PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Dad Asks 11-Year-Old Son to Drive

Sarge
03-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Drunken Dad Asks 11-Year-Old Son to Drive
Thu Mar 11, 8:14 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

DALLAS (Reuters) - A Texas man did the drinking and decided to let his 11-year-old son, who was barely able to see over the steering wheel, do the driving, police said.

Police said on Wednesday they had arrested Robert Lee Crider on charges of child endangerment, public intoxication and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle.

Crider's son was pulled over by a Texas state trooper outside of the west Texas town of Big Spring in the predawn hours of Saturday after the officer saw the car speeding and weaving through traffic, said Sgt. Jason Hester, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Crider apparently was taking his son home for the weekend as a part of a custody arrangement with his ex-wife. Crider and a friend stopped off at a bar with the boy, and when the two adults became too drunk to drive, they handed the keys of the rental car over to the boy.

The boy was pulled over just as the group started on a trip of some 200 miles to Crider's home. They had passed several motels before they were stopped by the trooper, Hester said.

Police fed the boy a grilled cheese sandwich, found a mattress for him to sleep on and called his mother, who picked him up and drove him back to her home.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20040311/od_nm/odd_driver_dc

High Life Man
03-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Damn, that reminds me...I need to find my illegitimate children!

BITEYOASS
03-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey, my dad let me drive when I was 12. but he wasn't drunk in the car at the time.

alexpgrimes
03-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Good thing my oldest son is 17.

Viking
03-16-2004, 12:59 AM
Don't laugh. My Dad did the same thing with me when I was 14. In the mountains. At night. And I was gassed to the gills, too! ROTFLMAO Made it home, though. I guess he figured that the booze I'd gotten into wasn't as much as the booze he drank at the conference that night, but he knew I was pickled. :D He eventually came home boozed up one night, and peeled the driver's side off of Old Man Ballard's prized Cadillac. Fucked up our Buick Le Sabre, big time. Actually, I was happy. Old Man Ballard was a miserable old bastard.

Eyes of the Night
03-19-2004, 06:05 AM
Cool story Vik! ...

:gulp: