hoping to play for the Leafs, signed a long-term contract in Columbus, where no one grows up dreaming of playing for the Blue Jackets.

Just last week, board chairman Larry Tanenbaum described the Leafs as the "No. 1 franchise in the National Hockey League." Today, we might demand a recount, as the No. 1 franchise is finding itself forced to dine out on other people's table scraps.

The way Ferguson has positioned this team in the post-lockout NHL has one wondering exactly why Pat Quinn was replaced as general manager in the first place.

Ferguson insisted the Leafs would be competitive this coming season. He has not wavered from that stance. But how is that going to be possible?

Ferguson has said he had a plan heading into the re-establishment of the NHL, but no plan is evident. And the notion that he is clearing cap room to take a run at younger free agents a year from now makes nice logic if: a) you believe it; b) you think players such as Vinny Lecavalier, Joe Thornton and Jarome Iginla won't be signed long term by then; c) he has the foresight and long-term confidence to write-off an entire season and deal with the fall-out from that.

The largest problem for the Leafs is how little money they have and how the player market -- post lockout -- hasn't corrected itself as much as many expected it to. Conventional wisdom was there would be a significant drop in player contract values in the new economic world.

So far, that hasn't been the case.

Quality defenceman such as Foote, Adrian Aucoin, Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje have all signed in the $3-million to $4-million range per season. That's more money than even some optimistic of agents were banking on.

Yesterday, quality forwards but not star players such as Glen Murray, Bobby Holik and Pavol Demitra all signed contracts for more than $4 million a season. Which is out of the Leafs' price range because of the way they've bungled their cap situation.

With only a maximum of $9 million left to spend -- and remember, the Leafs and every team have to leave some room available in order to make moves during the season -- Ferguson has the ability to sign one reasonably priced player and not much more than that.

So he will gamble on Jason Allison, who hasn't played a full season in four years and he will hope. And he likely will gamble on Eric Lindros, who he can afford because Lindros missed 100 days of hockey last time there was a season and qualifies for performance bonuses and he will hope.

The No. 1 team in hockey, built on gambling, hoping and inexperience.

A year ago, the Leafs had Nieuwendyk and Roberts and Alexander Mogilny and Owen Nolan and Brian Leetch and Tie Domi -- all of them real pros -- on a team that wasn't considered good enough.

How is John Ferguson going to fix that now?

Geez, he's just as bad as his old man when he was running the Jets in the 80s.

guwapo_rocker
08-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Just signed with Anaheim.

guwapo_rocker
08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Just signed with the Sabres.

Sheep Hunter
08-04-2005, 01:00 PM
TSN.ca Staff

8/4/2005 12:53:14 PM

One of the most colourful and outspoken players in the National Hockey League will get a chance to shine in Tinseltown, as the Philadelphia Flyers have traded veteran centre Jeremy Roenick and a third round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft to the Los Angeles Kings on Thursday in exchange for future considerations.

The deal comes just a day after the Flyers signed free-agent forward Peter Forsberg to a two-year, $11.5 million US contract and the team was expected to trade Roenick and keep their payroll under the $39 million US salary cap.

Roenick will make $4.94 million US this season.

In 16 seasons with the Flyers, Phoenix Coyotes and Chicago Blackhawks, Roenick has scored 475 goals and 1120 points in 1124 regular season games.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132419)

I'm vewy vewy happy.

guwapo_rocker
08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
8/4/2005 12:17:17 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins made another move in the free agent signing period, signing right wing Andre Roy.

Terms of the contract were not released.

Roy, 30, played in 33 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 2003-04 season, tallying two points (1+1) and 78 penalty minutes.

In 21 playoff games that same season, he recorded three points (1+2) and 61 penalty minutes while helping the Lightning win its first Stanley Cup Championship in team history.

The 6-4, 221-pound Roy has played in 310 career games in the National Hockey League for the Lightning and Ottawa Senators, recording 52 points (25+27) and 734 penalty minutes. He set career highs in goals (10) and points (17) during the 2002-03 season while playing for Tampa Bay.

Roy was drafted by Boston in the fifth round (151st overall) of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132418)

ALinChainz
08-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Just signed with Anaheim.

Joins his brother ... right?

Think so ...

ALinChainz
08-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Bruins sign center Zhamnov

August 4, 2005
BOSTON (AP) -- The Bruins agreed with center Alexei Zhamnov on a three-year contract on Thursday, one day after signing defenseman Brian Leetch.

Zhamnov has 248 goals, 461 assists and 638 penalty minutes in 12 NHL seasons. He has scored 20 or more goals in nine seasons and a season-high 30 goals with Winnipeg in just 48 games in 1994-95.

He was an All-Star in 2002 and has won three Olympic medals -- one of each kind -- for Russia.

Zhamnov, 34, played four seasons of hockey in Russia before joining the NHL. He played four years with the Winnipeg Jets before he was traded to Chicago in a multiplayer deal for Jeremy Roenick.

Zhamnov played more than seven seasons with the Blackhawks, scoring 20-or-more goals five times, before finishing the 2003-04 season with Philadelphia. He returned to Russia last year during the lockout.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-bruinsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

ALinChainz
08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
2005 Nhl Free Agent Signings

August 4, 2005

FREE AGENTS SIGNING TO PLAY WITH A NEW TEAM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLAYER NEW TEAM PREV TEAM TERMS
------ -------- --------- -----
Tony Amonte, rw Calgary Philadelphia undisclosed
Adrian Aucoin, d Chicago NY Islanders 4 years, $16 million
Bryan Berard, d Columbus Chicago 2 years, undisclosed
Patrice Brisebois, d Colorado Montreal 2 years, undisclosed
Mathieu Dandenault, d-rw Montreal Detroit 4 years, undisclosed
Pavol Demitra, c Los Angeles St. Louis 3 years, undisclosed
Aaron Downey, rw St. Louis Dallas 1 year, $450,000
Adam Foote, d Columbus Colorado 3 years, undisclosed
Peter Forsberg, c Philadelphia Colorado 2 years, undisclosed
Martin Gelinas, lw Florida Calgary 2 years, undisclosed
Sergei Gonchar, d Pittsburgh Boston multi-year, undisclosed
Derian Hatcher, d Philadelphia Detroit 4 years, undisclosed
Bobby Holik, c Atlanta NY Rangers undisclosed
Jason Labarbera, g Los Angeles NY Rangers 2 years, undisclosed
Brian Leetch, d Boston Toronto 1 year, $4 million
Marek Malik, d NY Rangers Vancouver undisclosed
Darren McCarty, rw Calgary Detroit undisclosed
Shawn McEachern, rw Boston Atlanta 2 years, undisclosed
Andrei Nazarov, lw Minnesota Phoenix undisclosed
Joe Nieuwendyk, c Florida Toronto 2 years, undisclosed
Mike Rathje, d Philadelphia San Jose 5 years, undisclosed
Gary Roberts, lw Florida Toronto 2 years, undisclosed
Martin Rucinsky, lw NY Rangers Vancouver undisclosed
Miroslav Satan, lw NY Islanders Buffalo 3 years, undisclosed
Dave Scatchard, c Boston NY Islanders 4 years, undisclosed
Jon Sim, lw Philadelphia Pittsburgh 1 year, $450,000
Martin Skoula, d Dallas Anaheim 2 years, undisclosed
Cory Stillman, c Carolina Tampa Bay 3 years, undisclosed
Martin Straka, c NY Rangers Los Angeles undisclosed
Chris Therien, d Philadelphia Dallas 1 year, $500,000
Pierre Turgeon, c Colorado Dallas 2 years, undisclosed
Peter Vandermeer, w Montreal Detroit 1 year, undisclosed
Trent Whitfield, c St. Louis Washington undisclosed
Alexei Zhitnik, d NY Islanders Buffalo 4 years, undisclosed

FREE AGENTS SIGNING TO PLAY WITH THEIR PREVIOUS TEAMS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

PLAYER/POS TEAM TERMS
---------- ---- -----
Francois Beauchemin, d Columbus 2 years, undisclosed
Brian Boucher, g Phoenix 1 year, $900,000
Francis Bouillon, d Montreal 1 year, $600,000
Marc Chouinard, c Minnesota 1 year, $650,000
Manny Fernandez, g Minnesota 1 year, undisclosed
Denis Hamel, lw Ottawa 2 years, undisclosed
Jarome Iginla, rw Calgary multi-year, undisclosed
Tom Kostopoulos, rw Los Angeles 2 years, undisclosed
Alexei Kovalev, rw Montreal 4 years, undisclosed
Joel Kwiatkowski, d Florida 2 years, undisclosed
Mike Modano, c Dallas 5 years, undisclosed
Glen Murray, rw Boston 4 years, undisclosed
Markus Naslund, lw Vancouver 3 years, undisclosed
Thomas Pock, d NY Rangers undisclosed
Patrick Traverse, d Dallas 1 year, undisclosed
Kevin Weekes, g NY Rangers undisclosed
Steve Yzerman, c Detroit 1 year, undisclosed

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=freeagentsignings&prov=st&type=lgns

Va Beach VH Fan
08-04-2005, 08:31 PM
8/4/2005 12:17:17 PM

The Pittsburgh Penguins made another move in the free agent signing period, signing right wing Andre Roy.

