PDA

View Full Version : Padres pull 2 moves..

redblkwht
07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Trade Phil Nevin to Baltimore
for Sidney Ponson.

Get Joe Randa for Cincy for 2 minor leaguers..

nice..SD is going for it,good for
them.
good to see a GM out there with Balls.

from,
a disgruntled
cubs fan ;) lol

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2005, 08:57 PM
1 1/2 moves, Nevin still hasn't waived his no-trade clause....

He already turned down a trade a year or two ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he turned this one down as well....

DLR7884
07-23-2005, 09:11 PM
If Nevin does turn the trade down, what the hell will they do with both him and Randa?

DLR7884
Can't use one as a DH....maybe slide one of them over to 1st or put them in the outfield?

ALinChainz
07-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Nevin plays a lot of first now, but the Padres want to put Nady there full time.

The Orioles want to rest and DH Palmiero for the stretch, they are using Gomez at first to rest him.

Nevin has his home in CA, he wants to stay, I'd be surprised if he ok's it.

POJO_Risin
07-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Well...If Nevin were smart...he'd stay...

but if he doesn't...2 great moves by San Diego...

POJO_Risin
07-23-2005, 11:56 PM
at least they are being proactive...

Brett
07-24-2005, 03:42 AM
The NL West is so bad, the Dodgers are 9 games under 500 and only what 5.5 out? LOL.

ALinChainz
07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Padres: Nevin says no to Baltimore

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Tuesday, July 26, 2005

News
Padres first baseman Phil Nevin on Monday invoked his no-trade clause and nixed a deal that would have sent him to the Orioles in exchange for starter Sidney Ponson, reports ESPN.com. "Phil has elected to stay with the Padres and will be treated as a full member of the team," Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. Nevin is citing "personal and family" reasons for rejecting the trade, reports ESPN's Jayson Stark. "He decided he'd rather be home," Nevin's agent, Barry Axelrod, said, "even in a diminished role."

Views
This is bad news for any owners who have held on to Ponson, as he would have seen his fantasy value rise in spacious PETCO Park. Nevin will continue to share time at first with Xavier Nady unless another trade involving him is consummated, but that looks unlikely at this point.

knuckleboner
07-25-2005, 11:42 PM
2 great moves by the padres?

man, i must be the only o's fan here. ponson is no great prize. he's a decent pitcher (when he's not punching judges in aruba). but he's definitely streaky.

i was actually happy to get a backup 1B for ponson.

Brett
07-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Nevin for Ponson would have been a steal for the O's.