PDA

View Full Version : Favortie Maiden song

sammysucks65
07-18-2005, 10:41 PM
we all love iron maiden right bruces vocals hypnotize us...adrians riffs empower us...well any way whats your fav maiden tune

me its

1.run to the hills
and
2. two minutes till midnight

discuss!

:)

SoldMySoul4RnR
07-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Prowler
The Evil That Men Do
The Prisoner
Where Eagles Dare
The Trooper

hollywood5150
07-19-2005, 12:12 AM
1. can I play with Madness

2. lonliness of a long distance runner

3. wasted years

4. run to the hills

DeadOrAlive
07-19-2005, 12:14 AM
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

nosuchluck
07-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Wrathchild

Mr Badguy
07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Sign of the cross (!)

Mr. Vengeance
07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
1. can I play with Madness

2. lonliness of a long distance runner

3. wasted years

4. run to the hills

Oh Christ...someone who actually like Long Distance Runner???

1.Flight of Icarus

2.Revelations

3. 22 Acatia Avenue

4. Die with your Boots On

Could go on and on.....

canadiandlrgirl
07-20-2005, 02:49 AM
run to the hills and bring your daughter...to the slaughter

Matt White
07-20-2005, 03:04 AM
1.) Wasted Years

2.) The Trooper

3.) The Flight of Icarus

4.) The Prisoner

5.)WrathChild

Panamark
07-20-2005, 04:29 AM
2 minutes to midnight
Run to the Hills
Number of the Beast
Wasted Years
Aces High

Hoongood
07-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
The Trooper
Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
About 30 others

bueno bob
07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
To Tame a Land
Flash of the Blade
Sun and Steel
Back in the Village
Powerslave
Purgatory
Die With Your Boots On
Reach Out
Sheriff of Huddersfield
Wasted Years
Sea of Madness
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Clairvoyant

When it comes to Maiden, I think their lesser known and/or more obscure material is better than their "hits".

nosuchluck
07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Matt White

4.) The Prisoner

i love that song! very underrated imo...

Anonymous
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Despite the fact that the truly grate - read hit - albums are the ones up until 'Fear of the Dark' - I always thought that Maiden lost it when Bruce left and they never got it back (see 'Brave New World') - I find that their latest effort contains a couple of pearls, like the - for me - best Maiden song ever: 'Montségur'. A true work of art. Bruce never sounded so grate, and the guitar work is simply amazing!

Cheers! :bottle:

nosuchluck
07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
Despite the fact that the truly grate - read hit - albums are the ones up until 'Fear of the Dark' - I always thought that Maiden lost it when Bruce left and they never got it back (see 'Brave New World') - I find that their latest effort contains a couple of pearls, like the - for me - best Maiden song ever: 'Montségur'. A true work of art. Bruce never sounded so grate, and the guitar work is simply amazing!

Dance of Death was very very weak album imo - didnt have any real memorable moments. the guitars solos were subpar at best.
for me, the best moment on that album is when the guitar harmonies kick in after the guitar solo in "rainmaker"...

VonHalen
07-20-2005, 05:21 PM
two minutes till midnight

RuzDNailz
07-20-2005, 05:27 PM
1. Number Of The Beast
2. Wrathchild
3. Prisoner
4. Clairvoyant
5. Tailgunner
6. Trooper
7. Afraid To Shoot Strangers (probably the BEST guitar intro ever for a song!)

I'll be seeing them this time in 2 weeks!:D

Mr. Vengeance
07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
I'll be at the Toronto show too.

ben halen
07-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Wrathchild
Anything off Number of the Beast or Piece of Mind

FasterPussycat
07-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Not necessary in order of preference…it changes time to time!

Aces High
Hallowed be thy Name
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Evil That Men Do
The Clairvoyant

RuzDNailz
07-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I'll be at the Toronto show too.

You got good seats? I got some decent spots but at least it overlooks
the whole stage. Last concert at the Molson Amphitheatre was good because I sat right near the stage, but I couldn't see 70% of the stage
because of those stupid pillars.

Mr. Vengeance
07-21-2005, 10:14 AM
We have beautiful seats in section 203. Sat in almost the same spot for Priest this summer and they kick ass! Last time Maiden came we were in the tenth row, which was great.

bueno bob
07-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by nosuchluck
Dance of Death was very very weak album imo - didnt have any real memorable moments. the guitars solos were subpar at best.
for me, the best moment on that album is when the guitar harmonies kick in after the guitar solo in "rainmaker"...

The best moment for me was when it ended...

Short of a few different guitar harmonies, even the reunion with Bruce hasn't been anywhere near as good as I'd hoped.

IMO, Maiden has recorded one pile of useless shit after another ever since "No Prayer for the Dying" was released...to varying degrees of shittiness, but they've all been shitty.

