PDA

View Full Version : Bullitt: The Re-Match

Cathedral
07-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Charger vs. Mustang '05 (http://motortrend.com/av/112_0508_bullitt_video/)

Now you know Ford beat the shit out of Dodge with these new rides for this year.

Yes, the Dodge Charger has returned to the Mopar Stable, and i was very excited about this idea...until i saw the car.
Call it a Dodge Diplomat, call it a Dart, call it a Polara or a Savoy....just not a Charger.

The fucking car is a cross between the Magnum and a 300, and in my life long Mopar Maniacal opinion....It's an insult to us Charger fanatics.

It claims to have a HEMI, but at 5.7 litres, a 426 it will never be.
It has 4 doors: Now when in the FUCK has a Dodge Charger EVER sported 4 doors?

Mother Fucker, I held off buying a Rumble Bee to get a new Charger and in the process i walked on by a great deal on a brand new '05 Truck only to be insulted with this thing they call, a Charger.

Anyway, I found this video that pits the Charger against the Mustang in the Streets of San Francisco for a little throw back to the 1968 film, Bullitt, starring Steve McQueen.

Enjoy!

MAX
07-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Cat,

You know I love ya brother but NOTHING beats Chevy's my friend. NOTHING!!!

Hope all is well and as always, it's great to see you posting.

Eastbound and down... :cool:

FORD
07-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Not surprised that the car is following in the neo-gothic old car stylings like everything Chrysler has released this decade.

I could speculate on the reasons for their 40's nostalgia, but this isn't The Front Line :D

Cathedral
07-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Cat,

Hope all is well and as always, it's great to see you posting.

Eastbound and down... :cool:

Hey, what you got?
I gotta a 440 in the shop that would be more than happy to run whatever Bow-Tie you got, providing i ever get this car finished.

I can't wait for the Mopar Nationals next month, I need to scavenge the swap meet area for some parts.

I wish like a mother that it was a '69, but given how much they run for these days, and Warner Bro's not helping by destroying 26 more for a damn movie....A '71 will do just fine.

moose
07-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Cathedral, couldn't agree more with ya bro!!
That is not a Charger, and when I saw thte Charger I just about "ralphed" WTF was Chrysler thinking??? I luv Mopar Muscle and the luv for dem bad boys started as a kid and this same affection has been passed on to my boys.. When it comes to trucks and muscle cars Dodge si King ......................except for the Charger.
Chrysler better re-think their design on this puppy!

Brett
07-14-2005, 10:36 AM
The new Charger is an embarrassment to the legacy of the original car.

Although they already bastardized the name with those econoboxes they called Chargers in the early 80's.

DavidLeeNatra
07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Cat,

oh lord won't you buy me a mercedes benz... ;)

porsche is also fine for me...

DavidLeeNatra
07-14-2005, 11:06 AM
and have you seen that new "maibach"...looks like a fucking batmobile !!! and that car is faaaaaaaaaaaast...

twonabomber
07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
and expensive...

i may get a Charger next summer, haven't decided yet. there's rumors of a new Challenger, but it won't be ready until '08. i don't wanna wait that long.

Cathedral
07-14-2005, 12:43 PM
All i know is that the car they had at all the shows in '99, that concept car, had more retro feel than this turd does.

But believe me, Chrysler knows that people are not happy with this design.
I'm not a Ford guy, but the new Mustang got me to a Ford dealer to drive one, and those cars are selling like hotcakes.
I was however not too awful impressed with the peformance of the Mustang.

Everyone knows who Thom Taylor is, right?
Well, he did a re-styling of the Charger keeping most of the design of the new one and it incorporated the tail light's of a '68 with the retro sculpting.
He added the coke-bottle feel to the sides of the car and added the famous door scoops also.
I wish i could find a picture of his design, he at least made me want one, lol.
I'm going to wait until the '06 Rumble Bee comes out at this point and just trade my current Ram in, i'd like to have one of these new Hemi's in my stable just to have it, even though it ain't shit compared to it's big brother.
I am hoping they add another color to those trucks for next year.
Yellow and Black are my 2nd and 3rd least favorite colors, number one hated being Red.

As for the Challenger making a comeback, if it looks anything like this Charger, forget it.
They have also been talking of bringing back the Cuda' too, but again, not if this Charger shows their current trend in botched design and styling.

Hey twona, If you are seriously interested in this Charger can i suggest maybe looking into the Magnum first?
Unless you are going to go for the Daytona R/T version of the Charger you can save some serious cash by going with the Magnum, it's the same fucking car for 10 to 20 thousand less, just in a wagon form.

I came so close to buying one of those, but for the life of me i cannot understand why Chrysler never listens to their customers when it comes to styling.
Their trucks are the only thing they have that really appeals to my taste right now.

I guess the only hope for Charger fans would be an aftermarket bolt on kit to add the key elements of the classic Charger to this new one.

As an after thought, I wouldn't have minded one bit if the new "Dukes" movie launched 26 of these fuckers through the air, but this car looks silly as a General Lee, lol.

