PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen San Francisco 9/15/82

Lou
03-12-2004, 09:08 PM
http://www.sharingthegroove.org/msgboard/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49444

Here's my attitude...if you don't like lossless sharing TOO FUCKING BAD. This will be another PERFECT copy distributed and not fucked in the ass with mp3 shit.

For those interested, ROCK ON!

Sarge
03-12-2004, 11:48 PM
no thanks.
Fuck that.
I would rather have mp3

Lou
03-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Then you're gonna miss out...your loss all because of this ridiculous allegiance to mp3. All you have to do is leave your computer on overnight and you'll have the show. Maybe one day you'll see the light.

Big Troubles
03-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Im kinda partial to mp3's too man. I dunno. I tried to download somebit torrent files and WHEN it finally finished I had trouble converting. I needed this, I needed that. Fuck it. Mp3's mean I dont need anything. ready to listen easy to burn.

Big Troubles
03-13-2004, 01:08 AM
besides, why is it that you dont like Mp3's??? I dont get it.

Lou
03-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Because they have literally fucked up a whole trading pool to the point where no one can get a clean copy of a VH show anymore, that's why.

In short, mp3's compress by removing frequencies above 16-17 Khz, making it a duller, flatter sound. And as if that wasn't bad enough, something about the conversion causes the tracks not to line up correctly when converted back to .wav for burning, so you have really
G-d damn annoying clicks, hiccups, blips, whatever you want to call them between tracks, which pretty much destroy the live feel of the show. If you don't mind listening to a show like that good for you, but I can't fucking stand that.

Thanks to mp3 shit, the VH trading pool is severely fucked up. Everyone's passing around inferior copies of shows and the people who actually care about quality are screwed. And the argument, "Well they're bootlegs, who cares, they won't sound perfect anyway" holds no water with me. I don't understand needlessly screwing up something that doesn't have to be that way, I don't care if it's a bootleg or not. There's no reason for it.

VH bootlegs aren't that easy to get to begin with, and now clean copies of shows are in the hands of the few. I'm lucky enough to have gotten in contact with a couple of people who still have some clean shows and I've been able to get them. Oh I have plenty more shows in shit mp3 format than what's on my trade list, but I'm not listing them. I only give out quality, and I only want quality in return.

So thanks to people valuing convenience over quality, perfect copies of certain shows are damn near impossible to get. Do you really like listening to a show with crap between EVERY SINGLE TRACK? Do you enjoy a dull sound? I don't. But thanks to the lackadaisical attitude of people in this community we're left with by and large SHIT copies of shows.

I sincerely mean this, if I had to choose I'll take one clean show over 100 mp3 shows. Because I can't listen to mp3 and enjoy it.

Bob_R
03-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks Lou! :)

philouze
03-14-2004, 05:47 AM
Well well well... I gotta say something !
I got a fuckin' slow connection (56k) so i have to say goodbye to your downloads, Lou.
I don't wanna spend 45 fuckin days to download a goddamn show. I sincerely hope that you can understand my point of view about that.
I honestly don't give a fuck about the compression rate, the fuckin clicks between the songs and so on.. 'Cause if u got a good burning software, you won't hear anyone of 'em.
But I'm not here to talk about burning softwarez.
I just wanted to say that, due to my slow connection, I cannot download any of the shows on sharingthegroove.
And u wanna know the best part ?
It truly pisses me off, lads !!!
And as I got nothing to trade, I'm kinda pissed off a lil' more !!!

BTW, nevertheless.

Dave's PA Rental
03-14-2004, 07:55 AM
philouze...I feel your pain, bro'. The shows at STG are not meant to be downloaded on anything less than DSL.

I was frustrated too by a slow connection. Im lucky to have a nice cable connection now.

It's not Lou's fault that bit torrenting sucks for you. He is passionate about the integrity of the music that gets passed around.

56k...wow. These pages here at the Army must take forever to load too.

Lou
03-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by philouze
I honestly don't give a fuck about the compression rate, the fuckin clicks between the songs and so on.. 'Cause if u got a good burning software, you won't hear anyone of 'em.

While I'm sorry to hear about your situation, this is entirely false. Mp3 almost all of the time cuts off fractions of audio that cause the tracks to line up incorrectly, and no burning software in the world is going to fix that. The only way you can "fix" it is using a wave editor to smooth things out and then re-index with a cue sheet (because if you don't do that you'll just introduce more clicks), but then it's not the same and never will be the same anymore.

When I was foolishly into mp3's a couple of years ago I was using Nero (is that good enough for you?) and I never, NOT ONCE, was able to burn mp3's and have perfect track transitions. And we're talking about maybe 25-30 shows.

philouze
03-14-2004, 11:49 AM
[quote]56k...wow. These pages here at the Army must take forever to load too.[quote]

That's right, dude !!!

[quote]While I'm sorry to hear about your situation, this is entirely false. Mp3 almost all of the time cuts off fractions of audio that cause the tracks to line up incorrectly, and no burning software in the world is going to fix that. The only way you can "fix" it is using a wave editor to smooth things out and then re-index with a cue sheet (because if you don't do that you'll just introduce more clicks), but then it's not the same and never will be the same anymore.

When I was foolishly into mp3's a couple of years ago I was using Nero (is that good enough for you?) and I never, NOT ONCE, was able to burn mp3's and have perfect track transitions. And we're talking about maybe 25-30 shows.[quote]

I cannot say you're wrong, Lou...
But I think that, for a lil' guy like me with a slow connection, mp3 (shit or not) is the best way 2 get music...

NE169
03-17-2004, 09:47 PM
I listened to it today--thanks Lou!!

Sarge's Little Helper
03-17-2004, 09:47 PM
I listened to it today--thanks Lou!!

<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'rotharmy@localhost' (Using password: YES) in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/admin/dbprefs.php</b> on line <b>52</b><br />

Jesus Christ
03-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Many would think that the Messiah would be opposed to these practices, but it is not so.

For as I hath said in the past, Do unto others as ye would have them do unto you. Give, and it shall be given unto you. And as the prophets hath said, music is a joyful noise unto the Lord.

So trade freely, My children. And ye may tell thy RIAA that ye hath My permission :)

ELVIS
03-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Mp3 is just fine for old noisy live boots...

I have never had trouble with clicks, hiccups, blips, burps, farts, or queefs when converting to wav.

if I had to choose, I'll take 100 mp3 shows over one clean show...

I understand and appreciate Bit Torrent technology.. but when I listen to a boot, I listen to the performance of the band. I could give a rats ass what the format is...

:elvis:

FORD
03-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Praise Jesus! I'm with the Lord all the way on this one :cool:

nutts
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Some are happy with hambergers , others only eat steak. The mp3's are just like analog with the generational quality. The closer to the 1st copy the better.