PDA

View Full Version : Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen?

fredoishone123
07-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Well, who likes who? I prefer Steve Vai, he's a better guitarist technically. But who am I kidding? I drum....Also, this is my first post...

tydhurst
07-25-2005, 04:12 AM
Vai easily.

Malmsteen just plays scales and wears ill fitting leather trousers.

fredoishone123
07-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Yeah...but at least Malmsteen is better than Eddie...well most people are anyways..

Panamark
07-25-2005, 04:20 AM
Yngwie is a far better songwriter than Vai. Yngwie plays rhythm a
million times better too..

I can sit through "Rising Forces" and "Marching out" as they actually
sound like a band. Steve Vai is awesome, but his songs are wankfests.

Im trying to remember one Steve Vai song (complete with singer
and band) at the moment.... Cant think of one.. I can recall
several Malmsteen efforts.

fredoishone123
07-25-2005, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Yngwie is a far better songwriter than Vai. Yngwie plays rhythm a
million times better too..

I can sit through "Rising Forces" and "Marching out" as they actually
sound like a band. Steve Vai is awesome, but his songs are wankfests.

Im trying to remember one Steve Vai song (complete with singer
and band) at the moment.... Cant think of one.. I can recall
several Malmsteen efforts.

Didn't Steve Vai do something with Whitesnake once?

Hardrock69
07-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Uhh...yeah....I saw them in the late 80s opening for Motley Crue.

I was thrilled to be able to see them, and vastly disappointed.

Their set was soooo boring.

For the same reason Steve Vai is EXTREMELY boring.

I got to see Steve vs. Yngwie a year and a half ago on G3...Yngwie was on fire. Steve was over-polished boredom.

Yes Steve is a fantastic player, but his shit is too fucking laboratory sterile.

Comparing Vai to Malmsteen is like comparing Vai's plastic to Yngwie's molten steel.

sammysucks65
11-02-2005, 06:50 PM
malmsteen all the way he is god among guitarists

ELVIS
11-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Amen...

How did I miss this ??

Loons The Great
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Vai...by a country mile...for his work with Diamond Dave...and "Crossroads"...and The Audience Is Listening...

DR CHIP
11-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Both are great at what they do....

Yngwie definitely influenced a generation of neo-clasical guitarists and may be one of the most influential guys in our generation...I remember Rising Force when it came out...it was radical for the time...

Overall, though, as a complete guitarist, Vai gets my nod....

I saw these guys at Ruth Eckerd Hall a few years ago and although Yngwie was "on", Vai decided to do a little "neo-classical" piece himself (you could kinda tell all the guys were competing)...

The final nail in the coffin though, Billy Sheehan when asked about the talent on the tour said without question Vai was not only the best of the three, but was the greatest guitarist of our time....

Word

I agree with everyone here that feels Ed was so on fire when he came out and that he probably is THE most influential guitarist ever, but ladies and gents, little Stevie Vai just is flat out an incredible guitar player....

Terry
11-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Vai, to my ears, has always had a tone that just sounds overprocessed and plastic-like. Even on the EEAS stuff. Not even talking what he's playing, but just his sound.

Think Vai is probably a little more versatile than Malmsteen, who has always come off a bit like a one-trick pony to me. But Vai is too heavily focused on technique...I mean, shit, I play too. Nowhere near the level of Vai or Malmsteen, but have been playing for long enough to appreciate the skill they both possess. Even so, Vai, while a great player, is a wanker extraordinaire. Malmsteen has those classical scales down cold and can blaze through them at the speed of light, but not much else. Am oversimplifying a bit, but that's the essence of those two to me. Not a helluva bunch of SONGwriting skills displayed from either of them. Explains why those two tend to appeal to only other guitarists, while someone like EVH appeals to many non-musician rock fans.

ghostrider
11-02-2005, 09:22 PM
I always appreciated Vai more, simply because of his creativity. BUT when I saw the last G3 DVD, Malsteem smoked all their asses. Even when they did the Hendrix shit the European made Vai and Satch look kinda silly. Vai and Satch looked intimidated. I was shocked!! Yeah, I know he has his formula and trademark licks, but Goddamn he really took it to Vai and Satch. I know guitar playing is not a competition, but on that DVD Malsteem made it one.

ghostrider
11-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I meant Malmsteen SHIT!

bueno bob
11-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Malmsteen, easy. Malmsteen can outshred Vai any day of the week - defeating that, he's a better songwriter and a better rythm player (something Mark already mentioned, I think).

