PDA

View Full Version : SWEET: Gargantuans of GLAM?

rustoffa
07-27-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm not going to bother with poignant detail and descriptions regarding songs, albums, people dying, etc.

Not my style.

I'll just bust out the usual, and if everything works out, intriguing input will flow like Katie Holmes' menstrual cycle.

"The Sweet" started out as a bubble gum band, got a little bit of control, and progressively evolved into one of the greatest Glam outfits of all time. If not THE BEST.

If you cuntsider the dynamics of "Little Willy" versus "Spotlight", these dudes were flipping the fuck out as the train rolled. One-of-a-kind harmonies and songs that stand the test of time.

"Desolation Boulevard" is one helluva record......I'll say it: UNDERRATED.

I mean, come on....how many times have you heard "Love Is Like Oxygen" and cuntemplated the human condition?

SWEET is one of those anomaly's....just grate.

FORD
07-27-2005, 10:33 PM
I got the original "Little Willy" single on Bell records, and I love it. (and the flip side "Man from Mecca" is considerably harder BTW, so they weren't all bubblegum back then.)

Got the original (US) Desolation Boulevard on vinyl and I still love that. - though I learned later that just like the Beatles, the Stones, and Ac/Dc, Sweet's albums were butchered by the record labels. Either Capitol releases a Sweet box set here soon, or I'm going to have to drop some serious cash on the imports.

If you listen to the original Ac/Dc lineup (Dave Evans era) or Quiet Riot's first album (no not Metal Health, you idiots) you can hear how influential Sweet was on artists who sound nothing like them in their later, and more famous work.

I'd say the BAND is underrated. Not just the album.

FORD
07-28-2005, 02:38 AM
Vintage Sweet video here

Little Willy (http://www.steve-p.org/pop/sweetlwi.avi)

Poppa Joe (http://www.steve-p.org/pop/sweetpj.avi)

LoungeMachine
07-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Thank you 'stoffa for alloing us closet SWEET fans to come out of the closet

Who here never played Fox on The Run or Ballroom Blitz at the high school talent show????

Matt White
07-28-2005, 03:15 AM
FOX ON THE RUN

Ahh....the 70's!!!:D

Panamark
07-28-2005, 04:10 AM
The Sweet Rocked !!

The tunes have held up well. Classic stuff..

Panamark
07-28-2005, 04:11 AM
Who would be glam contenders ?? Kiss, Gary Glitter, T-Rex ??

Slade ???

ThrillsNSpills
07-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Yep I've got the Little Willy single on Bell also. Lol

And a couple years ago I rediscovered them and found out that what we got in the states on the US Desolation boulevard was a reworked (best of) or sorts from the albums Sweet Fanny Adams and Desolation Boulevard, which were the original releases.

They had their bubblegum singles (written by Chapman/Chinn)and the flip sides were harder rock written by the band.
Fox on the Run was the first single that the band wrote and earned them independence from Chapman and Chinn.

the US desolation is incredible. Sweet FA is amazing stuff, as well as Solid Gold Brass, Set Me Free, etc.

Their albums were remastered on BMG from the original RCA with bonus tracks. There's a tune called Medussa from the original Desolation that never made it to an American release (it's brilliant)

It's just sad that their catalog isn't better represented in the US,

Big Fat Sammy
07-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Who would be glam contenders ?? Kiss, Gary Glitter, T-Rex ??

Slade ???

Not KISS...but the others for sure.

:)

Add early Rod Stuart, Mott and Bowie...who else?

I dig all that stuff.

diamondsgirl
07-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Great thread and I love the Sweet. Ballroom Blitz is one of my favorite tunes of theirs. Love the music and the lyrics. The intro is the best! :cool:

mewisemagic
07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Does"Hanoi Rocks"Fit In There Anywhere..I Loved,Boulevard Of Broken Dreams!

rustoffa
07-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
They had their bubblegum singles (written by Chapman/Chinn)and the flip sides were harder rock written by the band.
Fox on the Run was the first single that the band wrote and earned them independence from Chapman and Chinn.

There ya go. Fuck the machine, we don't need a cigar.

The manic vocal stylings on BLOCKBUSTER are killer.

"does anyone know the way?"

"...haven't got a clue..what to do!"

Redballjets88
07-28-2005, 11:54 PM
new york dolls ...and i love hanoi rocks just started listening to them this week but i have 2 of their cd's now looking to get a 3rd