PDA

View Full Version : Reviving middle-class values

BigBadBrian
07-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Reviving middle-class values
Suzanne Fields

http://www.townhall.com/graphics1/columnists/fields.gif

July 28, 2005

Mom reckoned that the decline of middle-class morality began with declining public fashion, with allowing children to wear flip-flops and cut-off jeans to school. She didn't advocate uniforms or strict dress codes, but she thought that how you dressed inevitably told a lot about your character. Like everyone else in her generation, she believed in appropriate dress for specific occasions.

If she were still alive today she would be turning over in her grave, as Yogi Berra would put it, at the sight of the newspaper photographs of the Northwestern University women's lacrosse players showing up in flip-flops to meet the president at the White House, even if the flip-flops were decorated with sequins or rhinestones, as the expensive ones are.

But she would have been pleased a few days later when Mr. and Mrs. John Roberts were introduced at the White House with their children dressed "prim and proper." Their son, Jack, looked like a little man in a summer seersucker suit with saddle shoes. His older sister, Josie, was decked out in a pretty yellow dress with lace-trimmed ankle socks and black patent-leather Mary Janes. The Washington Post fashion writer mocked the children as "costumed," but Mom -- and a lot of other grown-up women -- would have questioned the upbringing of a critic who never learned that clothes can sometimes speak louder than words.

Pop culture appeals to the lowest common denominator, and the "bourgeois values" of the middle class are always "dissed." This poses a problem for young people, black or white. That's one reason why the Clinton years offended so many of us, including Democrats, and why we cheered the news that George W. Bush, like other presidents before him, always wore his jacket in the Oval Office. (It's easier for a man to keep his pants on when he's wearing a jacket.) Respect, after all, is contagious. The appeal to the lowest common denominator is particularly damaging to kids in a black ghetto, where everything bourgeois is part of the "acting white syndrome."

Rapheal Adams, an outspoken black radio talk-show host in Cincinnati, notes how such attitudes encourage dysfunctional behavior. "Anything of value, that's 'white,'" he tells City Journal magazine, published by the Manhattan Institute, in an issue focused on black culture. "Standing with your pregnant girlfriend, that's 'white.' Staying away from gangs, 'white.' Wearing pants where they're supposed to be -- on your waist -- 'white.' 'We wear our pants below our butt line.' It is so sick."

He recalls that Medgar Evers, martyred in the cause of civil rights in 1963, always wore a suit, a white shirt and a tie, but that positive image was wiped out in the public imagination by the "Blaxploitation" movies of the 1970s and the gangsta culture that followed. Like most things in life, the dressing down, dumbing down, degrading down culture falls hardest on poor blacks. Many "leaders" who know better, Rapheal Adams argues, make matters worse. "The battle that should really be going on is against the enemy that looks like you -- the father who abandons his children, or rapes women, or sells drugs."

It's difficult to say such things without being accused of making common cause with racists. But 40 years and billions of dollars of government money have rarely put poor black kids on an equal footing with poor white kids because the problem begins at home. "They are not simply middle-class parents manque," writes Kay Hymowitz in City Journal magazine. "They have their own culture of child rearing, and -- not to mince words -- that culture is a recipe for more poverty."

Low-income black parents in this scenario read less to their children, discipline more forcefully by spanking and hitting, and engage in more limited conversations with them. Betty Hart and Todd R. Risley, along with a team of researchers, observed parents and children of three different economic classes in various activities, including eating dinner, watching television and merely hanging out, and found radical differences in vocabularies in the first years of the children's lives. Children of professors typically heard 2,150 different words in these years; working-class children heard 1,250 words, and children of welfare families only 620. In their book "Meaningful Differences," they write that welfare mothers are usually more distracted and "meaner" to their children.

The stress of economics obviously plays into these patterns, but philosophies of child rearing do, too. Having two married parents makes a big difference. Talking to babies is crucial. Emphasizing the importance of homework -- and checking on it -- is as significant for the teenager as toilet training for the toddler.

Bill Cosby caught a lot of grief for getting it right: "The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal." They need a belief in the middle-class motto on his sweatshirt: "Parent Power!" Mom would agree.

Link (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/suzannefields/sf20050728.shtml)

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Pretty soon the middle class will be gone all together, some think it's been gone for a long time.

The government has done everything wrong in this area because they get distracted by profits.
It just isn't profitable for them to give a fuck about anyone below their tax bracket.
Yet they wouldn't be in that tax bracket if not for those below it.

worldbefree
07-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
The government has done everything wrong in this area because they get distracted by profits.
It just isn't profitable for them to give a fuck about anyone below their tax bracket.
Yet they wouldn't be in that tax bracket if not for those below it.

I make a six figure salary and I feel like I'm part of the middle class. I can't imagine what it's like makeing 30-40k a year. Must be disheartening. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it must be like working in the manufacturing sector in the 21st century.

You have to give him credit, he's got big balls giving a speech in front of textile workers in NC touting CAFTA. I wonder what was really going thru the audiences mind.

There lack of respect for the working man and the fact that history shows that once politicians start interjecting religion into politics that the country is headed down the road to ruin.

I think I'm moving to New Zealand.

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I hear Aruba is nice. :)
If i left this country that is exactly where i would go, and i'd start a post card business.

Warham
07-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Just don't let your 18 year old daughter run around on the beach down there.

worldbefree
07-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Warham

One thing I could never understand about the Aruba investigation. Near the beginning someone made a statement, can't remember who, that how can this girl not be found, we are on an island for heaven's sake.

