PDA

View Full Version : Fair Warning Re-visited

Rikk
11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Well, with all the shit that's been going on both at this site and in VH-land, I thought it might be nice to look more closely at CVH and appreciate the album many consider the band's best.

Personally, I never actually thought of FAIR WARNING as the band's best album. I think it's a monumental work on so many levels. I think it was truly a turning-point in the band's career. I kind of liken it to EXILE ON MAIN STREET by the Stones. It has a raw, dangerous sound...and its whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I don't personally, however, think it is necessarily the greatest collection of Van Halen songs compared to albums like VHII or 1984 . But that's just me. I still think it's a five-star album in every way. And I would still say it's one of the best things the band ever did.

Funny enough, the band often seemed to record their most ground-breaking albums when they were peaking with tension. This and 1984 both were created during periods in which band members were practically hating each other. Eddie Van Halen was flirting with the idea of leaving the band (supposedly because he couldn't take Dave's antics anymore) and even possibly joining KISS. In Gene Simmon's poor autobiography, KISS AND MAKE-UP, he tells of an incident in which he told Eddie to stay with the band and "put up" with Dave. Eddie takes his advice (although he did record a few solos, apparently not used, for KISS's CREATURES OF THE NIGHT album).

The first two albums had been basically collected original songs (and a few covers) from the band's club days. Many great songs from the band's gigantic cache of early original material were included, often in versions identical to the recordings on the band's '77 demo tape. For WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, many riffs and ideas from that demo tape were still utilized...and that brilliant album still had a sort of "quick-recording", jamming feel to it.

By FAIR WARNING, Eddie seemed more determined than ever to make a real studio statement. FAIR WARNING was the first album the band recorded that definitely didn't have a garage-band feel to it. That's not to say that the album is overproduced like many of their pedestrian efforts with second vocalist Sammy Hagar. What comes through, however, on FAIR WARNING is a sense that the album was a giant statement instead of a band seeking to again create a record that sounds like a typical Van Halen live set. Sure, a few of those old ideas were still utilized (MEAN STREET had two old riffs from the demo tape). But for the most part, this material was new...and it sounded new, with more overdubs and advanced guitar sounds (and styles).

And Dave? He sounds more confident than ever.

This has never been the VH album that a fan will immediately declare the band's masterpiece upon first listen. This one has to sink in a bit. But once you get it, you really get it and realize its brilliance. It's even possible that the original line-up wouldn't have been quite so revered if it weren't for this ground-breaking album that (like most of the original band's recordings) hasn't become dated almost whatsoever.

Strangely, the album ended up being the smallest seller out of all the original line-up's albums (it reached #6 in the U.S. charts). But what do sales matter? 5150 apparently sold a lot more originally than an album like VAN HALEN II . But which album will people still be buying in ten years? Duh.:p

After releasing this album, the band went out on another huge world tour...a tour that is often considered the height of the original band's dangerousness. Indeed, an official document of the excellent FAIR WARNING tour would probably outdo any Van Halen album or video ever released (okay, a fucking Osmonds concert would probably outclass the band's terrible live video RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW). And the idea of such a document isn't merely wishful thinking either. A rumor has been making the rounds that with the latest tour's failure and the band's inability to keep it together with either singer, the band will have to semi-retire but keep an income going through archive releases. A box set is still a possibility. But with the giant success of last year's LED ZEPPELIN DVD release, a vintage Van Halen DVD set designed for home theatres is a further possibility. Yes, this is a rumor. But apparently, the band dusted off the original negatives for the Oakland '81 show (the source of the famous UNCHAINED, SO THIS IS LOVE and HEAR ABOUT IT LATER videos) and realized that the film would require some rather expensive restoration work. See, when the three videos were compiled, the entire concert was NOT edited. The band only had the three songs they planned to release edited together (camera angles/sound) because they only planned to release those three songs. The entire concert WAS filmed for a possible home video release, but the film negatives for most of the concert have sat in a vault for 23 years. In order for the concert to be put on DVD, a professional film company will have to restore the film negatives, transferring them to a digital medium, all the while hoping that everything is still useable and hasn't been too damaged with the space of time (this same problem explains why not every song from Zeppelin's ROYAL ALBERT HALL concert was used in the DVD release last year). It will then be a matter of mixing the original multi-track tapes into 5.1 It is also possible that the band could release an official live album from this show...though this has never been really rumored. The key, according to the rumors, is that the band has to make a decision on whether or not it is worth restoring the film financially. Restoring a giant pile of original film is not cheap. They have to feel confident enough that the sales will be there when the DVD is released. One good thing about this rumor is that film generally looks better than video...espcially video filmed in 1981. If the film is truly restored and the multi-track audio tapes are in good shape, this will shape up to be the ultimate DVD for any Van Halen fan. Anyway, just a rumor, but something I wanted to shove in here. Let's hope the band gets to work on this if they are indeed finished. (Frankly, I hope they're finished...I certainly don't want them to tour with Cheese Head ever again, and after the fiasco in Arizona the other night, that's not likely.)

http://www.classicvh.com/images/gallery/Classic_Van_Halen_Museum/Backstage_Passes/vanhalenwdfapnkbspass.jpg
thanks for www.classicvanhalen.com for this pic.

Anyway, on to the songs...

MEAN STREET
The fade-in is classic. It's a defining moment in VH history. And it sets the scene for an album that will be unpredictable, dark and guitar-based. Yes, Dave is amazing on this album. But just as Dave steals the show on WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, Eddie really steals it here. The main riff in this song (a song unlike any other in the VH or DLR canon) is actually borrowed from an old VH original called VOODOO QUEEN (this song appears on the 77 demo). Furthermore, the simple riff that counts as a middle-eight and appears before Ed's excellent guitar solo is actually borrowed from another unused original (also from the '77 demo) called SHE'S THE WOMAN (one of my favorite unreleased Van Halen songs). Based on these facts, you may think the band is going to spend another album going back to the seemingly bottomless well of old Van Halen songs and riffs. But even though this song borrows plenty from the past, it is still undeniably new (ie. 1981) Van Halen. I still get goosebumps when the music quiets down and Dave declares:

See a gun is real easy in this desperate part of town.
Turns you from hunted into hunter, gonna hunt somebody down.

What is this song truly about? God only knows. It's likely that Dave heard the finished music and decided that he wasn't going to sing about love or dreams or making it as his mentally retarded successor would have. Whatever, Ed shines on the closing solo. You could say this is the band's KASHMIR. It's majestic, dangerous and just as amazing so many years later. My vote for one of the album's two best tracks and one of the band's best songs ever. (QUICK NOTE: I saw Dave perform this with his band on Carson Daly a couple of years ago, and it was amazing...anyone who says he can't perform anymore should be placed in a mental hospital...and boy did his band smoke!)

