PDA

View Full Version : Blair denies row with wife over terror laws

BigBadBrian
07-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Blair denies row with wife over terror laws
By Jenny Booth, Times Online

http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,215491,00.jpg
Tony Blair today defended his wife after she made a speech criticising the effects of new anti-terror laws on human rights.

The Prime Minister dismissed suggestions that he was at loggerheads with Mrs Blair, a senior human rights lawyer, who warned yesterday that the Government's attempts to tighten security following attacks like the July 7 bombings in London must not be allowed to undermine the rights of citizens.

She said that clashes between the two priorities were inevitable in times of crisis. Judges played a "vital" role in protecting the public against executive power, she said, and she praised the law lords for overturning the Government’s policy of detaining terror suspects without trial last December.

Speaking to 2,000 lawyers, diplomats and academics in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, Mrs Blair urged the courts to continue to ensure that governments respected the rights of suspects in the international fight against terrorism.

"Nothing I say here could possibly be construed as making light of these horrific acts of violence, or of the responsibility imposed on the UK and other governments to keep the public safe," she said.

"At the same time, it is all too easy for us to respond to such terror in a way which undermines commitment to our most deeply held values and convictions and which cheapens our right to call ourselves a civilised nation. The Government, even in times when there is a threat to national security, must act strictly in accordance with the law."

She added: "In our troubled times, where terrorism, division and suspicion of others, are the order of the day, this role for judges is perhaps more vital than ever before."

Courts have to "act as guardians of the weakest, poorest and most marginalised members of society against the hurly-burly of majoritarian politics."

By contrast, at a Downing Street press conference yesterday Mr Blair showed his irritation over past decisions by the courts that have frustrated deportations and terrorism legislation. He particularly criticised the law lords’ rejection of the law that allowed terror suspects to be held indefinitely without trial.

He said that much of the world had dropped its guard against terrorism since the September 2001 attacks in the US. Those events had been a wake-up call but much of the world had quickly gone back to sleep.

He delivered a direct riposte to Lord Hoffman, the law lord who said in December that the real threat to the nation came not from "terrorism" but from detention law. Mr Blair said that he doubted "whether those words would be uttered now".

Welcoming the all-party consensus over legislation, he made clear that he expected the judiciary to uphold it. "The independence of the judiciary is a principle of our democracy. We have to uphold it but I hope that recent events have created a situation where people understand that it is important that we do protect ourself."

But at a press conference in 10 Downing Street today, Mr Blair insisted he was not embarrassed by his wife’s remarks.

"I think I have said myself that it is important that we balance these things - civil liberties for people," he said.

"It is very important to protect our way of life and it is important to protect our security. I think probably, to be fair, if you read the whole of the speech she was saying the same thing."

Link (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22989-1710767,00.html)

Cathedral
07-27-2005, 10:11 PM
He said that much of the world had dropped its guard against terrorism since the September 2001 attacks in the US. Those events had been a wake-up call but much of the world had quickly gone back to sleep.

Give Tony Blair a fucking lollipop, cause he nailed it with the above statement.

The moment Osama ceased to be the main objective, America started snoring again as well.

LoungeMachine
07-27-2005, 10:13 PM
AMEN TO THAT, CATH

Cathedral
07-27-2005, 11:22 PM
This hanging in the middle shit just sucks.

BigBadBrian
07-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral

The moment Osama ceased to be the main objective, America started snoring again as well.

But Nick says there is no Global terrorist network such as al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden is just a made up threat just to bolster Bush's ratings in the polls. Now which is it, you can't have it both ways?

Seshmeister
07-28-2005, 09:56 AM
If you're not going to watch the documentary BBB then you are going to cuntinue to sound ignorant.

Nickdfresh
07-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
But Nick says there is no Global terrorist network such as al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden is just a made up threat just to bolster Bush's ratings in the polls. Now which is it, you can't have it both ways?

You're not a very good reader reader, are you? Um, I don't recall ever saying that, neither does the documentary "The Power of Nightmares" in fact. Why don't you watch each episode, then tell us what you think?

Mr Grimsdale
07-28-2005, 04:04 PM
The real issue here is that Cherie Blair is borderline repulsive.

Nickdfresh
07-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
The real issue here is that Cherie Blair is borderline repulsive. http://www.crazylanka.com/cherieblairsmall.jpg

Oh crickey!:confused:

LoungeMachine
07-28-2005, 08:00 PM
She looks like the chick from Saturday Night Live

Mr Grimsdale
07-29-2005, 01:26 PM
She's a blaaaady human rights lawyer earning zillions for keeping half the terrorists in the country in the first place.

Seshmeister
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Mr Grimsdale London cabbie...:)

Mr Grimsdale
08-01-2005, 04:20 PM
HA!

Seriously, human rights lawyers will be first against the wall come the revolution.

Anyway the Italians do better human rights legal representation. Have you seen the woman representing Ali Akbar whatshis face in Rome?

I fookin' would.

There was this film of her climbing some steps wearing a tight skirt and heels over the weekend. I nearly spilt my pot noodle.

I mean, who would you rather come visit you in the cell block? A classy Italian lady or Cherie "this is my best smile" Blair?

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/ITALY_BRITAIN_BOMBINGS.sff_ROM105_20050730111546.j pg
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/ITALY_BRITAIN_BOMBINGS.sff_ROM104_20050730111246.j pg
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/ITALY_BRITAIN_BOMBINGS.sff_ROM103_20050730110804.j pg
Antonietta Sonnessa - I would, and make no mistake about that.

Seshmeister
08-02-2005, 11:11 AM
The worry with Italian bints though is that if you marry them they immediately put on 60 lbs and so do you and then you have walk about all day in a string vest shouting "Mama Mia".

Or so I'm told.

Mr Grimsdale
08-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Mama mia!