PDA

View Full Version : Name Your 3 Favorite Musicians,That Your Parents Listened To

mewisemagic
07-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Mine Are Barry White,Neil Diamond And Herb Alpert/Tijauna Brass..

FORD
07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Tragically, my parents listened to more country and 40's/50's stuff than anything. So I'll have to go with....

Elvis
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams Sr.

mewisemagic
07-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Tragically, my parents listened to more country and 40's/50's stuff than anything. So I'll have to go with....

Elvis
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams Sr. How Can You Go Wrong With Those 3,Damn Good List

jero
07-26-2005, 09:28 AM
My mom terorrised me with......Cliff richard!
can you believe it! No wonder they are divorced!

mewisemagic
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jero
My mom terorrised me with......Cliff richard!
can you believe it! No wonder they are divorced! LMMFAO!

Last_Child
07-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Ian Hunter/Mott the Hoople..

That's sums it all up...

jero
07-26-2005, 10:55 AM
@mewisemagic,

and often she would (if I was bad) put on....The Carpenters!
I went suicidal!

bueno bob
07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Are bands OK?

With my Mom, she was an Elvis nut...

My dad dug Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Big Fat Sammy
07-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Here is 4....

Steely Dan

Lionel Ritchie

Michael McDonald

Neil Young

:D

Golden AWe
07-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Well...amongst the international music they had, I remember George Harrison, Elvis, Johnny Cash, The Queen and Mozart the best...

zeronumber
07-26-2005, 02:21 PM
My dad was really into Lynyard Skynard, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, The rolling stones, and Paul McCarthy

My mom was really into Billy Joel, Elton John, James Taylor, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Donna Summer, and Cher.

My father was(And still is) a huge fan of Jimmy Page's work,
And my mom's favorite musican (oddly enough) was miles davis...
Which could explain why she wanted me to learn how to play brass instruments...Thank god my father helped convinced her guitars were better.

Last_Child
07-26-2005, 02:50 PM
May I?

Lynyrd Skynyrd.

FORD
07-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Here is 4....

Steely Dan

Lionel Ritchie

Michael McDonald

Neil Young

:D

Oh well, one out of four ain't bad. Neil's cool.

The Scatologist
07-26-2005, 03:11 PM
My Mom = Led Zep, Queen, Aerosmith.

She saw Queen like multiple times live. In like multiple countries.

(and now she's talking about going to see them AGAIN)

Warham
07-26-2005, 03:18 PM
My dad's favorite group was Grand Funk Railroad.

My mom's was probably a combination of different 70's/80's acts. She was big on Robert Palmer in the 80's.

I like both of those artists' body of work.

Golden AWe
07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by zeronumber
My dad was really into Lynyard Skynard, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, The rolling stones, and Paul McCarthy

My father was(And still is) a huge fan of Jimmy Page's work,
And my mom's favorite musican (oddly enough) was miles davis...
Which could explain why she wanted me to learn how to play brass instruments...Thank god my father helped convinced her guitars were better.

and still you ended up liking Hagar?:confused:

Big Fat Sammy
07-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Oh well, one out of four ain't bad. Neil's cool.

I HATED Mike McDonald for a LONG time.....it wasn't untill recently that it grew on me.

This ghetto club that I play at on Sundays plays that guy on the jukebox NONSTOP!

Can't believe you're not down with the Dan! :D

Carmine
07-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by mewisemagic
Mine Are Barry White,Neil Diamond And Herb Alpert/Tijauna Brass..

Edward Van Halen, Dave Lombardo, James Hetfield.

Loons The Great
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
My Daddy-o listened to a lotta Zeppelin and The Who back in de day...now he listens to country and took my little sisters to The Spice Girls a few years back...yowza...My mammy got a bottle smashed over her head at an Alice Cooper show...and tore at Elvis's shirt and nearly got ran over by his limo at one of The King's shows nah...

zeronumber
07-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe

Yeah, mostly because My dad's a huge van halen fan, mostly from the sammy era.

And I literally grew up listening to van halen and van hagar.

My father hated any and all music from the 90's except for van hagar, and aerosmith.

I remember when My brother first bought Nirvana's "Nevermind", he called it "A huge pile of shit...Those guys can't even fucking sing, and their guitar solo's suck!!!"

When asked what he liked better, sam or dave, he would always say sam, moslty because he only liked 5 CVH tunes, and hated the way dave would squeak his voice from time to time.

Last_Child
07-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Nevermind is a huge pile of shit, and Kurt can't sing or play guitar.
I don't like Nirvana!

I fucking hate Smells Like teen spirit..!

Big Fat Sammy
07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Loons The Great
My Daddy-o listened to a lotta Zeppelin and The Who back in de day...now he listens to country and took my little sisters to The Spice Girls a few years back...yowza...My mammy got a bottle smashed over her head at an Alice Cooper show...and tore at Elvis's shirt and nearly got ran over by his limo at one of The King's shows nah...