DIRTY MOVIES
Some amazing guitar work here on the intro. I can't even describe how strange the slide-playing sounds. And the rhythm section is truly funky. Dave sings about a good girl gone bad...not exactly a new subject. But it clearly fits the sleazy tone of the music. (See, another of the big problems I had with Van Hagar was the fact that Sam would always sing something either unbelievably stupid or completely out-of-place on the music he was handed...Dave, however, always matched the mood perfectly). That being said (and I know this is a favorite of many fans), this just isn't one of my favorite VH songs. It has some great work musically, and Dave does the best he can. But I just don't think it's as well-structured a song as almost anything else on the album. I don't really like the "Take it off" part or the "Lights camera action" bit at the end. PM me gigantic insults to relieve your anger when you read this.:D

SINNER'S SWING
This actually sounds like it came off the debut album. It's got all the elements of early Van Halen fury. But it's almost definitely a brand-new composition (and worked extremely-well live...God, I hope that Oakland DVD comes out!!!). This is a perfect example of the amazing pairing Eddie and Dave were. The riff is pure adrenaline, and Dave is just smoking when he declares, "She looks so fucking good, so sexy and so frail!" Alex is also on fire. This is the kind of fast, crack-cocaine kind of drumming he excelled at during the Dave days before he got so happy playing song after song of mid-paced nap music during the Cheddar days. Mikey is also great during Ed's solo, laying a great bottom down on the only album on which he plays primarily with a pick. A classic Van Halen song. Too bad it doesn't get the recognition that a song like I'M THE ONE does (I personally think SINNER'S SWING is a superior song).

HEAR ABOUT IT LATER
Another track that moves the band forward in their musical journey. There are those that say there is nothing poppy about FAIR WARNING. I disagree. Both HEAR ABOUT IT LATER and the following track have the hit-single, hook structure. HEAR ABOUT IT LATER was apparently written using a piano before Ed found a way to make it work with the guitar...allowing him to find a way in which his music could be both intense and heavy while still incredible melodic. That said, the chords here aren't particularly jazzy or strange. Ed uses basic pop chords, and the song could have been a stinker had Sam sung on it. But with Dave belting out incredible melodies and lyrics like "Neighbors gettin' crazy 'bout the noise next door...It's a major violation, carried away for sure", this becomes an album highlight. In fact, the best moment for me is the simple middle-eight before the bass/drums jam. Dave just belts out a simple melody over descending chords: "But you can try me at home if it feels alright!" Again, it's brilliant. It just sounds so powerful, melodramatic and over-the-top. It's actually one of my favorite moments in the band's catalogue. The solo is typical Ed...bluesy, sleazy and brilliant. A real highlight!

UNCHAINED
Probably the best track the band ever recorded. From the amazing chorus to the once-in-a-lifetime riff, from the incredible flange to the wonderful lyrics...this song alone demonstrates why Sammy Hagar should have declined politely in 1985 when Ed asked him to join the band. How anyone could feel they could ever follow this song up with anything is beyond me. This is not only incredibly catchy (this should have been a #1 single) but is also a high-octane, concert-opening, barnstorming Van Halen rocker. It has the great Van Halen rhythm section (before they started going on autopilot a few years later) and some of Ed's best guitar work (including what he considers maybe his greatest solo). I could go on and on about the lyrics or Dave's legendary "one break comin' up" line (responding to Ted Templeman's "C'mon Dave, gimme a break question from the control room). But we're all read that before. BTW, have any of you ever heard the live versions that Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone have performed? If so, have a few drinks, listen to this version again (or watch the Oakland video version) and all will be good on Earth again.

http://pro.corbis.com/images/PN010564.jpg?size=67&uid={7d32d9f0-8a1d-4799-a7b4-33f3b68aaeb5}

PUSH COMES TO SHOVE
Dave was always into expanding the band's boundaries and trying new things. Eddie and Alex were rather boring and would have been happy playing generic hard rock for years. In fact, this sort of tension made the band brilliant in those days. Eddie ended up humoring Dave when Dave requested something "reggae-sounding" (Dave had probably just listened to a Police hit or something). Funny, but this doesn't sound even remotely like a reggae song. And the opening seconds are almost cheesy. But then, as Dave begins mumbling into the mic ("Does it seem cold in here to you"...POOP BOY loves that line) and then croons out some easy lines ("Some people live apart and they break your heart so damn easy...And then one night in stunning victory, she decides and you agree...she's leaving"), the groove becomes masterful. I love Eddie's guitar sound on this (he definitely was leaving behind that echoed, chorusy sound, panned dead-left, that he depended on for the first three albums). And his amazing solo, apparently recorded at four in the morning when Dave and Templeman weren't in the studio, is yet another shining example of his best work. The fact that the song doesn't really have a killer chorus or undeniable hook can't be denied. But as an exercise in groove and attitude, this song can't be beat.

SO THIS IS LOVE
This is another one that would have been right at home on the first album. In fact, for that very reason, it actually has always felt a little out of place to me. It's almost too FUN for the FAIR WARNING album. But I still love it. The opening lines have always totally representative of Dave's fool-may-care attitude: "Well my baby's on the corner and she's lookin' so fine". Fucking-A. Funny how few people have pointed out how much the chorus has similarities to the first loud section in IN A SIMPLE RHYME from the previous album. Anyway, the live version from Oakland is stunning. I wouldn't say this is among my favorites on the album. But it definitely was sequences at the point in the album because ending an album with PUSH COMES TO SHOVE and the last two tracks would have been a little too downbeat. As an exercise in early Van Halen party music, this song is perfect.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON IN THE PARK
You know you're in trouble when this is one of the only Classic Van Halen songs the band played during its Sammy days. Mikey played this as part of his solo on the band's very corporate FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE tour. Actually, Ed wrote this song and played it on synthesizer. I've never had a problem with it. But I don't think it's very good. I think losing this track and instead putting in another actual song here would have been wiser. It is kind of sad that this self-indulgent solo piece (complete with unnatural effects distortion in its opener) sits comfortably in the band's catalogue while a great song like BIG TROUBLES remains unreleased. Anyway, send me your insulting PMs.

ONE FOOT OUT THE DOOR
Maybe it's because I've always felt the band chose to close such a stellar album with two throw-away tracks that I've always thought of FAIR WARNING only as "almost perfect" instead of "perfect". I know some fans really love this track. Hell, MAX was telling me the other day how great he thinks this is. And I agree that it's kind of cool to hear the band pull off something so spontaneous. But at the same time, I think it's recorded so badly and doesn't have ANY hook at all that it just never did much for me. I don't even know what it's about. And I don't like Ed's rather self-indulgent riffing. (That is a synthesizer, right?) Anyway, again, PM me with your insults. But I've always considered it a shame that the album didn't have two unbelievable kickass closers. If it had, it would have been the perfect Van Halen album in EVERY way.

This was the first real STUDIO Van Halen album. In this case, Dave managed to still get his personality into Eddie's ground-breaking music. But because it didn't sell as well as the other albums, Dave definitely got the upper-hand for DIVER DOWN (an album that more closely followed the blueprint of the first album). In fact, FAIR WARNING didn't receive a real follow-up until 1984 . And that was during a period in which Ed was more interested in writing pop songs. In fact, Ed didn't really try to be this dark or self-indulgent again until the band's VH3 album. And, unfortunately, he had the idiot from Extreme with him to take that journey. Thus, Van Halen fans ended up with another interesting guitar album...but one with awful singing and mostly horrible songs.

So will there ever be another FAIR WARNING? Probably not. If Dave ever rejoins the band again, Eddie will need to be on another plane of both dangerousness and creativity. And in his current drunken state, is that likely to happen? Uh...no.

Now go crank this fucker!!!

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd600/d665/d6655488n5n.jpg

diamondsgirl
11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Nice, Rikk. :)

I love this album and IMO it is their best. Sinners Swing, So This is Love, Unchained, and Mean Street are all time favorites of mine.

DavidLeeNatra
11-21-2004, 07:52 PM
rikk...once again...stellar post...and to me FW will always kind of be THE album...has "UNCHAINED" on it...my defloration to the mighty VH...changed something in my life...I still feel the magic when the unbelievable scream sets in over the as well unbelievable opening riff...

Switch84
11-21-2004, 09:28 PM
:D ;) :p I ain't reading all of that shit! Fair Warning is my second fave CVH album (second to the first one, with "1984" close on its heels.)

It's defintely one that stays in my stereo!

DavidLeeNatra
11-21-2004, 10:06 PM
post #2000 this one :D

ashstralia
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
i think fw is my fave album,
(so hard to choose!)

i'd also like to add that
i think the "so this is love"
solo, and the end solo,
and the 'plink plink' ending,
always blew me away.

ALinChainz
11-21-2004, 11:45 PM
The scream Dave belts out in the opening of Unchained ...

HE IS THE PARTY.

Matt White
11-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Stellar review Rikk!
FAIR WARNING is my favorite VAN HALEN album. Front to back, classic DAVE & killer guitar.
UNCHAINED, HEAR ABOUT IT LATER, SO THIS IS LOVE?, MEANSTREETS, SINNERS SWING!.....FUCKING CLASSIC.

sambo
11-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Cool post Rikk, nice work.

FW rocks, certainly CVH at their most dangerous, and exciting..

"Push Comes To Shove" - one of my favourite grooves

aesop
11-22-2004, 01:51 AM
FW brings a tear to me eye. Great job!

moose
11-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Rikk, once again "FANTASTIC".
Fair Warning rules.:D

light 'em up!
11-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I was at the VH show in Oakland, June 12, 1981. It was my High School graduation party!

And what a pary it was.

It was my 4th and final Van Halen concert. That was over 23 years ago.

Damn.

Rikk
11-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by light 'em up!
I was at the VH show in Oakland, June 12, 1981. It was my High School graduation party!

And what a pary it was.

It was my 4th and final Van Halen concert. That was over 23 years ago.

Damn.

Wow! You were at that show?

Lucky, lucky, lucky.

ODShowtime
11-22-2004, 11:29 AM
One Foot Out the Door has one of Ed's best solos ever....

Atomic_Rob
11-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Quality post there. Fair Warning is my favourite album Sinner's Swing, Unchained and So This Is Love are my 3 favourite VH songs.

Those videos you mentioned are legendry. The opening with Unchained and Dave doin the jump is fuckin brilliant. Its a shame that the sisters don't care enough about the fans to actually do the restoration just because there isn't anywhere near as much Roth stuff as there should be.

Bill Lumbergh
11-22-2004, 12:10 PM
How could you diss Dirty Movies like that motherfucker! I'm taking my vote back! ;)

Rikk
11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
How could you diss Dirty Movies like that motherfucker! I'm taking my vote back! ;)

LOL!

I didn't diss it, bitch. I just said I don't like it the way I like the other tracks on the album. Classic VH has a VERY high standard for me. DIRTY MOVIES is better than 99% of other bands' songs. But for me its not quite as good as cuts like MEAN STREET or UNCHAINED.;)

Andertime
11-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Great job Rikk. FW is my favorite album of all time. I was beggining to wonder if you were ever going to post this review.:) Again, stellar job.

Rikk
11-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Andertime
Great job Rikk. FW is my favorite album of all time. I was beggining to wonder if you were ever going to post this review.:) Again, stellar job.

Thanks my friend!

I saved one of the best for last!!!;)

DrMaddVibe
11-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Their defining moment in Rock n' Roll!

Their debut let you know they were special.

Their second effort was rounded with leftovers from the 1st.

WACF put the bar higher.

Fair Warning - STELLAR

Diver Down - Mediocre for them but still it's Van Halen.

1984 - Made up for everything that Diver Down wasn't! They listened to their fans and paid us back with interest. Little did we know then that it would be their last real effort in the recording studio. Yeah, they recorded again, and Me Wise Magic is awesome, but I have a sneaking suspicion that even Dave knew the knife was being placed firmly in his back...AGAIN!

BITEYOASS
11-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Great album to listen to when your pissed off and wanna beat the living shit out of somebody! IMO :D

Switch84
11-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by BITEYOASS
Great album to listen to when your pissed off and wanna beat the living shit out of somebody! IMO :D

;) So THAT'S what Ron Artest and the Indiana Pacers were listening to at Friday's Pistons game? They didn't expect the fans to return the favor.....

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

RogueHorseman
11-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Great review, Rikk...

Your line "You could say this is the band's KASHMIR. It's majestic, dangerous and just as amazing so many years later" applies for me in spades.

Nickdfresh
11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
A very interesting article, I need to get this remaster still.

I think "Hear About it Later" is one of the best Van Halen songs ever performed live, or what I'm trying to say is that song is a very good album track effort, but somehow it really shines when played live.

Funny enough, the band often seemed to record their most ground-breaking albums when they were peaking with tension. This and 1984 both were created during periods in which band members were practically hating each other. Eddie Van Halen was flirting with the idea of leaving the band (supposedly because he couldn't take Dave's antics anymore) and even possibly joining KISS. In Gene Simmon's poor autobiography, KISS AND MAKE-UP, he tells of an incident in which he told Eddie to stay with the band and "put up" with Dave. Eddie takes his advice (although he did record a few solos, apparently not used, for KISS's CREATURES OF THE NIGHT album).

I didn't know that! I was thumbing through that very "poor" biography and considered buying it at a cut rate book store last night but I didn't 'cause Simmon's is such a shameless merchandiser.

Andertime
11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
As much as I love FW, I think I love 1984 just as much. I was cruising around in my wife's late model Dodge Caravan (I know, that's pathetic) last night cranking 1984. Top Jimmy if fucking great, the entire song is awesome, Dave's vocals, Ed's guitar, Wow! Anyway, back to the topic.

Rikk
11-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Andertime
As much as I love FW, I think I love 1984 just as much. I was cruising around in my wife's late model Dodge Caravan (I know, that's pathetic) last night cranking 1984. Top Jimmy if fucking great, the entire song is awesome, Dave's vocals, Ed's guitar, Wow! Anyway, back to the topic.

