PDA

View Full Version : Oh Gawd I Am Laffing My Fucking Ass Off!!!!

Hardrock69
07-21-2005, 02:42 PM
I got this from the following blogsite:

http://www.vintagetips.com/

Here's the back story...

A friend of mine rents PA systems for clubs and concerts. He got a call from a friend of his who was an amateur musician whose day job was working in a school that trains "special needs" students in life and work skills. This guy was organizing a music program with the kids, and wanted to know if my friend would be willing to provide the PA system. My friend asked, "What kind of program is it?" The guy replied that it was a mongoloid choir performing a tribute to the Beatles.

I don't have to tell you that my friend did the job for free, and that he ran a tape of the show. You should be able to know that without me telling you.

In any case, the guy organizing the show hired local musicians to provide backup... not just the four pieces corresponding to John, Paul, George and Ringo, but a horn section too. There was very little time for rehearsal, but everyone knew the music, so it was easy for everyone to just wing it.

The highlight of the performance was a soloist who sang Paul McCartney's signature tune, Yesterday. But that wasn't exactly how he sang it... When he sang it, it sounded more like "Yeddaday... Aw by tubble hadn't gone away. Dow I nee a door to hear to say. Oh I bewee in yed-tuh-day".

The show was a big hit and the kids all had a great time. In fact, it was such a success that the next year, they did another tribute show... A Tribute to Chicago. Yep! You guessed it, the same soloist sang "Taddaday id da pok, I tink it wud da fowth of joo-lye." Forget that William Hung guy on American Idol. This is the real deal.

My friend re-enacted Yeddaday for me and told me about the tapes he had of these shows buried in a box somewhere. I begged and pleaded for a copy. He had recorded them on a Beta HiFi deck, but couldn't find the tapes. They'd been swallowed up in the clutter that accumulates after a few years. Over a decade passed, and "The mongoloid choir sings A Tribute To The Beatles" became legendary among my circle of friends. None of us had ever heard it, but we could all sing Yeddaday just like the kid on the long lost tape.

Well, a couple of days ago I went to visit my buddy and he had a big grin on his face. He said, "I have a present for you, and you're REALLY gonna like it!" He handed me a CDR with "Spring Sing / June 4th, 1985 / A Tribute To The Beatles" written on it. I ran home with it, ripped Yeddaday and now I am posting it here for you to download.

This page may not be here forever, so make sure you put the MP3 in a safe place. Otherwise for the next ten years, you'll be doing Yeddaday impressions for your friends and talking about that MP3 that you used to have, but just can't seem to find any more...

Goo-Goo-Go-Joob!

Yeddaday (http://www.vintageip.com/vintagetips/media/yeddaday.mp3)

There is also a cool old (1970) independent film from the UCLA Film Archives about some goober whose wife buys him a 4-track reel-to-reel tape recorder for Christmas....the dude now has his own home studio....

The direct link to the film is here (15Mb Quicktime file):

Old Skool Home Stoo-dio (http://www.vintageip.com/vintagetips/media/multiple.mp4)