PDA

View Full Version : Opeth - how many of you know this band?

Golden AWe
07-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Are you people familiar with Opeth?

The swedish metal geniuses...have been around for 10-15 years...started with death metal, have managed to proceed from there...currently really sounding like no other band. They're coming up with a new album later this year, and currently touring US.

Go check them if they come around your area.

Check out http://www.opeth.com

nosuchluck
07-15-2005, 02:24 PM
one of my favourite bands for sure...

Vinnie Velvet
07-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Sorry, they sound gay.

Oh wait, lemmie capitalize that one.

GAY!

Golden AWe
07-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Sorry, they sound gay.

Oh wait, lemmie capitalize that one.

GAY!

Are you sure we're talking about the same band?

nosuchluck
07-15-2005, 04:57 PM
most people i talk to about Opeth say "you mean Otep?"

Golden AWe
07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
They don't look gay...

they look like a metal band.

http://strefa.rockmetal.art.pl/sylwetki/opeth.jpg

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Opeth is fucking brilliant. Saw them live on both the Deliverance and Damnation tours. The best practicing metal band on the planet today, period...I weep because I'll never be that good...

Vinnie - it started out as death metal, and it's evolved over their career into progressive death metal, I guess... :) There's the traditional amount of grunting and growling, but their ballads are simply beautiful, heartwretching and some of the most gloriously depressing things I've ever heard - out of ANY band, period. In addition to the death metal aspect, you can easily hear their influences - Camel, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Maiden, Celtic Frost...but Opeth is still it's own distinct breed. Many of their songs (most, actually) push the 10-14 minute mark, but the surprising thing is, you can actually listen to the whole song and enjoy them and NOT get bored.

Their talent knows NO limits. Trust me on this. The song "By the Pain I See in Others", off of the "Deliverance" album, has more changes in structure and delivery than any other singular song I've ever heard before, out of any band.

Opeth is one of those once-in-a-lifetime bands where every album they record is better than the one that came before it, every single time.

If you want some samples, contact me - I can send you a few things...

Trust me, you won't regret it.

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
most people i talk to about Opeth say "you mean Otep?"

lmao, I get a lot of that, too.

Golden AWe
07-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Opeth is fucking brilliant. Saw them live on both the Deliverance and Damnation tours. The best practicing metal band on the planet today, period...I weep because I'll never be that good...

Vinnie - it started out as death metal, and it's evolved over their career into progressive death metal, I guess... :) There's the traditional amount of grunting and growling, but their ballads are simply beautiful, heartwretching and some of the most gloriously depressing things I've ever heard - out of ANY band, period. In addition to the death metal aspect, you can easily hear their influences - Camel, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Maiden, Celtic Frost...but Opeth is still it's own distinct breed. Many of their songs (most, actually) push the 10-14 minute mark, but the surprising thing is, you can actually listen to the whole song and enjoy them and NOT get bored.

Their talent knows NO limits. Trust me on this. The song "By the Pain I See in Others", off of the "Deliverance" album, has more changes in structure and delivery than any other singular song I've ever heard before, out of any band.

Opeth is one of those once-in-a-lifetime bands where every album they record is better than the one that came before it, every single time.

If you want some samples, contact me - I can send you a few things...

Trust me, you won't regret it.

Great post, Bob!

I enjoy those two last albums very much...but I also enjoy "Still life" very much too.

Can't wait for the new album. I've also got tickets to see them in September. They sold out three concerts in Finland already, all three are in September!

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:09 PM
A few more pics...I really can't say enough good things about them...

leader - Michael Akerfeldt

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Peter Lindgren

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Band...

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Mike & Pete

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Band again...

Mike, Pete, Martin & Martin

oops

Golden AWe
yesss...

Golden AWe
more...

Golden AWe
more....

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Forest metal :)

Golden AWe
yup

bueno bob
Last one for now.

Golden AWe
07-15-2005, 05:14 PM
more.....

Golden AWe
07-15-2005, 05:15 PM

bueno bob
07-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Nope, no gayness here.

My gaydar is at zero.

Rebel
07-18-2005, 02:15 AM
I've got "Blackwater Park". It's pretty good, I listened to it a bit when I first got it. They are very talented, just not my thing really.

Opeth is not gay, but posting 20 pics of them might make you gay ;)

Golden AWe
07-18-2005, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Rebel
I've got "Blackwater Park". It's pretty good, I listened to it a bit when I first got it. They are very talented, just not my thing really.

HA!

Try "Deliverance" and "Damnation" next.

Last_Child
07-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I know that Band!

I don't like em' though, but one of my friends do.

Vinnie Velvet
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
Are you sure we're talking about the same band?

oops. Sorry.

I thought this was the Foo Fighters thread.

:D

Seriously, these dudes actually sound pretty good.

Great to see new bands holding up the Metal flag high!

bueno bob
07-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Rebel

Checking gayness now, I'll let you know :D

FasterPussycat
07-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Opeth is little more well known in Europe and Asia than in America as many European bands are ...
Although I am not a fan of their music, I think “Blackwater Park” is their best release so far…

Golden AWe
07-26-2005, 05:10 PM
The new cd is available for listening through their website!!!

Check it out!!!

Listening to the first song at the moment...