Actually, as much as I love FAIR WARNING, 1984 will always be my personal favorite.

ODShowtime
11-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Don't forget how bad-ass the album art is! http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd600/d665/d6655488n5n.jpg I know we all love seeing someone getting punched in the nose.

FW's cover would be by far the best if 1984 hadn't come along. Too bad I can't find a vinyl copy anywhere!

Rikk
11-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Don't forget how bad-ass the album art is! http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd600/d665/d6655488n5n.jpg I know we all love seeing someone getting punched in the nose.

FW's cover would be by far the best if 1984 hadn't come along. Too bad I can't find a vinyl copy anywhere!

I bet you could find a good vinyl copy on E-BAY. Have you looked there yet?

ODShowtime
11-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
I bet you could find a good vinyl copy on E-BAY. Have you looked there yet?

Good idea Rikk. I always looked upon my vinyl collecting as a treasure hunt through crappy yard sales and record stores, but I may have to start checking on E-bay. Thanks for the obvious, yet very useful tip!

Bootyac
11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Fuck yeah!!!Unchained is the shit!!

Dont know if its their best..well could be,but its not my fav..Aint talkin bout love has that spot.

DVH225
11-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Fair Warning to me is the perfect CD to fit anger...As someone said. There is absolutely nothing like cranking "Unchained" in a Corvette going 80 MPH, sending the obvious message of "Screw You"...A moment which I got to experience lately, I am still trying to regain my hearing completely.

Long live CVH, Sammy can choke on a turtle wang!

DVH225

Panamark
11-24-2004, 08:04 AM
Excellent review Rikk (as per usual)
I actually agree with you on Dirty Movies.
The melody is the same as the Beatles,

"Baby you can drive my Car"
"Yes Im going to be a star"

"Pictures on the Silver screen"
"Greatest thing you've ever seen"

Compare the two melodies...
Its always bothered me.....

but the rest of the album is the best !!!

Hear about it later, Unchained and Meanstreet on the
same album ???

How can it fail ?

Another great post, Rikk.....

ELVIS
11-24-2004, 08:25 AM
That similarity never struck me...

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a bit of a stretch...

DeadOrAlive
11-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Hear About It Later... you HAVE to love this song!!

Terry
11-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Even if I don't agree with everything he writes, totally dig what Rikk has to say in his reviews, and have been looking forward to this particular review for a while.

Fair Warning was the apex. CVH went on to become bigger after 1981, but this was as good as it gets.

Sinner's Swing.....man, I listen to that track and by the time the guitar solo has ended and they launch into the chorus again, that band is just fucking splitting the earth open.

Would almost agree that Eddie dominated the album to a degree, but the WHOLE BAND was just smoking.

Always looked at Sunday Afternoon in the Park and One Foot Out the Door as one track. Great solo by EVH on OFOTD. Kind of did wind the album down in that SAITP/OFOTD wasn't quite as strong as what had come before it, agreed. But Dirty Movies is a classic.

Fantastic stuff, Rikk! Great detail on the background info, too. As usual, you put it all into the context of the times surrounding it.

Want to believe you on the rumors of the footage in the can from the 1981 tour. Getting any previously unofficially released classic live footage/audio along with CVH studio outakes/alternate cuts put out to the public is about all Alex and Co have left to offer.

DLRdelight!
11-24-2004, 10:13 PM
This is personally one of my favorites, but then again, they all are, but this one is special, every song just kicks so much ass......."and nothing stays the same!!"

Rikk
11-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Even if I don't agree with everything he writes, totally dig what Rikk has to say in his reviews, and have been looking forward to this particular review for a while.

Thanks for the very kind words, Terry. Seriously...that's some really cool shit and I appreciate it, brother.

I now raise my glass to you.

Roth on, brother!;)

Panamark
11-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
That similarity never struck me...

I hear what you're saying, but I think it's a bit of a stretch...

I dont think the whole song sounds like it. Just that part of
the chorus. In fact after getting to know Dirty Movies,
whenever I hear "Baby you can drive my car",
I think of Van Halen.

Ive got a bad habit of hearing melodic similarities between
songs. I could probably start a whole thread on it..

I think Dirty Movies is a cool song, but I can hear that
melodic similarity quite clearly on those two lines..

And its one of those things, where once you notice it,
you notice it for good..

diamondsgirl
11-25-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I dont think the whole song sounds like it. Just that part of
the chorus. In fact after getting to know Dirty Movies,
whenever I heard "Baby you can drive my car",
I would think of Van Halen.

Ive got a bad habit of hearing melodic similarities between
songs. I could probably start a whole thread on it..

I think Dirty Movies is a cool song, but I can hear that
melodic similarity quite clearly on those two lines..

And its one of those things, where once you notice it,
you notice it for good..

I never noticed it before you said it, but now I do. And you're right, I probably always will.

Cool idea for a thread, btw. :)

Panamark
11-25-2004, 01:00 AM
DG !! Thanks, you can hear it too. :)

I promise not to ruin any other Van Halen songs :p

(Theres another one that springs to mind, but its
too good a song to use as an example)

diamondsgirl
11-25-2004, 01:12 AM

Now I'm curious. ;)

Panamark
11-25-2004, 01:18 AM
Trust me, its too sacred, its one of those things that you are better off not knowing :)

diamondsgirl
11-25-2004, 01:19 AM
I trust you... :)

Rikk
11-25-2004, 01:35 AM
DG !! Thanks, you can hear it too. :)

I promise not to ruin any other Van Halen songs :p

K...now I want to hear this! Which song?

Panamark
11-25-2004, 02:05 AM
Damn, Ive incited the curiosty demon !!!

Terry
11-25-2004, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the very kind words, Terry. Seriously...that's some really cool shit and I appreciate it, brother.

I now raise my glass to you.

Roth on, brother!;)

Right back atcha, but the thanks goes to you. Reading your reviews is a pure pleasure.

secrets
11-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Damn, Ive incited the curiosty demon !!!

I bet it's the chorus from Hear about it Later. That reminds me a bit of a Rolling Stones song but I can't remember the name of it.

Fair Warning is what it's all about. The strongest album along with their first.

Rikk
11-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by secrets
I bet it's the chorus from Hear about it Later. That reminds me a bit of a Rolling Stones song but I can't remember the name of it.

Fair Warning is what it's all about. The strongest album along with their first.

"I don't wanna hear about it later"

"Let's spend the night together"

Yup. It is almost exactly the same. LOL.

Rikk
11-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Right back atcha, but the thanks goes to you. Reading your reviews is a pure pleasure.

Thanks bro! I'll write off another one in maybe a month.:)

secrets
11-25-2004, 04:50 PM

Yeah that could be it. Still love that song all the same.

SweetSecrets
11-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Rikk! You need to print that post, frame it, and send it to all the Rock encyclopedia publishers. That is so awesome. Well written!

