PDA

View Full Version : Aikman, Irvin, Smith going in Ring of Honor together

ALinChainz
07-20-2005, 11:12 PM
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

July 20, 2005

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Of all the accolades and honors that Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith earned throughout their careers with the Dallas Cowboys, their favorite was something simple: their shared nickname, ``The Triplets.''

While the phrase linked them in the minds of others, the teammates really were as tight as brothers. Each inspired, cajoled and teased the best out of the other two and their entire team was better off for it. Dallas went from 1-15 the year before they became a threesome to Super Bowl champions in their third, fourth and sixth years together.

Now that all three are retired, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has found another way to get the trio back together, announcing Wednesday that on Sept. 19 they'll become the 13th, 14th and 15th recipients of the club's Ring of Honor.

``Honestly,'' a teary-eyed Irvin said, ``this is the best way.''

Aikman, Irvin and Smith shared their memories for more than an hour in a news conference at Texas Stadium. The franchise's five Super Bowl trophies gleamed on a table in front of them and the field was visible behind them; from the right angle, banners commemorating the three Super Bowls they won were flapping high over their heads.

Aikman recalled that the last time he was in this setting was his retirement press conference and he mentioned then how much he loved being called ``The Triplets.''

``So when Jerry called me up and said we want you to go into the Ring of Honor and we've got a couple of special people we've got to go in with you named Michael Irvin and Emmitt Smith, to me it was really the way that it should be,'' Aikman said.

``We're so connected,'' added Smith.

Irvin mocked the current ``Triplets'' in Indianapolis, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison and Edgerrin James.

``We are the Triplets because we won three Super Bowls,'' Irvin said. ``I need some championships in there somewhere!''

As fitting as their shared tribute is the timing of their ceremony: a Monday night game against their top division rival, the Washington Redskins.

``The Redskins are going to hate it. They better hate it because I don't care much for them,'' Smith said, smiling wide. ``Jerry is going to showboat in front of them.''

The trio arrived separately over three straight summers, 1988-90, each a first-round pick. Irvin, drafted by Tex Schramm and Tom Landry, got hurt his rookie year and the team went 3-13, so bad that Dallas got the next No. 1 overall pick. Jones arrived in time to choose Aikman, but the Cowboys went 1-15.

Then Smith arrived -- as did new offensive coordinator Norv Turner, something Aikman and Smith emphasized -- and things began to change. Mixing up this terrific run-pass combination, Dallas made the playoffs in the Triplets' second season together, 1991, and became champions following the '92, '93 and '95 seasons.

``People had to prepare for all three of us,'' Smith said. ``You could take one of us lightly if you want to, but the other two are going to hurt you pretty bad.''

Jones said Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer once told him that everyone in the league could read Dallas' hand signals and know whether they were running or passing, and to which side -- but they were so good, that defenses still couldn't stop them.

Over their 10 seasons together, the Cowboys went 101-59, a .631 winning percentage, with six division titles and eight playoff appearances. Dallas is 31-49 in the five seasons since, losing its only playoff game.

``If I had any prayers, it would be to put some contracts in front of each one of these guys and relive what they brought the Dallas Cowboys,'' Jones said.

Injuries forced Irvin to retire after the '99 season, then Aikman a year later, both having spent their entire careers with the Cowboys' star on their helmets. Smith remained through 2002, then spent the past two seasons in Arizona.

Smith's departure from the Cowboys was a bit messy, but the NFL's career rushing leader reaffirmed his Dallas ties during a retirement news conference in February and later signed a ceremonial one-day contract so he could go out as a Cowboy. He opened his remarks Wednesday by saying, ``It's great to be back amongst the family.''

``A lot of the things I've done on the football field could not have been done without the throwing arm of Troy Aikman and the receiving arms and legs of Michael Irvin,'' he said.

Jones said the chance to put all three players into the Ring together was too great of an opportunity to pass up. He added that it doesn't mean the Ring will be closed to predecessors such as Drew Pearson, Harvey Martin, Ed ``Too Tall'' Jones and Charlie Waters.

Roger Staubach, one of three Ring members at the news conference, said he still expects some of his former teammates to get their due. He pointed out that the new stadium the team is building will be awfully big.

