PDA

View Full Version : TIM 'RIPPER' OWENS: 'You Will Never See JUDAS PRIEST And Me On Same Tour'

Hardrock69
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Former JUDAS PRIEST and current ICED EARTH/BEYOND FEAR frontman Tim "Ripper" Owens has posted the following message in the "Forum" section of his official web site:

"PRIEST has informed me that they don't think it is a good idea to have BEYOND FEAR on any tours with them and that it would be best for me to drop the tribute/PRIEST factor. I know a lot of fans wanted this and I myself still like to please the fans. But it looks as though you will never see PRIEST and myself on the same tour. Sorry."

Owens is in the process of signing a record deal for his BEYOND FEAR project, which also features guitarists John Comprix (SPAWN, 13 FACES) and Dwane Bihary (MISSING SKIN), bassist Dennis Hayes (WINTERS BANE, SEVEN WITCHES) and drummer Eric Elkins (CRYPTKICKER, ALL YOU FEAR). Songtitles set to appear on the CD include "I Don't Need This", "And You Will Die", "It Is Me", "Telling Lies" and "The Faith".

"The contract is signed on my end, and I'm now waiting to get it back and the OK to start recording," Owens writes. "I have informed [producer] Jim Morris [ICED EARTH, DEATH, DEMONS & WIZARDS] and everybody involved that we will soon get this thing going."

:rolleyes:

It is quite obvious why. Tim Owens would make Rob Halford look bad these days.

Yes, Halford is THE METAL GOD, however his voice is shot.
Tim Owens is now at the same level Halford was 20 years ago.

That said, I look forward to anything Tim does, as he is a motherfucker of a powerful vocalist.

Mr. Vengeance
08-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Saw JP a couple of months ago, Halford's voice is not shot yet.

Ripper=Halford imitator...JP didn't even try to hide it when they hired him. They even dressed Owens up in Halford-style coats and had Owens sing with his head down the way Halrod does.

Vinnie Velvet
08-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't think Halford's voice is shot.

It has been a bit rough at times, but geez, give the guy a break. After 30plus years of all that screaming, you'd think the voice would go somewhat.

But there's no contest. I thought Owens was good, but come on, he's no Halford and despite the music, listening to him sing with Priest just seemed too much like you were listening to a tribute band!

Besides, Owens can't WRITE SONGS, that is come up with melodies and lyrics like Halford can.

The two Ripper albums Priest did were absolute SHIT.

Mr. Vengeance
08-02-2005, 02:21 PM
There are a few servicable tunes on Demolition. Jugulator is a complete waste of time.

Mr. Vengeance
08-02-2005, 02:26 PM
If anyone needs an example of what a ripoff Owens was, check the link and watch the video of Painkiller....They even have him on the damn motorcycle.

http://www.judaspriest.com/TheRipperYears/default.asp

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Don`t be too hard on Tim.

He didn`t write anything for those two albums.

He wanted too but Tipton/Downing said no.

He didn`t ask to join Judas Priest, they came to him after seeing him in a tribute band.

It must have been a dream come true although he was constantly compared to Halford.

Now, the Priest thing will always be a monkey on his back.

Give the guy a break.

I saw him on the "Demolition" tour and he sang great, even though Priest had noticably down-tuned for him.

Mr. Vengeance
08-02-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm not putting the guy down....He's got a good voice. (Unlike another replacement, Blaze Bayley in Iron Maiden..AWFUL!) But the way he was just a Halford clone was embarrassing. I don't think JP went after him...Didn't they have auditions and they came across Ripper, who was in a JP tribute band?

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
I'm not putting the guy down....He's got a good voice. (Unlike another replacement, Blaze Bayley in Iron Maiden..AWFUL!) But the way he was just a Halford clone was embarrassing. I don't think JP went after him...Didn't they have auditions and they came across Ripper, who was in a JP tribute band?

No.

My understanding is they tracked him down.

I don`t know about the "clone" thing.

Priest have an image of leather and studs which he would have been TOLD to adhere to and obviously he would have to sing that way.

I think it was the right thing for them to do, especially when you think of what Iron Maiden did, which was more or less the opposite.

No matter what he goes on to do he will always be ex Judas Priest which will make everyone see him as a bit of a hasbeen.

DLR_EngineRoom
08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
:rolleyes:

It is quite obvious why. Tim Owens would make Rob Halford look bad these days.

Yes, Halford is THE METAL GOD, however his voice is shot.
Tim Owens is now at the same level Halford was 20 years ago.

B FN S! I just saw Priest about a month ago....and while I don't agree with what he gargles with to make his voice better (heh heh ahem freddie mercury ahem), his voice sounds just as eagle-shrilling as in the past. He in no way sounded like he's aged in the past 20 years...

Halford remains the Sinatra of Metal......I kid you abso-$%Y&@-lutely not...

DlocRoth
08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Yep, they tracked him down.

twonabomber
08-02-2005, 10:48 PM
someone close to Ripper sent Priest a video.

Vinnie Velvet
08-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
someone close to Ripper sent Priest a video.

Yeah, that's true.

But Priest knew that Owens was in a tribute band.

Hey, I thought he was a good singer, but he's no Halford.

And I agree, how can you compare a Halford-wannabe to the TRUE Metal God? You can't.

As for the shit albums he did with them, I think Tipton and Downing did write most of the stuff (maybe even lyrics as well), which is why those albums suffered.

Just be glad Halford is back in Priest.

Hardrock69
08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
I am not saying anything about him being a Halford clone, he just has a killer voice, that's all.

And no, Halford's voice is shot, compared to how he sang 20 years ago.

Yes, he is in his mid 50s, and he is a much better vocalist than many others on their best days.

But he must compete with his former self, and from now on will always come up short.

I will always go see them live when they come to my town. But I get depressed listening to Halford now in a live setting, because he just can't do what he used to.

I do feel lucky though that he is still out there, and I certainly feel fortunate that they actually buried the hatchet and got back to the businesss of Judas Priest once again.

The goddamned sisters could learn a thing or two about being adults from Priest.

But Eddie is too busy sobbing about everything while he gargles with fucking Heineken.

VonHalen
08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
agreed