Did you major in journalism?

Hehehe!

Rock and roll.

diamondsgirl
11-25-2004, 08:54 PM

wow..

very cool

diamondsgirl
11-25-2004, 08:56 PM
and congrats Rikk on 100 votes

RogueHorseman
11-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Probably the most famous case was George Harrison being sued, and losing, for the melody of "My Sweet Lord" being too close to the old Chiffons song "He's So Fine".

If you really look at it note for note, you can see it. But listening, even after knowing the fact, I never quite heard it. George always maintained that while it may have been true, it was absolutely unintentional. Simply a case of him being influenced by the song, which happens to all artists, naturally.

Similar lyrics is kind of a different realm than melodies, but I did catch the line from Hear About It Later right away being a big Stones junkie and all.

The thing that gets me is how common the blatant, out and out rip off of classic melodies and riffs is today. Not talking about royalty paid sampling, either... I hear it all the time, bits and pieces all over the place, and they knowingly get away with it.

All "new" music is borrowed and expanded upon from what came before, of course, but the little sh*ts flat out stealing stirs me up.

aesop
11-25-2004, 09:25 PM
[i]
All "new" music is borrowed and expanded upon from what came before, of course, but the little sh*ts flat out stealing stirs me up. [/B]

Hey where would Vanilla Ice be without Queen?

RogueHorseman
11-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by RogueHorseman
Similar lyrics is kind of a different realm than melodies, but I did catch the line from Hear About It Later right away being a big Stones junkie and all.

Obviously, one can hear the influence of The Rolling Stones in Van Halen... and in lots of Roth's solo work, as well.

The Zeppelin connection is often attached to Fair Warning, and I don't deny it one second, but to me I have always heard a lot of Stones influence on FW, too.

Not to discount it is generally "darker" than most anything The Stones released, but the basic backbeat throughout and Ed's tone harkens back to Sticky Fingers, etc. if you ask me.

Anyone else?

Halen High
11-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Thanks again Rikk!

I probably listen to Fair Warning more than any other Van Halen album theses days. I love the heavy, funky kind of groove they came up with. I think 'One Foot Out the Door' is underated. So cool how Eddie just takes off with the solo and ends the song that way. He was untouchable then.

I think the artwork for the album is one of the coolest ever. Imagine teenagers taking that album home and their parents seeing the cover resting on the speakers as 'Mean Street' blasts out. A dangerous band indeed!

Halen High
11-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Obviously, one can hear the influence of The Rolling Stones in Van Halen... and in lots of Roth's solo work, as well.

The Zeppelin connection is often attached to Fair Warning, and I don't deny it one second, but to me I have always heard a lot of Stones influence on FW, too.

Not to discount it is generally "darker" than most anything The Stones released, but the basic backbeat throughout and Ed's tone harkens back to Sticky Fingers, etc. if you ask me.

Anyone else?

'Push Comes to Shove' reminds me of a Stones song on 'Tattoo You'. Can't think what it's called now, could be 'Just Waiting on a Friend' Is that on there? Same kind of vibe.

FW is certainly a darker album than VH's previous work. Kind of captures the moment of the transition from the 'sunshine and optimism' of the mid-late 70s to the explosion of urban crime and violence of the early 80s.

RogueHorseman
11-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
'Push Comes to Shove' reminds me of a Stones song on 'Tattoo You'. Can't think what it's called now, could be 'Just Waiting on a Friend' Is that on there? Same kind of vibe.

Well, I hear what you are saying, but both Tattoo You and Fair Warning were released in 81, so...

Give a listen to "Bitch" from Sticky Fingers, followed by "Unchained" sometime.

Rikk
11-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by SweetSecrets
Rikk! You need to print that post, frame it, and send it to all the Rock encyclopedia publishers. That is so awesome. Well written!

Did you major in journalism?

Hehehe!

Rock and roll.

Thanks so much, doll. Truly...thanks.

I enjoy writing. I'm actually going to Teacher's College later this year, so I suppose it will go to some use!

Thanks again for the kind words! You rock!

Rikk
11-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by diamondsgirl
and congrats Rikk on 100 votes

Thanks babe.;)

Halen High
11-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, I hear what you are saying, but both Tattoo You and Fair Warning were released in 81, so...

Give a listen to "Bitch" from Sticky Fingers, followed by "Unchained" sometime.

Looks like I should do myself a favour and get a copy of 'Sticky Fingers'.

Yes, I thought both FW and Tattoo You were released the same year. I just thought the vibe of the two songs were similar rather than insinuating any direct influence of Tattoo You on FW.

RogueHorseman
11-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Halen High
Looks like I should do myself a favour and get a copy of 'Sticky Fingers'.

Yes, I thought both FW and Tattoo You were released the same year. I just thought the vibe of the two songs were similar rather than insinuating any direct influence of Tattoo You on FW.

Oh, I know, and they are similar but with PCTS being more somber. Love Ed's "restrained" work on Push... brilliant.

I really do think Eddie hit his zenith on FW, no two ways about it.

And yes, run, don't walk and grab a copy of Sticky Fingers!

Halen High
11-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Oh, I know, and they are similar but with PCTS being more somber. Love Ed's "restrained" work on Push... brilliant.

I really do think Eddie hit his zenith on FW, no two ways about it.

And yes, run, don't walk and grab a copy of Sticky Fingers!

I've got an uncle who is a serious record collector. Loves all the classic stuff from the 60s and 70s and I bet he's got a copy just ready to burn.

I think Dweezil Zappa cites Eddie's solo on PCTS as his all-time favourite solo. Yeah I love Eddie's work on that song.

aesop
11-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Does anyone else here have an original 'sticky fingers' LP? Man, they don't make 'em like THAT anymore lol. ZZzzzzziiippp.

fwacf
11-27-2004, 11:25 AM
That was the album that defined my summer as a kid on the Jersey Shore...

Blacklisted
11-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Rikk and Nickdfresh making love people.

DLR would not approve.

Nickdfresh
11-29-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Blacklisted
Parmelly and Fugepacklisted making love to many men.

DLR would not approve.

No argument dude.

Blacklisted
12-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Nickdfresh and Rikk making beautiful music together.

Bill Lumbergh
12-01-2004, 12:20 PM

DLR would not approve. But I do. Man on man love is what "gets me up" in the morning. Did you all know Sinners Swing was about gay sex?

Nickdfresh
12-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Anyways ma' bitchs I am gonna spamk my monkey and retire for the night.

I fucking pwn this thread from here on out because I would like to actually see what you look like in real life Matt, Nick, & Rikk. Because I am sooo hot for you as I am really very gay!

I'm 23 single, fat, ignored, below average intelligence, gay, neglected, and jerkin' off to those pictures i posted. Yeah!

Couldn't agree more!

aesop
12-01-2004, 03:10 PM

DLR would not approve.

OK does every thread in this joint need to have this crap injected into it? For the love of Christ...