Terms of the contract were not released.

Roy, 30, played in 33 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 2003-04 season, tallying two points (1+1) and 78 penalty minutes.

In 21 playoff games that same season, he recorded three points (1+2) and 61 penalty minutes while helping the Lightning win its first Stanley Cup Championship in team history.

The 6-4, 221-pound Roy has played in 310 career games in the National Hockey League for the Lightning and Ottawa Senators, recording 52 points (25+27) and 734 penalty minutes. He set career highs in goals (10) and points (17) during the 2002-03 season while playing for Tampa Bay.

Roy was drafted by Boston in the fifth round (151st overall) of the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132418)

Yeah, not especially excited about this one, especially if they go out and still get Domi...

I mean, how many enforcers to you need (they already have Vandenbusse)....

Latest Pens rumors....

Kariya is a strong possibility, and Selanne a little less strong....

As for the goalies, still looking like either Cujo or Burke....

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Just signed with the Sabres.

I dunno what to make of TEPPO. He's a defenseman that plays like a forward...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Domi resigned with the Leafs, 2 years for 2.5 Mil.....

Full Bug
08-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Domi resigned with the Leafs, 2 years for 2.5 Mil.....
Hooray! Playoffs here we come!:rolleyes:
I cant put into words how disgusted I am with the Leafs these days....

Full Bug
08-04-2005, 11:23 PM
:mad:

guwapo_rocker
08-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Hooray! Playoffs here we come!:rolleyes:
I cant put into words how disgusted I am with the Leafs these days....

But Bug, who could we possibly have spent that money on other than Tie?

Holy fuck, what a mess!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
08-05-2005, 07:54 AM
You guys don't know how bad I feel for you big market fans...

[[ Chuckle, chuckle.... ]]

;)

guwapo_rocker
08-05-2005, 08:49 AM
You guys don't know how bad I feel for you big market fans...

[[ Chuckle, chuckle.... ]]

;)

Ouch....

NightProwler
08-05-2005, 08:50 AM
Steve Yzerman is THE Captain!

guwapo_rocker
08-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Steve Yzerman is THE Captain!

Aki Berg is Tennille....

NightProwler
08-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Hopefully without the modified Moe Howard hair-cut!

Full Bug
08-05-2005, 10:00 AM

Holy fuck, what a mess!!!

Why should management care? They could put the Ice Capades on the ice with Leaf Jerseys and the ACC would still sell out....:rolleyes:

guwapo_rocker
08-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Why should management care? They could put the Ice Capades on the ice with Leaf Jerseys and the ACC would still sell out....:rolleyes:

That's true.

Everything MLSE touches turns to shit as far as product goes.

guwapo_rocker
08-05-2005, 10:16 AM
TSN.ca Staff

8/5/2005 9:59:37 AM

The Pittsburgh Penguins are expected to make a final decision on goaltender Curtis Joseph, possibly as early as Friday.

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, general manager Craig Patrick and Joseph's agent, Don Meehan, spoke earlier this week about the veteran netminder.

"He's going to get back to me at the end of the week," said Meehan. "He had some other priorities, but he's indicated he is going to have an interest."

"I've indicated to Craig that I wouldn't do anything until I talked to him."

Meehan says he did not discuss what kind of role Joseph would play with the Penguins, whether it be a co-number one with Marc-Andre Fleury or as a backup. However, he says Joseph is "intrigued" by the possibility of playing in Pittsburgh.

Joseph spent the 2004 season as part of a revolving goaltending carousel in Detroit, going from starter to backup to minor leaguer in the span of about five months. After veteran Dominik Hasek was sidelined for the season with a groin injury, Joseph and Manny Legace settled into the starters role. He finished with a 16-10-3 record and a 2.39 goals against average.

Meehan says up to four other teams have indicated an interest in the 38 year old.

The Penguins are also said to be interested in netminder Sean Burke.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132492)

guwapo_rocker
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
8/5/2005 12:29:59 PM

The most coveted goaltender in the free agent market has finally found a home, as veteran netminder Nikolai Khabibulin has signed with the Chicago Blackhawks.

It is a four-year deal worth $27 million US.

"When we began this process, we targeted Nikolai Khabibulin and Adrian Aucoin as the two main players we wanted to sign," said Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon.

