PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Clinton Aide Charges Republicans 'Want to Kill Us'

DrMaddVibe
07-16-2005, 01:00 PM
By Jered Ede
CNSNews.com Correspondent
July 15, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Young liberals this week flocked to the nation's capital to hear, among other things, liberal television pundit and Democrat political strategist Paul Begala accuse Republicans of wanting to kill him and his children to preserve tax cuts for the rich.

Begala was featured at the first-ever Campus Progress National Student Conference, which was designed to provide campus liberals with the tools necessary to fight the conservative movement. The event also drew former President Bill Clinton, for whom Begala once worked as an advisor.

A panel discussion entitled "Winning the War of Ideas" centered on topics discussed in the book "What's the Matter with Kansas" by Thomas Frank and detailed the challenges that Democrats face in persuading voters in the American heartland and elsewhere to embrace their agenda and support their candidates.

Begala's presence on the panel created a stir when he declared that Republicans had "done a p***-poor job of defending" the U.S.

Republicans, he said, "want to kill us.

"I was driving past the Pentagon when that plane hit" on Sept. 11, 2001. "I had friends on that plane; this is deadly serious to me," Begala said.

"They want to kill me and my children if they can. But if they just kill me and not my children, they want my children to be comforted -- that while they didn't protect me because they cut my taxes, my children won't have to pay any money on the money they inherit," Begala said. "That is bulls*** national defense, and we should say that."

The Clinton administration's national security efforts involved the right blend of "experience" and "strength," Begala said, an assertion with which the 9/11 Commission apparently disagreed.

In its report, the bipartisan commission stated that "each president considered or authorized covert actions, a process that consumed considerable time -- especially in the Clinton administration -- and achieved little success beyond the collection of intelligence."

Begala also included Republican domestic policies in his sweeping criticism. The GOP, he said, "ain't had a new idea since they opposed Social Security, and guess what, they still do. ... They are beginning to figure out that there is no Soviet Union, but they still want Star Wars to stop it," Begala said.

"Okay, they are utterly and completely brain-dead," echoing comments earlier this year by Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, who accused Republicans of being "brain dead."

Frank insisted that Republicans are not quite as tough on national security as many Americans think.

"Franklin Roosevelt got us in World War II. They dragged the Republicans kicking and screaming. They didn't want to get in that war. They didn't have any problem with Hitler. I won't go so far as to say they thought Hitler rocked. But there were people in America who did, and they didn't want us to get in that war. Democrats have always been just as tough as Republicans once they're in office," Frank said.

Frank did not mention one of the most vocal opponents of U.S. intervention in World War II: Democrat Joseph P. Kennedy, who was one of Roosevelt's top fundraisers, the U.S. ambassador to Great Britain and father of John F. Kennedy, who would later become America's 35th president.

Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr., the eldest of the ambassador's sons, wrote his father with his own observations of the global conflict. Hitler's "dislike of the Jews ... was well-founded," the younger Kennedy explained in his letter.

"In every revolution, you have to expect some bloodshed. Hitler is building a spirit in his men that could be envied in this country," wrote Kennedy, Jr., expressing an opinion his father shared.

"I was very pleased and gratified at your observations of the German situation, and I think your conclusions are very sound," the elder Kennedy replied to his son.

Frank defended his point, however, claiming that Republicans didn't see Hitler as a threat to America until Pearl Harbor.

He repeated the Democratic criticism of America's invasion of Iraq. Saddam Hussein "was a horrible (sic), a dictator, a butcher, a tyrant, a mass murderer -- as evil as they come," Frank said, but he added: "I don't think he was a threat to the U.S. at the time."

Former Clinton administration Chief of Staff John Podesta told the students that "you can fight hard for what you believe without breaking the law, without cheating and certainly without checking your morals at the door."

Kill? How's about we just push you into the spotlight!

FORD
07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
CNS is to news as Van Hagar is to music.

Warham
07-16-2005, 02:41 PM
I thought you meant to say CBS news, FORD.

blueturk
07-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Clinton, Clinton, Clinton.....

thome
07-16-2005, 02:52 PM
cry cry babbbyyy Blame their dog gettin fleas on republican spending.

BigBadBrian
07-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
Clinton, Clinton, Clinton.....

....will be the next Democratic nominee for President.

:gulp:

FORD
07-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

in right wing fantasyland

Warham
07-16-2005, 03:03 PM
I'd rather see John Kerry as the nominee. It'd be pure comedic gold for months on end.

thome
07-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Every election is a laugh fest Dems really know how to find cadidates
of substance .

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I'd rather see John Kerry as the nominee. It'd be pure comedic gold for months on end.

Kind of like the current lame-duck presidency. He's a second term JIMMY CARTER.:)

Warham
07-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Lind of like the current lame-duck presidency. He's a second term JIMMY CARTER.:)

You won't be able to accurately judge Dubya's presidency for at LEAST another ten to twenty years, because of the foreign policy decisions.

