PDA

View Full Version : Mlb 2004

wraytw
03-14-2004, 09:03 AM
I mean, the Yankees are going to win it all, everyone knows that. ;)

Lou
03-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Here in Philadelphia, there hasn't been this much anticipation for a baseball season in over 20 years...new ballpark, solid 1 through 5, overall solid lineup (gotta cut down on the K's though)...if they don't win the division it will be a major disappointment.

POJO_Risin
03-14-2004, 03:12 PM
The Yanks winning it all...

of course they have the ballplayers to do it...top to bottom...on paper...the best in the league offensively...

but let's look at a couple of things...

1. Their defense will be poor...and...

2. Their pitching staff may or may not be solid...

I like Vazquez a lot...but look at Weaver...same type of situation...good hitters part to a good pitcher's park...and freakin' Weaver folded like an Ed Whitson clone...

and their relief corp is still a question...

look at Contreras as a sleeper though...

Bob_R
03-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by wraytw
I mean, the Yankees are going to win it all, everyone knows that. ;)

:baaa:

ALinChainz
03-14-2004, 03:23 PM
They picked up Gabe White, Paul Quantrill and Flash Gordon who will make much better set-up men than they had last season in getting the game into Rivera's hands.

Weaver never could quite live up to the billing his draft status. He was the supposed ace for the Tigers. The Yanks took a shot, then shipped him off to the Dodgers for Kevin Brown. Jon Lieber has pitched well in his return this spring. He along with Mussina, Vasquez, Contreras, and the re-aquired El Duque, the pitching should be solid. The Yanks should have enough.

POJO_Risin
03-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Well...again...I like looking on the other side of the coin when it comes to the Yankees...

they look good on paper...like I said...but here's what you got...

Mike Mussina...great pitcher...maybe not a number 1 at this point...but a great pitcher...

Kevin Brown...badass when healthy...which is 1/2 the time if you're lucky...

Vazquez...I think this guy could be the best pitcher in baseball as time progresses...not this year...but he'll be more than an adequate replacement for Clemens...

Lieber...I like Lieber...and as a 4...awesome if he holds up...

Contreras as a 5...WOW...although I think he'd pitch better at the top of the rotation...but he won't unseat any of those guys...

Now...playing Devil's advocate here...they have age and injury issues...only one of those guys is under 32...and all have shown injury problems...will they hold up? If one goes down...it could be a chain reaction as more pressure is placed on the others...

now...that's not to say they won't go out and pick apart another team to fix it...

I agree with your assessment of their pen...I think they have vastly improved their team...with great players...the question is...with the age of the staff...will they be overworked...and will Rivera hold up for the season?...

ALinChainz
03-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Seems like the Yanks are built like this every year now, so it doesn't ever look like they build for the future. They are definitely in the "win now" mode as usual.

I'll agree on the injury issue, especially to the starting staff. But the Yanks never sit still if a need arises. I saw on ESPN this morning about the Red Sox are getting anxious to get Pedro signed to an extension, for fear the Yanks would snag him from them.

I know shoring up the middle relief pitchers was done with exactly that in mind, keeping Rivera down to the one inning stint.

The prices they were getting for seats to the 1st spring training game they played was insane. Will be a good race. And baseball will push everything it can to get everyone on the upcoming season and off the steroid story.

POJO_Risin
03-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Well...the Yanks can obviously load up every year...they must snicker every time a "star" signs with a midmarket team...

knowing at some point soon...they'll be able to "take him off their hands"....

What can you do man...what can you do...

Polk High
03-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Lets go Mets. I hope reyes isn't seriously injured

Dave IS VH
03-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Fuck the Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave IS VH
03-16-2004, 12:57 AM
GO TWINS and all the other Small markets/with small pay roll teams!!!!!!!!!!! :) :cool:

POJO_Risin
03-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Every year....I think you'll see a small market team get there...and then disappear....just the realities of today's game...

you have a select three or four that will just have more talent then everyone else...

and a team that overachieves...ie Florida and Anaheim...

Dave IS VH
03-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Yeah, it was a breath of fresh air, when the Yankees lost the last couple of years.

I just get sick of the Yankees, because of their payroll it's unfair for the rest of the teams!!!!!!!

It's good for MLB when teams like Florida, Anaheim, Chi cubs, and MN Twins win....

Nothing against Yankee fans, but the Yankees are a poison to Baseball.

Some kind of Salary cap should come into play to make it fair for all teams.

The Yankees will win it all this year thew, they are due!!!!!

ALinChainz
03-17-2004, 01:48 PM
You'd think they way the NFL thrives with the salary cap, that the other leagues would do what they could to copy it.

Parity can be a good thing. Gives teams hope every year. You can be 4-12 one season and the Super Bowl champs next.

Hope the NHL gets it right this off season.

Roth & Roll
03-17-2004, 05:14 PM
GO ANSKY BABY!!

I was worried about the defense too - until A-Rod was added to the infield and Soriano was subtracted. Obviously A-Rod's bat will do damage, but to me his glove will be even more important to the Yanks success - especially since guys like Kevin Brown, Paul Quantrill, and Mo Rivera rely on groundballs for outs.

Roth & Roll
03-17-2004, 05:56 PM
......and hey, if injuries kick in they've still got that blue-chip prospect down on the farm....

Dave IS VH
03-19-2004, 01:33 AM
That is what's wrong with Pro Sports today money, strikes, and bringing big business into sports.

Owners wanting to relocate teams, players holding out for more money, strikes, and high ticket prices makes pro sports look bad.

Pro players are making millions and millions of dollars, while police, fire fighters, teachers, and hard working men and women are busting our asses for Medium wage.

Bob_R
04-08-2004, 03:51 PM
The Yankees won their home opener! :) :bananna: :killer:

Ally_Kat
04-08-2004, 11:50 PM
Gotta love Yankees home opener! :hula:

High Life Man
04-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Ahhh...it felt so good to be over .500.

No more...

Fucking Brew Crew...

BITEYOASS
04-16-2004, 12:22 PM
I'll be alone on this one, TIGERS ALL THE FUCKIN WAY!!!

High Life Man
04-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Wait!

The Brewers back over .500!

Life is good!

And a good way to pad post count. :D

POJO_Risin
04-17-2004, 01:35 AM
lmfao...good to see my Tribe not completely sucking the whole year...

of course...it's early...

Bob_R
05-04-2004, 10:39 AM
The Yanks have reeled off 6 wins in a row to climb within a game of the Red Sox. Maybe that Japan trip threw them for a loop. Or, do you think the Yanks will be inconstitent this year?

High Life Man
05-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
Or, do you think the Yanks will be inconstitent this year?

Yes. Pitching will kill them.