"Not only did we accomplish our goal in signing these players, but we were also able to sign Martin LaPointe and Jaroslav Spacek. Along with Jassen Cullimore, Matthew Barnaby, and Curtis Brown whom we signed last year we feel that we have really improved our team."

Khabibulin, 32, helped lead the Tampa Bay Lightning to their first Stanley Cup title in 2004, posting five postseason shutouts and a 1.71 goals-against average.

The native of Russia posted a 28-19-7 regualr season record in 2003-2004 with three shutouts and a 2.33 goals-against average.

Since being acquired from the Phoenix Coyotes on March 5, 2001, Khabibulin has amassed a 83-74-28 record while leading the team to consecutive Southeast Division titles. He holds franchise records in wins, shutouts (14) and consecutive wins (eight).

The signing will all but likely spell the end of Jocelyn Thibault's tenure in Chicago. The veteran netminder was acquired from the Montreal Canadiens back in 1998.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132519)

guwapo_rocker
08-06-2005, 10:06 AM
And the Toronto Maple Leafs signed........

http://www.angelfire.com/scary/guwapo00/my_pics/mugs.jpg

Rodney Peuniss, Chief Towel Boy/Jock Sniffer.

Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Full Bug
08-06-2005, 10:27 AM
LOL....

Full Bug
08-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Domi takes jab at media coverage

TIE DOMI'S idea of a partnership in the re-launched National Hockey League goes beyond an improved relationship between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association.

Twice during a news conference yesterday Domi, without being asked a question, scolded the Toronto media for being too hard on general manager John Ferguson this week and implored reporters to be more positive as a whole.

"In this new CBA, as a partnership, I think we need the media on our side in this market," Domi said. "We need a positive spin on this market and this team. We need your guys' help, too. The more you knock our team, the less it is helping us. I just hope whatever John does we will be behind it."

Never mind that the majority of reporters and columnists don't pack pompoms before heading off to games.

Though he agreed later each is entitled to his or her opinion, Domi abruptly cut short an interview on AM640, apparently because of a beef with Leafs Lunch co-host Bill Watters.

HELLISH WEEK

Domi, who warned against dismissing the Leafs this season even though he referred to the club as an underdog, acknowledged the past week had been hellish. It also has not been easy for Ferguson, who could not do much as conference rivals such as the Philadelphia Flyers and Boston Bruins made a number of moves to improve.

Ferguson still has some work to do before training camp opens around Sept. 12. With the signings of Domi and Jason Allison, he has approximately $7 million to $8 million US remaining to sign four players. And there are whispers now that he is willing to trade defenceman Ken Klee after deciding to not buy out Klee's $1.9-million contract.

Biding his time in an effort to pounce on big names next summer is not part of Ferguson's thinking.

"This is not solely about today and tomorrow but it is about establishing competitiveness and an ability to win over time," Ferguson said. "It pains me to say this market has not won in 37 years and counting, but we have a plan that is going to put us in place to have a club that can win now and in the future."

Full Bug
08-06-2005, 10:34 AM

"This is not solely about today and tomorrow but it is about establishing competitiveness and an ability to win over time," Ferguson said. "It pains me to say this market has not won in 37 years and counting, but we have a plan that is going to put us in place to have a club that can win now and in the future."
Hell, I feel awhole lot better now, all warm and fuzzy, dont you guwapo_rocker?
:rolleyes:

guwapo_rocker
08-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Warm and fuzzy....yep....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 10:39 AM
TSN.ca Staff

8/5/2005 9:59:37 AM

The Pittsburgh Penguins are expected to make a final decision on goaltender Curtis Joseph, possibly as early as Friday.

According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, general manager Craig Patrick and Joseph's agent, Don Meehan, spoke earlier this week about the veteran netminder.

"He's going to get back to me at the end of the week," said Meehan. "He had some other priorities, but he's indicated he is going to have an interest."

"I've indicated to Craig that I wouldn't do anything until I talked to him."

Meehan says he did not discuss what kind of role Joseph would play with the Penguins, whether it be a co-number one with Marc-Andre Fleury or as a backup. However, he says Joseph is "intrigued" by the possibility of playing in Pittsburgh.

Joseph spent the 2004 season as part of a revolving goaltending carousel in Detroit, going from starter to backup to minor leaguer in the span of about five months. After veteran Dominik Hasek was sidelined for the season with a groin injury, Joseph and Manny Legace settled into the starters role. He finished with a 16-10-3 record and a 2.39 goals against average.

Meehan says up to four other teams have indicated an interest in the 38 year old.