It's been almost 20 years since they've put an album out that I could listen to (beginning to end) and say "Now that was a fun album" to after it was over.

Vinnie Velvet
07-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

Short of a few different guitar harmonies, even the reunion with Bruce hasn't been anywhere near as good as I'd hoped.

IMO, Maiden has recorded one pile of useless shit after another ever since "No Prayer for the Dying" was released...to varying degrees of shittiness, but they've all been shitty.

It's been almost 20 years since they've put an album out that I could listen to (beginning to end) and say "Now that was a fun album" to after it was over.

While Brave New World (2000) and Dance of Death (2003) are not in the same league as Powerslave or Number of the Beast, I thought they were good albums.

Have another listen to those, especially the last one, Bob. There are some cool songs there.

bueno bob
07-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
While Brave New World (2000) and Dance of Death (2003) are not in the same league as Powerslave or Number of the Beast, I thought they were good albums.

Have another listen to those, especially the last one, Bob. There are some cool songs there.

Will do. Gotta leave for work in a few minutes, I guess that's as good an opportunity as any to try 'em again.

2nd listens never hurt. I went through BNW twice and DOD once, so...anything could happen.

Anonymous
07-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by nosuchluck

Originally posted by bueno bob

'Dance of Death' is a grate album... it's just not Maiden anymore. Or, better said, it's not ONLY Maiden. It's Maiden and Bruce's solo sound. How to explain this... take 'Powerslave' and 'The Chemical Wedding', mix them, and you'll get something along the lines of 'Dance of Death'. It's not shit... it's just different. And I still say the guitar work and Bruce's performance on 'Montségur' are simply amazing.

But 'Brave New World' is still shit... despite a couple of good songs.

Vinnie Velvet
07-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
'Dance of Death' is a grate album... it's just not Maiden anymore. Or, better said, it's not ONLY Maiden. It's Maiden and Bruce's solo sound. How to explain this... take 'Powerslave' and 'The Chemical Wedding', mix them, and you'll get something along the lines of 'Dance of Death'. It's not shit... it's just different. And I still say the guitar work and Bruce's performance on 'Montségur' are simply amazing.

But 'Brave New World' is still shit... despite a couple of good songs.

And also because there is a MIX, that of having both Janick Gers and Adrian Smith playing and writing songs.

I never liked Janick. He may be fast on the fretboard, but that's about it. He can't write songs nor is he great in the rythum department.

While Adrian is great at it.

That's why No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are very weak albums -- mostly because Adrian was absent. Bruce was also getting tired of Maiden at this point as well.

The Best Maiden lineup will always be Nicko (or Clive), Steve, Davey, Adrian and Bruce (and with Martin Birch producing).

That's why there were so consistent with great albums.

Anonymous
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
And also because there is a MIX, that of having both Janick Gers and Adrian Smith playing and writing songs.

I never liked Janick. He may be fast on the fretboard, but that's about it. He can't write songs nor is he great in the rythum department.

While Adrian is great at it.

This seems to be a matter of opinion, then... even if I'm the only person I know who prefers Janick. :D I'm quite aware that Adrian is technically better than Janick, but I actually prefer Janick's playing. It seems so much more intense than Adrian's. Matter of opinion, though.

That's why No Prayer and Fear of the Dark are very weak albums -- mostly because Adrian was absent. Bruce was also getting tired of Maiden at this point as well.

I wouldn't say those two are weak albums... I view them as the heavier albums of the bunch and the BEST. Of course, that may be due to my preference. As for Bruce getting tired of Maiden... yes, I'd say it started right about that point in time. Maybe that's why these albums were more aggressive? Because of some tension between them? Quite possibly...

The Best Maiden lineup will always be Nicko (or Clive), Steve, Davey, Adrian and Bruce (and with Martin Birch producing).

That's why there were so consistent with great albums.

It'd be completely absurd to argue with that logic, as sale numbers so coldly agree with it... :lol:

Shaun Ponsonby
07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Wildest Dreams
The Wicker Man
Fear Of The Dark (the Rio version especially-I love the Rio audiences)
Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Bring Your Daughter (a UK number 1 hit)
The Prisoner
The Trooper
The Evil That Men Do

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 10:34 PM
bring your daughter to the slaughter

bueno bob
07-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, I'm forced to give BNW a lot of credit now...after a relisten, I must say I like a lot of it more now than I did when it was first released. Ghost of the Navigator reminds me of Total Eclipse still, but Dream of Mirrors, Brave New World, The Nomad, Out of the Silent Planet, Thin Line...actually I was very surprised by how much I liked them now.

As far as Dance of Death is concerned, it's not too awfully bad. I like it a bit more. It still seems to be missing a standout track (maybe Rainmaker?), but overall I suppose it's a fairly solid album. Certainly different. But - nowhere near as bad as Fear of the Dark and No Prayer for the Dying were...or X Factor or Virtual XI, for that matter.

