PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the Stones post-Tattoo You output?

academic punk
08-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Of Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon, which would you say has been the best and most disappointing? Have there been any songs that have done the trick for you?

Bridges was the most consistent, but Voodoo had some of the best songs. Steel Wheels was the blandest.

Dirty Work has some great moments: "One Hit", "Had It With You", and "Sleep Tonight", but also some of the worst: "Back to Zero" and "Winning Ugly".

Your thoughts?

Alex Mogilny
08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
under cover of the night - every time I hear it on the radio I crank it up.

can't be seen with you - great song

Terry
08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
None of it rates too high. Can't honestly say if I saw the Stones live nowadays and they didn't bother playing anything post-1981 that I'd be bothered by it.

Title track of Undercover was decent. Must Be Hell was okay. Far as Dirty Work, the tune Had It With You was alright. There were a couple of good tracks on Steel Wheels - Can't Be Seen, agreed. Liked Terrifying as well. Lot of people hail Voodoo Lounge, but didn't really find much on it that I enjoyed. Same for Bridges To Babylon, save for Saint Of Me. Have heard the new single a few times. Liked what I heard, but the days of automatically going out and getting the new Stones album as soon as it's released are gone for me.

ALMOSTsaved
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Being that "Tattoo You" was my first experience with the Stones, my Uncle bought me the record when I was 11 years old, it has always been my fave...

But, post "Tattoo You" stuff is okay at best.

"Steel Wheels" has it's moments: "Mixed Emotions" and "Almost Hear You Sigh." It's also the first tour I saw them on.

"Bridges To Babylon" was a stronger effort than "Steel Wheels" in my opinion. I really liked "Anybody Seen My Baby" and "Already Over Me."

I guess I'm a sucker for Stones ballads. Plus one thing that I've noticed about the Stones from "Tattoo You" on...is the fact that Charlie Watts drums are always recorded so fucking well...

If drums are recorded well, it totally makes a song. Much like "Women And Children First." Alex's drums were fuckin' phenomenal sounding. I don't think they ever re-created that again.

academic punk
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Really? Alex's drums sound shit hot to my ears on songs like "Intruder", "Little Guitars" and throughout "1984".

DLR7884
08-02-2005, 11:44 AM
"Voodoo Lounge" was fucking great.

I listen to it often.

DLR7884
Steel Wheels had 2-3 good songs, but I would say is the worst post "Tatoo You" release.

ALMOSTsaved
08-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Really? Alex's drums sound shit hot to my ears on songs like "Intruder", "Little Guitars" and throughout "1984".

Don't get me wrong...I still thought Alex's drums were heavy sounding on ALL of the releases...but something about the crisp sound of "Women And Children First" blows me away. Strangely enough, it's my least fave release of the Dave era...Yet I still love it.

FORD
08-02-2005, 01:13 PM
UNDERCOVER - Had a few great songs on it, like the title track, "Too Tough", "She Was Hot" but something went wrong in the production or whatever. It's typical early 80's tinny sounding crap.

DIRTY WORK - An album that had great potential. Mick fucked things up by recording two albums at the same time, and as a result, this one ends up sounding like an unfinished work. "One Hit To The Body" is a great song, the "Harlem Shuffle" cover was better than the original, as was Keith's take on the reggae song "Too Rude". "Winning Ugly" should have been a top 10 pop single, but didn't sound that much like the Stones. And of course the cover shot of the band wearing the Miami Vice outfits definitely dooms this one to be a victim of the time period.

STEEL WHEELS - First two songs "Sad Sad Sad" and "Mixed Emotions were a fantastic start. "Terrifying"- Borifying was more like it. "Rock In a Hard Place" was a decent riff, but a bit of a cliche. Keith's songs "Can't Be Seen" and "Slipping Away" were among his best ever.

VOODOO LOUNGE - The first Classic Stones album since Some Girls. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Solid all the way through, even the sappy ballads. (and some great outtakes of this one on the "Voodoo Brew" collection)

BRIDGES TO BABYLON - I suspect that this album is to Voodoo Lounge what Emotional Rescue was to Some Girls. The songs that didn't make the first cut, in other words. "Anybody Seen My Baby", "Out Of Control", "Saint of Me" were solid hits. Keith's "You Don't Have to Mean It" would have made Bob Marley proud, and "Might as Well Get Juiced" was the best use of new technology to make an old blues song I've ever heard.

Track 11 on the album "Too Tight" was one I liked, even though it sounds like an Undercover outtake, but that's where I usually stop this CD. I don't know what the fuck posessed Keith in those last two tracks, but they simply bore the shit out of me, and it's hard for me to say that about any Stones songs, but it's true. :(

Looking forward to the new album though. And hoping the rest of it gets leaked soon.

academic punk
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
"Voodoo Lounge" was fucking great.

I listen to it often.

DLR7884
Steel Wheels had 2-3 good songs, but I would say is the worst post "Tatoo You" release.

I agree 100% on Steel Wheels (see the first post).

YOu and FORD really think "Voodoo" was that good? Really? I like "Love is Strong", "New faces", "Moon Is Up", "Out of Tears", and Keiths two songs, but some of it - particularly "Sweethearts Together" is some of the very crappest Stones, ever. So six REALLY good songs, a few even great, but the rest of it...well, there's a reason I have a CD burner!

And "Can't Be Seen" getting props? Eh...."SLipping Away" is better...what else did I like Steel? The band soudns great, the performances are stellar, but the songs just ain't there...

VonHalen
08-02-2005, 05:12 PM
have them all on cd, i like em

academic punk
08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Listened to parts of "Voodoo Lounge" last night.

I like the song, but doesn't "The Worst" sound a bit like an aside from the rebellious best friend of the lead character in a bad Broadway musical?

FORD
08-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Listened to parts of "Voodoo Lounge" last night.

I like the song, but doesn't "The Worst" sound a bit like an aside from the rebellious best friend of the lead character in a bad Broadway musical?

I just always thought of it as a classic country song. Keith performed it for the Grand ol' Opry crowd at some Willie Nelson Tribute show and all those hicks loved it.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
So six REALLY good songs, a few even great, but the rest of it...well, there's a reason I have a CD burner!

True but think of it this way -- there are only six really good songs on FAIR WARNING, arguably the best CVH album.

academic punk
08-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
True but think of it this way -- there are only six really good songs on FAIR WARNING, arguably the best CVH album.

Objection sustained. Nice one, cuntsellour.

NAHTAN
08-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Come on, now.
Please tell me you mean there are 9 great songs on Fair Warning.

academic punk
08-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by NAHTAN
Come on, now.
Please tell me you mean there are 9 great songs on Fair Warning.

I think we all could have lived without "Sunday Afternoon in the Park".

And "One Foot Out the Door" has a shit hot solo, but not the apex of CVH by any stretch of the imagination.

NAHTAN
08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Come on man, smoke a little mother earth and give Sunday Afternoon a re-listen! I've always considered it part of One Foot Out the Door anyway.

academic punk
08-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by NAHTAN
Come on man, smoke a little mother earth and give Sunday Afternoon a re-listen! I've always considered it part of One Foot Out the Door anyway.

It's not bad, but it's a let down from the quality of the rest of the album.

If FW had had lost those two songs, and had had THREE more great songs on it - maybe even with a little acoustic diversion like "Could This Be Magic?" - it would have ranked even higher as a classic than the first album.

DLR7884
08-04-2005, 08:47 PM
What really would have been cool is if they ever started the album with the second half of "Growth."

DLR7884
Now that would have kicked ass.

academic punk
08-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
What really would have been cool is if they ever started the album with the second half of "Growth."

DLR7884
Now that would have kicked ass.

I think they did alright with the intro to "Mean Streets"..!

Jack68
08-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Voodoo lounge hands down.

DrMaddVibe
08-20-2005, 02:36 PM
I go back one album to "Some Girls" as the last decent every song belongs Rolling Stones album. I thought there was some shit on "Tattoo You". Over all, I'd have to say every release since then has its moments but and I've bought them all on cd. I choose to make my own mix cds of theirs and there are some post "Some Girls" stuff on it. I think "Saint of Me" is right up there with "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Stray Cat Blues".

My personal faves are "Let It Bleed", "Sticky Fingers" and "Exile On Main Street". Every song a classic.