The Penguins are also said to be interested in netminder Sean Burke.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132492)

Neither one of these guys would I mind...as long as they are backups...and damn...Burke or CuJo as a fucking backup...gotta love that...

Full Bug
08-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Neither one of these guys would I mind...as long as they are backups...and damn...Burke or CuJo as a fucking backup...gotta love that...
I doubt Cujo would be happy as a backup, that wouldnt sit well with him at all.....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 11:22 AM
We'll see...with Fleury...CuJo at BEST...would be a spot starter...or...a co #1 for at the most...a season...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Neither of them would be a backup, they're looking at starting whichever one they sign to start 50 games....

The goalie situation isn't even the one I'm still concerned about...

They need a winger that can actually put the puck in the net....

The better RW's remaining are Selanne, Palffy, and Bondra....

I wouldn't mind any of those, but I've always thought that Bondra was always one of the most underrated players in the NHL....

Prototypical sniper...

With Mario now retaining the ownership, they obviously feel they're gonna have the money.... I mean shit, they're actually talking about selling out the season....

I'll believe that when I see it, but it's obvious these guys are only signing with the team that will overpay for them....

Suck it up and spend the extra cash....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 02:02 PM
selling out the season?

you have got to be kidding me...

I just can't fathom that...

Selanne, at this stage...is overrated...

I agree with you about Bondra...but I've heard zilch about the Pens talking with any of those guys...

and the Pens won't overpay...I just don't see it...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 04:20 PM
I know, incredible as it sounds....

But look at it from this angle...

They're selling so many season tickets now that they might have to cut them off, so that people can still buy individual game tickets when they go on sale....

So, hypothetically, let's say they get 10,000 season tickets (again, we'll see about that).... That leaves 7,000 for individual game seats....

Their schedule is HEAVILY based on Eastern coast teams, matter of fact, the farthest west they're going is frickin' St. Louis !!

So, combine all of the hoopla with a schedule loaded with hated conference rivals like the Flyers, Rangers, Devils, and the Caps, and I think that's what they're basing it on.....

But back on the RW situation, I think they have to get SOMEBODY, I still don't think they have the firepower....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Boy how things change...to bad they didn't do this 10-12 years ago...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 04:25 PM
There are some Pens teams over the past 10-12 years that would have been SICK under these new rules...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Ask and ye shall receive !!!!!

Fuck, great signing !!!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp;jsessionid=GKKFJFBHDOFH?content=200508 06_155711_4636

Palffy pens with Pittsburgh

Sportsnet has learned the Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to a three-year contract with free agent forward Zigmund Palffy.

Sportsnet.ca -- The Pittsburgh Penguins have added another star to help rebuild the franchise.

Sportsnet has learned the Penguins have agreed to a three-year, $13.5-million contract with free agent forward Zigmund Palffy.

Pittsburgh has added some serious firepower to its squad since the lockout came to an end.

They won the draft lottery -- and more importantly the rights to Sidney Crosby -- in July, and this week they have also added Palffy and all-star defenceman Sergei Gonchar to their lineup.

Former Tampa Bay bruiser Andre Roy also headed to Steeltown this week to add some protection for Mario Lemieux and Crosby.

Palffy has averaged more than a point per game throught a career that began with the New York Islanders who dealt him to Los Angeles after six seasons. The former King has recorded 318 goals and 671 points in 642 career games.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 04:39 PM
There are some Pens teams over the past 10-12 years that would have been SICK under these new rules...

Hell yeah bro...

The '93 team was arguably their best one, but got beat in the playoffs...

Might have been 3 Cups in a row...

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 04:54 PM
It's good to see them out signing players...

I'm almost interested again...not quite though...

Nickdfresh
08-06-2005, 05:10 PM
It's good to see them out signing players...

I'm almost interested again...not quite though...

I've never been this interested in the middle of August though.

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 05:22 PM
I've been this not interested before...maybe not quite this not interested...lmfao...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 09:55 PM
The Canes get back in the game....

Sign Ray Whitney, two years, 1.5 Mil per season....

Decent signing if you ask me....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 11:39 PM
The Canes have done alright this offseason...

They've essentially decided to go with the youth movement here...which is a good move for a team that's not drawing...and doesn't have a draw...

Getting rid of O'Neill was an eye-raiser...since he was extrememly popular with the locals...

The got Stillman from Tampa...a steal in Oleg Tverdosky from Russia...former All-Star on defenese......Whitney from Detroit...which I didn't know until just now...Commodore and Hutchinson on Defense...