I'll cast my vote in for Adrian as well, I'm not entirely preferential to Janick, either.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I think DOD is an album you need to give a few spins before you enjoy it completely, like Velvet Revolver did. It doesn't grab you, you need to give it some time.

nosuchluck
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
i tried to like DoD. listened to it over and over - just couldn't get myself to like it. could barely stay awake at the end of it, really.
at this point, i'd be happy to sell the cd.

nosuchluck
07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
anyway, back on topic.

Infinite Dreams is a stellar song. and underrated as well...

RuzDNailz
07-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Steve Harris bass playing is very unique. Listen to the intros for Wrathchild, Tailgunner, and Clairvoyant. Fingers are going crazy and
galloping. I saw Maiden for the first time with Blayze fronting them
while Bruce was doing his Solo thing which was really good. Listen carefully to the lyrics of Tattooed Millionaire. That song takes a lot of
shots at some performers.

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 07:05 AM
saw 'em at the capitol in sydney, '83.

back in the day when your concert ticket didn't have a number.

if ya got there first, i was right next to you in the front row.

fucking beyond awesome.

first time i saw titties, and smelled pot!

damn, good times.

DLR ROCKS
07-24-2005, 02:20 AM
The Trooper
Number Of The Beast
Lucky To Lose
Iron Maiden
The Prisoner
Dance Of Death

RuzDNailz
07-24-2005, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by ashstralia
saw 'em at the capitol in sydney, '83.

fucking beyond awesome.

first time i saw titties, and smelled pot!

damn, good times.

Yeah, most concerts you get that. Joints getting passed around me and chicks flashing. *schwing!* Now THAT'S the concert-going experience! Oh, believe me you can still go to a concert and request
the pit where it's first come, first to the stage. Consequently, you are
likely to get bumped around and people getting into brawls.

nosuchluck
07-24-2005, 04:09 AM
i'm a bit surprised that nobody's said "Alexander the Great" yet...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ashstralia

You don't have seating in many venues in the UK-most of them are standing, all the arenas are standing on the floor, and seated at the sides, and in the old Ham-O (Hammersmith Odeon, now The Apollo), they have taken the seats out of the balcony, so thats all standing.

ashstralia
07-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
you are
likely to get bumped around and people getting into brawls.

it wasn't like that ruz.

even massive bikies and shit... the show was SO good,

that we's all just hangin out grooving on the maiden.

i forgot to mention my fave song;

it's a coin flip.

'ryme of the ancient mariner'

or 'the prisoner'.

Don Corleone
07-27-2005, 05:33 AM
Wow, favourite Maiden songs. There are so many I like, so narrowing it down will be hard work (but I'll give it a go)

Wasted Years
Run to the Hill
Aces High
Die With Your Boots On
The Prisoner
The Evil that men Do
Number of the Beast
Killers
Iron Maiden

I also quite like Long Distance Runner, what sets that song up for me is Adrians solo (it fits so well)

With regards to Adrian/Jannick, I've never really rated Jannick as a guitarist or songwriter (I find his work to be sloppy at best), so I'm saying Adrian here (plus I'm a huge fan of his playing style)

Mr Badguy
07-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
bring your daughter to the slaughter

I can`t stand that song.

Why Steve Harris ever wanted Maiden to record it beggars belief.

It is a stupid cornball bunch of shit that has nothing to do with anything, which is unlike any other Maiden song up until that point.

Before that, all their songs were self confessional or fantasy/history but what the fuck does "Bring your daughter...to the slaughter" mean?

I was so embarrased when that got to No. 1 here in the UK, especially after the four excellent top 10 singles two years earlier.

Come "Fear of the dark" and Steve himself was doing the same, with his bullshit "From here to eternity", probably the most vaccuous he has ever released.

When I think of the "No prayer..." and "Fear of the dark" albums I think of those two songs, and it makes me dislike both those albums, although not much else on them is top quality either.

Golden AWe
07-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Seventh son of a seventh son. I'm not a big fan of Maiden, but I love the slightly progressive stuff, and this band has treated their fans well through the years, and they're a kewl bunch of funny mo'fos.

DeadOrAlive
07-27-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm suprised nobody else said Phantom of the Opera, it's one of the greatest guitar songs ever written. I get chills whenever I listen to the breakdown of the song.

DavidLeeNatra
07-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
I'm suprised nobody else said Phantom of the Opera, it's one of the greatest guitar songs ever written. I get chills whenever I listen to the breakdown of the song.

somebody did on the first page, junior ;)

Hallowed Be Thy Name (live after death-version)

Hoongood
07-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Has anyone else noticed the similarity between the riff in "The Prisoner" and "Romeo Delight"?

mewisemagic
07-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Murders In The Rue Morgue...