Matt White
12-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by aesop
Does anyone else here have an original 'sticky fingers' LP? Man, they don't make 'em like THAT anymore lol. ZZzzzzziiippp.

Right fucking on Aesop!!!
How about Physical Graffiti, with the scenes in the windows, or IN through the Out Door in the Brown paper Bag!!!
Lps RULE!!!

Skyscraper87
12-01-2004, 06:22 PM
Fair Warning was the first album I ever bought, and I still listen to it now as much as I ever did. First album I listened to without skipping through a single note, and I can still sit and enjoy it as if I were still 13 playing my first guitar.

Rikk
12-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Right fucking on Aesop!!!
How about Physical Graffiti, with the scenes in the windows, or IN through the Out Door in the Brown paper Bag!!!
Lps RULE!!!

Just the fact that the covers are bigger, the pictures are bigger...there are a ton of great things about LPs.

Blacklisted
12-01-2004, 06:44 PM
I have sticky fingers (with the zipper cover) and Physical Graffiti on LP.

Very cool albums.

Physical Graffiti is my fav Zeppelin. I was just listening to that actually as I cleaned the kitchen 20 minutes ago. Bron-yr-aur, great acoustic work.

blueturk
12-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Alice Cooper (the old BAND) put out some great packages too.The calender in "Killer",the fold-out desk on "School's Out",and everything but the kitchen sink in "Billion Dollar Babies".$5.00 went a long way back then!

Rikk
12-02-2004, 03:31 AM
I have sticky fingers (with the zipper cover) and Physical Graffiti on LP.

Very cool albums.

Physical Graffiti is my fav Zeppelin. I was just listening to that actually as I cleaned the kitchen 20 minutes ago. Bron-yr-aur, great acoustic work.

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI is also (IMO) the best Zeppelin album. These days, my favorite is PRESENCE. But PHYSICAL has everything. And the LP version...I never owned that. But I can only imagine.

Rikk
12-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by blueturk
Alice Cooper (the old BAND) put out some great packages too.The calender in "Killer",the fold-out desk on "School's Out",and everything but the kitchen sink in "Billion Dollar Babies".$5.00 went a long way back then!

Man, I wish CD packaging had the same creativity vinyl did. KISS albums also apparently came with all this cool shit...an actual gun cut out that came with the LOVE GUN album.

Bill Lumbergh
12-02-2004, 03:41 AM
PHYSICAL GRAFFITI is also (IMO) the best Zeppelin album. These days, my favorite is PRESENCE. But PHYSICAL has everything. And the LP version...I never owned that. But I can only imagine.

My fave has always been Houses........ it's so different, and the songs vary so much from track to track. "The Song Remains The Same" is my favorite Zep tune. Can you wrong go wrong with any of those albums though?

LookN4AMootBeat
12-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Skyscraper87
Fair Warning was the first album I ever bought, and I still listen to it now as much as I ever did. First album I listened to without skipping through a single note, and I can still sit and enjoy it as if I were still 13 playing my first guitar.

Right on man, same here.

DrMaddVibe
12-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by blueturk

I gotta shout out for the packaging of "Muscle Of Love"...complete with book cover!!! I crack up every time I look at it!

Blacklisted
12-02-2004, 12:12 PM
My fave has always been Houses........ it's so different, and the songs vary so much from track to track. "The Song Remains The Same" is my favorite Zep tune. Can you wrong go wrong with any of those albums though?

Yah Zeppelin is great classic band. I like it all myself. Physical Graffiti on LP is pretty cool (Rikk) it sounds very nice.

Houses is amazing, The Song Remains The Same is such a classic.

Down By The Seaside is my fav song off of Physical. Cool mellow slide guitar in it.

LP's are so sweet. VH is so fucking wicked on LP so loud and the way it is meant to sound. Especially 1984, you throw the cd on when you are pumpin' Hot For Teacher, the bass just is not there like the LP.

DavidLeeNatra
12-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Just the fact that the covers are bigger, the pictures are bigger...there are a ton of great things about LPs.

I always liked the artwork of the maiden covers...doesn't work on cd at all...

Bill Lumbergh
12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Yah Zeppelin is great classic band. I like it all myself. Physical Graffiti on LP is pretty cool (Rikk) it sounds very nice.

Houses is amazing, The Song Remains The Same is such a classic.

Down By The Seaside is my fav song off of Physical. Cool mellow slide guitar in it.

LP's are so sweet. VH is so fucking wicked on LP so loud and the way it is meant so sound. Especially 1984, you throw the cd on when you are pumpin' Hot For Teacher, the bass just is not there like the LP.

Cool, not many people have ever complimented Down by the Seaside. A lot of people consider it a throwaway, but I fuckin' love it.

Blacklisted
12-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Yah
Cool, not many people have ever complimented Down by the Seaside. A lot of people consider it a throwaway, but I fuckin' love it.

Yah. I like to let Bron-yr-aur and Down By The Seaside run together. Well I usually throw on the whole LP but... But on my comp I will listen to the two songs in sequence.

Yah Maiden covers are pretty sweet. I have a re-print of the Number of The Beast. Another great sounding LP.

flappo
12-03-2004, 02:12 PM
personally i prefer vh 1 to fw

knowing it was recorded live is the icing on the cake

'masterpiece' doesn't do that album justice , imho it surpasses anything the beatles / queen or zep ever produced

Blacklisted
12-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by flappo
personally i prefer vh 1 to fw

knowing it was recorded live is the icing on the cake

'masterpiece' doesn't do that album justice , imho it surpasses anything the beatles / queen or zep ever produced

You know what they say about opinions. They are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

flappo
12-03-2004, 03:05 PM
you're starting to annoy me , shithead

you wanna take me on ?

:D

go ahead , make my day

BIG GOOSE
12-05-2004, 02:33 AM

Fuck,I've thought the same thing for years now this seals it.:D

Rikk
12-05-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
Fuck,I've thought the same thing for years now this seals it.:D

Songwriting is about borrowing. And that's cool!;)

Bill Lumbergh
12-05-2004, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
Fuck,I've thought the same thing for years now this seals it.:I also think Dirty Movies sucks..........I mean, it's no Amsterdam. God, Dave couldnt write lyrics to save his life. I mean, where's the aliens? Where's the love and understanding? Porn stars are taken advantage of daily, I cant believe he would write about THAT subject. And Ed's too cool to describe guitar tone? I'm not into that either, bitches. Top of the World or the grave.D

Oh, then you agree with Rikk!:D

Rikk
12-05-2004, 03:42 AM
Japanese BALANCE is the greatest thing since the reacharound.

Bill Lumbergh
12-05-2004, 03:44 AM
I especially loved the alternate cover..........right up there with Frankie Goes to Hollywoods classic covers.

flappo
12-05-2004, 03:50 AM
plop

*edit* Don't worry Flappo and I are cool. :)

Max

Rikk
12-05-2004, 03:54 AM
At first, I didn't get that, FLAPPO. But now I see the BALANCE reference.

I wonder what Hitler would have thought of Van Hagar.

Bill Lumbergh
12-05-2004, 03:57 AM
How the fuck does Flappo only have a four star vote?

Rikk
12-05-2004, 04:18 AM

Simple. Some people at this site don't have a fucking sense of humor. FLAPPO is hilarious.:p

flappo
12-05-2004, 04:20 AM
i don't mean any real harm , i save that for the hagar loving shitheads that seep over here from the linx

Rikk
12-05-2004, 04:20 AM
i don't mean any real harm , i save that for the hagar loving shitheads that seep over here from the linx

Nothing wrong with that. You sure did hate BT.:p

flappo
12-05-2004, 04:24 AM
this pic is seminal

its the first ever popgear and was made by mr grimsdale in the dump in early 2002

they should erect a monument to it

( he said erect - ooer missus )

MAX
12-05-2004, 04:38 AM
I must say how GRATE and what a pleasure it is having Flappo bless us with his presence in MAIN!!!!

To what do we owe such an honor? :)

Flappo is da man!!!

MAX
12-05-2004, 04:39 AM
Nothing wrong with that. You sure did hate BT.:p

Flappo OWNS BT!!!!!

Nickdfresh
12-05-2004, 08:25 AM

Did I not vote for Flappo yet? Five stars for the Katydid tormenter!

Nickdfresh
12-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Did I not vote for Flappo yet? Five stars for the Katydid tormenter!

I also haven't voted for you yet Mr. Lumberg. That shall be rectified!

Can you burn me that Frankie Goes to Hollywood boot you have? I'll trade you that for a copy of my 'Live Without a Net' DVD!

P.S. Sorry about the Bonds comment, I was way out of line!

flappo
12-05-2004, 05:18 PM
i don't mind if you edit my stuff

i love this site and i love dlr

:)

MAX
12-05-2004, 05:26 PM

Yeah but Flappo, you are kind of like royalty? You know? ;) :)

Phil theStalker
12-05-2004, 05:55 PM

Are you on Ecstasy again?

:spank:

BlimpyCHIMP™
12-06-2004, 03:29 PM
DOES DAVE WRITE ANY LYRICS LIKE WHAT WAS ON FAIR WARNING ANYMORE?

BC!!
MAYBE HE SHOULD REHIRE THAT GHOST WRITER AGAIN- HE COULD USE THE DOUGH THAT WOULD BRING IN ON A NEW RECORD

Mothereffer
12-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Eddie said in an interview that "Fair Warning" STIFFED - his words - when it was first released. But recently he says many musicians come up to him and say the record was a major influence.

I for one rushed out and bought it and it always was my fave VH record next to the first one.

Every song on it is great - even the instrumental.

And the VH tour of '81 which I caught a glimpse of at Maple Leaf Gardens was amazing. Van Halen was riding a major wave at that point and were mere moments away from massive popularity.

Ya, you hit the ground runnin!

flappo
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
yeah , it is an amazing album

they seemed to make 3 amazing ones interspersed with 3 mediocre ones

vh1-grate
vh2-ok
wacf-grate

nah , thats a shit idea

hahah

whoops

flappo
12-07-2004, 04:00 PM
ok , vh 2 and dd's covers sucked

apart from that the first 6 albums are easily the best american hard rock EVER recorded

Diamondjimi
12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Atomic_Rob

Those videos you mentioned are legendry. The opening with Unchained and Dave doin the jump is fuckin brilliant. Its a shame that the sisters don't care enough about the fans to actually do the restoration just because there isn't anywhere near as much Roth stuff as there should be.

Ain't that the fuckin truth Mate !!!

Rikk
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
ok , vh 2 and dd's covers sucked

apart from that the first 6 albums are easily the best american hard rock EVER recorded

Yup. Pretty much hit it on the head.

The only great debate some of us have is VH1 vs. FAIR WARNING vs. 1984. I go for 1984. I think it's the most creative. Some fans prefer the edge of FAIR WARNING. Some fans prefer the rawness of VH1. Those are the three most common "favorites" and there are fans that love two of those but detest the third one.

Me? I love every VH album. But the first is actually my least favorite of the six-pack. I think there were songs on the demos that were better, like BIG TROUBLES, SHE'S THE WOMAN, LET'S GET ROCKIN' or PUT OUT THE LIGHTS.

BIG GOOSE
12-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Oh, then you agree with Rikk!:D

:lol:

Seshmeister
12-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I also haven't voted for you yet Mr. Lumberg. That shall be rectified!

Can you burn me that Frankie Goes to Hollywood boot you have? I'll trade you that for a copy of my 'Live Without a Net' DVD!

P.S. Sorry about the Bonds comment, I was way out of line!

<marquee scollamount=10>GAYSTAR ALERT!</marquee>

Nickdfresh
12-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister [/b]

Hey Sesh, your kid has a message for you from me!:DCheers!:gulp:

DrMaddVibe
12-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Somebody say Fair Warning....

DavidLeeNatra
12-17-2004, 06:30 PM
hope that dime's killer has no brother reading this...

tjvhou812
12-17-2004, 08:29 PM
fair warning great cd period

academic punk
12-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Lots of great stuff, some really good, but - as has been stated - "Sunday Afternoon in the Park" and "One Foot Out the Door" reduce the album to merely great. It even sounds like Dave is talking about these two songs in the title of "One Foot out the Door": "ah, the albums' basically done, and we've got great stuff like "Unchained" and "So This is Love?" on here, screw these last two things, I'm headin' over to the strip club". If they left those two off, and added two or three more songs that are on the level of "Sinners Swing!!!" and "Push Comes to Shove" (actually, I'm not such a big fan of this tunes chorus, either), it'd be a CLASSIC.

"Hey, you remember when that girl was prom queen?"

Rikk
12-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
"Hey, you remember when that girl was prom queen?"

"TAKE IT OFF!!!!" (applause)

Hecubus
12-27-2004, 10:17 PM
My fave =VH= album. Their best? No. I'll give that to I, but the overall vibe on this one is much more......I dunno, appealing in a dark way...

Rikk
05-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Been listening to the six-pack a LOT this week. I want to bump these and maybe get some good discussion.:) I'm proud of these write-ups I did.

Nickdfresh
05-25-2005, 09:57 PM
I just purchased this segment of the six-pack! I loves the FAIR WARNINGs!:D

Matt White
05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
FAIR WARNING: THE CROWN JEWEL OF CLASSIC VAN HALEN RECORDINGS!!!

Redballjets88
05-26-2005, 11:07 AM
i cant take fair warning over any other cvh album...but then again i cant take any other vh album over fw.....they are all tied for 1st to me

Hollywood Jesus
05-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Been blasting FW all week!!! Nice review.

I love Hear About It Later and Unchained, especially. I find myself repeating these two ad nauseum.

In fact, I end up playing the opening 30 seconds of Unchained over and over... That riff! That scream! The pure audio adrenaline!

