PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wants Monthly Debates

Ally_Kat
03-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Kerry Challenges Bush to Monthly Debates
By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

BOSTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, visiting the site of one of the most famous political debates in U.S. history, planned to challenge President Bush on Saturday to a "real discussion about America's future" in a monthly series of debates.

Kerry, already engaged in a running exchange of negative ads with Bush eight months before the November election, planned to deliver the challenge at the site of the historic Abraham Lincoln-Stephen Douglas debates in Quincy, Illinois.

That series of 1858 senatorial debates between Douglas and Lincoln, who lost the Senate election but won the presidency two years later, is legendary in U.S. political history for elevating crucial issues like slavery and states' rights to the front of the U.S. political agenda.

"Surely, if the attack ads can start now at least we can agree to start a real discussion about America's future," Kerry said in remarks prepared for delivery in Quincy, Illinois, later on Saturday.

Bush and Kerry have exchanged negative ads in the past few days, with Bush criticizing Kerry by name for planning to raise taxes and threatening to weaken U.S. security and Kerry firing back at his "misleading" accusations.

Kerry challenged the Republican president to monthly debates on the "great issues" of the day, including the war on terrorism, the loss of U.S. jobs and the plight of Americans without health care.

"2004 can't be just another year of politics as usual," Kerry said in the text. "The challenges we face are just too grave and too great.

"We confront big issues -- as big as any in our history -- and they call for a new and historic commitment to a real and informed exchange of ideas."

Quincy was the site of the sixth of seven Lincoln-Douglas debates in 1858, with 20,000 people - double the town's population -- gathering to hear the two men, who shared a river steamer to their next debate.

"Maybe George Bush and I won't travel on the same boat or the same airplane, but we can give this country a campaign that genuinely addresses our real issues and treats voters with respect," Kerry said.

After the Quincy rally, Kerry planned to travel to Pennsylvania and Ohio on Sunday as he continues appearances in states with upcoming primaries, even though he has clinched the Democratic nomination.

After a brief vacation next week, Kerry will embark on a 20-city fund-raising tour at the end of the month to try to close the cash gap on Bush, who had $100 million more on hand at the end of January. Kerry has raised more than $10 million on the Internet since he effectively clinched the nomination on March 2.

Ally_Kat
03-13-2004, 10:36 PM
yeah, cuz Bush has time to prepare each month for a new debate. Not like he has anyhting important to do, say like running the country.

BigBadBrian
03-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Kerry is a moron.

steve
03-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Tony Blair debates opposing politicians every single day on the issues facing his country - and in a forum where he is given ZERO time to prepare to answer questions.

Why can't G.W. do the same for one hour once a month?

Oh...that's right...because Bush no talk good. :) :) Bush say, "Me no read newspaper - Condi Rice tell me everything need know".

FORD
03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Kerry is a moron.

Well, then I guess it will be a debate between 2 morons then. Assuming the chickenshit chickenhawk shows up.

Pink Spider
03-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Will Ralph Nader and other third party candidates be able to debate this year? Of course not. The last Gore/Bush debates were a pre-scripted sham of a snoozefest.

Oh, and no one will debate. They'll just stand there for a hour agreeing with each other.

BigBadBrian
03-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Well, then I guess it will be a debate between 2 morons then. Assuming the chickenshit chickenhawk shows up.

Who, you and steve?

Pink Spider
03-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
yeah, cuz Bush has time to prepare each month for a new debate. Not like he has anyhting important to do, say like running the country.

If Shrub doesn't have time for a pre-scripted sham debate one hour a month then he should drop out of the race.

BigBadBrian
03-14-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Pink Spider
If Shrub doesn't have time for a pre-scripted sham debate one hour a month then he should drop out of the race.

I think you should drop out of these boards and come back with your real user name, E.S. :gulp:

lucky wilbury
03-14-2004, 11:40 PM
KERRY CHALLENGES BUSH TO DEBATES AFTER DECLINING DEM MATCH-UPS
Sun Mar 14 2004 18:02:01 ET

**Flashback**

Dem nominee-in-waiting John Kerry this weekend challenged President Bush to a series of monthly debates leading up to the November election.

But just weeks ago, Kerry declined a request to debate from rival John Edwards!

"I am proposing that we schedule four debates as soon as possible in different locations that work for all of us," Edwards said in a letter to Kerry on February 20.

Kerry's campaign quickly issued a statement saying he preferred to spend time "crisscrossing the country talking to as many voters as possible."

END

BigBadBrian
03-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury
KERRY CHALLENGES BUSH TO DEBATES AFTER DECLINING DEM MATCH-UPS
Sun Mar 14 2004 18:02:01 ET

**Flashback**

Dem nominee-in-waiting John Kerry this weekend challenged President Bush to a series of monthly debates leading up to the November election.

But just weeks ago, Kerry declined a request to debate from rival John Edwards!

"I am proposing that we schedule four debates as soon as possible in different locations that work for all of us," Edwards said in a letter to Kerry on February 20.

Kerry's campaign quickly issued a statement saying he preferred to spend time "crisscrossing the country talking to as many voters as possible."

END

algore thought he could beat Dubya in debates also. He didn't though. :gulp:

FORD
03-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Yeah, keep repeating that lie :rolleyes:

Cathedral
03-15-2004, 02:09 PM
I have no problem with Bush and Kerry debating once a month. I encourage it as a matter of fact.
Yeah he's busy being President but if he wants to continue that job i think it is his duty to meet the competition head on in a neutral forum.

And Ford, I watched Gore debate W. and Gore got his ass handed to him on a Bush Banner.
Although in the beginning Gore put up a good fight, he almost had me convinced that he should be President...but just for a minute, lol.

No debate will favor the Liberal when it is the whole Democratic platform that is the problem with the party.

Bush will make lunch of Kerry as well...

BigBadBrian
03-15-2004, 03:34 PM

You obviously didn't watch them then. Dubya stomped algore's ass. :gun:

ELVIS
03-15-2004, 03:35 PM

Lock box

Cathedral
03-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Elvis, you came very close to a Hagarism there, lol...