PDA

View Full Version : Questions about moving to L.A.....

The Scatologist
07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone here know anything about moving to L.A.?

I'm seriously considering it at the moment, but I don't know jack shit about it.

I mainly want a better enviroment for the kind of music I play.

It's so hard to find hard working serious musicians who don't look like a fucking tree when playing here.

It's ridiculous, all the people my age are into crappy death metal and emo and shit. Most of the people older then me either put me down and say i'm too young even though they can't play for shit, or just plain hate me because i'm extroverted and shit. (Funny that it's always the old failed musicians who hate me, everyone else seems to love me)

Hell, going through bands and shit since 16, the only real musician I found was a drummer, who i'm jamming with right now.

What I really need is a bunch of guys who look like bad asses playing music that sounds like it's being played by bad asses.

Also, anyone know any other places that have a good rock scene going on?

Also,

What's the rent like? Is it hard for a long haired guy to get a job there? What's the average pay for a shitty job there like? etc etc.

blonddgirl777
07-29-2005, 07:13 PM
I posted that story of mine many times but I don't know if you've read it?

I can P.M. you to tell you about my husband and I moving from Montreal, Canada to L-A, back in 1992... for his music career.

His user name on this site is "Dr. Rythm" (he's a drummer) and feel free to P.M. him with any questions you may have, since he's been through what you're contemplating, before.

L-A might not be the perfect place for your dream...

I gotta go for now, but I'll fill you in!

The Scatologist
07-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Any idea how hard it would be for a 19 year old to pretty much just go there on his own?

I wanna like know about housing costs etc etc etc.

It would pretty much be like Axl Rose in the Welcome to the Jungle opening if I do it.... lol.

But I can survive in pretty bad conditions.

Brett
07-29-2005, 11:26 PM
The rock scene is So Cal is nothing to get excited about.

LA is one of the most-expensive cities in the world to live in, so I hope you plan to have a real job and a car to get around, or you're going to have a very hard time here.

The Scatologist
07-30-2005, 08:08 AM
What city has a decent rock scene at the moment?

academic punk
07-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
What city has a decent rock scene at the moment?

Honolulu.

Fine, don't believe me.

Thorman
07-30-2005, 12:05 PM

I'm seriously considering it at the moment, but I don't know jack shit about it.

It's so hard to find hard working serious musicians who don't look like a fucking tree when playing here.

It's ridiculous, all the people my age are into crappy death metal and emo and shit. Most of the people older then me either put me down and say i'm too young even though they can't play for shit, or just plain hate me because i'm extroverted and shit. (Funny that it's always the old failed musicians who hate me, everyone else seems to love me)

Hell, going through bands and shit since 16, the only real musician I found was a drummer, who i'm jamming with right now.

What I really need is a bunch of guys who look like bad asses playing music that sounds like it's being played by bad asses.

Also,

What's the rent like? Is it hard for a long haired guy to get a job there? What's the average pay for a shitty job there like? etc etc.

Who do you think you are?? Mick Mars? Lose the dard done by rock attitude dude....Get your ass down to Cabo and jam with the Man

BAM

The Scatologist
07-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Thorman, do you want to suck my dick? I know you want to. I'll let you suck it for $20 k?

Hardrock69
07-30-2005, 04:31 PM
L.A. is not expensive compared to Hawaii. If The Scat lives in Hawaii, he should be used to the high cost of living.

1. The real thing is, can you handle a high-stress environment. Over a period of time, the traffic, crime & smog can get to ya in subtle ways.

2. There are 50,000 other mofos all trying to make it happen in L.A. as well. Unless you really have something special, you will find it very difficult.

Are you a guitarist? Those have the most difficult time of all. Bassists are in demand everywhere, as are good vocalist/frontmen. Guitarists are a dime-a-dozen, can be found sleeping in cardboard boxes on the sidewalk, and even then might be able to play better in a drunken, heroin-induced stupor than you could on your best night.

