PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban would be "interested" in buying Pirates

Va Beach VH Fan
07-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Since you bastards don't read my Pirate thread, and since I think this would be a helluva story, if it ever came to fruition, I'll start another thread...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05197/538914.stm

Cuban interested if Pirates for sale

Mt. Lebanon native also amenable to joining current ownership group if asked

Saturday, July 16, 2005

By Paul Meyer, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CHICAGO -- Billionaire and Mt. Lebanon native Mark Cuban said yesterday he would be interested in investigating buying the Pirates if they became available.

The flamboyant owner of the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA also said he would be amenable to joining the Pirates' current ownership group -- if asked -- if there were a risk of the baseball team leaving Pittsburgh.

Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy didn't return a phone call last night, but he did say in a statement, "There's no chance of the Pirates moving away, so it's really a nonissue."

Cuban made his comments at the Pirates' game against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field, where he led the crowd in the traditional singing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" after the top of the seventh inning.

"It absolutely killed me to sing 'Root, root, root for the Cubbies,' " Cuban said. "I asked the broadcasters later if anybody had ever put in the other team."

Cuban also wore a Cubs jersey with his name on the back during the song, but he quickly reaffirmed his loyalty to the Pirates and Pittsburgh when he met with reporters after leaving the WGN broadcast booth.

"I'm a baseball fan," he said. "I'm a huge Pirates fan. I'm a Pittsburgh fan."

Cuban, who will be 47 July 31, was asked if he'd be interested in purchasing the Pirates.

"If they ever decided to sell, I'd definitely be interested in taking a look," Cuban said. "But I'm certainly not the type to be proactive about it because that's not fair to Kevin.

"They've done their best with the Pirates, getting the stadium built. I think the Pirates have a great young nucleus for the future."

Cuban, who made his fortune by selling his streaming video company, broadcast.com, to Yahoo in 1999, bought the Mavericks in 2000.

"I look at the Pirates kind of like the Mavericks," he said. "People didn't have a lot of expectations when I bought them. All of a sudden, the switch flipped and things have been going great ever since. That's because we had a great young nucleus, and I think the Pirates have that opportunity as well."

The small-revenue Pirates seem en route to their 13th consecutive losing season. Would Cuban -- if asked -- join their ownership group, presumably to supply a large infusion of cash?

"It's something I'd consider," he said. "Like I said, I'm a Pirate[s] fan. And if it ever got to the point where there was the risk of them being moved out of Pittsburgh, then, yeah, that's something I would consider.

"To me, it's important that [Pittsburgh has] our complement of [professional] teams."

Cuban plans to be in Pittsburgh Monday. He'll give a speech at a fund-raiser for St. Clair Hospital -- "I don't know about what yet," he said -- then he'll attend the Pirates game that night against Houston.

"Hopefully, we'll have a better showing," he said, referring to the Pirates' 11-1 loss yesterday.

Cuban plans to attend the game with his father, his brother and some high school friends. He's well aware that his attendance might spark speculation that he's going to buy the team.

"There was an article in [a Chicago] paper [yesterday] about me buying the Cubs," Cuban said. "You know, wherever I go, someone's going to speculate.

"I just want to go to the game [Monday], sit in center field and just eat hot dogs and drink beer."

Somebody asked Cuban if he could have already bought the Pirates if he just had the money he has paid in NBA fines over the years.

"No," he said, then added with a laugh, "but I could put a down payment down."

POJO_Risin
07-24-2005, 01:21 AM
lmfao...noone read this fucking dumbass thread either...

but it would be GREAT for the franchise and the city if he did...

Redballjets88
07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
mark cuban rocks

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm liking this story more and more every day...

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14911743&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Rumors and Rumblings

Sources indicate Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, has checked into terms of the economic development loan the commonwealth of Pennsylvania made to the Pirates that enabled PNC Park to be built. That is the strongest indication yet that Cuban could be serious about wanting to buy the Pirates.

POJO_Risin
07-24-2005, 06:28 PM
So...the key to you hating teams that abuse money...is that you aren't a backer of a team that abuses money?

So all this bitching that you do about money isn't because you really believe what you say...lmfao...but because you wish you were one of them?

Just curious...

and...

looking forward to your if you can't beat them...join them reply...;)

Your Buccos will now have money...if this goes through...

but so do the Mavs...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Well, you know what they say...

If you can't beat, wait, you already said that.... ;)

I, personally, wish that this wasn't the best answer to get competitive, i.e. simply getting a richer owner...

It's readily apparent that MLB will never get their collective heads out of their collective asses....

It's a damn shame that great baseball towns that are rich in baseball history like Kansas City and Pittsburgh are now baseball laughingstocks because their ownership doesn't spend as much money as their big-city counterparts....

I will completely agree with you, at least in Pittsburgh's case, that they've equally fucked themselves in terms of bad free agent signings, terrible trades, and equally bad other transactions, such as losing 5 top prospects after incredibly making them available in the Rule 5 draft....

But if you have a CBA that even remotely makes it possible for all teams to be competitive, then those bad decisions are not magnified 10x....

Watch and see how competitive the NHL will be with this new CBA.... No longer will you have the Detroit's, Toronto's, and Philadelphia's of the league free spending.... Those big wigs must adhere to the same spending limits as all of the other teams....

And in terms of the Mavs, you have to admit, after Cuban took over the reins, they're now a perennial Western Conference playoff team... Wasn't that way before....

High Life Man
07-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Cuban's a sally. Uecker always says Brewers when he sings at Wrigley.