``There's room for them,'' he said. ``It's not the beginning of the end for the old regime.''

Seven of the previous 12 Ring members already are Hall of Famers. Irvin came up short in his first election earlier this year, but will be up for consideration again in February, when Aikman will be on the ballot for the first time. Smith won't be eligible until 2010 because of the five-year waiting period after retirement.

POJO_Risin
07-20-2005, 11:54 PM
I hate all three of those fuckers...

but they all deserve it...and should go in together...

Redballjets88
07-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I hate all three of those fuckers...

what ya mean? they were the best trio ever...jealous? did they beat up on ur favorite teams too much?

EbDawson
07-21-2005, 03:04 AM
Neat, they deserve it but it would be nice to see some of the older Cowboys get in too. The Rayfield Wrights, Randy Whites etc. Hell does Drew Pearson even have a star?

Bob_R
07-21-2005, 10:43 AM
They all deserve it. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't know football.

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by EbDawson
Neat, they deserve it but it would be nice to see some of the older Cowboys get in too. The Rayfield Wrights, Randy Whites etc. Hell does Drew Pearson even have a star?

100% Agree.

There should be more in the Ring certainly.

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
what ya mean? they were the best trio ever...jealous? did they beat up on ur favorite teams too much?

Yeah ... jealous ... that's it.

:rolleyes:

VonHalen
07-21-2005, 04:13 PM
how far would dallas go if they had barry sanders instead of emmitt smith

Mama's Fool
07-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Bring your hookers and blow to the game! Irvin wouldn't want it any other way!

Warham
07-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I think Bradshaw, Harris and Swann or Stallworth would give those three a run for their money.

Also, Montana, Rice and Craig come to mind. Actually, I'd say this group is the best threesome ever. Montana and Rice are the best ever at their position and Roger Craig was the first running back to have 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season, back in '85.

VonHalen
07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
hmm

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 06:21 PM
AIKMAN E.SMITH IRVIN

THE BEST TRIO EVER PERIOD

COWBOYS RULE

Fairwrning
07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
has or did Jay Novachek make the ring???
THAT guy deserves a spot IMO...

Warham
07-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Aikman's in the top 10 quarterbacks, on the lower end.

Smith is one of the top five running backs, but not #1, #2 or #3.

Irvin is in the top 20 wide receivers somewheres, but probably not top ten.

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
aikman was the most acurate quarterback
e.smith, is the greatest of all time
irvin could snort a line, get up and catch a td

Warham
07-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Emmitt Smith is not better than Walter Payton or Jim Brown. He might be equal to Sanders. I don't care if he broke that record. He had to play about two more years than Payton did to get it.

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 06:39 PM
yea but thats durabilty

emmit is the rushing king bro

Warham
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Durability? That's not really that important, unless you only played a few seasons. Gale Sayers is considered one of THE best, and played about six years.

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Durability? That's not really that important, unless you only played a few seasons. Gale Sayers is considered one of THE best, and played about six years.

what i mean by that is, smith could carry the the ball many times in a game
without injury

emiit is the best, well thats what the numbers say anyway

Warham
07-21-2005, 07:31 PM
What's his yards per carry? 4.0?

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 07:38 PM
i think 4.4

Bill Lumbergh
07-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Will Irvin do some lines on the field at the ceremony in tribute to the glory days?

tjvhou812
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by fairwrning
THAT guy deserves a spot IMO...

Jay Novachek, not yet but your right, he does deserve it

ALinChainz
07-21-2005, 11:14 PM
I think Novacek deserves a spot and will get one eventually.

Both Warham and tj were close ... 4.2 yrds per carry.

rustoffa
07-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
100% Agree.

There should be more in the Ring certainly.

Randy White isn't in it? I'm asking because I've never heard of this ring. Is Bob Fucking Lilly in it?

In a perfect world, Ervin will bust out a HURRICANE zoot suit that makes Emmitt's trophy look worse than Galen Hall's bald head.

Unfuckingbelievable.

ALinChainz
07-22-2005, 12:05 AM
There are a lot of old Cowboy greats that aren't.

