PDA

View Full Version : CBGB to Close

LoungeMachine
08-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Historic music club to close

August 3, 2005

FAMED New York rock club CBGB began the last month on its lease yesterday as E Street Band guitarist Steve Van Zandt stepped up in hopes of saving the grungy East Village rock palace.

The famous club that helped launch the likes of Blondie, the Ramones and Talking Heads is battling its landlord, the Bowery Residents Committee (BRC), over $98,000 in back rent and a $24,000 increase to its monthly rent.

The BRC, a non-profit group that aids the homeless, wants its money and guarantees of future rent payments before agreeing to a new lease.

"I can't put the needs of the club second to the needs of the BRC and the homeless," BRC director Muzzy Rosenblatt said, although he noted the two sides were talking.

Van Zandt, a star on The Sopranos TV show, put together Sunday night's punk-rock and grunge benefit featuring Blondies' Deborah Harry and said benefit shows would be held all month at the club and that a free Washington Square Park rally was in the works.

CBGB owner Hilly Kristal was less optimistic: "I don't think [Rosenblatt] has any intention of giving us a lease."

He said he thought the BRC was just out to double his monthly rent.

CBGB, with its familiar white awning, holds a special place in the city's music history. Apart from hosting top names, it was here the punk scene was created for small crowds that paid a $1 cover charge.

If CBGB closes, it will join a growing list of downtown clubs that have shut down in the last several years.

The famous Fez and the Luna Lounge have both closed this year because of development, and last year the Bottom Line was shut over a debt of more than $242,000 to its landlord, New York University.

A series of celebrities, including Talking Heads frontman David Byrne have tried to facilitate talks between Kristal and the BRC.

Van Zandt, who is now leading the charge, said the end of the CBGB would be the end of the rock 'n' roll era.

"This is the last rock 'n' roll symbol left," Mr Van Zandt said.

"We have seen one iconic rock 'n' roll venue after the other disappear, and we finally said, 'let's draw a line here, and save at least one'."

Mr Kristal is considering moving the club to Las Vegas if they fail.

"If New York doesn't want me then I'll do something else. There are people out there who do want me," he said.

MAX
08-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Fuck no!!!

Good Godfrey!!!

Everything in NYC seems to go. :(

Shit, that was a great bar just cos of the nostalgia. Just like the late Russian Tea Room, I'm glad I hit both on my last visit.

tydhurst
08-03-2005, 03:46 AM
oh no, CBGB's is closing...

Ah well.

Aren't they trying to sell chocolate to keep open or something?

The Scatologist
08-03-2005, 07:01 AM
So a non-profit group that helps out the homeless is being greedy and fucking them over?

So in other words, this group thinks that closing down a club, and making people lose jobs is gonna help out the homeless situation any?

These people hold homeless people above the people who are working for a living and shit?

Phil theStalker
08-03-2005, 07:52 AM
they might as well close tit nothing is happening there F4OR 3O YEARS..

butt tit is nice t2o go t2o Liverpool and find a Cavern, even a FAKE o1ne..

:spank: