PDA

View Full Version : EVH or Randy Rhoads

DLR_EngineRoom
07-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Which one do you like better...and why?

BrownSound1
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
I never really cared for Randy that much. Spanish Fly is a showcase, whereas Dee is just a pretty little acoustic piece.

Rikk
07-31-2005, 04:51 PM
I never liked Randy that much myself. I have to admit, I don't really like OZZY's solo stuff at all. Not consistent, most of it not even written by him. I'm a giant Sabbath fan, but I don't like the solo stuff all that much. IMO, Rhoads had nothing on Eddie.

canadiandlrgirl
07-31-2005, 05:04 PM
i always liked Randy....but i like Eddie better(the Roth yearz):)

Dave's Bitch
07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I never liked Randy that much myself. I have to admit, I don't really like OZZY's solo stuff at all. Not consistent, most of it not even written by him. I'm a giant Sabbath fan, but I don't like the solo stuff all that much. IMO, Rhoads had nothing on Eddie.

thats basicaly what i was gonna say,i like some of ozzy's solo stuff though

Eddie is the man though

sammysucks65
07-31-2005, 08:01 PM
ok...i like them both a lot my top two favorties..

but i dont think dee is near randys best work...

same with eddie spanish flys not his best either..

but judging on those id say ed..but i am a bigger randy fan

they both rock

Rebel
07-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Gotta go with Ed. When I think of Randy, I think of how great he was, but what could have been would be truly amazing. Imagine Ozzy and Randy together for 10-20 years, no telling what they would have pumped out.

bueno bob
07-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Hail Ed.

Rebel
07-31-2005, 08:06 PM
THe poll should be "eruption" vs "believer" IMO

sammysucks65
07-31-2005, 08:16 PM
nah eruption vs over the mountain...believers good though

cdwillis
07-31-2005, 08:38 PM
I like Ed better, but I think Randy would have surpassed him eventually if he wouldn't have died. Seriously, look at Ed now. He's a joke. Randy would be sober cranking out good music still.

bueno bob
07-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by cdwillis
I like Ed better, but I think Randy would have surpassed him eventually if he wouldn't have died. Seriously, look at Ed now. He's a joke. Randy would be sober cranking out good music still.

Hard to say. Randy left behind 2 albums of quality work, no doubt about that, but as to what he would have done in the future, it's all speculation.

He might have went the same way Ed did.

Matt White
07-31-2005, 09:03 PM
I'll say DEE..more that I'm sick of EVH in general.

Funny how RHOADS's influence continues to reach a new generation of Neo-classical musicians...while EVH is #70 on a best Guitarist poll.

Those first 2 Ozzy solo recordings are his only quality material. THe guy's been living off them for 23 years...and off Randy.

sammysucks65
07-31-2005, 10:00 PM
i never heard any quiet riot material with randy....wait this just in go to quiet riots home page to listen to mp3s of the rhoads years with randy

DLR_EngineRoom
08-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
THe poll should be "eruption" vs "believer" IMO

Originally posted by sammysucks65
nah eruption vs over the mountain...believers good though

I didn't choose those 'cause they're not instrumentals......I chose the above 'cause they're both instrumentals and acoustic......the thought occurred to me....

bueno bob
08-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by sammysucks65
i never heard any quiet riot material with randy....wait this just in go to quiet riots home page to listen to mp3s of the rhoads years with randy

It's been years since I heard them, but...as I recall, they kinda sucked pretty badly...

hollywood5150
08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
EVH of course. face he is the originator.

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Ed over Randy any day...

DLR_EngineRoom
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Interesting results.....I honestly couldn't have predicted the outcome so far...

Soul Reaper
08-03-2005, 07:56 AM
They both had their own brilliant unique styles.

They both were so fuckin' awesome.

Mr.Crowley vs Eruption would have been better, imo

Terry
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Randy came across as a little more structured in his playing. Talking guitar solos here. Eddie came across as a little more improvisational. Pretty much dig 'em both equally; not much of a point to speculating 'who's better', 'cuz playing an instrument isn't a contest to me.

No doubt Ed had an influence on Randy. I can hear some Van Halenisms in RR's playing, but wouldn't say RR was an Eddie-clone. Chronologically, CVH and QR were playing the same areas at around the same time in the 1970s. CVH just broke big a year or so before RR got his shot with Ozzy.

Agreed that the thing with Randy, because he died so soon into his career, is there is definitely a sense that he was just getting started. It's always the promise of better things to come for me where RR is concerned. In Ed's case, he pretty much peaked in 1981 in terms of creativity, technique and energy. Last couple of CVH albums were great, but by the time Hagar joined Ed had gone on autopilot (unless you count holding an electric drill close to his pickup a la Poundcake as a sign of instrumental growth).

Dave's Bitch
08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
look's like eddie's instrumental is better than randy's

The Scatologist
08-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Terry

(unless you count holding an electric drill close to his pickup a la Poundcake as a sign of instrumental growth).

Actually, that was a Paul Gilbert thing:D

As much as I like Spanish Fly though, I think Dee was a better piece because it was more heart felt and emotional. After all, he did write it for his mom.

hollywood5150
08-03-2005, 05:42 PM
you guys should read two things:

The end og the VH encyclopedia and the first page of the Randy Rhoads website. (towards the bottom)

in conclusion EVH did it first and better.

but dont tell steve hackett that, he claims he begat both of them

GFTPM '90

DLR_EngineRoom
08-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Chronologically, CVH and QR were playing the same areas at around the same time in the 1970s. CVH just broke big a year or so before RR got his shot with Ozzy.

Actually, I saw an ad - I believe it was on the Van Halen Early Years DVD - that Quiet Riot was opening for Van Halen.

Imagine THAT show live.....!

Dave's Bitch
11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Soul Reaper
They both had their own brilliant unique styles.

They both were so fuckin' awesome.

Mr.Crowley vs Eruption would have been better, imo

yea.Mr.Crowley is randy's best imo.that woulda been better

sammysucks65
11-06-2005, 07:14 PM
over the mountain would be randys best to me
then crowley

Terry
11-06-2005, 08:06 PM
I'll give Dee the nod here.

Back in the day, would have said Spanish Fly in a heartbeat, but now it comes across as little more than a sequel to Eruption, acoustified. Not without a great degree of talent, but Dee is more of a composition to me, whereas Spanish Fly is just an excuse to shred.

Just find I'm getting less and less impressed with shredding as I get older.

Jérôme Frenchise
11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Young Ed... No competition. :cool:

Golden AWe
11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
E fucking VH

Dave's Bitch
11-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
Young Ed... No competition. :cool:

basicaly,although personaly i would say slash on appetite for destruction time is better than young ed

roryrobson666
11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Im in a minority here but RANDY!!! Eddie ruled the planet from 1978-1980, but randy took over..... just listen to the two ozzy albums, then tribute... it cant be beat, BEST GUITARIST EVER!!! Not that EVH is not up there with him, its just i love randys approach!!!
RIP Randy Rhoads.

roryrobson666
11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Sorry...... dont be mad with me!!!

three quid
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
randy randy randy all the way!!!!!!! allthough ed is a mean guitarist randy has the style and is an even meaner guitarist. plus his singnature guitar is better then eddies!!! its true

ELVIS
11-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Rhoads was a sloppy live player...

http://www.tracystory.com/RandyRhoads.GIF

:elvis:

Jérôme Frenchise
11-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
basicaly,although personaly i would say slash on appetite for destruction time is better than young ed

Wow! :eek: How can you put "Appetite for Destruction" above "VH I" or "VH II"? I like "Appetite" a lot, but I consider it 2nd division if compared to early VH, really.:cool:

As for Rhoads, I'm amazed it can be suggested that he might belong to the same category as pre-Van Gagar EVH... I often play "Ozzy's Diary of a madman", "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Tribute", get my kicks listening to them and, honestly, Randy is an amazing guitarist, all right, but EVH's work on the first two VH albums (2 records each) as well as on stage during the golden period is definitely something else... Well, no need to explain again, I guess that whoever logs on here owns the 6-pack: it only takes some real listening, with wide open ears and an attentive mind.
And please, let's forget about today. Here it's about a period that ended in 1984 - 1983 for Rhoads, poor him, RIP - and it's obviously been a fake EVH since 1985.