PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here from Ohio's 2nd congressional district?

FORD
07-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Paul Hackett for Congress, Ohio, District 2
by Meghan Gaffney, Paul Hackett for Congress

http://www.actblue.com/images/entities/8454.gif
A Message from Paul

This is a crucial time for America. The issues we now face and how they’re resolved will have a lasting impact on us, and our children.

I’m running for Congress because I know I can make a difference in Washington. I grew up right here in southern Ohio, steeped in our American values. Now I’m raising a family here. I understand what’s at stake for my neighbors and people all across America. I won’t sit on the sidelines and watch politics as usual take us in the wrong direction.

I recently returned from Iraq as a Major in the US Marines Corps. I volunteered to go. I had been honorably discharged from the Corps in 1999 but I couldn’t just sit by and watch what was happening over there when I knew I could contribute. After I had been in Iraq for two months I volunteered again—this time to go to Fallujah. Religious fanatics and insurgents had seized the city. They had to be stopped. A civil government had to be restored.

My wife and three kids didn’t want me to go to Iraq. But they understood my commitment to service and they knew that I had to do everything I could to support my brothers and sisters in arms. It was my responsibility to serve. Now the vacant seat from Ohio’s 2nd District presents a unique opportunity for me to continue to fulfill my obligation to this country, and to you.

I’m ready to take your fight to Washington. I’m ready to take a stand on the issues that matter most to us, like keeping American jobs at home, protecting our Social Security benefits, making good healthcare accessible to everyone, and, of course, bringing the war in Iraq to a swift and secure resolution.

We’ve won the primary, but the toughest battle lies ahead. Let’s not squander the exceptional opportunity we now have before us. Let’s stop arguing about who’s red and who’s blue. Let’s do all we can do for a stronger red, white, and blue.

Support my candidacy for U.S. Congress. Join us in our fight for a brighter future for all Americans. Together we can put things right. All we need is the will to do it.

Sincerely,
Paul Hackett

Cathedral
07-29-2005, 09:03 PM
I wish i could support him, but i'm in the 8th District.
And my rep is, and get this name, lol, John A. Boehner.

I voted for this guy, and was a supporter of his until a woman named Terri Schiavo tripped him up..

Seshmeister
07-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Seems like a total fucking idiot.

BigBadBrian
07-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Who? FORD? :confused:

FORD
07-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Who? FORD? :confused:

No, he was referring to the picture in his signature.

Seshmeister
07-30-2005, 08:45 PM
No I was referring to the fact that it's fucking sad that to get elected Democrats need to be military numbskiulls to overide the BS Bush thing.

The last people you want in politics are ex soldiers they have a skewd limited and unrealistic view of life. Only in the militaristic US is it seen as an advantage.

Cheers!

:gulp:

FORD
07-31-2005, 12:02 AM
No I was referring to the fact that it's fucking sad that to get elected Democrats need to be military numbskiulls to overide the BS Bush thing.

The last people you want in politics are ex soldiers they have a skewd limited and unrealistic view of life. Only in the militaristic US is it seen as an advantage.

Cheers!

Actually it's NOT an advantage at all.

The BCE shit all over three Vietnam vets who ran against Junior. McCain and Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. If Clark had been the nominee, his military record would have been savaged as well.

Saxby Chamblis openly questioned the patriotism of Max Cleland, who literally lost half his body in Vietnam. He got away with it, and stole Cleland's Senate seat.

If anything, military service is a disadvantage running against the BCE because they don't respect it. Which is pretty damn pathetic since they're warmongers

Word from the district though is that the GOP opponent does nothing but spew BCE cookie cutter answers, while Hackett comes off as a no bullshit kind of guy. That will probably help him more than his uniform.

And Sesh, I wouldn't be surprised if some British vets turned up in the next parliamentary election. Would you say the same about them?

BigBadBrian
07-31-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by FORD

The BCE shit all over three Vietnam vets who ran against Junior. McCain and Gore in 2000, and Kerry in 2004. If Clark had been the nominee, his military record would have been savaged as well.

Saxby Chamblis openly questioned the patriotism of Max Cleland, who literally lost half his body in Vietnam. He got away with it, and stole Cleland's Senate seat.

If anything, military service is a disadvantage running against the BCE because they don't respect it. Which is pretty damn pathetic since they're warmongers

Word from the district though is that the GOP opponent does nothing but spew BCE cookie cutter answers, while Hackett comes off as a no bullshit kind of guy. That will probably help him more than his uniform.

And Sesh, I wouldn't be surprised if some British vets turned up in the next parliamentary election. Would you say the same about them?

