PDA

View Full Version : Waltrip leaving DEI...finally...

POJO_Risin
07-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Don't know much about this...but you could see it coming...

DEI's uncertain direction prompts Waltrip's exit
July 15, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LOUDON, N.H. -- Two-time Daytona 500 champion Michael Waltrip will not return next season after five years with Dale Earnhardt Inc.

"It was a totally mutual decision between me and the company," Waltrip said Friday at New Hampshire International Speedway, where he'll race Sunday in the New England 300. "It's sad to say that I'm not going to be driving for DEI anymore."

The 42-year-old driver said the decision came after several months of stops and starts. He said one of the reasons he decided to leave was uncertainly over the company's direction. Waltrip said he is delighted to have Tony Eury Jr. as his crew chief, and would certainly consider taking him to another team.

"I was hoping that I could have Tony Jr. back again," he said. "I was never told I couldn't have him, but was never told I could."

The younger brother of three-time NASCAR champion Darrell Waltrip got all four of his career victories driving for the team founded by the late Dale Earnhardt and now headed by his widow, Teresa.

Waltrip's first victory came in 2001, when he crossed the finish line at Daytona International Speedway moments after The Intimidator was killed in the fourth turn while trying to finish third behind Waltrip and son Dale Earnhardt Jr.

The departure of Waltrip could cost the team continuing sponsorship with NAPA Auto Parts. Still, DEI vice president Richie Gilmore said in a statement that the company is talking to NAPA about extending its deal.

NAPA has been Waltrip's only DEI sponsor, and he has been its most recognizable spokesman. Waltrip believes the company might go with him to another ride.

"NAPA obviously has a lot invested in me and a lot invested in DEI," he said. "They were hoping there was some way we could stay together."

Waltrip has been the most entertaining pitchman in NASCAR for several years. Like most drivers, he routinely drops the names of several sponsors into interviews, but does it with a sense of humor others seem to lack. He and his brother also have a long-running comedy routine in which the retired Darrell is constantly disappointed when Michael refuses to let him drive his Aaron's-sponsored Busch series car.

But for all his commercial success, the younger Waltrip wants to be known more for his driving. He just doesn't know where he'll be working.

"We've talked to a lot of people about what next year might look like," he said. "There are no real offers, just people interested in what I might do.

"I want to get in a car I can believe I can win with, like the one I got out of."

He refused to criticize Teresa's handling of the team.

"Dale and Teresa gave me an opportunity with a winning organization," Waltrip said earlier in the day in a statement issued by DEI. "My professional relationship with DEI is ending, but my personal relationships have ties that are deep-rooted."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

POJO_Risin
07-15-2005, 10:46 PM
handling it like a true pro...

I would love to see him succeed next year...

Dave's PA Rental
07-15-2005, 10:51 PM
One of these years im gonn make it up to Loudon...

Im definately a closet NASCAR fan...

thome
07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Waltrips a good onion.damn good driver too.

POJO_Risin
07-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't disagree with the good driver piece...

but how much of that does he owe to Dale Earnhardt and DEI?

tjvhou812
07-15-2005, 11:08 PM
i know ward burton is looking for a job
he fit nice w/dei

BREW CREW
07-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Okay, so DEI loses Waltrip and possibly Junior....they sign Truex Jr. and W.Burton......are they OKAY? Fuck that!
They are done winning any championship if they lose JR. and Waltrip in the same year.

Dave's PA Rental
07-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Ok, im not the most knowledgable NASCAR fan, but how the hell could Dale Earnhart Incorporated LOSE Dale Earnhart Jr.?

Get a new crew chief, maybe...bag out on his mom, no.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Not surprising at all....

Hmm, wonder where he will go next year...

Hendrick maybe ???

BREW CREW
07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Not surprising at all....

Hmm, wonder where he will go next year...

Hendrick maybe ??? I bet he will be in the #2 car.

POJO_Risin
07-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Wallace's car?

Penske?

Hmmmmm...don't they already have a driver for that car?

it would make a ton of sense if He goes to Penske...I see that as a great fit...

He's still the Miller Lite Car right?

I could see him doing great promos with Miller Lite...but...I hear Napa maybe going with him...

POJO_Risin
07-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Jr. just signed a five year deal with DEI...he isn't going anywhere...

and the rumblings about Jr. are that he WON'T end up at DEI...but at Childress...and if DEI won't let him take the #8 with them...that Childress will unretire #3...in which case I could see visions of that fucking commercial where everyone is changing the 8 shit...

there are also rumblings that Childress and DEI are going to be combining teams to compete with Hendrick and Roush...