No HUGE stars...

but solid players...each one...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-07-2005, 09:42 AM
No doubt, good signings, not marquee per se', but solid....

Today's papers are saying that besides either Cujo or Burke, the Pens are still going to go after another center and another D-man....

This is great....

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 10:14 AM
And the Leafs.....................

Nickdfresh
08-07-2005, 10:48 AM
The SABRES are looking sucky too. Their front office is already bitching about the high priced signings...

They only have gotten TEPPO NUMINEN so far. Decent pick up, but he only partially replaces ZHITNIK who is a work horse defensemen, even if he doesn't score as much as he should. And Miroslav SATAN is gone, a lot of people didn't like him for floating in his own end, but let's see if they miss his 30-40 goals per year...

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, how things change in a week. I won't be lining up for tickets, that's for sure.

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Naslund and Bertuzzi back with Jovocop...it's going to be good.

Morrison played without the redline all last year and was 6th highest in Swedish Elite league scoring.

We will dominate with rule changes!!! How will you stop Bertuzzi???

No f-ing chance. We have been playing run-and -gun style for years now...Anybody want the Sedins?

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by DavidFlamma
Naslund and Bertuzzi back with Jovocop...it's going to be good.

Morrison played without the redline all last year and was 6th highest in Swedish Elite league scoring.

We will dominate with rule changes!!! How will you stop Bertuzzi???

No f-ing chance. We have been playing run-and -gun style for years now...Anybody want the Sedins?

The Canucks suck. The Canucks will always suck!!:D

How do I know this? I am a Leafs fan, I know everything......except what it feels like to win a cup. :rolleyes:

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Toronto is the center of the hockey universe....Deal with it....;) :D

Big signings so far...Domi!!!

It is going to be so sweet to see Leafs be beaten down by the likes of Columbus, Nashville, etc.

For those of you not in the know...the rest of Canada HATES Toronto.

While we have much love for our American brothers and sisters, we do not appreciate Torontonians pretending to be same. To watch an eastern based sports broadcast is simply too painful to bear...Leafs suck balls!

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 11:40 AM
The Canucks suck. The Canucks will always suck!!:D

How do I know this? I am a Leafs fan, I know everything......except what it feels like to win a cup. :rolleyes:

You must be joking...Leafs will be the laughing-stock of the league!!!

At least they will have a good draft pick!:D

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 11:46 AM
the rest of Canada HATES Toronto.

Jealous??

Aren't you late for your appointment at the methadone clinic??

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Jealous??

Aren't you late for your appointment at the methadone clinic??

Yeah...It is difficult living in Vancouver...I just had to clean the ocean water off of my ski boat this morning. (A bitch)

I'm most jealous of the smog-infested armpit you call TARANTA

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Ouch:D

Are all of the condo's there still crumbling to the ground??

I do like the view of the mountains though, you know, on the odd day that it's not raining:D

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Sedins for Sundin!!!

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Sedins for Sundin!!!

They're like Hanson right??

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I can't believe how the Sedins have been coddled by Canuck management so far...how long has it been (six years??!)

They will only be OK.

Why do they have to play on same line or even same team??

You should have seen the power play time those two fuckers have gotten in the past few years...

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I think signing brothers was a big mistake.

By the way, I love Vancouver:D

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Their whole game revolved on cycling the puck

Now goal is moved back, they will have nothing.

The rest of the team must hate watching those two be treated like f-ing royalty.

But, sometimes Bertuzzi is double-shifted with Sedins and they look great

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 12:18 PM
They still remind me of Hanson.

Whose the goalie there now?

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Cloutier will be signed (he is restricted free)

I think he can do it if he doesn't play more than 50 games.

He ended up being tired and hurt every other year because he had no reliable backup.

Sean Burke wants to come here, Thibault is available.

Alex Auld is our best other goalie (he is 6' 4")

I still think Cloutier can get it done

Full Bug
08-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Vancouver has a hockey team? Who knew....

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 12:30 PM

Didn't they have a basketball team too.

Toronto used to have a basketball team.

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 12:38 PM

Keep drinking that kool-aid they serve out there - you guys are brain-washed!! (another form of sheep)

You guys are about to be beaten like a red-headed step-child!

Full Bug
08-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Now I remember what jersey Vancouver wears, they should really spice them up somehow....I bet it took the residents years to come up with that deep thinking logo....:D

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Remember the yellow, red, black, orange V-jerseys??

M-fing ugly!

Nickdfresh
08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
For those of you not in the know...the rest of Canada HATES Toronto.