Shaun Ponsonby
07-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I can`t stand that song.

Why Steve Harris ever wanted Maiden to record it beggars belief.

It is a stupid cornball bunch of shit that has nothing to do with anything, which is unlike any other Maiden song up until that point.

Before that, all their songs were self confessional or fantasy/history but what the fuck does "Bring your daughter...to the slaughter" mean?

I was so embarrased when that got to No. 1 here in the UK, especially after the four excellent top 10 singles two years earlier.

Come "Fear of the dark" and Steve himself was doing the same, with his bullshit "From here to eternity", probably the most vaccuous he has ever released.

When I think of the "No prayer..." and "Fear of the dark" albums I think of those two songs, and it makes me dislike both those albums, although not much else on them is top quality either.

Do you know HOW it got to number 1?

I saw Bruce Dickinson talking about it on SKY. He said it was coming up to christmas and Cliff Richard was releasing his usaul CASH-IN-AT-CHRISTMAS bonanza, and Maiden were about to release "Bring Your Daughter..." at the same time, and at the time they were on tour in the UK, so he said to the crowds every night "Lets stop Cliff from getting ANOTHER number one hit near Christmas time, go out and buy the new single and get it to the top of the charts. This is like a public service". And, the rest is history.

Hardrock69
07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
My favorite song is probably Number Of The Beast.

My favorite Iron Maiden songs to PLAY are Number Of The Beast & Powerslave albums in their entirety.

I first saw them live on the Somewhere In Time Tour. THe loudest concert I ever saw. PA was 185,000 watts, and that was INDOORS.

I saw them again in 2000 in St. Louis with Queensryche & Halford.

Halford voice was shot. He sounded like a rabid cat gagrgling with sandpaper and gravel.

I had 5th row seats, courtesy of Halford's manager. Maiden kicked fucking ass!!!

Mr Badguy
07-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Do you know HOW it got to number 1?

I saw Bruce Dickinson talking about it on SKY. He said it was coming up to christmas and Cliff Richard was releasing his usaul CASH-IN-AT-CHRISTMAS bonanza, and Maiden were about to release "Bring Your Daughter..." at the same time, and at the time they were on tour in the UK, so he said to the crowds every night "Lets stop Cliff from getting ANOTHER number one hit near Christmas time, go out and buy the new single and get it to the top of the charts. This is like a public service". And, the rest is history.

Yeah, I know.

I also remember the ridiculous amount of different formats the single came out on: CD, 7", 12", 12" picture disc, different sleeves.

They could have released anything and it would have went to the top of the charts.

Unfortunately it was THAT song and now it`s regarded as some sort of classic.

Why couldn`t "Infinite dreams", one of their best ever songs, not have done it instead?

nosuchluck
07-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Hoongood
Has anyone else noticed the similarity between the riff in "The Prisoner" and "Romeo Delight"?

hahahah
yeah, its a bit similar...

The Alexster666
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
The clairvoyant

maiden kicks fuckin ass, but....why is every song on no prayer for the dying crap?

also...why is the only good song on fear of the dark, fear of the dark?

This makes me hate yannik.

i really like brave new world (album...and song for that matter,) silent planet is the best on that one

dance of death....eh....rainmaker is good. i am curious to see what is next

The Alexster666
07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
hallowed be thy name!

DavidLeeNatra
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
while reading all this I think...UP THE IRONS!

theicecreamman
07-27-2005, 02:05 PM
1.Phantom of the Opera
2.Aces High
3.Hallowed Be Thy Name
4.Powerslave
5.The Prisoner

Iron Maiden Kicks Ass

Hardrock69
07-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I like some of the songs on No Prayer For The Dying...about 3 or 4...the rest did not impress me.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yeah, I know.

I also remember the ridiculous amount of different formats the single came out on: CD, 7", 12", 12" picture disc, different sleeves.

They could have released anything and it would have went to the top of the charts.

Unfortunately it was THAT song and now it`s regarded as some sort of classic.

Why couldn`t "Infinite dreams", one of their best ever songs, not have done it instead?

Still, rather a m,bad Maiden song at number one than a REALLY bad Cliff Richard song.

MK5150
07-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Caught Somewhere in Time
Heaven Can Wait
Alexander the Great
Powerslave
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Trooper
The Evil that men do
Phantom Of the opera
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Number Of the Beast
Run to the hills

nosammy
07-28-2005, 02:43 PM
number of the beast and run to the hills

sammysucks65
07-28-2005, 03:43 PM
hey ia m glad i started this thread ....cause.....iron maiden is one of my new favorite bands...i love em cant get enoughi just love the wayu the vocals of bruce blend in with all the other instruments and how good there bass player is and the drums really sound good

can forget all those wonderfull solos and riffs
they fucking rock

man up there with vh

lesfunk
07-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Murders in the rue morgue