PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Urges Party Unity

Steve Savicki
07-25-2005, 02:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050725/ap_on_el_pr/hillary_moderates

COLUMBUS, Ohio - New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, a potential 2008 presidential candidate, on Monday pressed Democrats to adopt a tough stand on national security and urged the party to show a united front to counter "the hard-right ideology in Washington."

Speaking to the Democratic Leadership Council, the centrist group that helped her husband, Bill Clinton, secure the White House, the senator delivered a broad speech that touched on foreign policy, health care, education and fissures within her own party.

"It's high time for a ceasefire," Clinton said.

The speech was coupled with the announcement that Clinton had been chosen to head the DLC's "American Dream Initiative," described by the organization as a national conversation with business, political, labor, civic and intellectual leaders on an agenda for the country and party.

The chairmanship will allow Clinton to travel the country next year, when she is seeking another term in the Senate. The job will be an opportunity to burnish an already high-profile image that frequently energizes Democrats while also helping anti-Clinton Republicans raise campaign cash.

"Let's start by uniting against the hard-right ideology in Washington," Clinton said. "All too often we have allowed ourselves to be split between left, right and center."

Clinton made it clear in her speech that Democrats should take a tough stand on combatting terrorism, calling for a "unified coherent strategy focused on eliminating terrorists wherever we find them."

A member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, she echoed calls from the DLC to increase the size of the military, while calling for smarter decisions on deploying forces.

"There is a broader and stronger coalition against terror," she said.

She also spoke of a focus on health care, noting that during her husband's presidency she attempted to tackle that issue, but little progress has been made.

"Today, we spend more of our income on health care with no end in sight," she said.

Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, another frequently mentioned 2008 candidate, called for a positive, progressive agenda.

"We can't afford to be anti-, against everything," Vilsack said. "We've got to be for something."

Sen. Evan Bayh (news, bio, voting record) of Indiana, also the subject of 2008 speculation, said Clinton "is a very strong front-runner" but told activists the party's future lies in the Midwest.

"Our success as a party will be determined largely by how well we do here," Bayh said

Some have suggested Clinton has carefully tacked a course toward the political center as the speculation about 2008 grows.

In January she used an appearance before abortion-rights advocates to call for "common ground" on the issue.

In addition, Clinton joined with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich to push for health care legislation like a single system for medical billing that all insurers and providers would use to save time and money.

Clinton has also taken a tough stand against violence in video games and on television, and against illegal immigration. She sought out a seat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, which allowed her to take high-profile trips to Iraq and put a foreign policy arrow in her quiver.

"It doesn't surprise me that she's becoming more moderate," said Leroy Comrie, a city councilman in the New York borough of Queens. "I think the country is becoming more and more moderate, more and more conservative."

Al From, founder of the DLC and a close ally of both Sen. Clinton and former President Clinton, disputes that view. He says Hillary Clinton hasn't changed much at all.

"She hasn't done anything that's changed what she's done for 15 years," said From, arguing that Clinton has always been every bit the moderate her husband was.

On abortion, "she's always been for legal, safe and rare," said From. "She was a strong supporter of welfare reform."

In addition, From said, she pushed Arkansas into the lead in establishing charter schools while her husband was governor. "She was the leading education reformer in the country," said From. "She has been steadfast on national security."

In From's view, Clinton suffers from something of an identity crisis nationally. After her husband was elected president, she headed an effort to overhaul the nation's health care, an unsuccessful move that opponents characterized as putting the country on a road to a government-controlled national health system.

For most voters, that failed health care effort was their introduction to her, said From, who sees her recent moves as simply moving the focus back to her traditional issues.

Though Clinton was joined at the meeting by three other potential Democratic 2008 presidential candidates, most of the buzz focused on her.

FORD
07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
There will be no party unity until the DLC is cut out like the fucking cancer it is.

Unchainme
07-25-2005, 03:20 PM
I hope to God she never becomes president,any other dem president I can deal with, Kerry, Dean take your pick, Shes just such a hypocritical bitch. On a sidenote maybe I can relate to Ford and Loungemachine about how the feel about bush, If this were to happen.

FORD
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
We don't want Hillary either. She's no Liberal, but a corporatist Likud blowing sellout bitch just like the rest of the DLC.

Unchainme
07-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by FORD
We don't want Hillary either. She's no Liberal, but a corporatist Likud blowing sellout bitch just like the rest of the DLC.

Finally something me and Ford can agree on in politiics, Do you think That we can get them to make a "Rock Against Hillary" CD? :D

Ally_Kat
07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by FORD

Get her out of my state! I'll pay you.

The last 13 years have been hell. I automatically say "no, not like Hillary Clinton" in introductions without anybody even mentioning her that's how routine it normally is.

I want her to go away and for people to spell my name correctly again

[/kiddierant:D]

thome
07-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Saw hillary on letterman a few years back and she was talking about
how as a Dem she can feel for the poor and that was the reason
Dems should be voted for in the upcoming election. All the blacks
and low income whites were her people .Dave looked at her like
WTF She stumble looked at dave and said Not us I mean THEM
were rich but theyre not like us.It was real two faced comment.

I allways knew she was a scam artist Bill & her remind me exactly
of evangelist preacher couple confusing the down trodden .And
riding the road to glory off the backs of the weak.

Warham
07-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey Ally,

If Hillary runs against Giuliani for president in '08, who would you vote for?

:D

hollywood5150
07-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Hey Warham, how ya doing buddy. Been a long time since i seen ya?

I hope all is well, health and happiness to you. (freinds & family too)

well I would vote for Giulliani........

IMO

Ally_Kat
07-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Hey Ally,

If Hillary runs against Giuliani for president in '08, who would you vote for?

:D

Who the hell you think? I want Rudy to run so badly. And for Tom Ognibene to win the Republican primary this fall. Bloomberg is trying hard in court to take him out, but we don't play dirty politics so we should get off clean.

Warham
07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
Hey Warham, how ya doing buddy. Been a long time since i seen ya?

I hope all is well, health and happiness to you. (freinds & family too)

well I would vote for Giulliani........

IMO

All is well here, Hollywood.

How's the life out there in Cali? Ha ha!

Ally_Kat
07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
which would be interesting because Rudy and Tom are close friends seeing how they worked closely together for 8 yrs. But Rudy's been in Blommie's commericals, but i'm thinking that's because they were done before there was another canidate.

Steve Savicki
07-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Finally something me and Ford can agree on in politiics, Do you think That we can get them to make a "Rock Against Hillary" CD? :D
If FORD can drum, sure.

Unchainme
07-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
If FORD can drum, sure.

cool, what song should we do, Sex Pistols would be good to do a cover "Anarchy In The USA?", Or Rage Against The Machine, We could do "Killing In The Name Of People Who hate Hillary"

Nickdfresh
07-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
cool, what song should we do, Sex Pistols would be good to do a cover "Anarchy In The USA?", Or Rage Against The Machine, We could do "Killing In The Name Of People Who hate Hillary"

And maybe you can get out your TOBY KIETH & LEE GREENWOOD songs so we can show our love for the troops by sending them to be killed by roadside bombs in a war we're going to lose anyway.