PDA

View Full Version : Lynch Released By Bucs

ALinChainz
03-11-2004, 04:26 PM
March 11, 2004

SAN DIEGO (TICKER) -- A little more than a year after helping the Tampa Bay Buccaneers win the Super Bowl, John Lynch is searching for another team.

The five-time Pro Bowl safety announced in an emotional news conference in his hometown of San Diego on Thursday that he has been released by the Buccaneers.

"I am saddened and shocked," Lynch said. "I understand that tough decisions have to be made. But I think the decision is wrong."

Lynch, 32, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and linebacker Derrick Brooks formed the nucleus of a defense which turned the Bucs into a perennial playoff team and a Super Bowl champion in 2002.

However, the Bucs have no intention of re-signing Sapp, who is an unrestricted free agent, and have now cut ties with Lynch after a disappointing 7-9 season.

The longest-tenured player on the Bucs with 11 years of service, Lynch was limited by a shoulder injury last season, ending his streak of four consecutive Pro Bowl trips.

New Bucs general manager Bruce Allen informed Lynch on Wednesday that he was no longer in the team's future plans - a move that will save the Bucs about $4 million in salary cap space in 2004.

"I don't agree with it and I let Bruce know it," said Lynch, who had signed a six-year extension in 2000. "I truly believe my best years as a football player are ahead of me. But in my heart, I'll always be a Buccaneer."

Sarge
03-12-2004, 01:54 PM
That sucks.
Lynch is a great player.

It looks like Sapp is next.

What a shame.. they had an awesome defense for about 5 years

ALinChainz
03-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Lynch is already gotten calls from Dungy and the Colts, and Herm Edwards and the Jets.

He won't be without a team long.

POJO_Risin
03-12-2004, 04:20 PM
He's lost a step or two...but he's still better than most...

He could be a huge player for the Colts especially...

Of course...he could just be in Sehorn's league these days...

POJO_Risin
03-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Well...You know that Gruden wants to stack that offense...

To bad...their defense was one of the good ones...but again...longetivity wasn't in their favor...