PDA

View Full Version : David Glimour: "Pink Floyd will NOT tour"

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 01:37 PM
After Pink Floyd were offered $150 million to tour America immediately after Live 8, I was very disappointed to read today that David Gilmour has said "Its completely mad and we won't do it. The idea of Live 8 was a one-off." Nick Mason also answered the question "Is this a new chapter for Pink Floyd?" simply by saying "no".

Money won't help persuade them to do it, because Gilmour has gave the roylaties from the extra 1300% albums that Floyd sold after Live 8 to the Band Aid Trust and has urged others to do so.

Do you know who I think would be able to persuade them? Bob Geldof.

He can persuade anybody to do anything.

If he can say "Give your profits to the Band Aid Trust" or "There are so many people in the world who are yet to experience Pink Floyd live" or "Do it for the new fans, not the old fans", something to that effect.

DLR7884
08-02-2005, 01:52 PM
It won't happen.

And that fucking sucks.

Pink Floyd with or without Waters is more than likely done.

DLR7884
Maybe another few shows, but no tours and no new music.

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
it wont happen.
frankly, i don't really want it to. its time they put the legend to rest.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Really?

Big Fat Sammy
08-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Waters has a new project...some opra sort of thing...about the French Revolution or something.....heard of this?

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Yea, I've heard of that. He's been working on it for YEARS, I believe.

nosuchluck
08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
yeah...since '89 methinks..
i read somewhere that he's recently completed it...

Mezro
08-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
After Pink Floyd were offered $150 million to tour America immediately after Live 8, I was very disappointed to read today that David Gilmour has said "Its completely mad and we won't do it.

There is artistic integrity and then there is asshole-ism...

Mezro...I respect Gilmour but only a punch drunk douche would turn down that type of money...and fuck you too Nick Mason...bloated tampon...

Samsonite
08-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Only a douche would turn down that kind of money? What? They couldn't have taken that money without looking like douches.

Nickdfresh
08-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I was really hoping for a new album, and a lean world tour with a series of shows in major cities. That's the best that could be hoped for at this point. Still be an almost impossible ticket...

Mezro
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Samsonite
Only a douche would turn down that kind of money? What? They couldn't have taken that money without looking like douches.

Are you kidding me? You don't get it? I have to fucking explain what I meant?

Mezro...so much for the Cleveland public school system...

Rikk
08-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Frankly, anything they do without WATERS has no integrity in itself. I hate how this is Waters' band, yet now dickhead David gets to make all the decisions now.:mad:

hollywood5150
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I knew they werent, I didnt think they were. and they didnt. NOT to sound like a cocky asshole but there wasnt enough hype nor media attn.

It was a live 8 thing , a one time thing, and they said so on VH1

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I hate how this is Waters' band,

I thought it was Syd Barret's band.

VonHalen
08-02-2005, 05:10 PM
just go see waters live, just as good

hollywood5150
08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
syd barret may have been a founder, but not the leader, he doesn't run it. Gilmore/waters run the show.

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 05:28 PM
I assume Gilmour must hold the rights to the band name.

He seems to be the only one stopping it happening.

I think if Waters could get away with it he would go out with Mason and Wright under the "Pink Floyd" banner.

Even before the reunion Gilmour said Pink Floyd were finished as he couldn`t be bothered travelling the world and said it was "a young man`s game".

The only reason he did it before was probably to stick it to Roger Waters.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by hollywood5150
syd barret may have been a founder, but not the leader, he doesn't run it. Gilmore/waters run the show.

He wrote all the songs on "Piper" (obviously, BEFORE he went insane), how does that not make him the leader of the band?

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
He wrote all the songs on "Piper" (obviously, BEFORE he went insane), how does that not make him the leader of the band?

At the time he was regarded as the talent in The Pink Floyd.

Their management dumped them when they got rid of Sid as they thought they were finished.

It was HIS band.

