07-26-2005, 06:51 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/331532p-283284c.html

DJs were paid
to play that tune

Spitzer probe finds gigantic payola scam; Sony will pay $10M

BY KATE MEYER and ADAM LISBERG
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Sick of lousy songs on the radio?
Blame it on a corrupt record business that skews the Top 40 by giving free trips and other goodies to radio programmers - and cold cash to radio stations to play their artists, Attorney General Eliot Spitzer charged yesterday.

Big-name artists like Jennifer Lopez, Celine Dion and Good Charlotte got airtime on the radio because their labels gave away computers and trips to Las Vegas, according to telltale industry E-mails Spitzer uncovered - and revealed yesterday.

"Payola is pervasive. It reaches to the very top of the industry, on the radio side and the label side," Spitzer said yesterday as he announced the first settlement in his probe of pay-for-play in the music industry.

Sony BMG Music Entertainment agreed to pay $10 million to charity to settle Spitzer's charges.

But he has subpoenaed three other record companies - and said some record labels and radio stations are breaking the law - in what could be the biggest payola scandal since the 1950s.

"We are far along with the other three labels. We have received documents and are in conversations with them," Spitzer said. "This investigation began with the labels. We have obviously expanded out to the radio stations."

The sleazy deals were no surprise to music fans like Patricia Hatcher of Brooklyn, who was shopping at Tower Records in Greenwich Village yesterday.

"You could definitely tell that they were playing the same artists over and over again," said Hatcher, 25. "I assumed that something was going on. It's kind of shady all around."

E-mails and documents from Sony show it paid up to $1,000 to get a new song played on a single radio station, gave contest prizes to deejays instead of listeners, and even hired crews of callers to bombard stations' request lines, Spitzer said.

"Payola drives promotion," he said. "It limits the diversity of music that is on-air. It limits the access of artists to airtime, and hence their capacity to succeed."

Sony apologized for its improper conduct and promised to change its ways - and in exchange, sources said, Spitzer agreed not to identify any high-ranking Sony execs by name.

The only Sony employee to lose his job as a result was Joel Klaiman, an executive vice president at Sony subsidiary Epic Records, sources said.

Two radio chains also have fired programmers since Spitzer launched his probe.

Payola long has been a problem in the record business, and independent record promoters were once notorious for giving cash, drugs and prostitutes to deejays to get airtime.

Payola is a state and federal crime, but the Federal Communications Commission has levied just one $8,000 fine in the past decade - compared with the $550,000 fine for Janet Jackson's breast-baring Super Bowl show.

Spitzer said the FCC should look at stripping licenses from the worst radio stations - and an FCC commissioner jumped aboard.

"It's unfair to listeners if they hear songs on the radio because someone was paid off, not because it's good music," said Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein. "We need an ... investigation to determine whether these practices violate federal payola laws."

But the music business may have more to fear from bored fans than from angry regulators.

"They do overplay a lot of music," said Alina Kravchenko, 20, of the upper West Side, browsing in the Times Square MTV store. "I like Jessica Simpson, but even her stuff is overplayed. Sometimes it gets on my nerves. It gets so old that I turn to the Spanish station."

blueturk
07-26-2005, 07:16 PM
I forgot to put a dollar sign in the title.:o I hope nobody thought I meant Sony would pay 10,000,000 people.

Unchainme
07-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Typical the radio fucking sucks now-a-days. Think about it in Modern Music Now there are Only Hip-Hop, Bubble-Gum Pop, Emo, and Goth Metal, very Boring. Thats why I got to the Army to discover new and old music.

Soul Reaper
07-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Typical the radio fucking sucks now-a-days. Think about it in Modern Music Now there are Only Hip-Hop, Bubble-Gum Pop, Emo, and Goth Metal, very Boring. Thats why I got to the Army to discover new and old music.

there should be a rebellion. a counter culture. in-your-face and loud!!!

good idea, no?

more Rush, less mush...that's my motto

Unchainme
07-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
there should be a rebellion. a counter culture. in-your-face and loud!!!

good idea, no?

more Rush, less mush...that's my motto

Hell Yeah, Its just sad that Generation Y, is so badly brainwashed by MTV, and shitty rap, I Don't know maybe one day they'll be a band like The Who, This is what Generation Y need, No more shitty pop-hip-hop, They need a band like The Who.

Unchainme
07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
See this is the type of shit that kids are listening to.

Intro- 50 Cent]
You ready? OK let me wind you up
Do it exactly the way i say do it
man, these niggas are pussy, you heard me?
Get up nice and close (yeah!)