I moved to L.A. in 1991. Lasted for 18 months. Had a job that paid 10 bucks an hour, which is not even minimum wage out there. Auditioned for many bands. The ones that were lame wanted me really bad. The ones that had something going for them would not return my calls, except to say that I was too tall (6'7") or too old (hell I was only 30 at the time).

Luck will play a serious part in your experience. That and networking, or being in the right place at the right time, and running into the right people who are in the right mood.
You might run into some record company asswipe who might accept a demo from you if he is in a good mood, or might tell ya to fuck off if he is not. And there are sharks everywhere that will ask you to sign your life away in exchange for promises and nothing more. They prey on peeps just like you, moving there in search of a piece of fame and stardom.

Concentrate on your songwriting if you want to make it in the biz. Get in tight with music publishers.
Publishing is where the real money is at. And being a songwriter does not require you to look like God or have the perfect Rockstar attitude, the right gear, or the right stage presence.

Be sure if you do move, that you have enough money to buy a car with insurance and tags that will pass smog inspection. That is the single most important thing you can have out there. That way too if you should wind up homeless, you will have a place to crash. I would suggest a full-size van. That way you have plenty of room, are protected from the elements, and you can haul your band gear around.

If you want a decent shot at surviving, do not move there with less than $5,000 bucks. Unless you have friends you can stay with when you get there, or have a DEFINITE job lined up.

I had a job lined up....when I moved out there I found out they were full of shit.

Anyone else who reads this can add more details. A lot of what I have just written may be true, but it is also a bunch of generalized common sense.

SO anyway, if you go, good luck.

Roth & Roll
07-30-2005, 04:32 PM

Also,

On behalf of Eddie and Fabulous Shadow, welcome to the neighborhood....

blonddgirl777
07-31-2005, 12:31 AM
Everything those guys said about surviving in L-A and succeeding in the music business is very true...

As I wrote above... I've been there...

Whenever I hear:
"...You know where you are?... You're in the jungle baby, and you're gonna die!!!..."
It reminds me of exactly how we felt at that time.

I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what to do, or where to go to make things happen but I sure know that L-A is very hard to handle, if you don't have a lot of money.

I know that it hasn't change because I still have a friend living there that I sometimes visit.
I will actually be on a California trip, from Aug. 10th to the 18th.

California is great but very competitive (in everything).

After living in L-A for a year, we decided to move up to S-F, wich was more our kind of city and a little more affordable.
Totally different attitude in people.

It was an experience I will never forget!!!

You should definately pursue your dream (wherever you end up living) but I think it is also good to have a "plan B"...

Good luck!

Nitro Express
07-31-2005, 03:00 AM
The question you must ask yourself is do you want to make a living playing music? Most people I know who are happy and successful never started out trying to be rich. Nope, most persued what they loved, worked their asses off, and found a way to make a living doing it. Some made big money others haven't but they are happier than the ones with money who hate their jobs.

Music is great art but if you are doing it for a living, you must also view it as a business. So that means you must look at what's selling. All I know is some of the new great bands like Los Lonely Boys never went to LA to be discovered. They got their big break in Texas from Wille Nelson.

You know how many big people go to Hawaii? I say stay there and be the hottest thing in town in Honolulu. Fuck. You have everyone in the world comming there on vaccation.

Personally, LA is a "has been" city and the 80's were a long time ago.

Cathedral
07-31-2005, 03:33 AM
Try putting an ad in the paper where you are first.
The best scenario is to get started there and then work your way out of that town.

Unless you are a virtuoso, Cali would make things a bit more difficult for you if you go it alone.
And it is damn expensive to live there.

But most of all, you have to do what is really in your heart to do.
I wouldn't want to tell you not to do something that may keep you from reaching your destiny.
It's a tough business to get into, a hell of a lot harder than when i was jammin' for a living.

Just try to avoid moving to a strange land unless you have a set plan, and then execute it day 1.

Take a vacation to wherever you want to go, stay a week and look at living quarters and the job scene so you know for sure what the right move for YOU would be.

