PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Of Algeria

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 04:00 PM
The Battle of Algiers" is recommended viewing on how not to fight a counter-terrorist/counter-insurgency campaign: by only using military solutions such as torture, assassination, and raids while ignoring the root causes. The film is considered a classic primer and was banned in FRANCE in 1965.

"When colleagues in the White House asked me what to read to understand the problem after September 11, I urged them instead to get an old black and white French film, 'The Battle of Algiers.' In it, French counterterrorism authorities round up all 'know terrorist managers' and leaders (sound familiar?) but lose the war with the terrorists because they did not address the ideological underpinnings. After the known terrorists leaders were arrested, time passed, and new, unknown terrorists emerged. We are likely to face the same with al Qaeda. The only way to stop it is to work with leaders of Islamic nations to insure tolerance of other religions is taught again, that their people believe they have fair opportunities to participate in government and economy, that the social and cultural conditions that breed hatred are bred out."

--Richard Clark Against All Enemies: Inside Americas War on Terror (p. 263)

http://www.rialtopictures.com/battle.html#

BigBadBrian
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
"We are likely to face the same with al Qaeda. The only way to stop it is to work with leaders of Islamic nations to insure tolerance of other religions is taught again, that their people believe they have fair opportunities to participate in government and economy, that the social and cultural conditions that breed hatred are bred out."[/i]

--Richard Clark Against All Enemies: Inside Americas War on Terror (p. 263)

I believe that was the entire idea behind the sovereign elections in Iraq. You know, the ones where some 70% of the voting population came out to vote despite death threats.

Yes, I read his book. What a buffoon. :rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
I believe that was the entire idea behind the sovereign elections in Iraq. You know, the ones where some 70% of the voting population came out to vote despite death threats.

You sure you didn't look at the pictures?:)

BigBadBrian
07-16-2005, 09:41 PM
You sure you didn't look at the pictures?:)

You so funny. :D

Nickdfresh
07-16-2005, 10:56 PM

Unfortunately, we invaded, broke and bought IRAQ, much like the FRENCH did in Algeria. I imagine we'll leave a fucked up nation struggling with ISLAMIC and cultural factions the way they did. CLARK was talking about al Qaeda, or at least to the extent it actually exists.

LoungeMachine
07-16-2005, 11:31 PM

are you kidding me?

:rolleyes:

What a Patriot he is :cool:

Hardrock69
07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok here is the crazy fucking deal with the battle of Algiers.

The terrorists, were actually FRENCH NATIONALISTS who did NOT want the French Government to pull out of Algiers (Algiers was a French Colony up to that point).

The French Government was losing the fight to pull out of Algiers, so the only way they could defeat their right-wing countrymen was to infiltrate the terrorist organizations.

Well guess who the French Government hired to infiltrate these organizations??? The MAFIA.

What price did the French Government pay to the Mafia for their assistance? They turned and looked the other way when the Mafia was moving Heroin through Marseilles destined for New York and elsewhere.

This went on for several years.

Guess where the heroin was coming from? The Golden Triangle in Southeast Asia.

It was being moved out of the country by the brother of the South Vietnamese President (a ruthless and corrupt asshole that was installed in office thanks to the assistance of the CIA).

Right around that time, a certain President by the name of JFK ordered the South Vietnamese President to be "terminated". His brother was killed as well. This caused the flow of heroin to come to a standstill.

Here is some background on this....it is detailed in the book Triangle Of Death.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=34754

What most people do not know is that this is the background for the movie "The French Connection".

That "French Connection" was part of the series of events leading up to the assassination of JFK.

JFK was supporting French President DeGaulle in his efforts to suppress the terrorists. So, the French terrorists got pissed off by that, and the family and associates of South Vietnam's ruthless dictator, Ngo Dinh Diem, along with his brother, Ngo Nhu, were extremely pissed off that they had been murdered in a coup that Kennedy backed. And of course the MAFIA was REALLY pissed off that their heroin dollars had been cut off by the murder of the South Vietnamese president and his brother.

The Algierian problem was just one contributing factor to the events that wound up being a prelude to the death of JFK.

I have that book Triangle Of Death. It is a pretty good look inside the underworld of Global Politics in the 50s & 60s.

And of course, after the American Mob had helped get JFK elected in 1960, JFK turned right around and hired his brother Bobby to be Attorney General, and told him to start going after the Mafia.

This is all not to mention Castro and the Soviet Union, who were not exactly happy with JFK either.

It is truly amazing that JFK could infuriate so many people and organizations in positions of power at one time.

It is no wonder he got taken out.

:cool:

BigBadBrian
07-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey, it sounds good.

:gulp:

Mr Grimsdale
07-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately, we invaded, broke and bought IRAQ, much like the FRENCH did in Algeria. I imagine we'll leave a fucked up nation struggling with ISLAMIC and cultural factions the way they did. CLARK was talking about al Qaeda, or at least to the extent it actually exists.

Maybe, but you didn't get your prisoners to stand in buckets of water and connect their knackers to a field telephone which you then wound up.

Nickdfresh
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
Maybe, but you didn't get your prisoners to stand in buckets of water and connect their knackers to a field telephone which you then wound up.

SHOCKING!

All in good time my friend.:)

Actually, we like to semi-drown them.

Serling
07-21-2005, 09:01 PM
"...Doomed to repeat it." Again.

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 09:11 PM

I was actually referring to the basic point of the film in which the French security forces usually got the main terrorist commanders thinking the whole thing would end as a result. But the commanders were quickly replaced because the climate that spawned the terrorism remained in place.

Mr Grimsdale
07-22-2005, 02:33 PM
I know, I was just being a prat.

It's supposed to be an interesting and pretty shocking film.

Nickdfresh
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Just saw this film. Fascinating and powerful - almost worth sitting home for on a Saturday night...

Nickdfresh
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I know, I was just being a prat.

It's supposed to be an interesting and pretty shocking film.

It's the point of view aspect that's interesting. You sort of see the methods of the FLN (Algerian nationalists) freedom fighter/terrorists, like using attractive young women to slip past the security forces to plant bombs in restaurants in the "European quarter." You almost see the perspective of the terrorists and their motivations...