Here is the list prior to the Triplets:

# Name Position Years

14 Don Perkins QB 1961-1968

74 Bob Lilly DT 1961-1972

17 Don Meredith QB 1960-1968

44 Chuck Howley QB 1961-1972

55 Lee Roy Jordan LB 1963-1976

20 Mel Renfro DB 1964-1976

12 Roger Staubach QB 1964-1979

41 Charlie Waters DB 1964-1974

43 Cliff Harris DB 1969-1980

72 Ed "Too Tall" Jones DE 1974-1988

54 Randy White DT 1974-1986

HC Tom Landry Coach 1960-1989

rustoffa
07-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Unbelievable.

MAX
07-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I don't give a fuck what anybody thinks but I still think The Cowboys of the 90's were highly overrated. Jones just had the $$$ at the right time when there weren't too many stellar teams in the pool. I'm not ripping on Smith or Aikman as athletes but they had a nice supporting cast at the perfect time. They ain't a classic team nor a fucking "dynasty" in my book.

EbDawson
07-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
There are a lot of old Cowboy greats that aren't.

Here is the list prior to the Triplets:

# Name Position Years

14 Don Perkins QB 1961-1968

74 Bob Lilly DT 1961-1972

17 Don Meredith QB 1960-1968

44 Chuck Howley QB 1961-1972

55 Lee Roy Jordan LB 1963-1976

20 Mel Renfro DB 1964-1976

12 Roger Staubach QB 1964-1979

41 Charlie Waters DB 1964-1974

43 Cliff Harris DB 1969-1980

72 Ed "Too Tall" Jones DE 1974-1988

54 Randy White DT 1974-1986

HC Tom Landry Coach 1960-1989

Bob Hayes got put in a couple of years ago, right before he died.

EbDawson
07-22-2005, 07:11 AM
Also Waters, Harris, Too Tall AREN'T in it. But Tex Schramn is.

Bob_R
07-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by MAX
I don't give a fuck what anybody thinks but I still think The Cowboys of the 90's were highly overrated. Jones just had the $$$ at the right time when there weren't too many stellar teams in the pool. I'm not ripping on Smith or Aikman as athletes but they had a nice supporting cast at the perfect time. They ain't a classic team nor a fucking "dynasty" in my book.

3 Super Bowls in 4 years and it would have been 4 in a row if Jones hadn't canned Johnson. And, that's not a dynasty my friend. :confused:

MAX
07-22-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
3 Super Bowls in 4 years and it would have been 4 in a row if Jones hadn't canned Johnson. And, that's not a dynasty my friend. :confused:

Eh, I'm sorry buddy but I was just never impressed watching them. Tis' prolly just cos I've always hated The Cowboys. I just think Jones' teams were the blueprint for all of the free agency and shit that the league now has.

tjvhou812
07-22-2005, 06:01 PM
the cowboys of the 90's is probally the greatest team of all time

Bob_R
07-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812

I agree.

BrownSound1
07-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Ring of Honor inductees are as follows: (Ring of Honor is at Texas Stadium)

Tony Dorsett
Cliff Harris
Bob Hayes
Chuck Howley
Lee Roy Jordan
Tom Landry
Bob Lily
Don Meredith
Don Perkins
Mel Renfro
Tex Schramm
Roger Staubach
Randy White
Rayfield Wright

That's straight from http://www.dallascowboys.com

Hall of Fame inductees are as follows:

Tony Dorsett
Tom Landry
Bob Lily
Mel Renfro
Tex Schramm
Roger Staubach
Randy White

BrownSound1
07-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Eh, I'm sorry buddy but I was just never impressed watching them. Tis' prolly just cos I've always hated The Cowboys. I just think Jones' teams were the blueprint for all of the free agency and shit that the league now has.

Actually you have Joe Namath and his then outrageous contract to thank for the start of all of this shit.

mewisemagic
07-23-2005, 02:21 AM
How About Daryl Johnston Or Bill Bates,Talk About Workhorses?

MAX
07-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Actually you have Joe Namath and his then outrageous contract to thank for the start of all of this shit.