It's always better to be prepared, it helps keep one from falling on their face.

Best of Luck to Ya!

The Scatologist
07-31-2005, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
The question you must ask yourself is do you want to make a living playing music? Most people I know who are happy and successful never started out trying to be rich. Nope, most persued what they loved, worked their asses off, and found a way to make a living doing it. Some made big money others haven't but they are happier than the ones with money who hate their jobs.

Music is great art but if you are doing it for a living, you must also view it as a business. So that means you must look at what's selling. All I know is some of the new great bands like Los Lonely Boys never went to LA to be discovered. They got their big break in Texas from Wille Nelson.

You know how many big people go to Hawaii? I say stay there and be the hottest thing in town in Honolulu. Fuck. You have everyone in the world comming there on vaccation.

Personally, LA is a "has been" city and the 80's were a long time ago.

The #1 reason I wanna go to a place like L.A., is not to be discovered, but to find people to play with who have attitude and stuff.

I don't wanna sound like a ass or anything, but like 99% of the people in bands here are the kind who are into death metal and shit and try to be tough, but end up looking like dorks because they don't know how to move around and stuff.

I'm the kind of guy that runs around playing ripping guitar who just doesn't give a fuck. It's not like i'm always running around like a retard, but I never stop moving. That's what a lot of people don't get.

When you look at a true virtuoso at any instrument, they are constantly in motion. They play their instument with their whole body. Yes, there are people that can play extremely well and just stand there, but isn't that more like their instrument is playing them instead of the other way around?

blonddgirl777
07-31-2005, 03:07 PM
ON THE OTHER HAND...

Maybe, moving to L-A is something you must do.
Maybe, it is part of your "lifeplan" and that it is an experience for you to live...

I mean, if that's what you really want... try it!
But KEEP AN OPEN MIND:

That experience might turn into something completely different than what you're expecting (good or bad).

EX:
My husband was only one track minded about his own plan, despite of all the negative input around us... we moved.
He didn't becaume the famous/rich drummer he wanted to be but now he can say that he tried his best and has
NO REGRETS.

If he would have denied his instincts, he might still regret it to this day!

Plus, we have good experience's memories and have made awesome
friends that we still keep in touch with...

One was a drummer as well (with the same goals) but a way more agressive approach.
He didn't turn out cashing in with his band, but he now works as a sound technicien for movies and makes
shit loads of $$$.
Coming from Connecticut, he always wanted to get into surfing and now he does, almost everydays.
He is happy.
As far as finding a serious girlfriend... that's another story!

The other one had a bachelor in directing movies but couldn't find enough work in that, to survive.
One day on a set, she met the man of her life (how happens to be rich) and now lives with him and their 2 kids.
She is happy.

As for us...
We struggled for 1 year and decided it was not what we wanted in life.
We where NOT happy...
What came out of it, is a lot of strenght in the couple and now, when we look back, we say:
"If we could survive L-A, we can survive anything" and we do!

What I'm trying to tell you, is that a "moving to L-A" experience might turn out to anything, and that you should
be prepared to experience what life will throw at you, while working your ass off to acheive your goal.

And after all, if it doesn't turn out into what you want, or can't handle it...
You can always fly back home (or anywhere else)!

You are still young and have plenty of time to experiment, so I say: Go ahead, try it now...
Because the worst thing in life, is to have REGRETS like "I should have, I could have" etc...

Anyways, do what YOUR heart tells you to do and if you do, get to move...
Start saving your $$$ now, and again:

"Good Luck"!!!

BenJammin
07-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Some motivational quotes for you Scat (please excuse any cheesiness, just trying to help). Good luck.

"The future depends on what we do in the present" - Mahatma Gandhi

It was a high counsel that I once heard given to a young person, "Always do what you are afraid to do." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are still masters of our fate.
We are still captains of our souls.
-Winston Churchill

"No balls, no blue chips" -anon

"Just Do It" - Nike

blonddgirl777
08-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry... just trying to get rid of the big ugly thread (by bumping this one)...