My 14-year-old son was stunned when I corrected him that Unchained was just one guitarist.

Honestly, I have a tough time playing much on FW after Unchained diddles out. I mean why litens to some synthesizer dog barking when Mean Streets is just a few clicks away???

NATEDOG001976
05-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Fair Warning rocks, hey man..can you write my school papers too? LOL

Rikk
05-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
Fair Warning rocks, hey man..can you write my school papers too? LOL

:p

$300 a paper.:)

DLRisGOD
05-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Fair Warning gets heavy rotation in the computer CD player at work, that's for sure...

Awesome album with a sound and atmosphere that seperates it from other CVH moments...

DLR and the boys at their rough-and-tumble BEST!

Dirty Movies is one of my favorite CVH songs ever, but it took a few listens before it really grabbed me by the balls and sunk in...Dave's ad-libs and interludes make any song better the more you hear it...LOL

Classic Review!

DLR7884
08-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Test.

DLR7884
MAIN or PEN?

DLR7884
08-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Sweet.

DLR7884
The copy function works.

Steve Savicki
12-20-2005, 02:55 PM
This thread belongs in the main discussion forum.

bueno bob
12-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki

Fuck off, Steve.

:D

Matt White
05-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki

It started in MAIN...and was moved to the PEN when it expanded....since RIKK had done the reviews of the 6-pack.....

You'd know that if you'd put down your Power Rangers for 2 minutes...:p

Matt White
05-23-2006, 10:02 AM
In celebration of FAIR WARNING turning 25....ENJOY

Matt White
05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
FAIR WARNING...25 years old

1981 was a STELLAR YEAR for ROCK

Unchainme
05-16-2007, 05:35 PM
BUMP

Unchainme
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
UNCHAINED
Probably the best track the band ever recorded. From the amazing chorus to the once-in-a-lifetime riff, from the incredible flange to the wonderful lyrics...this song alone demonstrates why Sammy Hagar should have declined politely in 1985 when Ed asked him to join the band. How anyone could feel they could ever follow this song up with anything is beyond me. This is not only incredibly catchy (this should have been a #1 single) but is also a high-octane, concert-opening, barnstorming Van Halen rocker. It has the great Van Halen rhythm section (before they started going on autopilot a few years later) and some of Ed's best guitar work (including what he considers maybe his greatest solo). I could go on and on about the lyrics or Dave's legendary "one break comin' up" line (responding to Ted Templeman's "C'mon Dave, gimme a break question from the control room). But we're all read that before. BTW, have any of you ever heard the live versions that Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone have performed? If so, have a few drinks, listen to this version again (or watch the Oakland video version) and all will be good on Earth again.

this needs to be necro-posted bad, after seeing what I just saw in House of Music.

Unchainme
03-20-2011, 03:41 PM
To me, this album just represents everything that is Classic Van Halen..

Just certain elements just seem to mix in well musically. You can hear this quick-kick-assedness of Punk Rock, mixed in with some Metal sound, and this over-all pop "stuck in your head" sound, hell even toss in Dave playing the part of a lounge singer in a rock n' roll age..just amazing..

It's Van Halen at it's peak, give this album a listen, and then watch the three oakland videos and it just makes you scratch you head that three of these guys in this band would end up making 5150 and 0U812 within 10 years..

If you don't like this album, and claim to be a fan of rock n'roll or music in general you're either a sheep or just had your own head stuck up your ass.

Kristy
03-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Not their best album although it should have been. To me, Fair Warning is where Eddie calmed the fuck down for a bit and actually spent time in the studio coming up with ideas with Templeton instead of banging out riffs in order to get through a song. Diver Down had it moments but that record was weak - maybe the tiredness of touring, who knows but Fair Warning was the most sculpted record in the CVH catalog and though not commercially successful as the others it seems to wear the test of time pretty well: Eddie's best playing, Roth's best singing, the band never played tighter and more focused.

FORD
03-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Fair Warning was basically the first album Van HALEN had to write from scratch, with the exception of "Mean Street" (which was made from the remains of the two old songs "Voodoo Queen" and "She's The Woman) The first three albums were mostly constructed from the songs VH had been playing in the clubs for years. Ironically enough WACF actually had some of their oldest songs, with "Take Your Whiskey Home" and "In A Simple Rhyme" actually being leftovers from the days when Mark Stone was the bass player and they still called themselves "Mammoth".

So it took a bit longer in the studio to record Fair Warning, and it was literally a new direction for the band, because it really WAS Van Halen in 1981, as opposed to Van Halen 1974 or 76 merely being recorded in the present. And that new direction showed the maturity of the band as a unit, and especially of Dave & Eddie as songwriters.

And it was a perfect album, goddamn it. Sadly the last perfect album they would do, as Diver Down had too many covers, and 1984 had too many keyboards.

indeedido
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Probably my favorite VH album. To me, by far the best mix of any of the CVH. You can actually hear the bass and bass drum.

hambon4lif
03-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I'll go so far as to say Fair Warning was the last real Van Halen album!
When Diver Down came out with singles geared for radio, all of a sudden every dorky square suburban kid in the neighborhood wanted to get on the bandwagon, and we had to start sharing them with the rest of the world.
But before that, that was our band....they belonged to us! The cult audience who already knew they kicked ass, and knew who they were long before Ed even met Valerie.

Fair Warning was the view from the top and the last of the real.

"I've been tried and convicted, it's winner take all....I want a run for my money, that's all!"

"You can try me at home...if it feels alright..but I ain't home tonight".....TAKE THAT, BEEYOTCH!!

CROWBAR
03-20-2011, 05:01 PM
but Fair Warning was the most sculpted record in the CVH catalog and though not commercially successful as the others it seems to wear the test of time pretty well: Eddie's best playing, Roth's best singing, the band never played tighter and more focused.

I'll disagree with ya about it being Eddie's best playing and Roth's best singing. Tighter? To a point yes. Not tighter than Woman And Children First imo. That album is where they all came together as one and gelled as a band. No one instrument overpowered another on any single song. They were firing on all eight cylinders for that one. Not one weak song in the bunch. However, on Fair Warning, you've got some so so songs in Push Comes To Shove, Sunday Afternoon In The Park, and some people might even throw So This Is Love in there too, although I happen to like that one myself. PCTS has a great guitar solo in it, but Roth's lyrics fail to grab me. SAITP doesn't either, and it's not until One Foot Out The Door starts that you wake up from your nap again and they close out the album righteously. FW was clearly Ed's album, and he deliberately snuck behind the others backs in order to get what he wanted on the album. This wasn't a "band effort" like WACF was.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not knocking Fair Warning, I just question it being called the "perfect" VH album. It's debatable.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/swapmeetlouie/PO23C.jpg

Etienne
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
...And it was a perfect album, goddamn it. Sadly the last perfect album they would do, as Diver Down had too many covers, and 1984 had too many keyboards.

Well, the keyboards in 1984 Intro, Jump and I'll Wait doesn't bother me... but I get your point