I guess they never heard of a boat and a couple of cement blocks. Probably never saw an episode of the Sopranos either.

knuckleboner
07-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Reviving middle-class values
Suzanne Fields

The appeal to the lowest common denominator is particularly damaging to kids in a black ghetto, where everything bourgeois is part of the "acting white syndrome."

[/URL]

what a hilarious style of writing.

wasn't it NWA that said, "fuck tha bourgeois?"...;)

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 05:12 PM

Yeah, that story is fucked up for sure.
But from what i have seen and read about Natalee, she put herself in a bad position in a strange land.

Nobody deserves what happened to her, but i can't help but get the impression that she was a bit of a loose girl.

She was into Joran, and the two brothers wanted some too but maybe Natalee didn't want to give them any...and it got ugly and out of control?
They wanted to pull a train on her, but she wasn't that loose and when she said no they raped her and it escalated into murder.

That's my theory, because the way her friends described her the day she went missing didn't make me think she was an innocent little angel.

It's sad, but her lack of judgement did contribute to what happened to her.
And Joran? That dickhead is so spoiled that he most likely didn't care what happened to her after he was done with her.

I have seen similar scenarios play out in my own circle of party friends, but it never led to murder.
There was one incident where a chick got so totally trashed she didn't seem to know who she was fucking.
But after she woke up naked next to the guy a few hours later she screamed Rape.
But we all saw how she basically jumped the guys bones all night, her aim was to just tease him....but she got too drunk.

You know that fucked the dude up psychologically too. He wasn't as drunk and thought it was cool, then she accuses him of raping her.

I don't trust women, and i've seen plenty of them put themselves in danger after having a few drinks.

And none of this changes my opinion of Aruba, it's still a beautiful place.

Warham
07-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Aruba, Jamaica...

Bermuda, Bahama...

come on pretty mama.

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 06:09 PM
LMMFAO, that's a cool little diddy................

kentuckyklira
07-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Morals suck!

I wish I was back in the 80s. I was banging any female between 15-30 that wasn´t up a tree at the count of three!

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 06:34 PM
That almost makes me ashamed to share the German heritage with you, almost.
18 to 30 maybe, but 15 is still a child, bro.

That's just sick.

Warham
07-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Now you know why some Europeans are de-evolving back to apemen.

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
LMMFAO, funny you posted that because i had a mental image of a dude carrying a club, looking for woman, ugh.

BigBadBrian
07-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kentuckyklira
Morals suck!

I wish I was back in the 80s. I was banging any female between 15-30 that wasn´t up a tree at the count of three!

And now you're pulling you're weinie at pictures in front of your computer because you can't even get a date. The mighty sure have fallen, huh? ;)

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
07-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Aruba, Jamaica...

Bermuda, Bahama...

come on pretty mama.

John Phillips

God I miss him:cool:

Warham
07-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
John Phillips

God I miss him:cool:

Ever meet him, by chance?

Cathedral
07-28-2005, 08:45 PM
And now you're pulling you're weinie at pictures in front of your computer because you can't even get a date. The mighty sure have fallen, huh? ;)

:gulp:

LMMFAO @ pulling your weenie...........priceless.

LoungeMachine
07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Ever meet him, by chance?

Yeah,
I thought we talked about that some time ago.

And Scott, too
But never met Terry Melcher

Never met Brian, but Mike Love is a fucking tool's tool

:rolleyes:

Warham
07-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure who actually DOES like the guy. I read somewhere that even Lennon and McCartney didn't like him, especially after that trip to India they all took in '68.

kentuckyklira
07-29-2005, 06:33 AM

:gulp: I´m fine and happy with my 19 year old girlfriend, thanks for your concerns!

How much tail have you been getting lately?

Warham
07-29-2005, 07:05 AM
What happens when you are 60 and can't get the nineteen year olds and can't get it up any longer? What's your motivation to live going to be then?

kentuckyklira
07-29-2005, 08:11 AM
What happens when you are 60 and can't get the nineteen year olds and can't get it up any longer? What's your motivation to live going to be then? Unless I get arthritis, I can still play my guitar. Plus, I can still go for a few beers with my friends.

I guess at 60 my mountainbike won´t be an alternative.

steve
07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Bush wearing his jacket in the Oval Office garners him respect?

So what about 3 months into his administration ...his first big news story was about him sitting in there reclining stuffing pretzels into his mouth.

While I don't disagree that the Monica Lewinsky thing tarnished Clinton's image with many, it was his "good ole' southern boy" appeal that won him both elections.

So much so, that Bush...who grew up in Connecticut...was picked to run BECAUSE he had made the contientious effort to pick up "good ole' southern boy" mannerisms during his campaigns.

The difference is, of course, that Clinton was and always will be the real deal in the 'goodoleboy' way (Bush will always be a phoney), while ironically being "whiter" (by this article's def. - elloquence and speaking ability...MENSA intellect, NYTimes crossword in 5 minutes, etc) than Bush ever could be.

Now...has Bush cheated on his wife with anybody but Condi Rice?...probably not.

But let's face it...Bush could rape a bus full of nuns in a retard parade while suicide bombing himself into a pack of cancer kids after screaming 'Star Wars Sucks!", and as long as he has the "Republican" label attached to him, people will vote for him.

It's that simple...nothing complex about it.