Probably not. It's only the Americans he has an axe to grind with.

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 12:25 AM

Strange you should say that. He seems to think that it's all the rest of us who are the idiots.

First of all, he reminds me of another dumb ass, JOhn KErry, who thought that bragging about volunteering to fight in a war you are against is a future ticket to the White House. If that were the case, then Timothy McVey (the oklahoma city bomber), John Allen Mohammad (the D.C. sniper), and Lee Harvey Oswald (the sniper with stunt bullets, who immortalized JFK) would all make excellent candidates.

Second, he is just another lawyer playing an angle, no lots of angles.
First he was for the war. Then he was against the war. Sound familiar?
His TV ads portray him as Bush friendly, and even feature Bush giving a speech about the high calling of service to one's country. Yet, when speaking to the local dems, he has said that Bush is public enemy #1, ahead of Bin Ladin. That's just fucked up. Not only does that make him sound really stupid, but he's blatantly speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

Third, all his ads, with the exception of the "Look at me. I'm a war hero" one, are just attack ads against his opponent, Schmidt (a woman who is running a very clean campaign).

:confused:

FORD
08-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by HELLVIS
Strange you should say that. He seems to think that it's all the rest of us who are the idiots.

First of all, he reminds me of another dumb ass, JOhn KErry, who thought that bragging about volunteering to fight in a war you are against is a future ticket to the White House. If that were the case, then Timothy McVey (the oklahoma city bomber), John Allen Mohammad (the D.C. sniper), and Lee Harvey Oswald (the sniper with stunt bullets, who immortalized JFK) would all make excellent candidates.

Lee Harvey Oswald didn't kill JFK, but many of the people who were involved in his murder did, in fact, get involved with politics.

In fact, the likely supervisor of the CIA operation that day actually did become President. And unlike his idiot son, he actually got elected.

aesop
08-02-2005, 12:47 AM

Cheers!

wow... ummmm... last time i checked, the military ha had a huge fucking impact on virtually every aspect of american life...

but hey,,, for your sake... let's just pretend that it never existed and Jimmy Carter is still relevant...

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Lee Harvey Oswald didn't kill JFK, but many of the people who were involved in his murder did, in fact, get involved with politics.

In fact, the likely supervisor of the CIA operation that day actually did become President. And unlike his idiot son, he actually got elected.

BBBBWWWWaaaaaaHHHaaaHHHaaaaaHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! !!!

Ha.

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 12:48 AM

Ha.

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 12:51 AM

Ha.

HHHHHaaaaaHHHHaaaa!!!!!!!

HHaa Ha ha.

ha.

ha.
BBBBWWWWHHHHHAaaaaaaaaaHHHaaaHHHaaaaaaaaaaHHHHaaaa !!!!!

aesop
08-02-2005, 12:52 AM

How much do you still get paid by the Prodical tobacco farmer's kid??

You probably thought the Oliver Stone movie actually had merit :rolleyes:

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Neither Hackett or Schmidt (the lady he's up against) are any choice at all.
She's a rubber stamp for all things Bush, and he's a disgruntled vet who has publically claimed that Bush is a bigger threat than Osama Bin Laden.
Nothing wrong with that of course, he's entitled to his opinion, it's just that the 2nd district is overwhelmingly for Bush.

I do prefer him to Schmidt for the reason i stated above though.

But i'd write my own name in anyway if i could vote in that district.

The only thing i really agree with him on is his views on NAFTA/CAFTA/FTAA/GOTT.

Other than that, he's too liberal for my taste and he's going to lose anyway.
The choices here suck, period.

Nickdfresh
08-02-2005, 01:02 AM

That's one of the most idiotic counterintuitive statements I've heard in a while. Nice try at logic though...What war that he didn't believe in did Oswald fight in? And can you say with any authority that McVeigh and Mohammed didn't believe in the war they fought in? I guess you like voting for pussies that can't walk the walk...That's pretty retarded on your part to compare a MARINE serving honorably to murders and right-wing terrorists because you don't like his politics.

Second, he is just another lawyer playing an angle, no lots of angles.
First he was for the war. Then he was against the war. Sound familiar?
His TV ads portray him as Bush friendly, and even feature Bush giving a speech about the high calling of service to one's country. Yet, when speaking to the local dems, he has said that Bush is public enemy #1, ahead of Bin Ladin. That's just fucked up. Not only does that make him sound really stupid, but he's blatantly speaking out of both sides of his mouth...

:confused:

As opposed to KARL "chickenhawk" ROVE attacking "liberals" for wanting to give therapy to mostly fictional terrorists while he, more so than anyone else, got us into the disaster in IRAQ?