That`s why Waters moaning like he did when he left was pretty ironic.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 07:34 PM
See, hollywood5150, I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Rikk
08-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by VonHalen
just go see waters live, just as good

Yup.

I have a DVD of his 2000 tour, and it's great. Great performance, awesome set list.

DLR7884
08-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Yup.

I have a DVD of his 2000 tour, and it's great. Great performance, awesome set list.

I saw Waters live in 2000...great fucking show.

DLR7884
He sounded excellent.

Golden AWe
08-03-2005, 12:59 AM
"Would you like to say something before you leave?
Perhaps you'd care to state exactly how you feel
We said goodbye before we said hello
I hardly even like you
I shouldn't care at all
We met just six hours ago
The music was too loud
From your bed I gained a day and lost a bloody year
And I would like to know
How do you feel?
How do you feel?

Not a single word we said
Delights still without fears
Occasinally you showed a smile
But what was the need
I felt the cold far too soon
The wind of '95
My friends are lying in the sun
I wish that I was there
Tomorrow brings another town
Another girl like you
Have you time before you leave to greet another man?
Just you let me know
How do you feel?
How do you feel?

Goodbye to you
Charlotte Kringles too
I've had enough for one day"

diamondsgirl
08-03-2005, 02:17 AM
that sucks...I was kind of hopeful after live 8 :(

Soul Reaper
08-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Frankly, anything they do without WATERS has no integrity in itself.

i dunno. i liked the Division Bell album

hollywood5150
08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
you stated your opinion and great. you have aright to do that. even better others agree with you.

and I too have a right to state my opinion. I am just stating mine and adding to it with a comment from VH1

THATS ALL!!...............

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
you stated your opinion and great. you have aright to do that. even better others agree with you.

and I too have a right to state my opinion. I am just stating mine and adding to it with a comment from VH1

THATS ALL!!...............

Are you reffering to me?

hollywood5150
08-03-2005, 05:13 PM
yes sir I am, you wrote post #20.

you stated the following:

see, HOLYWOOD5150, I am no tthe only one that thinks so.

there is nothin wrong woth that, nor with what I wrote.

It seems to me your impieing I want to argue.

I don't.

fret_buzz_blues
08-04-2005, 02:42 AM
Fuck, just what I expected. THERE GOES THAT REUNION!!

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 05:14 AM

SYD BARRETT doesn't run anything but a shopping cart full of objects accumulated from along the side of the road these days...
http://www.pinkfloydz.com/personal/Syd-Barrett-abril-2001-3.jpg

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
I assume Gilmour must hold the rights to the band name.

He does. WATERS sued them in the 80's during the 'FAKE FLOYD' era claiming he wrote most of the music and that all of the conceptualizations (PIGS) were his.

He was very bitter when he lost...

He seems to be the only one stopping it happening.

I think if Waters could get away with it he would go out with Mason and Wright under the "Pink Floyd" banner.

Even before the reunion Gilmour said Pink Floyd were finished as he couldn`t be bothered travelling the world and said it was "a young man`s game".

The only reason he did it before was probably to stick it to Roger Waters.

I don't agree that WATERS would tour the world without GILMOUR as FLOYD. Say what you want about him, but he's always had a great deal of integrity and he was the stumbling block that didn't want a reunion in the 80's and was left outbecause he refused to work with FLOYD anymore...

Are you reffering to me?

HOLLYWOOD5150's a useless, ignorant tool. He's a borderline troll, don't waste your time...

Terry
08-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Never that huge on Floyd, but agree that Floyd post-Waters is a joke. Least in terms of the song content.

Can understand people wanting to see it, though. Maybe Geldof SHOULD shame Gilmour into doing it and giving the proceeds to charity. Even a non-fan like me recognizes that a Floyd reunion tour would generate huge business.

Hardrock69
08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, I will put it this way...I feel EXTREMELY fortunate to have seen "Pink Floyd" in Kansas City in June of 1994.

I also feel fortunate that somebody came up to me the night before and asked me if I knew anybody who wanted to buy some blotter acid.

My eyes about popped outta my skull when he asked me that.

It is a rock and roll tradition. You are REQUIRED to see Pink Floyd while suffering a melt down from LSD.

So my roommate and I drove to the show. I did not tell him until we parked and I shut the engine off.

"Hey man, I have a surprise for ya.."

"Oh yeah? What?"

"Look!"
:D

"OH MI GOD!!!!"

We split the one hit. He and I both had not tripped in 8 years, and had given up the LSD adventures permanently.

So we took half a hit each, and walked into Arrowhead Stadium.

The show began 45 minutes later, just as we were seriously beginning to feel the effects. We first noticed that we were hearing what sound like treefrogs and birds chirping. We were like "WTF??" Then we realized it was coming out of the P.A. System.

About halfway through the set, we realized that we had what we described as "SOOPER-VISON!".
:cool:

We were sitting in the upper level to the right of the stage. Only about 20 rows from the top, so we were in nosebleed city. And even though we were about 200 feet away from the stage, we could see David Gilmour's effects rack with perfect clarity!!!

It was a 3 hour drive back to Wichita that night. At one point my friend looked over at me (I was driving) and said with tears streaming down his cheeks (no he was not crying...it was just a by-product of the trip):

"Now I remember why I quit doing this shit!"

Oh well.

That was my only live Pink Floyd experience.

They need to simply announce that Pink Floyd is officially over. If David Gilmour is definitely NOT going to ever tour again, he needs to actually say "Pink Floyd is OVER!".

Heck, they had a great career. Time to retire.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Cat

fret_buzz_blues
08-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Hell yeah, it would generate very good business. But the ticket prices would be outta this world...

Hardrock69
08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Cat

Dog

Shaun Ponsonby
08-04-2005, 06:48 PM
How rude.

Don't you think Floyd should do some HUGE shows to celebrate their 40th in a couple of years time?

One, maybe 2 in the UK
2 or 3 in the USA
A couple in Europe

That kind of thing. Not so much a tour, more of a "one show this week, next one in May", if they aren't gonna tour, at least do that.

hollywood5150
08-04-2005, 06:52 PM
thank you nicked fresh

Hardrock69
08-05-2005, 12:01 AM
How rude.

WTF??
:confused:

Would you rather I posted "Meow" instead?

Do NOT blaspheme Alan the Panther!!!

:D

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=517643

Nickdfresh
08-05-2005, 12:23 AM
thank you nicked fresh

You're welcome.:)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69

Would you rather I posted "Meow" instead?

YES.

Mr Badguy
08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
How rude.

Don't you think Floyd should do some HUGE shows to celebrate their 40th in a couple of years time?

One, maybe 2 in the UK
2 or 3 in the USA
A couple in Europe

That kind of thing. Not so much a tour, more of a "one show this week, next one in May", if they aren't gonna tour, at least do that.

Jeez, they look so old already.

What do you think they`ll look like in five years?

Shaun Ponsonby
08-06-2005, 04:27 PM
VERY old.

Maybe if someone says to them "There are only 2 members of The Who left, there are only 2 Beatles left, 3 Led Zeppelin members left...if you don't do this now, it might be too late if you change your mind".

classicdude
08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Never that huge on Floyd, but agree that Floyd post-Waters is a joke. Least in terms of the song content.

Can understand people wanting to see it, though. Maybe Geldof SHOULD shame Gilmour into doing it and giving the proceeds to charity. Even a non-fan like me recognizes that a Floyd reunion tour would generate huge business.

Shit yeah...I'd blow a wad on a Pink Floyd show. Since I blew my chance their last tour....doh! :mad: Oh well, it was nice to have a little hope for a while. Kind of like Van Halen. But it all comes down to the same thing...fuck the fucking fuckers. :heyfu: :fucku2: If they can't overcome their petty differences/artistic conflicts for the almighty greenback....well, fuck em.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-11-2005, 10:31 AM
If you are reffering to Floyd there, where the fuck have you been for the past 45 posts?