LOL :D

My momma been to 3 Alice shows back in the day!

zeronumber
07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Big Fat Sammy
Can't believe you're not down with the Dan! :D

I wonder why a lot of people aren't into steely dan,

Like Rikki don't lose that number, Reelin in the Years, Peg, Kid Charlemagne, Deacon Blues, FM, Hey ninteen...

All kick ass songs.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-26-2005, 03:59 PM
The majority of the bands that I listen to were intoduced to me by my dad.

Matt White
07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Brilliant question!!!

1.) Hank Williams

2.) The 4 Tops

3.) Alabama

muffinman14
07-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Anne Murray is pretty much the only one I don't completly despise(mom was/is obsessed), and my dad is into the Statler Bros., but they've only managed to pump out about 2 songs I don't hate(except their old christmas record). Tough break for me I guess, but the first two tapes my mom bought me were Stay Hungry and Sign in Please!

DlocRoth
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
The Beatles, Dylan, Peter, Paul and Mary....freaking hippie...LOL

All I got to say is ask my kid what his old man grew up on I SAAAAAAAAY!

And I already know what my grandkids will say too.......

mewisemagic
07-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Brilliant question!!!

1.) Hank Williams

2.) The 4 Tops

3.) Alabama Thanks!

FasterPussycat
07-26-2005, 08:49 PM
My parents only listen old Korean music, so...

But I do like many "older generation"songs...

Midnight blue...ELO

That's How Strong My Love Is...Oties Reddings

Baby I Gonna Leave You... both versions of LZ and GW

No Querter...again, both versions of LZ and GW

Blue Jean Blues...ZZ Top

Sorry, I forgot how to count!!!

academic punk
07-26-2005, 08:54 PM
My dad...well, to be honest, I never knew my dad. He probably doesn't even know that he has a son.

My mom was a street whore. THOUGH AT THE TIME SHE WAS *NOT* A CRACK ADDICT, OKAY? SO DON'T EVEN MAKE FUN OF HER LIKE THAT!!!

She liked to play Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain" while she was working. But if her customer wanted to listen to something else, she was open. The number of times I had to hear Jose Feliciano coming from her room while I had to sleep underneath the kitchen table when she had a customer!

DavidLeeNatra
07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
goooooooood question....my dad was a huge stones fan (got busted when he was at the stones concert in berlin 196'something, where they only played a couple of songs and the audience destroyed the whole "waldbühne")...also elvis and he worked as security for The Who and almost fucked up his hearing cause he was standing close to the pa and daltrey swung his mike on a cymbal...

he also made me listen to ray charles and otis redding, went with me to a lot of club bands, who mostly played covers and got me to my first concert ever in 1982 which was QUEEN...think he was a good influence...

my mother was into beatles...I'm not...

mewisemagic
07-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
goooooooood question....my dad was a huge stones fan (got busted when he was at the stones concert in berlin 196'something, where they only played a couple of songs and the audience destroyed the whole "waldbühne")...also elvis and he worked as security for The Who and almost fucked up his hearing cause he was standing close to the pa and daltrey swung his mike on a cymbal...

he also made me listen to ray charles and otis redding, went with me to a lot of club bands, who mostly played covers and got me to my first concert ever in 1982 which was QUEEN...think he was a good influence...

my mother was into beatles...I'm not... Damn Natra,Where The Hell Have Ya Been?Havent Seen Ya Around In A While..Good To See Ya,And It Looks Like A Good Musical Upbringing As Well...I Didnt Include Fats Domino As One Of My Dads Favorites,I Still Love To Hear That Stuff!Especially The Christmas Tunes,If It Wasnt For MR.Walker Over At DDLR.COM,I Wouldnt Have Been Able To Re-live S ome Of Those Memories!

Unchainme
07-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Some of my Dad favs
CCR
Aerosmith
Earth Wind and Fire
All awesome, he's not huge on halen. He does think that Stevie Ray Vaughn is the Greatest guitarist of all time though. When he introduced me to Aerosmith back in the day, thats what got me into Hard Rock.And thats why Aerosmith to this day is in my Top 5 of My favorite bands.

mewisemagic
07-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Some of my Dad favs
CCR
Aerosmith
Earth Wind and Fire
All awesome, he's not huge on halen. He does think that Stevie Ray Vaughn is the Greatest guitarist of all time though. When he introduced me to Aerosmith back in the day, thats what got me into Hard Rock.And thats why Aerosmith to this day is in my Top 5 of My favorite bands. I Met Steven Tyler And Jimmy Crespo During The "Rock In A Hard Place"Tour,Real Nice Guys,And Ive Always Been A Fan Of Their Music,At Least Up Until The Mid 90s..Wish Joe Perry Had Been With The Band At The Time!

