PDA

View Full Version : Oingo Boingo

Steve Savicki
07-26-2005, 11:07 PM
After seeing "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," I notice soundtrack composer Danny Elfman hasn't lost his Boingo punch when it came to the Mike Teavee oompa loompa track.

Made me think of the 80's. What were Boingo classified as?
Someone told me hard rock- nah, I don't think so. I usually associate that with glam rock which they weren't.
But they were more aggressive than just pop.
Regular rock with a keyboard like Night Ranger perhaps?

what waz zat
07-27-2005, 12:06 AM
A few of their tunes were bass, guitar, drums hard rock style. Most of their stuff had keyboards though. Sort of a new wave rock combo. They kind of had their own sound which is what them Oingo Boingo

FORD
07-27-2005, 01:05 AM
"New Wave" was for the most part a pointless label which critics applied to all sorts of music from punk to synth pop, but if I had to apply it to one band, it would probably be Oingo Boingo. They were a band unlike any other at the time or since. Definitely punk and ska influences in there, for sure, but added to that were factors that came strictly from Danny Elfman.

Songs like "Only a Lad", "Violent Love", "Who Do You Want To Be", etc. were among the best music of the era.

Redballjets88
07-27-2005, 01:07 AM
wanga tango

Redballjets88
07-27-2005, 01:07 AM
wango*

jero
07-28-2005, 04:51 AM
They made the titelsong for Weird science, with kelly le Brock. back in those days she was a chick!

fryingdutchman
07-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by jero
They made the titelsong for Weird science, with kelly le Brock. back in those days she was a chick!

Yeah...but then she had to ruin herself by nailing that hack Steven Seagal.

BTW....I would agree with Ford that if you ever to slap the "new wave" label on a band, it would be Oingo Boingo.

jero
07-28-2005, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fryingdutchman
[B] Yeah...but then she had to ruin herself by nailing that hack Steven Seagal.

Steven Seaugul?? What a waste of pussy