A lot of AMERICANs hate the Leafs too, those games are huge in BUFFALO anyways...

While we have much love for our American brothers and sisters, we do not appreciate Torontonians pretending to be same. To watch an eastern based sports broadcast is simply too painful to bear...Leafs suck balls!

CBC's HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA still has great overall coverage, watching hockey on FOX was just fucking painful. ESPN is a little better than FOX though.

Full Bug
08-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Remember the yellow, red, black, orange V-jerseys??

M-fing ugly!
Not the V one, but dont look directly at the jersey without eye protection....Welders glasses might do....

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 01:00 PM

Welders glasses might do....

Doubt it...

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 01:05 PM
look at this!! Maybe there is too much pot smoking out here!

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 01:08 PM
OUCH!!!

Va Beach VH Fan
08-07-2005, 02:09 PM
LMFAO, you gotta love the Canadian catfight..... :D

POJO_Risin
08-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Big...big rumor for the Toronto fans...that will save your season...

It appears that Ron Francis is going to play this year...at age 57...for Toronto...

You guys are in...

POJO_Risin
08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

And I was kidding...he's not really signing...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Damn, that was cold....

C'mon Poj, these Canadians are already frazzled enough....

Come to think of it though, a 57 year old Ron Francis wouldn't be the worst signing in the world....

Romeo Delight
08-07-2005, 03:54 PM
your all way off!

It's Sittler, Lanny MacDonald, and Wendy!

guwapo_rocker
08-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I'll trade Domi for Wendy....

Full Bug
08-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Big...big rumor for the Toronto fans...that will save your season...
It appears that Ron Francis is going to play this year...at age 57...for Toronto...
You guys are in...
I would still rather have him then Domi....

guwapo_rocker
08-08-2005, 03:44 PM
8/8/2005 3:33:37 PM

Chris Osgood is going back to Detroit. TSN has learned that the veteran goaltender has signed a one-year deal for $900,000.

In Red Wings history, only Terry Sawchuk has posted more wins and shutouts than Osgood, who recorded 221 wins and 30 shutouts for Detroit between 1993 and 2001. Osgood back-stopped the Wings to their second straight Stanley Cup title in 1998.

His NHL totals include 305 wins, 41 shutouts, and a 2.44 goals against average. His playoff record is 44-33 with a 2.22 goals aginst average.

Osgood, was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the 3rd round (54th overall) in 1991. He shared the William Jennings Trophy for the lowest goals against average with teammate Mike Vernon in 1995-96.

In September of 2001, he was claimed by the New York Islanders in the NHL waiver draft. He was traded to the St. Louis Blues at the 2003 trade deadline. In his last NHL season, Osgood showed he could still play, posting a 31-25-8 record with the Blues, including a 2.24 goals against average.

Curtis Joseph, who was the Red Wings' last starting goaltender, is an unrestricted free agent. Detroit now has two goaltenders under contract: Manny Legace is scheduled to make $1.162 million this season.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132824)

guwapo_rocker
08-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Canadian Press

8/8/2005 6:44:47 PM

NEW YORK (CP) - The National Hockey League has decided Todd Bertuzzi has been punished enough.

The Vancouver Canucks star, who was suspended indefinitely by the NHL in March 2004 for attacking former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore, is "immediately eligible" to return to the ice, the NHL announced Monday.

Commissioner Gary Bettman, noting Bertuzzi had been unable to play hockey anywhere during the lockout that wiped out the 2003-04 season, said a 17-month suspension was "the appropriate sanction."

"I believe that Mr. Bertuzzi is genuinely remorseful and apologetic for his actions on March 8, 2004, and the consequences that have flowed from such actions," Bettman said.
Related Info

* Text of Bettman's ruling on Bertuzzi

But he warned Bertuzzi that he was "on probation" for the 2005-06 season.

"Mr. Bertuzzi is on notice that he will be held strictly accountable to a higher standard than other NHL players for his on-ice conduct during the 2005-06 season," he said.

Bertuzzi was suspended for the remaining 13 regular-season games of the 2003-04 season and the playoffs, which lasted only seven games for Vancouver after the Canucks lost to Calgary in the first round.

Bertuzzi's suspension also cost him a chance for play for Canada in the September 2004 World Cup of Hockey and the May 2005 IIHF world hockey championship. The IIHF respected the NHL's suspension and wouldn't let him play in Europe during the lockout.

The suspension cost Bertuzzi $501,926.39 US in salary. Bettman said Bertuzzi told him he had also lost another $350,000 in endorsements.