If i were to buy one it would spend it's first year in my shop getting some sheet metal work done to it, and would be the cat's meow to all my fellow and fellowette Mopar Maniacs.

Hey, Chrysler, YOU SUCK!

Brett
07-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
and have you seen that new "maibach"...looks like a fucking batmobile !!! and that car is faaaaaaaaaaaast...

We actually have a family friend who has a Maybach, but it's a sedan. Pretty fucking incredible car. These people are just made of money, but I can't even imagine...$350,000 for a car!

Brett
07-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
and expensive...

i may get a Charger next summer, haven't decided yet. there's rumors of a new Challenger, but it won't be ready until '08. i don't wanna wait that long.

If they make a Challenger that looks like those pics I saw on my site, then it might be worth the wait. It looked pretty fucking cool.

bueno bob
07-14-2005, 01:24 PM
My tie fighter would whip all your cars asses! :mad:

Dan
07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
MatchBox Rule.

Redballjets88
07-14-2005, 02:33 PM
yeah chargers suck and in my opinion the new corvettes are crap too...it seems like they didnt put too much effort into changing it...and they decided to get rid of the flip up lights which had been on covette's for ovcer 40 years..but the new engines are massive

Cathedral
07-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
My tie fighter would whip all your cars asses! :mad:

Naaaaaaa, it's no match for the Millenium Mopar, lol.

twonabomber
07-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral

Hey twona, If you are seriously interested in this Charger can i suggest maybe looking into the Magnum first?
Unless you are going to go for the Daytona R/T version of the Charger you can save some serious cash by going with the Magnum, it's the same fucking car for 10 to 20 thousand less, just in a wagon form.

actually the Chargers will be priced close to the Magnum. sticker doesn't mean jack to me anyways, my dad is a DC retiree so i get the employee discount. the current "employee price for everyone" deal is only on '05's and excludes Magnum and 300, if i were shopping now i would have no restrictions. i don't want a Charger because of the name, i want a RWD V8.

if i were shopping right now it would be between the 300, Magnum, Charger, and Mercedes C class. the SRT's are a little more than i want to spend, and if i'm already getting near 30 large for a car i'm gonna have to consider a Mercedes too. i get 12% off sticker on Mercedes. i know i'd be giving up the Hemi but i really liked the C320's that i've driven.

i'm hoping that waiting another year will give the aftermarket tuners time to crack the computers on the Hemis and they will be modifiable. DC is being really stingy with the computer code so there aren't any programmers or chips yet.

ashstralia
07-14-2005, 07:41 PM
aussie muscle...

ashstralia
07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
yesss!

Cathedral
07-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
actually the Chargers will be priced close to the Magnum. sticker doesn't mean jack to me anyways, my dad is a DC retiree so i get the employee discount. the current "employee price for everyone" deal is only on '05's and excludes Magnum and 300, if i were shopping now i would have no restrictions. i don't want a Charger because of the name, i want a RWD V8.

if i were shopping right now it would be between the 300, Magnum, Charger, and Mercedes C class. the SRT's are a little more than i want to spend, and if i'm already getting near 30 large for a car i'm gonna have to consider a Mercedes too. i get 12% off sticker on Mercedes. i know i'd be giving up the Hemi but i really liked the C320's that i've driven.

i'm hoping that waiting another year will give the aftermarket tuners time to crack the computers on the Hemis and they will be modifiable. DC is being really stingy with the computer code so there aren't any programmers or chips yet.

I wish i had your opportunities, lol.

Tell ya what i am really drooling over, is a '66 Polara Convertible.
There is one up the road i am stalking and waiting for the guy to weaken and sell it, lol.
It's Blue with a bright ass white interior, it's straight and very very nice with a 383, and it is the first one i have ever seen with a 4-speed tranny.

Cathedral
07-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
yesss!

That's actually a good looking car in my opinion.
And coming from me that is saying a whole lot being as i am not a fan of foreign cars.

Yeah, I know, Chrysler isn't All-American anymore... :(

But nothing is anymore........

MAX
07-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Hey, what you got?

Cat,

I was just fuckin' around with you cos I'm not really into domestic "cars" per say. I personally drive a 1/2 ton Chev Suburban LT. It has a 350 Vortec in it. In my climate and with skiing, camping, boating and shit I need an SUV. As far as bigger pickups and SUV's go, I'm a total Chev dude. Also, I just love to rip on Ford products. So, I kinda stuck my foot in my mouth by posting in this thread. If I were to get (hence afford it and if it were practical) a roadster or cruisin' car I'd love to have a Chevy SSR. I think they are killer lookin'. I'd get it in black too, just like this...

http://www.hurdlock.com/Chevy%20SSR.jpg

Dan
07-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by ashstralia
yesss!

Now that's what you call a Grate Car.Holden all the way.

Cathedral
07-15-2005, 01:40 AM
I like that SSR, i haven't driven one yet but they are all over the roads here.
I love huge fenders too, lol.

Someday, if i live long enough, I want to build a Rat Rod.
I mean the nastiest, flat finished, billetless monster ever to hit the road, lol.
Right down to the orange crate seat, like they were when the war vets first started building them.