PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame PROVEN to cause Cancer & Leukemia?

Hardrock69
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Hell and anything else for that matter....

Sweetener 'linked' to leukaemias

Fresh doubts about the safety of an artificial sweetener have been raised by Italian scientists who have linked its use to leukaemias in rodents.

Aspartame is 200 times sweeter than sugar and is used throughout the world in low-calorie drinks and foods.

Regulators say existing studies show it is safe, but will look at the European Journal of Clinical Oncology study.

But they said it was unlikely that the sweetener was harmful to humans to the same extent as in rats.

If a risk to humans does exist, it will almost certainly be very small
Dr Elaine Vickers of Cancer Research UK

Concerns have been raised about the aspartame in the past, but an analysis of 500 papers by UK regulators in 2002 concluded there was no threat to consumers.

The Food Standards Agency said: "The European Food Safety Authority intends to undertake an urgent assessment of this study to establish whether there are any implications for human health.

"We will study EFSA's opinion carefully and consider what, if any, action may be required."

Dr Elaine Vickers, cancer information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: "If a risk to humans does exist, it will almost certainly be very small.

"However, we welcome the news that the EFSA will undertake an urgent assessment of this work."

The study

Dr Morando Soffritti and colleagues at the Cancer Research Centre in Bologna fed eight-week-old rats varying concentrations of aspartame.

Compared with control rats given no sweetener, many of the female rats in the experiment developed lymphomas or leukaemias - the risk increasing with the dose of aspartame.

The researchers say their study raises concerns about the levels of aspartame to which humans can be exposed and, therefore, "urgent re-examination" of aspartame's safety is needed, "especially to protect children".

The existing European Food Safety Authority safety assessment for aspartame led to the setting of an Acceptable Daily Intake, or ADI.

This is an estimate of the amount of an additive that could be routinely consumed every day over a lifetime with no appreciable health risk.

'Safe' intake

Aspartame's ADI is set at 40 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. This is equivalent to 2,800 milligrams for an average British adult.

For an average three-year-old child the amount is of the order of 600 milligrams.

An adult would have to consume 14 cans of a sugar-free drink every day before reaching the ADI, assuming the sweetener was used in the drink at the maximum permitted level.

In practice, most drinks use aspartame in combination with other sweeteners so that the level is considerably lower, says the FSA.

Previous work by the former Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and the Department of Health showed that aspartame intakes were considerably below the recommended maximum level, even among children and diabetics who consume large quantities of sugar-free drinks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4683371.stm

FORD
07-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Guess who signed the patent for Nutra-Sweet on behalf of Searle Inc.....

http://www.jwz.org/images/mdf281667.jpg

That's reason enough for me not to touch the shit. Thank God for Diet Coke w/ Splenda. And I drink that very seldom.

Hardrock69
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
It figures....that goddamnable fuck...

Mr. G
07-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Yea it seems everyone is jumping to Splenda. It is supposed to be better for you, depending on who you talk to, will have wait and see. Diet Coke tastes better with Spenda, does that count?

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 04:14 AM
the good Lord made sugar....

that's good enough for me.

moderation, people!!!

RuzDNailz
07-23-2005, 04:46 AM
You know that shitty aftertaste you get with sweetener? Those are the
chemicals that you put in your body. Heck, aspartame is also a
neurotoxin which affects your brain. I feel terrible for those who are
diabetic. Sugar is okay as long as you take it in moderation. That's
the key word for all life's pleasures. Why won't I drink coke C2? Because it's half sugar and sweetener. It's essentially regular coke and
diet coke mixed half and half. At least Pepsi Edge doesn't have aspartame.

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
You know that shitty aftertaste you get with sweetener? Those are the
chemicals that you put in your body. Heck, aspartame is also a
neurotoxin which affects your brain. I feel terrible for those who are
diabetic. Sugar is okay as long as you take it in moderation.

yez, ruz!

everything in moderation, including moderation! hehe.

here, we stick to the 3 best drinks.

beer, tea, and water. :)

FORD
07-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
the good Lord made sugar....

that's good enough for me.

moderation, people!!!

But you probably have actual sugar in your Coke down there, right?

I know most of the world still does.

Unfortunately here in the US, it's High Fructose Corn Syrup, a highly refined carbohydrate. Since there's nothing for the body to break down in processing, it's immediately stored in the cells. This is exactly why obesity and diabetes have increased so much in the US in the last two decades. HFCS wasintroduced into soft drinks beginning in the late 70's, and by the early 80's all the major companies were using it.

But as far as I know, it's still cane sugar in most of the rest of the world.

As far as moderation goes, that makes perfect sense. But it helps not to be drinking poison in the first place.

ashstralia
07-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
But you probably have actual sugar in your Coke down there, right?

yep.

and my town's main primary industries are sugar, bananas, and beef.

so it means a lot to us.

can you brew beer without sugar?

i think not.

FORD
07-24-2005, 02:16 AM

can you brew beer without sugar?

i think not.

Nope. And I'll drink to that :gulp:

RuzDNailz
07-24-2005, 02:30 AM
yez, ruz!

everything in moderation, including moderation! hehe.

here, we stick to the 3 best drinks.

beer, tea, and water. :)

Heck, who CAN'T live without those 3? Tea is great for you as is
water, but beer can be a necessity! What's it like in Australia? I have
relatives who live there.

ashstralia
07-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by RuzDNailz
Heck, who CAN'T live without those 3? Tea is great for you as is
water, but beer can be a necessity! What's it like in Australia? I have
relatives who live there.

plenty of good beers, mate.

just depends on what you like.

i prefer the bitter lager styles....

here's 5 bro!

Hardrock69
07-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Damn, I thought everyone knew that beer is the national drink down under!

I was a Foster's oil can fanatic for several years during the 80s...

FORD
07-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Damn, I thought everyone knew that beer is the national drink down under!

I was a Foster's oil can fanatic for several years during the 80s...

Foster's used to be a decent beer back in the 80's. When Labatt's took it over, they fucked it up bigtime.

Hardrock69
07-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Damn...that sucks....

One thing that still (in my mind) has the quality it should is GUINNESS!!!

Though I am not a beer fanatic, my preference runs towards anything from Germany that says on the laebel shit like "Brewed since 1429". I can usually be guaranteed if there is something like that on the label, one bottle will get me fucked up.

Something else I find strange....I take one drink of beer, I feel the buzz IMMEDIATELY...unlike hard liquor which takes awhile for me to feel the effect....