Hockey Canada has already sent a request to the Canucks that Bertuzzi be available for a Team Canada Olympic training camp next week in Vancouver and Kelowna.

"I'm glad the NHL has finally stepped in and put him back in the game and reinstated him," Wayne Gretzky, Team Canada's executive director, told TSN in an interview. "Nobody condones what Todd did. I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you it was a mistake.

"But you know it's time to move forward. We will invite him to our training camp. He's an elite player and I expect him to have a great year and be part of Team Canada come February in Italy."

In December in Vancouver, Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily harm and received a conditional discharge. He was sentenced to a year's probation and 80 hours of community service.

Part of that probation was that Bertuzzi not play hockey or engage "in any other sporting activity involving Mr. Moore as a participant."

"Subject to the continuing terms of the conditional discharge in Mr. Bertuzzi's criminal case and the `probationary period' which this decision imposes, Mr. Bertuzzi is immediately eligible for reinstatement for play in the NHL," Bettman said.

Moore, now a free agent without a club, sustained a broken neck, cuts and a concussion.

Asked about Moore's health, lawyer Tim Danson said Moore has improved to the point where he is attempting to train.

"He is trying to train," Danson said Monday prior to the announcement. "He's trying to get back to where he was. There's challenges, He's moving along."

"He is determined to make a full recovery and resume his NHL career," Danson added. "However he has suffered very serious injuries and a serious head injury. He has to defer to the experts with respect to where he goes from here. Even if you make a full recovery by appearances, concussion injuries are a different kind of injury."

Moore has filed a civil suit in Denver naming Bertuzzi, former Canucks forward Brad May, Canucks coach Marc Crawford, former GM Brian Burke and Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, which owns the team.

Bettman's 4,500-word decision was released the same day that Gretzky announced he was taking over as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes.

The commissioner said he believed Bertuzzi "has paid a very significant price for his conduct on March 8, 2004."

"I anticipate that there will be those who will say that Mr. Bertuzzi's 17-month suspension is inadequate, and not proportionate to suspensions imposed on other players for conduct that may be considered `less severe' than Mr. Bertuzzi's actions because of the work stoppage that wiped out the entire 2004-05 NHL season," said Bettman. "I disagree.

"In light of the unusual circumstances surrounding the 2004-05 season, it is appropriate to consider not only the significant impact the suspension has had on Mr. Bertuzzi's NHL career, but also the impact that the league's suspension has had on Mr. Bertuzzi's ability to play professional hockey anywhere during this time, as well as the financial, criminal, civil and emotional consequences he has endured as a result of his conduct on March 8, 2004."

Danson, meanwhile, said prior to the league announcement that Moore had undergone a comprehensive medical evaluation at the Cleveland Clinic in June. A follow-up examine is being conducted this week.

The results of that examination won't be known until at least the end of the month.

Link (http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132827)

Romeo Delight
08-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Bertuzzi is in the shape of his life!

Look out NHL!!

Va Beach VH Fan
08-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Now there's a non-bias opinion for ya....

;)

Romeo Delight
08-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Pittsburgh might be OK, as well:cool:

Va Beach VH Fan
08-09-2005, 07:58 PM
This had been reported as Burke already being signed by the Pens, but the Pens have denied that any agreement is in place yet...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050809_141625_5100

Pens chasing Burke

Sportsnet.ca -- The challenge of surrounding young prospects with experience continues in Pittsburgh.

Sportsnet has learned the Penguins are holding ongoing negotiations with veteran goaltender Sean Burke to take some of the burden off Marc-Andre Fleury.

Sources tell Sportsnet the two parties are discussing a contract believed to be worth $3 million over two years. Should a deal be finalized, Burke is expected to handle the majority of Pittsburgh netminding duties this season.

Burke was picked 24th overall in the 1985 entry draft by the New Jersey Devils and has since spent time in Hartford, Carolina, Vancouver Florida and Phoenix. He most recently finished his second stint in Philadelphia.

Burke broke into the league with the Devils towards the end of the 1987-88 season and has appeared in 762 games while recording 304 wins.

The Penguins have been busy adding experience to a young team that includes Fleury, top pick in last month's draft Sidney Crosby and Russian prospect Evgeni Malkin. Among the veterans the club has already lured to Pittsburgh are right winger Zigmund Palffy and defenceman Sergei Gonchar.

Scuderi appeared in 13 games for Pittsburgh during the 2003-04 season recording three points and four penalty minutes.

Romeo Delight
08-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Pittsburgh got Thibault from Chicago for a 4th-rounder??

Welcome to the wonderful world of salary caps!

A great pick-up for them