Saw G3 a few years back with Satch/Vai/Malmsteen...Yngwie kicked the shit out of both of them, Joe and Steve were both a snorefest...the audience in general was very bored throughout both of their sets and didn't get lively again until the encore where Yngwie demolished them both.

When he's on his game, NOBODY touches Yngwie.

Nobody.

bueno bob
11-03-2005, 12:15 PM
My opinions on EEAS and Skyscraper would have been a LOT different had Malmsteen accepted David's offer back in '85... :)

DABSR
11-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by fredoishone123
Yeah...but at least Malmsteen is better than Eddie...well most people are anyways..

You're kidding me right ??? Please say you are ? If it weren't for Edward Van Halen, these guys would have been doing something less than what they have.

Edward has less ego, that's why the Van Halen albums weren't guitar adventures.

Yngwie ?!?!?! Wow ... so he can play "Eruption" with his teeth and faster than Edward.

wow

And how successful has he been ....no ...not even close to Edward.

As for Steve Vai. he's truly a magician ...but his approach also differs from Edward's as Edward played for the song. Steve's playing WAS the song.

Just my opinion ...

bueno bob
11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by DABSR
You're kidding me right ??? Please say you are ? If it weren't for Edward Van Halen, these guys would have been doing something less than what they have.

Not necessarily.

Oh please. If Ed has less ego, it's because he's drowned it.

Yngwie ?!?!?! Wow ... so he can play "Eruption" with his teeth and faster than Edward.

wow

Yes.

So what? Yngwie's music is for fans of "guitar adventure" - Van Halen was always more marketable than Yngwie...that's obvious.

As for Steve Vai. he's truly a magician ...but his approach also differs from Edward's as Edward played for the song. Steve's playing WAS the song.

Just my opinion ...

OK :)

Hardrock69
11-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I read an interview with Vai recently where he was asked if there were any guitarists around who he felt were better than he is, or would give him a run for his money or some shit, and he said that Yngwie could play arpeggios much cleaner and faster than he could.

Kinda interesting to hear that....

Despite the fact that I think Vai is boring and sounds to sterile, it is quite obvious he is a real motherfucker of a guitarist.

Dave's Bitch
11-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by fredoishone123

better guitar player than EVH???
i think not

Soul Reaper
11-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
better guitar player than EVH???
i think not

quite a few players are 'better' than EVH, in my opinion....

let's see...

Django Reinhardt
Allan Holdsworth
Jeff Beck
SRV
John McClaughlin
Shawn Lane
Al Di Meola
John McClaughlin
Paco De Lucia

------------------------------------------

Yngwie or Vai?

erm....I'd have to say Yngwie for pure RAWK attitude....even if he is a bit of a one trick pony.....UNLEASH THE FOOKIN FURY!

DR CHIP
11-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Too bad Steve Vai isn't recognized as a great guitar player!

GRAMMY WINNER:

1994 Best Rock Instrumental Performance
"Sofa" – from Zappa's Universe

2001 Best Pop Instrumental Album
Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather – No Substitutions
[Steve Vai Producer/Engineer]

GRAMMY NOMINATION:

2001 Best Rock Instrumental Performance
"Whispering a Prayer" – from Alive in an Ultra World

1999 Best Rock Instrumental Performance
"Windows to the Soul" – from The Ultra Zone

1997 Best Rock Instrumental Performance
"For the Love of God" – from G3 Live in Concert

1995 Best Rock Instrumental Performance
"Tender Surrender" – from Alien Love Secrets

1990 Best Rock Instrumental Album
Passion & Warfare

GUITAR PLAYER MAGAZINE:

