PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kennedy's influence goes globel: Aussie Politicians Accused of Drunkenness

lucky wilbury
03-12-2004, 01:31 AM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-aus/2004/mar/10/031002143.html

Aussie Politicians Accused of Drunkenness

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Instead of engaging in sober debate, politicians in Australia's oldest legislature have been accused of drinking too much and drafting laws with slurred speech and red noses.

Lee Rhiannon of the minority Greens Party says some members of the New South Wales state Parliament are obviously under the influence of alcohol when they return to its debating chamber after taking breaks.

"After dinner ... things get a bit raucous," The Sydney Morning Herald Wednesday quoted as Rhiannon saying.

The august institution, set up in Sydney in 1822, has two restaurants and a bar as well as it own liquor store.

"People have very poor views of politicians," said Rhiannon who wants authorities given the power to expel drunken legislators from the state parliament until they sober up.

"Parliamentary debates require attention to detail and clarity of thought," she said. "The use of alcohol and drugs can impair their ability to consider legislation."

Some politicians have admitted they had drinking problems.

For instance, in the national Parliament in the capital Canberra, Andrew Bartlett - who heads the minority Australian Democrats party - pledged never to touch alcohol again after he was accused of manhandling a woman lawmaker at a Christmas party last year.

Igosplut
03-12-2004, 06:34 AM
I've posted this soundbite before, But I'll do it again because I think its just too fuckin funny....

Igosplut
03-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Haveta try that again.....

John Ashcroft
03-12-2004, 08:18 AM
That's funny! You hear old uncle Teddy and his incoherent rants on Kerry's campaign trail? Oh my God it's funny! I can't believe someone hasn't taken the dumb old drunk aside and had a talk. I mean, the guy can't even make a single point! Just babbling and rambling from one supposed point to the next. No pauses, no breaks, some words are actual english words, some not...

What a spokesman Kerry's got himself!

BITEYOASS
03-12-2004, 09:25 AM
What's really dumb are the fags in Massachusetts who keep voting for this bum!

BITEYOASS
03-12-2004, 09:25 AM
No wonder the Red Sox keep losing! LOL

lucky wilbury
03-12-2004, 01:38 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/jfkjr/stories/emk092990a.htm

Why Ted Kennedy Can't Stand Still

Yet Kennedy also has a knack for embarrassing himself in public. He was: caught in flagrante delicto with a female luncheon companion on the floor of La Brasserie restaurant in 1987; photographed last summer atop a comely brunette on a boat in St-Tropez; observed with Dodd in 1985 as they smashed each other's autographed pictures in La Colline restaurant on Capitol Hill; involved in a barroom scuffle last winter at 2 a.m. with a heckler in Manhattan. Queries about the senator's behavior have become so commonplace that one Kennedy press secretary reportedly kept a card on his desk with a standard response: "It is our policy never to comment on this endless gossip and speculation."

Without question, Kennedy likes to drink. During a two-hour stretch on a Lufthansa flight from Boston to West Germany in November, he downed two drinks of Scotch, two of vodka and, with dinner, three glasses of red wine. After three hours of sleep, the senator appeared sharp and refreshed upon arriving in Frankfurt at dawn, and subsequently put in a full day of work. He also is disciplined enough to stop drinking during his annual winter diet; last year, for example, he lost 50 pounds in 49 days, imbibing little more than a weight-loss concoction he refers to as "chocolate goop."

John Ashcroft
03-12-2004, 02:40 PM
"Chocolate goop spiked with Crown" that is...