PDA

View Full Version : Opeth's "Ghost Reveries"

bueno bob
08-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Just got my advance copy 2 days ago, time to review it!! :)

01. "Ghost of Perdition"
- Fucking ACE! Probably the closest thing I could nail it down to, sound wise, would be 'The Leper Affinity' and/or 'April Ethereal' - a small, quick and quiet intro and then we're full on into Opeth mode, growling vocals, twin leads in the style of Maiden/Priest. Quiets down in the middle, soft vocals, some acoustics...and back and forth from there. Excellent track and a great way to start the album out. 5 out of 5.

02. "The Baying of the Hounds"
- Another brillian track. Mostly aggressive, but there's some interesting, experimental stuff going on sound-wise back and forth, some node selections that keeps things kinda interesting. Lyrically wonderful, execution is brilliant, aggressive and calm in varying intervals. I was having the feeling, half-way through this song, that the album was going to be kind of like 'Blackwater Park' in it's delivery, although something new soundwise, of course. 5 out of 5.

03. "Beneath the Mire"
- Wow! Very different for Opeth! Moog organ VERY prominent, performed by new full time member Per Wiberg (who tourned with them on 'Damnation'). Almost Uriah Heep-ish sounding to start with. Love it...4 out of 5.

04. "Atonement"
- Hmm...sounds as if it could have come off of 'Damnation', or 'Deliverance'...same sessions, anyway, but admittedly I prefer both of those albums a bit. Still a great song, so...4 out of 5.

05. "Reverie/Harlequin Forest"
- Opeth at it's finest, and this is what they do best. If you can dig dark metal, and like progressive, Opeth is a Godsend. 5 out of 5.

06. "Hours of Wealth"
- A quick(ish) instrumental break, but it sounds good, sounds nice, I like it...very well done. 5 out of 5.

07. "The Grand Conjuration"
- Probably the oddest track on the album, some different things going on here...but still very much Opeth, they don't disappoint. 4 out of 5.

08. "Isolation Years"
- A quiet note to end the album on. BRILLIANT song. 5 out of 5.

Total Possible: 40
Total Score: 37
Grade: A

Go buy it.

Golden AWe
08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
I had to download it as well. Gonna buy it, for sure. Might grow to become their best album. Sounded amazing, even on a hangover day yesterday.

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 01:20 PM
cant wait to get it... Opeth NEVER disappoints...
but i havent even got "damnation" yet:(

Golden AWe
08-02-2005, 05:40 PM
geddit

bueno bob
08-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I have a correction to make - "Hours of Wealth" IS NOT an instrumental, my mistake. I left the room, but the song is rather short, so I missed the lyrics - caught them today.

Grate song, though.

nosuchluck
08-06-2005, 07:03 AM
i shall obtain this album soon. i cant wait!

Golden AWe
08-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Track 5, like you said Bob, is TOP PROG METAL...very beautiful and tight in the same song...definetely the best track on this cd...