1995 Gallery of Greats

1995 Best Rock Guitarist
(Tie with Jimmy Page)

1995 Best Overall Guitarist
3rd Place

1995 Best Experimental Guitarist
(Tie with Buckethead)

1995 Best Metal Recording
3rd Place

1995 Best Overall Guitar Recording
2nd Place

1995 Best Metal Guitarist
3rd Place

1990 Best Rock Guitarist

1990 Best Overall Guitarist

1990 Best Guitar Album

1990 Best Metal Guitarist

1989 Best Rock Guitarist

1988 Best Rock Guitarist

1987 Best Rock Guitarist

1987 Best Overall Guitarist

1986 Best Rock Guitarist

GUITAR WORLD:

1990 Most Valued Player
(tie with Stevie Ray Vaughan)

1990 Best Album

1990 Best Rock Guitarist

1990 Best Guitar Solo
(For the Love of God)

1989 Best Rock Guitarist

INTERNATIONAL MUSIC AWARDS NOMINATION:

1990 Best Guitarist

SELECT MAGAZINE (UK):

1990 Best Album
(Passion and Warfare)

1990 Best Musician

1990 Sexiest Male

GUITAR FOR THE PRACTICING MUSICIAN:

1993 Editor’s Choice Award

1990 Reader’s Choice - Guitar Album of the Year

1990 Best Instrumental Guitarist of the Year

1988 Rock Guitarist of the Year

1987 Hall of Fame

1986 Guitar in the 90’s Award

KERRANG (UK):

1993 Best Hard Rock Performance

1990 Guitarist of the Year

1989 Best Rock Guitarist

YOUNG GUITAR (JAPAN):

1997 Best Rock Guitarist

1991 Best Rock Guitarist

ROCK BRIGADE:

1996 Best Guitarist

1997 Best Guitarist

RAW:

1990 Best Selling Album (No. 10)

1990 Best Selling LP Sleeve (No. 1)

1990 Best Selling Promo Video
(No. 5, I Would Love To)

1990 Best Selling Promo Video
(No. 7, The Audience is Listening)

1990 Best Sex Object (No. 6)

1990 Best RAW Cover (No. 3)

PLAYER:

1995 Best Hard Rock Guitarist - 2nd Place

MAKING MUSIC:

1990 Best Album

1990 Best Guitarist

1990 Best Musician

METAL HAMMER:

1990 Best Guitarist (Reader's Poll)

CALIFORNIA MUSIC AWARDS:

2001 Outstanding Guitarist (nominee)

Soul Reaper
11-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by DR CHIP
Too bad Steve Vai isn't recognized as a great guitar player!

(then posts very big list)

LOL....who gets more recognition, Yngwie or Vai?

roryrobson666
11-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Malmsteen or Vai......... I saw Vai 2 weeks ago, and he was poo!!! So for decent, shreddage, and genral no mess around attitude.....Yngwie!!

roryrobson666
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
MALNSTEEN!!!!! VAI sucked when I saw him last month, and Yngwie is so COOL!!!!!!!! Do you like my picture?

JJMcClure
11-03-2005, 04:06 PM
I can appreciate the shredders for what they can do on the fretboard technically. But their scope is extremely limited - Steve Vai hasn't done shit since Passion & Warfare, all of his subsequent albums all sounded the same to me. Ditto Malmsteen since Rising Force - and most of that album sounds very dated now. Satriani put out a couple of good albums and I think The Extremist is very underated but again nothin since 94. The "best" guitarists in my eyes are the ones that can mould a kick ass guitar solo around a song. There's nobody even comes close to EVH on that level. Throw in SRV, Angus Young & Hendrix (move over Rover and let Jimi take over!) and you've got my list. Answering the question though I'll give my vote to Vai.

bastardog
11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
I prefer Vai
just because he played with Dave and kind of remember me some times of a young Edward Van Halen.
Malmsteen made extremely good songs over the years

Terry
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DABSR

wow

Just my opinion ...

Think Vai owes more of a nod to Eddie than Yngwie does.

I can discern Van Halenisms in a lot of what Vai does (not that Eddie has a patent on doing certain things on the guitar or anything like that), more so than Yngwie.