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickdfresh
[B]That's one of the most idiotic counterintuitive statements I've heard in a while. Nice try at logic though...What war that he didn't believe in did Oswald fight in? And can you say with any authority that McVeigh and Mohammed didn't believe in the war they fought in?

My point, simply is that you do not get elected as a parting gift from the military. And while the three terrorists I named may not be on the record as being for/against any war, they all did serve.
You, my friend, are reading far too deeply for a point of contentention to get a simple point. What next? Will you grade my grammar or spelling?

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 01:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cathedral
[B]Neither Hackett or Schmidt (the lady he's up against) are any choice at all.
She's a rubber stamp for all things Bush, and he's a disgruntled vet who has publically claimed that Bush is a bigger threat than Osama Bin Laden.

You are correct sir!!!!!
Unfortunatly there is no 3rd party to vote for in this one.

HELLVIS
08-02-2005, 01:22 AM
As opposed to KARL "chickenhawk" ROVE attacking "liberals" for wanting to give therapy to mostly fictional terrorists while he, more so than anyone else, got us into the disaster in IRAQ? [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey! Wadda ya know? We can agree on something!

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 02:08 AM
It's funny, both of them are running ads all day long, one right after the other.

I hate political attack ads with a passion.

But if Hackett wins it will be a sure sign that Bush has lost it and it could indicate a boost, or change in tides for the Democrats in '08 here in Ohio.

It is a heavy Bush district and can be used as an indicator of how far his support has fallen.

It's interesting none the less.

Seshmeister
08-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Damn right.

We aren't a militaristic country like the US though and have very few ex army people in parliament.

Nickdfresh
08-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Damn right.

We aren't a militaristic country like the US though...

Yes you are..:)

BigBadBrian
08-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Yes you are..:)

Yeah, no kidding. You beat me to the punch on that one, NicK. Great Britain no being a militaristic country? :rolleyes:

Gimme a break.

Seshmeister
08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
1 in 180 people in the US are in the military.

1 in 300 people in the UK are in the military.

1 in 8 people in the US are veterans. I can't find the figure for the UK but it's going to be a lot lower than that. I don't know of anyone at my high school that went into the military.

It's a different culture.

FORD
08-02-2005, 05:22 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/07/31/late/race6.jpg
Would you vote for THIS??

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Nope, and she's saying, "I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too."

Paint the bitch green and we got another re-make of an old jem.

FORD
08-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Election Results
Last Updated: 8/02/2005 8:35pm

US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
56 precincts of 753 reporting
PAUL HACKETT 6,562 51%
JEAN SCHMIDT 6,276 49%

This one could be close......

FORD
08-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Election Results
Last Updated: 8/02/2005 8:57pm

US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
175 precincts of 753 reporting
PAUL HACKETT 13,512 52%
JEAN SCHMIDT 12,802 48%

Nickdfresh
08-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Election Results
Last Updated: 8/02/2005 8:57pm

US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
175 precincts of 753 reporting
PAUL HACKETT 13,512 52%
JEAN SCHMIDT 12,802 48%

So much for DIEBOLD, eh FORD?;)

FORD
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
So much for DIEBOLD, eh FORD?;)

I believe Diebold only has machines in part of Ohio. Maybe it's not this district?

In either case, for Hackett to be leading in one of the reddest districts in an allegedly red state is an accomplishment in and of itself.

However if the numbers suddenly change when they get to the Diebold precincts, that's when the bloodhounds will be called in.

FORD
08-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Election Results
Last Updated: 8/02/2005 9:29pm

US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
580 precincts of 753 reporting
JEAN SCHMIDT 45,134 52%
PAUL HACKETT 42,342 48%

FORD
08-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Election Results
Last Updated: 8/02/2005 9:51pm

US HOUSE Ohio 2nd Dist
662 precincts of 753 reporting
JEAN SCHMIDT 49,681 50%
PAUL HACKETT 48,811 50%

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm sittin' here watching some good old country music with election results running across the bottom of the TV screen and Ford's info is more updated than this shit, lol.

But Alan Jackson is soundin' real good though, lol.

FORD
08-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm taking my info right off the WCPO website. Don't know why the locals couldn't do that :confused:

twonabomber
08-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Ken Blackwell says not to.

FORD
08-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Interesting.... they haven't updated the numbers since 9:51 Ohio time.

Did Uncle Tom Blackwell order the counting stopped until he could "fix" the tabulators?

FORD
08-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Reports now coming in that only Claremont County remains, and that the ballots are being counted by hand.

