PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose bridge

theicecreamman
07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
I am currently building a guitar with a Floyd Rose. One of my questions is what size drill bit do you use to drill the holes to insert the pegs that keeps bridge afloat. Any other helpful information or tips on installing a Floyd Rose bridge would be helpful. I am a little worried even attempting to route any thing in the body because the wood is a nice Brazilian Cherry.

BrownSound1
08-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Just email them at info@floydrose.com. I think the bushings are 11/32", but you'd better ask them for sure.

Don Corleone
08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
How much do you know (roughly) about installing a trem? (just so I can get a start point)

GAR
08-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Just email them at info@floydrose.com. I think the bushings are 11/32", but you'd better ask them for sure.

Using threaded bushings instead of woodscrew trem posts is a good way to kill string transference to the body and lessens resonance.

Some will say it increases sustain. I say maybe so but to what cost, resonance? Not a preferred tradeoff IMO

GAR
08-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
How much do you know (roughly) about installing a trem?

Lets see, he's on about "pegs" so lets assume he doesn't have a bridge with bushed studs. If he does its pretty simple, cherry is quite hard so he'll start with a 1/4" as a pilot hole for the larger bit so when it removes alot of chipped material it doesn't bog down in the press or hand drill and spin the body in a nice nerve-wracking accident.

Bushings have to be measured for a right fit. If you measure and they appear barely oversized of an even drill size such as 1/2" but the side's are fluted, or scored (so they won't pull out after shoved in) then that would be the size.

I see alot of metric sizes on ebay. they come from China, India Taiwan and Korea so WTF knows really except without measureing with a caliper rule of some kind: vernier caliper micrometers or vernier caliper slide rule. Either works unless you do not understand that in Standard American/English (SAE) rulers you have divisions of 8 lines or multiples of 4: 1/4's of an inch, 8ths, 16ths etc. In that case, take the thing to someone else who can read the correct bushing size to choose a properly suited drill size.

The "stud screw" method which is what Floyd I prefer, I measure the exact size of the INSIDE GROOVE and then choose a drill size tight to it, say 5 thousands under that size as the final hole. I'll pilot that one with maybe an 8th inch drill, then the next pass will be with the right size drill I chose.

THEN I measure that last 3/8ths inch of the shank, the fat portion coming up to the top of it, choosing again to go undersize but more maybe 8 or 10 thousandths. I'll drill down a 3rd pass to just about 1/4 inch or so depth so it's really snug and the body grabs both screwshank dimensions: thread AND top of shank.

It's a bitch to drive em in after that but I "soap" the threads real good by rubbing on a bar of soft soap moistened like Ivory, and using a flatblade screwdriver exactly the size of that slot because it looks ugly if you slip and the chrome plating strips off from such a booboo.

theicecreamman
08-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Thank you for the previous information. If any one had a step by step procedure on installing the floyd rose bridge that would be helpful. Also i was wondering if you would have to make 3 separate templets roe the 3 separate depths for routing out the top of unit. All information is appreciated.

GAR
09-15-2005, 11:21 PM
ugh..

I will do an FAQ on my site so it stays put, I answer this question over and over again.

Drblacwood84
05-20-2006, 11:33 PM
floyds kill

Nitro Express
05-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Can you still buy the original forged steel Floyd Rose that uses the wood screws? I know Helmut Schaller made those in Germany in the good ol days.

Frankenstraat
07-10-2006, 07:49 AM
it sounds like you never did this before, if you don't have the right equipment such as a 12 inch drill press then you should take it to a luthier. You can wreck your guitar, your gonna need some good bits too, they must be brad points, the installation is simple after that, measure 25 inches center from the edge of the nutshelf, mark the center position and drill the holes 74mm apart from each other. each holes should be 37mm from the center...

ELVIS
07-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Can you still buy the original forged steel Floyd Rose that uses the wood screws?

Here! (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Floyd_Rose_tremolos_and_parts/7/Floyd_Rose_Locking_Tremolo_and_Parts.html)

:elvis:

ELVIS
07-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Crap...

Stewart Mcdonald no longer carries that item...

ELVIS
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Read this! (http://www.hillinstruments.com/the_floyd_rose.htm)

ELVIS
07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
Can you still buy the original forged steel Floyd Rose that uses the wood screws? I know Helmut Schaller made those in Germany in the good ol days.

The best Floyd Rose ever made is a Kahler Steeler...

Here's (http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Kahler-Steeler-2760-with-locking-nut-floyd-rose_W0QQitemZ200004089864QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10171 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) one now on eBay for $120...

Never been installed...

Nitro Express
11-08-2006, 01:10 AM
It sounds like guitar hardware is going the way of everything. The metalurgy is crap. Everyone is buying old Schaller and Floyds because the new shit is too soft and breaks.