Maybe some of it has to do with how I was introduced to Vai as a player; from his early 1980s VH transcriptions in Guitar Player mag to his stint with Roth (hadn't heard of his work with Zappa until later)...hell, even his Flexible album...all kinda sprung out of the Van Halen well, so to speak. Not saying Vai is an EVH clone at all, but I can hear the influence.

Malmsteen came out with a style heavily influenced by classical music, and probably Ritchie Blackmore is Malmsteen's primary rock guitar influence (maybe a little Uli Jon Roth thrown in there). I don't hear much of Eddie in Yngwie at all. Matter of fact, Yngwie stood out in the early/mid 1980s because he WASN'T yet another player with two hands on the fretboard while simultaneously yanking on the tremolo bar with his foot.

DABSR
11-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I'll give credit where it's due, but if you want to talk about speed as in Yngwie's case, I'd say he saw an old clip of Les Paul from before the color television days ... he does a run where you'd swear it was a harp !!! I kick myself for not paying more attention to it at the time and I've only seen it twice ... but I'll tell ya ... it's fucking amazing long before any of these guys mentioned in this thread were strumming.

Oh ...and I still stand behind my opinion of Yngwie and Vai, why wouldn't I. ANd yes, I realize Edward doesn't have a patent on the hammer-ons, pull-offs etc, just like Jimi doesn't have a patent on feedback use ... but they were pioneers ..like it or not Edward is the single most influential guitarist since Jimi.

Marketable or not, like it or not, it is what it is.

Atomic_Rob
11-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Both awesome guitarists, but its got to be Vai for me. Although from what I've heard people say, his lastest album and all that Alien shit isn't so good.

Matt White
11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Yngwie

VAi is as much fun as a stick!!!

Bootyac
11-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I also got to see Yngwie and Vai on the G3 Tour.

I literally cried when Malmsteen played.I still get chills just thinking about him playing.

Vai was awesome without a doubt.But I think that Malmsteen stole the show.

When all three got up there and jammed..OMG!

But my vote goes to John Petrucci :p

Soul Reaper
11-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by roryrobson666

is that you in that pic or not?!

not trying to sound like a dumbass here

Soul Reaper
11-04-2005, 02:45 PM
speaking of G3....a new DVD has come out....Satch, Vai and Petrucci tour....looks cool....

Bootyac
11-04-2005, 09:29 PM
yeah,it IS awesome..I hope they tour the states again

I have to admit its been a year or so since I have been into VH..

but I got some old video "Van Halen the early years" so,I have been dusting off my shit,and to the person that posted all of those accolades and nominations from Vai..

Im sure another member has it on their fingertips how many awards Eddie has.

Just thought I would throw fuel on the fire

Romeo Delight
11-05-2005, 01:31 AM
I've seen Malmsteen 3 times, Vai 4 times, and Satch 7 times.

Vai does sound tinny to me, but I prefer his playing to Malmsteen.

I would much rather sit through a concert of Satch than either of them.

They may have their moments of brilliance, but I can't say that their playing can interest me for a whole show, like Satch and his Fat sound!

Soul Reaper
11-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I think Vai has a great tone....although you'd probably disagree...I love sustained tones....like Gary Moore's....

Bootyac
11-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Ahh yes...Gary Moore..that guy is amazing as well

Im somewhat suprised that he isnt/hasnt been on any G3 tours

His song 'End of the world' is fucking awesome!

Soul Reaper
11-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Bootyac
Ahh yes...Gary Moore..that guy is amazing as well

Im somewhat suprised that he isnt/hasnt been on any G3 tours

His song 'End of the world' is fucking awesome!

heh...there's a story about why he isn't on G3...

In his interview for Guitarist magazine last year, he said that G3 is basically futile....he says that Yngwie basically sounds the same and all the tunes on there (including Vai and Satch) have no structure and so it's shit....he's moaning about how they don't play with emotion and with too much flash....he says a lot of shit about 'shredders'...

....that's the reason....

Soul Reaper
11-06-2005, 03:35 PM
i've just heard 'End of the world'....

what the FECK???!!