PDA

View Full Version : Should HARD rock have keyboards at all?

ThrillsNSpills
07-24-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm talking about distorted guitar-type hard rock. (not about ballads)
Overall, what do you think?

DrMaddVibe
07-24-2005, 08:48 AM
It's nothing a guitar couldn't do. A keyboard adds a certain cheesy flavor and guitar legends should have their status revoked for playing one!

Big Fat Sammy
07-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Where is bobgnote?

He will tell ya all about the organs place in hard rock...:D

diamondsgirl
07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
I MUCH prefer guitar.

My least fav CVH tunes are Jump and I'll Wait

Unchainme
07-24-2005, 04:19 PM
The only band i've really seen It work with is GN'R, The beginning of Paradise City, It can work occasionaly just as long as it does't take over the whole song.

thome
07-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Shoot MAN i dig saxaphone in rock.there is room fo some things

organs... no woodwinds ...flute look at tull its like Dig this MAN

different kinds of rock smoothe rock for the ladies ...head bangers

BIG ROCK van halen roth style...theres more than one WAY TO ROCK

done matter w/spam says dig this man.

Rock is in the eye of the beholder some people jus blind in other
peoples eyes Yeah BRASS Dig it man yeah ALLLRITE
layin it Down for the masses Cool hip tuned in ramblin JACK

Oh ok prozak just kicked in what was the question

:cool: :D

sammysucks65
07-24-2005, 06:58 PM
old hard rock deep purple, styx (there hard rock right?) doors (they were considered hard rock......yea theyre ok to use a organ but not the bands of the 80s eg-hair metal

rustoffa
07-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I'd say UFO did the best job of properly applying the keyboards. Deep Purple rawked....

Who can forget Zep Tramplin' shit underfoot? No Quarter?

QUEEN?

Grand Funk?

The folks that could pull it off are few and far between. As a general rule, Bring Ted Nugent in and have him shoot the keyboard machine.

Matt White
07-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Never a fan of Keys in HARD ROCK...just don't seem right!!!

scottydabodi
07-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Keys in Hard Rock... well, Queen fucken rules. Deep Purple fucken rules. Zep fucken rules. DLR had Brett Tuggle for a LONG ASS time, and he fucken rules. I think I can live with it, until the keyboard player starts writin' the tunes, and takin over the sound(a la Styx). Shit, even Maiden, Priest, and Manowar have had keys in their tunes... King Diamond doesn't mind 'em... keys are ok.

LoungeMachine
07-24-2005, 09:51 PM
If it fits, and is done well, why not?

i.e. Never Been Any Reason - Head East

Magic Man - Heart

etc, etc

Llama
07-25-2005, 05:04 AM
I don't see any reason why keyboards shouldn't be in Hard Rock.

While it might seem like it's a bad idea in theory, it often pays off and adds alot to certain songs(See: Queen, GnR, Led Zepellin)

Shaun Ponsonby
07-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Queen
The Who
Led Zep
Dave
Deep Purple
The Vastly Underrated UFO
Dio (ah, yes, the beginning of Holy Diver wouldn't have the same feel if a guitar was making those gothic noises)
Judas Priest (really helped A Touch of Evil)

+ many more?

Hardrock69
07-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Personally I think there is only one band in history where the keyboards actually kicked ass in a hard rock setting...

DEEP PURPLE

What other keyboardist do you know of that played a Hammond B3 through two MARSHALL STACKS???

scam failin
07-29-2005, 06:54 AM
you know what's up hard rock.if anyone took the time to listen to deep purple's MADE IN JAPAN.....................THAT WILL ERASE ALL DOUBT WHO IS THE GREATEST HARD ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD THAT USED KEYBOARDS.......... NO ONE COMES CLOSE TO JON LORD.

BALLYJUNKIE
07-29-2005, 03:36 PM
you gotta LOVE THE KEYBOARDS ON MR CROWLEY .... IT DEPENDS ON HOW ITS USED.... THE DOORS, DEEP PURPLE EVEN YNGWIE MALMSTEEN WITH KEYBOARDS SOUNDED GREAT AND REALLY FILLED OUT THIER SONGS ..... BUT KEYBOARDS IN BON JOVI SONGS WERE A BIT CHEESY....... RAY MANZAREK.... JON LORD .....JENS JOHANSON(RISING FORCE }... ALL GREAT ........ GREATEST KEYBOARD INTRO WAS MR CROWLEY THOUGH ....... OH MR CROWLEY ,WHAT THEYVE DONE IN YOUR HEAD ,OH MR CROWLEY ,DID YOU TALK TO THE DEAD ..........

W*NK*R
07-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Hell yeah! Keyboards are hard rockin'.

EUROPE!