Shit man, my only recollection of watching Namath play football was when he was about finished whilst wearing a Los Angeles Rams uniform. lol. I do remember his panty hose ad and a commercial he did with Farrah Fawcett. What was his contract? :confused:

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2005, 07:39 PM

LOL, yeah that's not a bias opinion, coming from a 17 year old dude from Dallas.... ;)

Lemme give ya a history lesson Junior.... ;)

Way before your parents even thought about conceiving you, the trio of Bradshaw, Harris, and Swann (or even substitute Stallworth) beat up on your Cowboys in TWO Super Bowls.....

No, not the Aikman/Smith/Irvin Cowboys, but just as good, if not better, i.e. Staubach/Dorsett/Pearson

It's a valid arguement, no doubt about it...

But I'll put those 4 Super Bowls in 6 years against anyone....

The most disappointing thing about that timeframe was their BEST team, in '76-77, "only" made it to the AFC Championship, losing to the Raiders.... Both Harris and Bleier were out due to injuries....

Redballjets88
07-24-2005, 01:35 AM
ok i knew that...on of those superbowls dallas should have won but the tight end dropped a pass in the endzone. staubach is better than aikman in my opinion but dorsett and pearson arent as good as smith and irvin. harris isnt a top 10 rb. swann isnt even in the HOF and bradshaw was alright if not for the 3 superbowls he wasnt that great.
overall the cowboys are the the greatest franchise in NFL history because their 5 championships came throughout the years with 2 different teams instead of with one pretty much like all the others...and that's why they are AMERICAS TEAM

another thing that makes me mad is people saying the patriots of today can beat the 90's cowboys....i dont care what anyone says the Patriots are the worst of the dynasties.

Matt White
07-24-2005, 02:49 AM
The smartest thing Smith ever said?

The day he broke the rushing record.."If BARRY SANDERS was still playing...Y'All wouldn't be talkin' to me."

Redballjets88
07-24-2005, 03:04 AM
he didnt say that...he said it like 2 months prior and it was "if barry was still playing he would be at 20k or more"

Redballjets88
07-24-2005, 03:08 AM
the day he got the record he was too busy crying and getting a lambougini lol
w/e its all the same to me in the long run

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 01:10 PM
ok i knew that...on of those superbowls dallas should have won but the tight end dropped a pass in the endzone. staubach is better than aikman in my opinion but dorsett and pearson arent as good as smith and irvin. harris isnt a top 10 rb. swann isnt even in the HOF and bradshaw was alright if not for the 3 superbowls he wasnt that great.
overall the cowboys are the the greatest franchise in NFL history because their 5 championships came throughout the years with 2 different teams instead of with one pretty much like all the others...and that's why they are AMERICAS TEAM

another thing that makes me mad is people saying the patriots of today can beat the 90's cowboys....i dont care what anyone says the Patriots are the worst of the dynasties.

Some discrepancies there buddy...

If Jackie Smith catches the ball, they would have only TIED the game, to say they would have won the game is a stretch...

Emmitt Smith had the advantage of 15 years (versus only 12 for Dorsett) to pad his stats... If you look at career yardage, Dorsett averaged 4.3 per rush, Smith only 4.2....

Drew Pearson was an outstanding WR, he just didn't throw himself in front of the camera (and the coke mirror) like Irvin did...

Lynn Swann is MOST DEFINITELY is in the Hall of Fame....

Bradshaw, much like Staubach, QB'd in the NFL during the time when running the ball was the preferred method... The game was not as pass-happy as it is now....

And he QB'd 4 Super Bowl victories....

Only Cowboy fans call the Cowboys America's team.... Check around, you'll see what I mean....

Fairwrning
07-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Here is the thing about the Cowboys of the 90's..at least the Aikman years...no matter who they were playing...ANY TEAM THEY WERE PLAYING......ya knew Dallas was gonna win...ya knew it..the playoffs and Super Bowls were just a formallity..NEVER did that team walk on the field and left you wondering who was gonna win!!!

tjvhou812
07-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Here is the thing about the Cowboys of the 90's..at least the Aikman years...no matter who they were playing...ANY TEAM THEY WERE PLAYING......ya knew Dallas was gonna win...ya knew it..the playoffs and Super Bowls were just a formallity..NEVER did that team walk on the field and left you wondering who was gonna win!!!

you said it to a t bro

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Are you two guys originally from Virginia and Rhode Island, and Cowboy fans ??

Little bit of fair-weathered fandrum, don't ya think ??

[[ And no, I'm not from Va Beach and a Steeler fan, born and raised in Northwestern PA.....]]

Fairwrning
07-24-2005, 09:36 PM
yes .born here in Virginia...(spent a year in tenn)....dude..did you honestly think Pittsburgh was gonna beat the boys...seriously...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-24-2005, 10:00 PM
In SB XXX ??

Well, they were driving for the winning TD before O'Donnell threw that great pass to Larry Brown...

That sure as hell was pretty damn close to beating them....

Fairwrning
07-24-2005, 10:39 PM
not what i asked bro..did you have a doubt that Dallas was gonna win...I didnt..it was just a matter of time..Pitt. hung in there..but personally..i never had a doubt...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Did I have a doubt ??

Hell yeah, I had a doubt....

They got outplayed the entire 2nd half....

tjvhou812
07-26-2005, 09:20 PM
yes .born here in Virginia...(spent a year in tenn)....dude..did you honestly think Pittsburgh was gonna beat the boys...seriously...

hellz no

Va Beach VH Fan
07-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Must be a massive Cowboy fanbase in Rhode Island....

Or is that only when they were winning Super Bowls.... ;)

tjvhou812
07-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Must be a massive Cowboy fanbase in Rhode Island....

Or is that only when they were winning Super Bowls.... ;)

to tell ya the truth, their is a pretty big cowboy fan base out here...

and if it was becuase of the super bowls

dont ya think i would be a pats fan, like most of the people here

VHdamaco
07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
best game i ever saw aikman play was the one were lavar arrington ENDED HIS CAREER...

i would say congratulations, but it's against my moral code being a skins fan and all...

and no, americas team the boys be not, i'd give that title to the steelers dynasty of the 70s, hard working blue collar attitude. i wish i could've been alive to see those bowls and the immaculate reception...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by VHdamaco
best game i ever saw aikman play was the one were lavar arrington ENDED HIS CAREER...

Dude, were you AT this game ??

So was I !!!

I was in Dallas for a conference, and we got the concierge to grab us some tix....

You're right, we saw the end of Aikman....

Tell ya what else, I saw one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen at that game...

Mestiza, long black hair down to her ass, cowboy hat, TIGHT jeans faded on the ass checks...

Stunning, just a gorgeous woman...

And she knew it.... ;)

VHdamaco
07-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Dude, were you AT this game ??

So was I !!!

I was in Dallas for a conference, and we got the concierge to grab us some tix....

You're right, we saw the end of Aikman....

Tell ya what else, I saw one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen at that game...

Mestiza, long black hair down to her ass, cowboy hat, TIGHT jeans faded on the ass checks...

Stunning, just a gorgeous woman...

And she knew it.... ;)

unfortunately, i wasn't at the game...

but i was loving everytime fox replayed the hit on the broadcast and then sportscenter that night...

probably would;ve given all that up for a glimpse of the woman you speak of though...

sounds like she would get it six ways from sunday...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
probably would;ve given all that up for a glimpse of the woman you speak of though...

sounds like she would get it six ways from sunday...

Don't I wish....

Gotta give Texas props... First time I'd ever been there, and just beautiful women all around the place....

tjvhou812
07-28-2005, 08:43 PM

i would say congratulations, but it's against my moral code being a skins fan and all...

and no, americas team the boys be not, i'd give that title to the steelers dynasty of the 70s, hard working blue collar attitude. i wish i could've been alive to see those bowls and the immaculate reception...

some of the best games i ever saw, was when aikman owned the redskins through out the 90's

VHdamaco
07-28-2005, 11:29 PM
some of the best games i ever saw, was when aikman owned the redskins through out the 90's

rhode island and the cowboys...

sounds like a combination that screams homosexualism...

mewisemagic
07-30-2005, 11:14 AM
THAT guy deserves a spot IMO... Agreed,So does Daryl Johnston and Bill Bates..

tjvhou812
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mewisemagic
Agreed,So does Daryl Johnston and Bill Bates..

the moose, the best blocking full back to play the game