Unchainme
07-26-2005, 11:15 PM
I Met Steven Tyler And Jimmy Crespo During The "Rock In A Hard Place"Tour,Real Nice Guys,And Ive Always Been A Fan Of Their Music,At Least Up Until The Mid 90s..Wish Joe Perry Had Been With The Band At The Time!

Really,that must have kicked ass. Thats got to be intrested, I heard Steven was extremely depressed that he didn't have joe with him. Well at least thats what I saw on behind the music. Aerosmith I think in my opinion is Americas Band, I think Van Halen could have been America's Band If they suck with Dave For like 4 or 5 more albums, But sadly I guess they don't care about Greatness, which is something Aerosmith has obviously achieved in my opinon.

BrownSound1
07-26-2005, 11:25 PM
My folks listened to everything...I was exposed to many different types of music growing up, and for that I have been thankful. This is a very difficult list for me to compile.

I remember very well listening to hours of albums on reel to reel tape. The Ventures was a favorite of my Father, as was Jay and the Americans, scores of folk groups, Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Chuck Berry, and the list goes on and on.

My mother liked all of that as well, but throw in Buddy Holly, Tony Bennet, Kenny Rogers. My mom loved early Beatles and Rolling Stones, whereas my father didn't care for either one. It wasn't until I started becoming interested in bands like The Kinks, Cream, The Who, Led Zeppelin, that my parents really took notice. I mean they knew who those bands were, but I kind of got them to appreciate that music a bit more. My mother was probably more receptive than my father to the harder stuff. I know they heard all about Van Halen, and even my mom says they were better with Dave. :D I did manage to get praise from my father when I played bits and piece of Eruption and Spanish Fly during a show my garage band did for a New Year's Eve church youth group party.

Rikk
07-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Golden AWe

:p

Rikk
07-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Like Rikki don't lose that number

You know, they stole the spelling of that song from me...

Big Fat Sammy
07-27-2005, 12:28 AM

my mother was into beatles...I'm not...

SAME HERE :D

zeronumber,

That story about your mom and Miles Davis "Sketches Of Spain" is funny as hell! :D

Panamark
07-27-2005, 04:02 AM
I was lucky, my folks loved Rock and Roll..

Beatles, Stones, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Elvis etc etc etc..
It was a good introduction to music for me..

Golden AWe
07-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by FasterPussycat
My parents only listen old Korean music, so...

But I do like many "older generation"songs...

Midnight blue...ELO

That's How Strong My Love Is...Oties Reddings

Baby I Gonna Leave You... both versions of LZ and GW

No Querter...again, both versions of LZ and GW

Blue Jean Blues...ZZ Top

Sorry, I forgot how to count!!!

funny how she has to mention that fake korean stuff in every one of her posts...

name some of the korean stuff!

ashstralia
07-27-2005, 04:46 AM
my dad liked elvis... and marching band music! heheh

mum dug neil diamond and roger whittaker.

Grant
07-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Elvis, Chuck Berry, The Beatles, Hermans Hermits, The Beach Boys, Chet Atkins, The Seekers.

My Dad was always big fan of The Beatles and would tell me stories about how they were staying across the street from him when they came out to Australia in 1964, the height of Beatlemania. He said he got into The Rolling Stones when 'Satisfaction' came out and had always dug 'Time Is My Side'. But he was more a Beatles fan than a Stones fan.

I remember not long ago when I was watching Dave in the 'California Girls' video and Dad asked me, "Is that Van Halen? That's a really good cover!" :)

I took alot of my musical influences and tastes from my Dad, but it was my older sister who got me into CVH. :cool:

DavidLeeNatra
07-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Damn Natra,Where The Hell Have Ya Been?Havent Seen Ya Around In A While..

don't worry...I'm here, but it's touring time during the summer so I sometimes wind up in lousy hotels without internet...

mewisemagic
07-27-2005, 08:36 AM
don't worry...I'm here, but it's touring time during the summer so I sometimes wind up in lousy hotels without internet... Gotcha..

EVHFREAK79
07-29-2005, 06:55 PM
My Mom= Stevie Ray Vaughn
Dad= Led Zeppelin
Blue Oyster Cult

sammysucks65
08-02-2005, 05:09 PM
my mom....liked kiss...jeez
dad...skynard, nugent, and joe walsh

Soul Reaper
08-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
The majority of the bands that I listen to were intoduced to me by my dad.

ditto.

except for the porg bands

Dave's Bitch
08-03-2005, 08:50 AM
my fav that my mom listens to are

Whitesnake
Slade
Rainbow

Llama
08-06-2005, 06:03 AM
I listen to many of the same bands my dad is a fan of:

KISS
Queen
ELO
Status Quo
CCR

Coyote
08-06-2005, 07:17 AM
My mom listened to Queen, Elvis and Beethoven while expecting me.

My dad, however, was (and is) a "schlager-music"-type.