View Full Version : Anti-NAZI Germans Honored

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
GERMANY
Leaders honor resisters who plotted to kill Hitler

7/21/2005
http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2005/07/21/0721wreath_color.jpg
Associated Press
An honor guard stands beside a wreath at the Bendlerblock building in Berlin Wednesday.

BERLIN (AP) - German political and military leaders commemorated the unsuccessful attempt to kill Adolf Hitler 61 years ago, laying wreaths Wednesday at the former Nazi military headquarters where the plotters were executed.

Military chief of staff Gen. Wolfgang Schneiderhan and the supreme court president, Hans-Juergen Papier, laid wreaths at the Bendlerblock building, now the Defense Ministry, where the plotters were executed after their plan to kill Hitler with a briefcase bomb failed on July 20, 1944.

The executed plotters included Col. Claus Graf Schenk von Stauffenberg and other high-ranking soldiers from the German aristocracy. Two generals were given the chance to take their own lives and one did.

A separate ceremony was held to honor the more than 2,500 Nazi resisters executed between 1933 and 1945 at Ploetzensee, on the outskirts of Berlin. German Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries praised their efforts.

"The men and women who participated deserve great credit for deciding in favor of law and justice," Zypries said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050721/3038514.asp

Seshmeister
07-21-2005, 09:00 PM
2500?

It's not a lot is it?

I think, uncomfortable as it is for modern Germans, Hitler had the popular mandate up until at least 1942.

Nickdfresh
07-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
2500?

It's not a lot is it?

I think, uncomfortable as it is for modern Germans, Hitler had the popular mandate up until at least 1942.

Very true. But one has to acknowledge that any resistance to the Nazi regime meant death after a certain point.

I believe German students were sent to concentration camps for passing out anti-Hitler leaflets. And sometimes it's hard to oppose one's government in the face of national crisis. I think Hitler was basically saying it's me or Stalin, and the American and British are bombing the shit out of you too.

4moreyears
07-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Glad to see these people getting the honor they so deserve.

JH

FORD
07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 4moreyears
Glad to see these people getting the honor they so deserve.

JH

Yet if you had lived back then, you would have been telling them to get the Hell out of Germany, called them traitors, and posted chain mails filled with lies about them.