Bad news there is that it's apparently Schidt's home county.

Good news, I'm told, is that there are two UAW auto plants in the county.

Can anyone confirm or deny any of this?

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 11:26 PM
One plant is a Toyota plant and the other is Nissan.
Fisher Body had two here. one down the street and the other in Norwood, but they're both gone.

That fucking bitch won, dammit.
But, on the bright side, Hackett put up a fight and that says a lot about the state of the Republican Party here in Ohio.

The Democrats may have some hope here in '08 depending on who the next candidate is.
If they are smart they will get off Bush's ass and focus on their campaign.
The time is now, better ralley the troops, brother.

twonabomber
08-02-2005, 11:30 PM
yeah, there's a ZF transmission plant in Batavia, and a Ford transmission plant in Sharonville.

twonabomber
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
those must not be union plants Cat, they didn't mention anything on the UAW site.

FORD
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Well listen to this bullshit.....

The hand counts were done because the "humidity" messed up the machines.

But only in Schidt's home county.

Right...... :rolleyes:

"Final results":

JEAN SCHMIDT 57,974 52%
PAUL HACKETT 54,401 48%

Real results: It's Ohio. Are you kidding.

And the result you won't read about in the paper.... A guy comes out of nowhere in a bright red district and gets at the very least a plurality of votes where the last Democratic opponent only got 28%.

That's a victory in and of itself and Paul Hackett should take that to the political bank. And come back next year after these people have had their fill of the Wicked Witch of Clermont County.

(No offense to Wiccans)

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber
yeah, there's a ZF transmission plant in Batavia, and a Ford transmission plant in Sharonville.

Duh, i know i'm tired now cause i have a friend that works at the BataviaTranny plant, and he's UAW.

But i don't think the Sharonville plant is in district 2.

Bedtime.................

Cathedral
08-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Well listen to this bullshit.....

The hand counts were done because the "humidity" messed up the machines.

But only in Schidt's home county.

Right...... :rolleyes:

"Final results":

JEAN SCHMIDT 57,974 52%
PAUL HACKETT 54,401 48%

Real results: It's Ohio. Are you kidding.

And the result you won't read about in the paper.... A guy comes out of nowhere in a bright red district and gets at the very least a plurality of votes where the last Democratic opponent only got 28%.

That's a victory in and of itself and Paul Hackett should take that to the political bank. And come back next year after these people have had their fill of the Wicked Witch of Clermont County.

(No offense to Wiccans)

You're right, it is a political victory.
He did good for your party, bro.

Now if the rest of the party can capitalize on that over the next year you may have a chance at rebuilding some support.

The funny part is that Bush has done a lot of the leg work for you, lol.

4moreyears
08-03-2005, 12:29 AM

Kerry shit all over himself as many of his former Swift Boat comrads pointed out.

FORD
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
A Victory for Democracy

Yesterday, one of the reddest regions in America turned a whole lot bluer.

I ran in a special election to serve in the United States House of Representatives for the 2nd District of Ohio. I am a Marine recently returned from Iraq, a husband, a father, an attorney, and a Democrat.

When I won the Democratic primary for this contest, few people believed we had a shot at victory. But DFA put its faith in me—and went to work organizing on the ground and online. Your support helped build the greatest Democratic get-out-the-vote effort this district has ever known.

While we didn't pull out a victory yesterday—we came incredibly close. We got 48 percent of the vote. And in those results rests hope for the future.

It had been 15 years since a Democratic candidate for Congress received more than 30 percent of the vote in Ohio's 2nd District and 40 years since a Democrat held the seat. Your support helped me improve Democratic performance by nearly 20 percent. This is a victory for democracy. And if we can do this in Ohio—we can do it anywhere.

Join me, and help DFA elect Democrats in Ohio and across the country:

www.democracyforamerica.com/bat

We have the power to win back Congress. Yesterday proved it. And DFA is on the front lines of the fight—determined, hopeful and fearless.

I believe we can change this country. I believe we can win in every state—and I know that you do too. Please join me today:

www.democracyforamerica.com/bat

Thank you,

Paul Hackett

http://www.blogforamerica.com/archives/006706.html

http://thermo.deanforamerica.com/data.shared/believe.png

DrMaddVibe
08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
LOL!!!!!!

Shot down in flames!

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
LOL!!!!!!

Shot down in flames!

Wow, he got only 48% of the vote in a near total REPUBLICAN district. I'm sure he'll get owned in 2006 as shit keeps going down hill...

