PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Dead!

Warham
07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I just heard on FOX News that Scotty from Star Trek died. James Doohan.

Sad day for Trekkies. I'm sure they'll all speak Klingon today in honor of him.

bueno bob
07-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Can you imagine the arguments him and McCoy are having in Heaven?

ThrillsNSpills
07-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Star Trek actors never "die."

They beam up.

bueno bob
07-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Or get re-written into a different show featuring younger actors that gets cancelled within a year or two since it can't ever find an audience :)

Nickdfresh
07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Fair yee well on the last voyage my friend...
http://www.space-debris.com/st_doohan_station.jpg

bueno bob
07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
To boldly go where everybody's gotta go sooner or later...

FORD
07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/Photos/DoohanA.jpg

James Doohan, 'Star Trek's' Scotty, dead

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.' "

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Jesus Christ
07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Verily, I hath beamed up Scotty. Sorry for thy loss, My children :(

Dave's PA Rental
07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
He's not dead...his particles are being kept in an eternal transporter-loop...dont you guts watch TV?

Hey, was that a Voyager episode?

Vinnie Velvet
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Live Long and Prosper.....among the stars.

:(

Golden AWe
07-20-2005, 12:06 PM
So he was canadien? His accent was a very interesting one...sounded irish or something.

RIP

Ally_Kat
07-20-2005, 12:19 PM
awh! :( He was my favorite one of the whole bunch.

Vinnie Velvet
07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
So he was canadien? His accent was a very interesting one...sounded irish or something.

RIP

Scottish, actually.

When they asked him to play the "engineer" on the Starship Enterprise, Doohan thought he should be a Scotsman.

Hence, the scottish accent.

Golden AWe
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Yesss...I should've known, as I have a red beard myself.

Seshmeister
07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
Scottish, actually.

When they asked him to play the "engineer" on the Starship Enterprise, Doohan thought he should be a Scotsman.

Hence, the scottish accent.

It was meant to be Scottish anyway...:)

I've never heard a Scotsman talk like that but never mind.

His biggest legacy is that people all over the world think that's what we sound like.:)

Cheers!

:gulp:

Golden AWe
07-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

His biggest legacy is that people all over the world think that's what we sound like.:)

Cheers!

I'm not an expert of this but he did have a good pronounciation of "r", whoever he tried to be...

Hey Sesh, how typical is Alex Ferguson's scotch? He's not the easiest one to understand, at least in the beginning...

UGS
07-20-2005, 02:05 PM
WWII veteran too. . .Stormed Juno beach in Normandy on D-Day

FORD
07-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by UGS
WWII veteran too. . .Stormed Juno beach in Normandy on D-Day

So the Klingons were partnered with the Nazis?

ALinChainz
07-20-2005, 02:37 PM
He gave her all she got, Captain.

R.I.P.

Golden AWe
07-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by FORD
So the Klingons were partnered with the Nazis?

actually...

http://www.jrbooksonline.com/images/spock%20as%20nazi.jpg

Bill Lumbergh
07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
My fave episode is the one where Scotty blows the Klingon commander for dylithium crystals...........

Hardrock69
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
LMFAO!!!!

I met him on a couple of occasions. He was a nice guy....

He will be missed.....but then, old TV stars never die...they just go into syndication....

Golden AWe
07-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Everybody who's a fan of The Original Star Trek should post in this thread: http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22800

Seshmeister
07-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe
I'm not an expert of this but he did have a good pronounciation of "r", whoever he tried to be...

Hey Sesh, how typical is Alex Ferguson's scotch? He's not the easiest one to understand, at least in the beginning...

To be fair I've heard worse attempts.

Scotch is a drink. Scots or Scottish is the term.

Alex Ferguson is quite typical west coast but he has a bit of a lisp so his r's sound like w's. He says I'm pwoud rather than I'm proud.

I don't mind him but a lot of English people seem to hate his guts.

Cheers!

Phil theStalker
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Warham
I just heard on FOX News that Scotty from Star Trek died. James Doohan.

Sad day for Trekkies. I'm sure they'll all speak Klingon today in honor of him.
Oh James, why, why, why, why, whyyyyyyyy?!!

Why didn't G-d take mmmee?

Why couldn't tit have been MMMEEEEEEEEE?!

WHY?

i hope da insurance companies take dis seriously..

:spank:

WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY?
Why, Why, Why, Why, Why, Why?
W-WHY, WHY, WHY, W-WHY, WHY, WAH-WAH-WHY?

Phil theStalker
07-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
To boldly go where everybody's gotta go sooner or later...

T2o baldly Go Where No Cuntmedian Has Neva-eva Gone Bef4ore..

:spank:

TO BALDLY GO F4ORTH
SOBER

thome
07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
He's not dead...his particles are being kept in an eternal transporter-loop...dont you guts watch TV?

Hey, was that a Voyager episode?
next gen dysons sphere episode?

Seshmeister
07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by thome
next gen dysons sphere episode?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/fun_stuff/certificates/nerd.gif

Dr. Love
07-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Qa'pla :(

BenJammin
07-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Cheers!

Yeah, the f*cker had me fooled the whole time! I didn't know he was a canuck until this story of his passing.

Seshmeister
07-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Because it's an old country even with a population of 5 million we probably have as many accents white US folk.

Trainspotting is pretty typical of how we speak, although junkies in real life would be a bit rougher.

EbDawson
07-21-2005, 02:09 AM

Cheers!

You mean you don't sound like him or Groundskeeper Willie? :D

EbDawson
07-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Scotty ruled, man! RIP James. You'll be missed.

Soul Reaper
07-25-2005, 10:09 AM
RIP James Doohan

Eddie Izzard on Star Trek (on his Unrepeatable video):

Scotty- the actor playing Scotty, he must have hated the scripts! Every week, the same sort of script-thing. “Oh, not again! Not the same script, for fuck’s sake! ‘No, Captain. I cannot do that, Captain. I have no ability to do that, Captain. What speed you wish for, Captain? No, I cannot provide that at this time. No, you’ll never guess; it’s the engine. No, it’s the carburetor that’s gone this time. No way, who’s there? The cat’s eaten the Delethian Crystals, you see, and it’s coughing up fur balls, and…” He could never do anything! There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need to go back to 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?”

Soul Reaper
07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
have you read this...

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/12988.html