PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music



Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Does anybody else like classical music?

I didn't used to, but started to appreciate it through doing a music GCSE.

My favourite composers are-

Bach
Schubert
Copeland
Tchaicovsky

+ the more obvious ones...
Beethoven
Mozart


Anybody else?

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah!

My favourite is Prokokiev and "The planets" by Holtz.

We had to learn a whole bunch of it at school.

I play the clarinet.

I also love big band and old school jazz.

The Scatologist
08-02-2005, 05:25 PM
To be honest I prefer VH

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yeah!

My favourite is Prokokiev and "The planets" by Holtz.

We had to learn a whole bunch of it at school.

I play the clarinet.

I also love big band and old school jazz.


My dad has "The Planets" on record.
"Mars, The Bringer of War" is such a great piece of music.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
To be honest I prefer VH

Ssssshh, intelligent people speaking.

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
My dad has "The Planets" on record.
"Mars, The Bringer of War" is such a great piece of music.

Yes, excellent.

Diamond Head lifted "Mars" wholesale for the intro to "Am I evil".

Who said classical music isn`t heavy?

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 05:32 PM
When you say "Big band and old school jazz" are you talking about people like Buddy Rich and Lionel Hampton?

Actually, I have a live album that Phil Collins made with a big band in paris. Very good it is, as well.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yes, excellent.

Diamond Head lifted "Mars" wholesale for the intro to "Am I evil".

Who said classical music isn`t heavy?

People don't realise that classical music is often adapted for modern songs. I did notice the beginning of "Am I Evil?", as I did pick up "The White Album" after you recommended it.

Prog bands do it all the time.

Somewhere amongst my quickly growing album collection I have Yngwie Malmsteen playing Beethoven's 5th, and it works brilliantly.

Metal DOES work with classical. Look at Metallica's "S&M", I thought that was better than Metallica on their own.

Mr Badguy
08-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
People don't realise that classical music is often adapted for modern songs. I did notice the beginning of "Am I Evil?", as I did pick up "The White Album" after you recommended it.

Prog bands do it all the time.

Somewhere amongst my quickly growing album collection I have Yngwie Malmsteen playing Beethoven's 5th, and it works brilliantly.

Metal DOES work with classical. Look at Metallica's "S&M", I thought that was better than Metallica on their own.

I think it works sometimes.

I quite liked the Scorpions with the orchestra although "Big city nights" was crap.

However, take Kiss "Alive 4" where the orchestra seems to be grafted on.

The best has to ELP "Works live", the band and orchestra TOURING together.

Those versions of "Pictures at an exibition", "Tank" and Emerson`s "Piano concero" are awesome.

And "Pirates" makes your hair stand on end.

The Scatologist
08-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Ssssshh, intelligent people speaking.


Hey Mr i'm more intelligent then you because I listen to classical., I had to play the fucking planets in my State Youth Symphony and I hate those pieces.

I also had to deal with a lot of snot nosed private school yuppie bitch asses because the symphony was composed of them mostly.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I've only heard "Rock You Like A Hurricane" from the Scorps, and "Shout It Out Loud" from Kiss.

But, I do love ELPs "Works Live". Its a shame they didn't get to finish that tour.

Also, I love Yes "Symphonic Live". Ritual is simply gorgeous.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
Hey Mr i'm more intelligent then you because I listen to classical., I had to play the fucking planets in my State Youth Symphony and I hate those pieces.

I also had to deal with a lot of snot nosed private school yuppie bitch asses because the symphony was composed of them mostly.


Why are you telling me that?

The Scatologist
08-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Ssssshh, intelligent people speaking.

For the same reason you tell me that

scottydabodi
08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
The main reason I don't like Classical music is because John Bonham doesn't play drums on any of the compositions... Neither does Tommy Aldridge... wack...

Mr Badguy
08-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Philistines!

Cato
08-03-2005, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy

I play the clarinet.


isn't it made of flesh?

Mr Badguy
08-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Cato
isn't it made of flesh?

Yes.

Black flesh.

Golden AWe
08-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Strauss has some excellent stuff as well, and so does the finnish composer Jean Sibelius. Sibelius is and has always been very popular amongst the nazis...

Try "Finlandia" by Sibelius.

Soul Reaper
08-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Does anybody else like classical music?

I didn't used to, but started to appreciate it through doing a music GCSE.

My favourite composers are-

Bach
Schubert
Copeland
Tchaicovsky

+ the more obvious ones...
Beethoven
Mozart


Anybody else?

i do.

Bach is one of my favs and so is Mozart and Beethoven.

extraordinary composers

W*NK*R
08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Mmm. Alittle as I can play abit on the keyboard.

How about opera?

Phantom of the opera is ace.

bastardog
08-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Does the Star Wars soundtrack counts as classical?
If not.......who cares about it?
But if yes.......Damn! I started to grow...NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Dave's Bitch
08-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Ssssshh, intelligent people speaking.

LMAO :)

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by The Scatologist
For the same reason you tell me that

Are you on Morphine as well?

Mr Badguy
08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I say soundtracks do qualify as classical music.

You have to browse the classical section in Amazon to find them, so there you go.

That`s my idea of definitive.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by W*NK*R

How about opera?

Phantom of the opera is ace.

I only really like the Freddie Mercury/Monserrat Cabble "Barcelona" album for Oprea. I'm not overly keen on Oprea vocals, but I can't deny their talent.

sammysucks65
08-03-2005, 03:13 PM
i enjoy Fryderyk Chopin...only because i am a big fan of neo classical metal ala randy rhoads...and i like paul gilbert of racer x fames style.......but yeaa rock and classical together is awesome

sammysucks65
08-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by W*NK*R


How about opera?

Phantom of the opera is ace.

the only phantom of the opera i like is iron maiden...some classsy englishmen i might add

Matt White
08-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Chopin is very good...............

katie
08-07-2005, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Ssssshh, intelligent people speaking.

More like,
A little boy who lives at home with mummy & Daddy speaking.:D

Coyote
08-07-2005, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
I only really like the Freddie Mercury/Monserrat Cabble "Barcelona" album for Oprea. I'm not overly keen on Oprea vocals, but I can't deny their talent.

Great tracks on that album. ("The Fallen Priest", for example)

katie
08-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
Great tracks on that album. ("The Fallen Priest", for example)

Oh yes! I love that track too.

Shaun Ponsonby
08-09-2005, 03:38 PM
"The Fallen Priest" is a good track, but I think the best one on the album is "The Golden Boy", mostly for the middle-section, I just love gospel choirs.

BTW, Katie, I do still live at home because I am about to start VI Form, so, if that was an insult, it was pretty lame, because it is true.