PDA

View Full Version : New York Dolls recording follow-up to 1974 album

ALinChainz
07-16-2005, 11:27 AM
By Jonathan Cohen

Fri Jul 15, 8:45 AM ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - After reuniting last year for the first time in decades, seminal underground rock act the New York Dolls is at work on its first new studio album since 1974's "Too Much Too Soon."

The group, down to surviving original members David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain, expects to release the album next spring via Roadrunner Records.

Johansen and Sylvain will be backed on the set by guitarist Steve Conte, bassist Sami Yaffa, drummer Brian Delaney and keyboardist Brian Koonin. That same lineup is on the road this summer for a handful of dates, beginning Saturday at the Cisco Systems Bluesfest in Ottawa, Ontario.

"Since word has spread of the band getting back into the studio to record new material, I've been inundated with calls from various high-profile producers and artists wanting to get involved," Roadrunner A&R executive David Bason told Billboard.com. "I can't reveal any names yet but it's nice to have such a vote of confidence from the artistic community out of the gate."

"The sound of this record will be true to form New York Dolls -- down and dirty rock'n'roll," he added. "I've heard sketches of the material and if it's any indication, the record will blow you away."

The Dolls regrouped in 2004 at the urging of Morrissey, who was the president of the group's fan club during its heyday. An early comeback show yielded the CD/DVD "The Return of the New York Dolls: Live From Royal Festival Hall 2004," which Morrissey released on his Attack imprint via Sanctuary. Original bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane died suddenly of leukemia shortly thereafter. He was preceded in death by guitarist Johnny Thunders, and drummer Jerry Nolan.

Kane is the subject of the new film "New York Doll," which chronicles the ups-and-downs of his post-Dolls life. The movie is scheduled to hit theaters in October.

Here are the New York Dolls' tour dates:

July 16: Ottawa, Ontario (Cisco Systems Bluesfest)

July 17: Montreal (Les Franco Folies De Montreal)

July 23: Amagansett, N.Y. (Stephen Talkhouse)

Aug. 6: Notodden, Norway (City of Notodden)

Aug. 12: Sayreville, N.J. (Starland Ballroom)

Aug. 13: Atlantic City, N.J. (House of Blues)

Aug. 31: Anaheim, Calif. (House of Blues)

Reuters/Billboard

Article (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=1&u=/nm/20050715/music_nm/newyorkdolls_dc)

academic punk
07-16-2005, 12:11 PM
This is horseshit.

It ain't the Dolls without Johnny Thunders, peri-fuckin'-id.

Big Fat Sammy
07-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I like Johansen and all, but calling it the New York Dolls is gonna be a stretch as 3/5 of the band is dead and half of the songwriting is gone too.

I'll still check it out though. :)

FORD
07-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
This is horseshit.

It ain't the Dolls without Johnny Thunders, peri-fuckin'-id.

Exactly. They might as well call it a "Buster Poindexter" album.

WARF
07-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Very Interesting... but it ain't the same without Thunders!

Last_Child
07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Woyh!

Its SAM Yaffa, not Sami Yaffa.

VonHalen
07-20-2005, 05:59 PM
yeah, who cares

Virgil Caine
07-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Hey! At least someone makes albums slower than Boston.

Panamark
07-21-2005, 04:13 AM
Disgraceful. I cant think of anything more disrepectful than continuing
a band name when that band no longer exists..

Hmmm, reminds me of another band..

FORD
07-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Panamark
Disgraceful. I cant think of anything more disrepectful than continuing
a band name when that band no longer exists..

Hmmm, reminds me of another band..

Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Keeyth
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
No... ...Van Halen.

Keeyth
07-21-2005, 03:11 PM
or the Doors.

or INXS??? :D

FORD
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but the "Dolls" take it to a level that only the Skynyrd tribute band had done previously. Two living members and a bunch of frauds.

Panamark
07-22-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Actually Keeyth was right, I was thinkin Van Halen, But Lynyrd Skynyrd
is an equally good example...

Kiss another..

academic punk
07-22-2005, 09:07 AM
The Allman Bros qualify for me.

I saw them a couple of years ago, and it's sort of like seeing an Allmans tribute band with Gregg Allman sitting in.

But then you have a couple of Motown acts where the manager owns the rights to the bands name, and there are absolutely NO original members involved. And they're alive! And don't get to see a dime of royalties in many cases!

Pink Floyd is another...the premise was always the songs of Roger Waters (well, actually, if you want to be REEEEEEEAAAALLL technical about it, they shoud've changed their name after Syd went completely off the deep end). Without that, whether you like Waters music or not, it's a different entity, period.