PDA

View Full Version : Republican Senate leader snubs Bush on stem cells (Is today April 1st)

worldbefree
07-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Republican Senate leader snubs Bush on stem cells
07/28/2005 @ 11:46 pm

WASHINGTON, July 28 - In a break with President Bush, the Senate Republican leader, Bill Frist, has decided to support a bill to expand federal financing for embryonic stem cell research, a move that could push it closer to passage and force a confrontation with the White House, which is threatening to veto the measure, the New York Times reports Thursday. Excerpts follow. Will run free edition when available.
#

Mr. Frist, a heart-lung transplant surgeon who said last month that he did not back expanding financing "at this juncture," is expected to announce his decision Friday morning in a lengthy Senate speech. In it, he says that while he has reservations about altering Mr. Bush's four-year-old policy, which placed strict limits on taxpayer financing for the work, he supports the bill nonetheless.

"While human embryonic stem cell research is still at a very early stage, the limitations put in place in 2001 will, over time, slow our ability to bring potential new treatments for certain diseases," Mr. Frist says, according to a text of the speech provided by his office Thursday evening. "Therefore, I believe the president's policy should be modified."

Mr. Frist's move will undoubtedly change the political landscape in the debate over embryonic stem cell research, one of the thorniest moral issues to come before Congress. The chief House sponsor of the bill, Representative Michael N. Castle, Republican of Delaware, said, "His support is of huge significance."

http://rawstory2.com/admin/dbscripts/printstory.php?story=169

LoungeMachine
07-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Will he be diagnosing stem cells from vidoe tape on the Senate floor?

seriously, good for him.

'bout time

worldbefree
07-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Will he be diagnosing stem cells from vidoe tape on the Senate floor?

seriously, good for him.

'bout time

I agree. But the most likely reason for a about face is it's his last hope of any chance at winning the presedential nomination in 2008.

academic punk
07-29-2005, 05:29 PM
exactly.

and so begins the lame duck presidency...

Nickdfresh
07-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Nancy REAGAN will say nice things about him as well...

Big Train
07-30-2005, 12:33 AM
You guys are hilarious...Republicans can either only be "Lock-step" or having a president who is a
"Lame Duck". When your "Lame Party" gets an idea or some motivation to actually do something, we will talk.

BigBadBrian
07-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
exactly.

and so begins the lame duck presidency...

This comment betrays your stupidity.

:gulp:

Nickdfresh
07-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

You're right. He should know it's been a lame duck presidency.

Big Train
07-30-2005, 02:25 PM
If by lame duck you mean that he has bascially gotten everything that he wanted...then I concur.

Nickdfresh
07-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
If by lame duck you mean that he has bascially gotten everything that he wanted...then I concur.

Ha ha! Like Social Securty "reform." This president is getting owned while the Republicans control congress. It's only going to get worse.

Big Train
07-30-2005, 03:10 PM
He will get it or another republican will get it done. All this thumb up the ass Democratic sitting will get them nowhere. THey just continue to be the party that does nothing, thinks nothing but represents the "alternative". Thank God the unions are starting to wake up. I predict a lot more changing of alliegence in the coming months. Perhaps an actual viable party will show up soon to actually do some work.

Warham
07-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Democrats will attack Bush until 2008 (he's not running!), leaving themselves with their pants down and holding their ankles. They are playing right into the RNC's hands.

Cathedral
07-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Democrats will attack Bush until 2008 (he's not running!), leaving themselves with their pants down and holding their ankles. They are playing right into the RNC's hands.

You speak the truth, sir...

Though Bush is losing tons of support, it won't make anyone vote for a Democrat next time around as most Republicans are straight party voters.

I'm stuck in a hole because though i am not happy with the current administration and question it's actions, I can't even think of supporting a Democrat.

And since there isn't anyone worth a fuck in the Green Party, I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Nickdfresh
07-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Warham

You guys keep on attacking CLINTON, and he's been out of office five years now, right?

Warham
07-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, but see, it doesn't hurt us! :D

academic punk
07-30-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

And this next one betrays my feelings towards you:

Fuck yourself.

academic punk
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
A second-term president who is saying his own party members begin to divide themselves from his stances because they are beginning to think beyond his term and towards their own ambitions IS why the term "lame-duck" exists.

It happened to Clinton, it happened to Reagan (especially), and now it's beginning to happen to W.

It has nothing to do with my party affiliaition (especially as how I'm a registered Independent), though this news (both his divide from W.'s policies and for the news towards stem cell research) does make me happy.

And of course Dems will attack Bush until he's out of office...you're still attacking Clinton five years after his term ended!! Besides, SHOULDN'T the Dems voice their disagreements with policies that they themselves wouldn't adopt?

I don't get it. All through the last elction all we heard is that "Dems don't stand for anything", now you're bitching that they are??

HUH????

BigBadBrian
07-31-2005, 09:11 AM
And this next one betrays my feelings towards you:

Fuck yourself.

:D

Score one for Triple B, I see. ;)

Big Train
07-31-2005, 11:11 AM

I don't get it. All through the last elction all we heard is that "Dems don't stand for anything", now you're bitching that they are??

HUH????

All I'm saying is that Dems stand for nothing and sit for everything. Sandbagging is fine. I get it. Not offering ANY alternative solutions, a job they are paid to do, is not acceptable. With the John Kerry's of their party leading the way, look where it leaves them...nowhere.

Nickdfresh
07-31-2005, 01:39 PM
All I'm saying is that Dems stand for nothing and sit for everything. Sandbagging is fine. I get it. Not offering ANY alternative solutions, a job they are paid to do, is not acceptable. With the John Kerry's of their party leading the way, look where it leaves them...nowhere.

Well, you have a point there. It's time for Democrats to stop reacting to bullshit like cred. on security issues and focus on a more proactive agenda and leadership.

FORD
07-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Well, you have a point there. It's time for Democrats to stop reacting to bullshit like cred. on security issues and focus on a more proactive agenda and leadership.

Our party stands at the crossroads, but the right leader can take it from there......
http://www.ofb.net/~epstein/sl/04/20040108-howard-dean.jpg

BigBadBrian
07-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Our party stands at the crossroads, but the right leader can take it from there......
http://www.ofb.net/~epstein/sl/04/20040108-howard-dean.jpg

That looks about right...he doesn't know which way he's going.

Big Train
08-01-2005, 03:01 AM
Ford,

That's great and all, but exactly WHEN is your boy gonna get of his high n mighty ass and DO something? The world is waiting for his genius...ya know, like TODAY..

FORD
08-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Ford,

That's great and all, but exactly WHEN is your boy gonna get of his high n mighty ass and DO something? The world is waiting for his genius...ya know, like TODAY..

I realize the corporate whore media doesn't report it, unless there's a soundbite they can distort hysterically, but the fact is that Dr. Dean has been travelling to every state in this country, one by one and meeting with real people, to prove his committment to the 50 state strategy he promised.

The DLC assholes who had previously controlled the party through Terry McUseless only campaigned in the solid "blue states" and couldn't give a shit about the rest of the country.

But "blue states" and "red states" are an illusion. Every state is purple. Even Utah. Even California. Granted there are several shades of purple. And some of them shift back and forth depending on factors. Not the least of which could be the difference between a party that listens to their concerns rather than ignores them. Or in the case of the BCE, tells them what their concerns are (i.e. gay terrorists having abortions)

The people chose Howard Dean to lead this party because we knew he was committed to this country. Not just the corporate world. Or the East Coast whatever.

I'm hoping Tuesday brings another DFA success story in Ohio.

Warham
08-01-2005, 09:56 AM
The Democrats will never win the South. ;)