[Chorus- 50 Cent]
I put that battery in his back
I'm the reason why he move like that
That's my mu'fuckin toy Soldier
I tell him pop that gat, he gon' pop that gat
You dont wanna play wit my Toy Soldier
I say it's on, then it's on
Until ya life is over, Fuckin wit my Toy Soldier
If he's a casualty in war, trust me I got more
You don't want it wit my Toy Soldier

[Verse 1: 50 Cent]

This is so close, now follow instructions
Catch a nigga slippin, run up on him and buck him
I ain't got no conscience, them whores are nothin'
They ain't wit us, they against us, We supposed to touch em
Here's what to do if you see him approach me,
Pop that nigga, "I dont care if you know me.
Half the niggas hatin on me used to be homies
I don't trust em when they smile or when they frown, cause they foney
Everytime I come around they call the police on me
Thats why the D's in the precinct know me
They know 'bout my rap shit, they know bout how i clap people
I'm like I'm in a track meet, swift wit the mack , B
You could see the envy in they eyes fa sho mayne
Mad as a mothafucka that I'm holdin
See me in the back of the Phantom Rollin
Quick to make examples outta niggas fa sho man
Hold me down

Yeah, I say Rap died in 1995 when tupac and Biggie died now its just Hip-Pop, There are a absolutley no intelligent rap songs out there today, There all the same thing Being a "Pimp", drinking cristol, and shooting some guys in the ghetto, Now lets compare them to The Who

We’ll be fighting in the streets
We’ll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I’ll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Just like yesterday
Then I’ll get on my knees and pray
We don’t get fooled again

The change, it had to come
The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that’s all
We were liberated from the fold, that’s all
And the world looks just the same
And the world looks just the same
And history ain’t changed
And history ain’t changed
’cause the banners, they are flown in the next war
’cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
Just like yesterday
No, no!
No, no!

I’ll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I’ll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

There’s nothing in the streets
There’s nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
And the parting on the left

Are now parting on the right

And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday

Don’t get fooled again

No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Truly No contest The Who smoke Hip-Pop, Not only because the lryics are intelligent, also because Townshend and Daltery have talent, unlike Hip-Pop.

Soul Reaper
07-27-2005, 02:16 PM
all in favour of The Who and my bizzare idea say 'aye'!

Unchainme
07-27-2005, 02:30 PM

'aye!

Soul Reaper
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
any other 'ayes will be appreciated!

Terry
07-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Got a guy at work who listens to a top-40 station near me. Don't really have a problem with the format myself, although it's not my cup of tea stylistically. But in a three hour span, I heard the same Green Day song four times. Heard the same Usher song twice. Same Beyonce tune twice............................and it's the same shit on the rock stations as well. And even more annoying than the song repetition is the amount of air time these djs get to sit there and blather like some third-rate Don Imus. And this is on stations with a music format....not talk radio.

With the sheer amount of recorded music available out there, no reason to have song repetition, unless someone's getting paid to plug a particular tune.

BrownSound1
07-28-2005, 11:34 AM
I hope they bust this shit wide ass open. Fucking bastards.

Matt White
07-28-2005, 12:49 PM
TYpical. Total MacDonaldization of Western Culture.

Last_Child
07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
'Aye.
It's fucking everywhere....

Röyksopp's new single is on everyfucking minute!
Think I heard Three times in 1-2 hours...

Unchainme
07-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
TYpical. Total MacDonaldization of Western Culture.

That what it is, sadly. It's starting to become Like Floyd's classic Another brick in the wall". You know who I blame it on, Tupac and Cobain, When Cobain killed himself he killed Rock And Roll right along with him, because him and his fellow Grunge Rockers destroyed god Metal like Motley Crue, and Gn'R, and made Rock into writing songs about killing yourself and how your girlfriend left you so your going to kill yourself. When 2Pac got killed, Rap music also got killed along with him, See at least with Rap up to about 1995, they talked about legititmate issues (Public Enemy, NWA etc.) along with Fun Novelty Rap (MC Hammer, Will Smith.). Now you see with rap today its all about bitches and ho's and drinking cristol, and how its great living in the Ghetto, Its very marketable to white kids who can easily brainwawshed. Of course now a days its not about talent it whats marketable, Example : Backstreet Queers (No Offense Intended To Gays.) it's just depressing now.Maybe something will happen and Clear Channel and MTV will both go out of buisness, Oh what A happy that will be.

monkeythe
07-29-2005, 02:39 AM
The other crap they do to get songs played are the summer & christmas concerts the clear channel staions have where they play the artists that appear at their concerts while ignoring bands that won't waste their time on these mini-tours. That should be against some federal anti-trust law considering cc owns the radio stations, some of the arenas, & the promotion side of the concert as well

Big Train
07-30-2005, 11:28 AM
From what I hear, it was an inside job. The labels had traditionally used "indepenent promoters" to shield themselves from this shit. Then about 3 years ago, CC decided it would deal only with labels directly, very, very stupid. The game didn't change just the amount of people to grease (and it also temporarily lowered the cost of doing business). But the increase and liability and a whole slew of scumbags who now were pushed out of the loop and a career is what led to this.

They went to Spitzer and educated him. Where to look, who to talk to, what was typically being given. So know they are all fucked. I also think some of the label heads helped to "clean house"m to make sure it stuck on the radio side too. Sony paying 10 mil is a drop in the bucket compared to a KROQ LOSING their license.

That's the end game. But, in the end, nothing will change. Spitzer gets his hero pin and a run at governor, radio gets spanked a lil, labels spanked a lil and the indies get hired back (or a new generation take their place). Same ol', same ol'..

Hardrock69
07-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Like roaches. Kill some, there are millions of others to replace them.

Coyote
07-31-2005, 12:47 PM

'Aye, motherfuckkkerrr! :hitch:

NightProwler
07-31-2005, 12:52 PM
No one forces you to eat at mcdonald's.

Hardrock69
08-01-2005, 02:41 AM
And so I don't.