HELLVIS
08-03-2005, 11:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHAAAHHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Snow Ho
08-04-2005, 03:36 PM
i grew up and this district and i'm happy he won by 10 votes in my small little town (according to my mom).

as for this article
Limbaugh on Hackett: "a liberal Democrat" who served in Iraq "to pad the resumé" (http://mediamatters.org/items/200508040003)

:rolleyes: X1000

Cathedral
08-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Whatever, it is a hell of an accomplishment for Hackett and if i were a Republican, which i'm not anymore, I wouldn't be so cocky about it.

The fact that he got 48% of the vote in THAT particular area speaks volumes.

There is trouble brewing on the Right, and i think i have a pretty good track record of predicting these things.
If i'm wrong it will be the first time since 2000....think about it.

In 2000, I predicted Bush as the winner, and he won (don't start, Ford, lmmfao)
In 2004, I predicted Kerry would get the nomination, and he did.
I also predicted that John Edwards would be his running mate, and he was.
And i predicted Bush would win a second term, and he did.

I'm feeling pretty confident in what my gut tells me and it's telling me that '08 ain't going to be no cakewalk.

The people in this country are damn tired of one sided administrations, myself included.
Since Ohio is as important to elections as it is, that would indicate that the Republicans are losing steam, and pretty fast.

Jean Schimidt has been around for ages, remember that she won by a very small margin against a guy that was a new face in politics.
So, he actually did pull off a small victory given that he has no track record yet.
But, he has one election under his belt at this point, next time he runs he will do much better in my humbled opinion.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a Democrat, just pointing out the obvious and it ain't looking good for the Republicans going into '06.

Who picks up the ball and runs for the goal line will determine the turnout.

In my own district, there are an awful lot of Bush stickers being ripped off of the bumpers.

But again, just a moderate observation on my part. :)

I can also tell you what will and has killed the Democratic Party. Their inability to talk issues and choosing instead to attack Bush.
If they had something that would get him removed then they would be going in the right direction.
But to date it has all been unproven conspiracy and accusations.
Don't argue with me about it, the facts are on the table and nothing has been brought to the floor to actually get him out of office.

At this point, focusing on their own party IS the only way they can even hope to gain a foothold and realistically expect a victory in '08.

'06 being the first stop in proving that potential.

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Snow Ho
i grew up and this district and i'm happy he won by 10 votes in my small little town (according to my mom).

as for this article
Limbaugh on Hackett: "a liberal Democrat" who served in Iraq "to pad the resumé" (http://mediamatters.org/items/200508040003)

:rolleyes: X1000

That's the irony of some of these REPUBLAFUCKWITS like Blimpbaugh and CHICKENSHIT ROVE...They really have no respect for those in the military or for military service in general. The men and women in the armed services are just toy soldiers to these scumbags.

DrMaddVibe
08-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Nothing could be farther from the truth dimwit!

Its when you lib dems want to play halloween with your service and masquerade your real beliefs that anyone with a brain sees through the shell act!

That double-speaking moron deserved what he got.

Nickdfresh
08-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Nothing could be farther from the truth dimwit!

Its when you lib dems want to play halloween with your service and masquerade your real beliefs that anyone with a brain sees through the shell act!

That double-speaking moron deserved what he got.

What a bunch delusional of horseshit. The guy serves in IRAQ, (in FALLUJAH no less) and somehow he's a phoney coward. KERRY served in VIETNAM and actually killed a VC to save others, and he's the same.

FEARLESS LEADER served (poorly by most accounts) in a couple of Air National Guard units, and he's a hero!

And you guys all suck on ROVE's dick, who's a big fat coward for eluding any military service during the VIETNAM era, yet he's one of the biggest players in selling this the delusions that got us into this God awful IRAQI mess, this proves that morons put ideology before truth...That tells you something. No wonder why we're losing this war, we're even dumber than the fucking terrorists/guerillas in IRAQ. They say in war, "truth is the first casuality." It used to be we had to actually be fighting that war for a while before truth was shot to pieces, not the other way around.

Speaking of HALLOWEEN costumes: here's a monkey in his macho flight suit for you to jack off too...

http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/bush_hero_flight_suit.jpg

DrMaddVibe
08-05-2005, 07:51 AM
That's great that he served in Iraq.

What about the rest of his resume?

This isn't about Rove or Bush moron.

Nickdfresh
08-05-2005, 07:55 AM
That's great that he served in Iraq.

What about the rest of his resume?

This isn't about Rove or Bush moron.

He's a lawyer I believe, which makes him as qualified as any politician...

And it's the typical theme of Democrats are damned if they do, damned if the don't (serve in the military). But REPUBLICANS can talk tough (and yet make really shitty decisions) for security cred.