PDA

View Full Version : Last of WWII Comanche Code Talkers Dies

FORD
07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Last of WWII Comanche Code Talkers Dies

Thu Jul 21, 1:32 PM ET

Charles Chibitty, the last survivor of the Comanche code talkers who used their native language to transmit messages for the Allies in Europe during World War II, has died. He was 83.

Chibitty, who had been residing at a Tulsa nursing home, died Wednesday, said Cathy Flynn, administrative assistant in the Comanche Nation tribal chairman's office.

The group of Comanche Indians from the Lawton area were selected for special duty in the U.S. Army to provide the Allies with a language that the Germans could not decipher. Like the larger group of Navajo Indians who performed a similar service in the Pacific theater, the Comanches were dubbed "code talkers."

"It's strange, but growing up as a child I was forbidden to speak my native language at school," Chibitty said in 2002. "Later my country asked me to. My language helped win the war and that makes me very proud. Very proud. "

In a 1998 story for The Oklahoman, Chibitty recalled being at Normandy on D-Day, and said someone once asked him what he was afraid of most and if he feared dying.

"No. That was something we had already accepted," he said.

"But we landed in deeper water than anticipated. A lot of boys drowned. That's what I was afraid of."

"I wonder what the hell Hitler thought when he heard those strange voices," he once told a gathering.

Chibitty was born Nov. 20, 1921, near Medicine Park and attended high school at Haskell Indian School in Lawrence, Kan. He enlisted in 1941.

In 1999, Chibitty received the Knowlton Award, which recognizes individuals for outstanding intelligence work, during a ceremony at the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes.

"We could never do it again," Chibitty told Oklahoma Today. "It's all electronic and video in war now."

Keeyth
07-21-2005, 05:48 PM
That's a bummer. I saw the movie Wind Talkers and that was pretty cool what they did.

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
God bless...

And the Great Spirit too.

FORD
07-21-2005, 07:58 PM
I hope he didn't have a horse (for the horse's sake)

In Comanche tradition, it was common for a warrior's horse to be buried with him, so they could enter the Spirit World together.

http://www.sacredpath.org/image/native/medwheel.gif

Ally_Kat
07-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Don't know if it would be something against their tradition, but perhaps he did have a horse back in the day and had it cremated so he could be buried with it? We did something similar with my one grandfather and his dog.

FORD
07-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Don't know if it would be something against their tradition, but perhaps he did have a horse back in the day and had it cremated so he could be buried with it? We did something similar with my one grandfather and his dog.

Only problem with that theory would be that Native peoples believe that all living things have spirits, so his horse's spirit would have already made that journey.

Of course that could also mean the horse spirit might come back, or be waiting when he got to the other side.

Nickdfresh
07-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Cremating a horse has to be pretty difficult.

Hardrock69
07-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Man, that dude deserves all the respect anyone could bestow upon him.

As do all veterans.

Ally_Kat
07-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Cremating a horse has to be pretty difficult.

well, what else do they do with them when they die? I highly doubt they leave them to rot or just bury them.

FORD
07-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
well, what else do they do with them when they die? I highly doubt they leave them to rot or just bury them.

I don't want this thread to take a wrong turn, but dead horses are usually sent to the rendering plant where their carcasses become dog food and their hooves become glue and Jello.