PDA

View Full Version : The Los Angeles Lakers traded for Kwame Brown.

Warham
07-14-2005, 04:12 PM
The Los Angeles Lakers traded for Kwame Brown.

The Lakers have a deal to send Caron Butler and Chucky Atkins, to the Wizards for the first pick in the 2001 draft, the Los Angeles Times reported in Thursday's editions and sources told ESPN.com.

Neither L.A. general manager Mitch Kupchak nor Washington president Ernie Grunfeld commented to the paper.

Brown's stay in Washington has been checkered.

He averaged 7 points and 4.9 rebounds in 42 games last season, slightly below his four-year career averages of 7.7 points and 5.5 rebounds. He has yet to fulfill the potential that made him the first high school player to go first in an NBA draft.

He was suspended for most of the postseason after missing a practice and Game 4 of the Wizards' first-round playoff series against the Chicago Bulls.

POJO_Risin
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Is this a good thing?

POJO_Risin
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
After talking about Larry Hughes anti-managementness...I can't wait to hear Brett spin this one...

Warham
07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I have no comment at this time.

Brett
07-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't want him. There ya go. I don't need to spin anything, I never do.

He won't pull the same shit he did playing for Phil and the Lakers I wouldn't think, but you never know.

He does have the ability to be a great player, so maybe he'll grow the fuck up playing for a real organization, who knows. His upside is very good if he has his head on straight.

And if it gets rid of Chucky Atkins, I'm all for that.

I don't think Caron Butler has as much trade value as the Lakers thought.

ALinChainz
07-14-2005, 06:00 PM
It took Jermaine O'Neil a few years to develop. He did come out of high school, and he would be a rookie this season had he went to college 4 years.

You can never tell with these high school players.

Mama's Fool
07-14-2005, 06:16 PM
So pretty much, the Lakers get rid of Shaq and get these two guys? Who knows maybe they'll look smart down the road.

VonHalen
07-14-2005, 06:31 PM
it will be cool

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm speechless, they trade two of their best players for one of the biggest draft busts of all time ??

Good luck, Kobe...

Brett
07-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Chucky Atkins is a good player? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if you consider him one of the best players on your team, then you're right, you're in trouble.

I would trade Chucky for a can of piss. That's about what he's worth. I have no problem dumping him for anything. The Lakers two best players are Kobe and Odom, not Atkins and Butler. The Lakers may also get Antonio Daniels, and that is a huge upgrade defensively over Atkins. Actually I think Chuck Nevitt would be an upgrade over Atkins.

And the Lakers don't need Butler, they need size. He plays the same position as Lamar Odom. Odom is no power forward. Of course he still averaged as many boards as Shaq did last year...but I know, Shaq had a great year. :rolleyes:

If Brown screws his head on right and is not a fucking problem, the trade could turn out well. I question whether he can or will, he has shown no sign of maturity yet. And I have no time for watching headcases.

There is no trade for Shaq that will look good, because NOBODY was willing to give up anything for Shaq. The Miami Heat's season ended the same as the Lakers, at home watching the Finals.

Neither Shaq nor Kobe got the last laugh at the end of the day, they both lost.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-15-2005, 08:37 PM
OK, so I overrated him, settle the fuck down Brett...

Brett
07-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I am quite settled and quite happy Chucky will be out of here shortly.

POJO_Risin
07-15-2005, 10:35 PM
It's not like they are going to be worse off...

1. Kwame will be playing PF...which is his natural position...NOT...Center...which he's being advertised as...

2. Odom moves to the 3 spot now...

3. I really...really like their draft pick...I do believe Bynum is going to have spots of greatness over the next couple of years...

followed by many YEARS of greatness following that...

POJO_Risin
07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Interesting note...the Lakers have Bynum working on a sky hook...lmfao...

Warham
07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
The Lakers just want a massive load playing center, but without the Big Aristotle-like ego.

POJO_Risin
07-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Bynum is going to be good...just hope the Laker fans have patience...because it won't be like Kobe...who had a decent team in front of him when he came in...

he wasn't expected to do much...

Bynum has a whole slew of expectations...and some big ass shoes to fill...

Brett
07-15-2005, 10:48 PM
Bynum has looked pretty damn good in the summer league games for a kid who has played just 25 games of high school basketball. Been scoring a ton against 3 or 4-year college players. Says a lot about his talent. I think he's gonna be good if we're patient.

If Kwame Brown's head is on straight, the Lakers have a decent front line with Odom, him, and Mihm.

If they get Antonio Daniels, they have a playoff starting 5 IMO.

Warham
07-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah, Daniels is pretty good, especially defensively, if I remember correctly when he played for the Spurs.

They'll be in the playoffs next year.

Brett
07-15-2005, 10:54 PM
He's a big guard, he's a good defender and he can penetrate. It's exactly what Phil likes. Problem is he's like the best guard left on the market and teams can easily outbid the Lakers. But he has said he was interested very much in the team, so hopefully he'll come.

Another good choice that nobody thinks about is Earl Watson, I'd take him if we can't get Daniels. Good defender, doesn't need to score a lot, good passer.

Brett
07-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Also the Lakers after being so bad with size last year would suddenly get very big with Daniels.

You'd have him at 6'5'", Kobe at 6'6", Odom at 6'10", Kwame at 6'11" and Mihm at 7'0". That's a big team, and they have some big guys coming off the bench. So size isn't going to be an issue this season.

POJO_Risin
07-20-2005, 12:30 AM
An interesting article about Daniels...

for later...horrible fucking storm...back in a moment...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
for later...horrible fucking storm...back in a moment...

Ya know, you guys always seem to get those, but when they hit the Richmond area, they peter out before they get to us...

ALinChainz
07-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Daniels signs with the Wizards.

POJO_Risin
07-20-2005, 11:11 PM
interesting...

and Va...that fucking storm was as bad a lightning storm as we've ever fucking had here...

the first storm my kid was scared out of his ass over...

and we've had some fucking bad ones...

Brett
07-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
Daniels signs with the Wizards.

Yeah Lakers didn't offer enough years. Too bad. Well there are a few other decent PG's out there that would work for them. Earl Watson comes to mind.

POJO_Risin
07-20-2005, 11:50 PM
The Lakers don't need a true point guard in Phil Jackson's offense...

they need a "PG" that can shoot...

Odom and Bryant will be the two that the ball will go through anyways...so I don't know why this is such a big deal...

their focus probably isn't on any of these guys...

my guess...is that the Lakers are looking for a PG with shooting skills...not passing skills...

ALinChainz
07-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Watson is a little small ... but would be serviceable.

POJO_Risin
07-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Phil Jackson's "pg's"?

BJ Armstrong

John Paxson

Steve Kerr

Fisher

like I said...do they really need a typical PG?

Brett
07-21-2005, 02:40 AM
They don't, but they need a defensive-minded PG who can pass. Scoring is not a big deal, you're right, but it wouldn't hurt to have a decent shooter. There aren't many great shooters on the team...hell I can't think of any of them that can shoot the 3 consistently besides Kobe. Be nice to have a sharpshooter like that. The Bulls always had that in Hodges, Paxon, Kerr.

But Poj you're right, PJ hasn't always favored big guards. But he did have Jordan and Ron Harper starting in the backcourt for the second title run, and the Lakers did the same thing with Harper and Kobe.

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Lakers: Stoudamire, Payton on radar

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Thursday, July 21, 2005

News

The Lakers have reached out to free agent point guards Damon Stoudamire and Gary Payton as possible replacements for starter Chucky Atkins, the Riverside Press Enterprise reports. They are offering a two-year deal at $5 million annually.

Views

Atkins was traded to the Wizards, leaving the Lakers with only three guards on the roster. Payton played alongside Kobe Bryant just two years ago, and that didn't work out too well, so we're voting for Damon landing in Hollywood. He'd see plenty of three-point opportunities with the attention Kobe draws.

Warham
07-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Payton's not coming back. That's like the 5th option.

He stunk when he was here.

POJO_Risin
07-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah Brett...that's exactly what I'm saying...they don't need a point...

Harper did bring up the ball for the Lakers if Jordan wasn't...

my thinking here is that Phil may be thinking similar thoughts with the Lakers this year...

that a PG isn't nearly as important as a shooter 1...and a quality guy that can share bringing the ball up the court with Kobe...

Stoudamire would fit that role...

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Stoudemire a much better fit than Payton.

The Glove should retire.