We can judge Jimmy Carter's as being a dud.

Like Reagan said in the debate, 'there you go again'.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 03:35 PM
You won't be able to accurately judge Dubya's presidency for at LEAST another ten to twenty years, because of the foreign policy decisions.

We can judge Jimmy Carter's as being a dud.

Like Reagan said in the debate, 'there you go again'.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck; it's a duck. I wouldn't be too optimistic if I were you.

US Republicans look beyond Bush
Only eight months into his second term of office, George W Bush is already being labelled a lame-duck president.
[Jane's Foreign Report - first posted to http://frp.janes.com – 12 July 2005]

Warham
07-16-2005, 03:38 PM
He still gets to pick two Supreme Court justices. ;)

Every president is a lame duck in their second term. Clinton didn't do shit his last two years in office, besides fighting Ken Starr.

blueturk
07-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

So be it. I won't vote for her.

Warham
07-16-2005, 04:15 PM
This is what we like to hear...Democrats insisting they won't vote for Hillary. I can easily see another four years of a Republican in the Oval Office.

Cathedral
07-16-2005, 04:23 PM

Every president is a lame duck in their second term. Clinton didn't do shit his last two years in office, besides fighting Ken Starr.

How dare you insinuate that he did anything for the first 6 years of his Presidency, lmmfao.

Oh, he did do one thing.
He put Poppy Bush's NAFTA shit in place so it would destroy the best job i ever had, to that point, anyway.

Profits Trump Quality, It's a proven fact that the growling in our empty stomachs testified too.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Not eight months into it, and BUSH has done nothing but lose credibility. It's early yet.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 04:34 PM
This is what we like to hear...Democrats insisting they won't vote for Hillary. I can easily see another four years of a Republican in the Oval Office.

Which Republican douche bag will have any credibility? Funny how you guys are so fixated on the negative. It's sort of like you guys are saying that "we suck, but you guys are even worse." Doesn't really say much for the future prospect of American politics.

Warham
07-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Which Republican douche bag will have any credibility? Funny how you guys are so fixated on the negative. It's sort of like you guys are saying that "we suck, but you guys are even worse." Doesn't really say much for the future prospect of American politics.

We are fixated on the negative? You guys have done nothing but bitch and moan the last five years. And then libs wonder why people in the press pick on them for being against the troops, against the country, etc. It's the demeanor of the politicians on your side of the aisle. If people had seen any indication of a thoughful, optimistic American future from John Kerry's platform, he might have won the election.

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 04:41 PM
We are fixated on the negative? You guys have done nothing but bitch and moan the last five years. And then libs wonder why people in the press pick on them for being against the troops, against the country, etc. It's the demeanor of your politicians on your side of the aisle.

Which people in the press? All I see is incompetence in "The War on Terra'" and attempts to draw attention away from corruption scandals and ROVE's little dirty tricks. Then you whine when you get called on it. The "Liberals" aren't really making policy anymore, you have nothing but yourselves to blame for failure.

thome
07-16-2005, 04:45 PM
I'll Make War on Tera in a heartbeat!
Make War on TERA, NOT LOVE!!!!!!

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
By Jered Ede
CNSNews.com Correspondent
July 15, 2005

(CNSNews.com) ...liberal television pundit and Democrat political strategist Paul Begala accuse Republicans of wanting to kill him...

Oh yeah, who gives a flying fuck what PAUL BEGALA said at a university? How is this even newsworthy? Is this some sort of right wing feel good story for morons.

Big Train
07-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Your right Nick...I didn't need a newspaper article to feel good about Repubs. Watching libs scream and whine indicates to me things are going well. There, I have provided a sentence for Lounge to qoute and write UNBELIEVABLE with a smiley icon...:)

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Your right Nick...I didn't need a newspaper article to feel good about Repubs. Watching libs scream and whine indicates to me things are going well. There, I have provided a sentence for Lounge to qoute and write UNBELIEVABLE with a smiley icon...:)

Well, enjoy the second term agenda.;)

blueturk
07-16-2005, 07:34 PM

This is what I like to hear...another sheep thinking that everything is fine, and will be for the next three years. I can easily see that Dubya is going to leave one HELL of a mess for the Republicans to clean up, and guess what? He doesn't care at all. He won't be around. BTW, I'm not even a Democrat. I just don't like Bush.

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." —George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Warham
07-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Uh huh.

BigBadBrian
07-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
So be it. I won't vote for her.

Yes you will.

blueturk
07-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Maybe you guys can tell me why I'll vote for Hillary. I'd sure as hell like to know!

"You work three jobs? … Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." —George W. Bush, to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005

LoungeMachine
07-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Big Train

Unbeliev..........

hey, wait a minute:mad:

assh:D le

:cool: