PDA

View Full Version : The bomb-go-boom networks

BigBadBrian
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
The bomb-go-boom networks
Brent Bozell

August 3, 2005

My son's friend Todd Jones just returned from a tour of duty in Iraq. At a celebratory gathering at his parents' home, we chatted a while, and I asked him what he thought were the biggest problems facing the military. Without hesitating, he shot back: "The terrorists and the media."

In a rare moment of balance on CBS, Army Capt. Christopher Vick echoed that sentiment: "I think it's hard for Americans to get up every day and turn on the news and see the horrible things that are going on here, because there's no focus on the good things that go on. What they see is another car bomb went off." This kind of coverage is exactly what the terrorists are seeking to achieve, believes Vick.

Mark Yost, who served in the Navy during the Reagan years, caused a stir in media circles for stating the obvious in an editorial in the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "to judge by the dispatches, all the Iraqis do is stand outside markets and government buildings waiting to be blown up."

On CNN's "Reliable Sources," host Howard Kurtz asked Frank Sesno, a former Washington bureau chief for CNN, about the Yost column. Sesno acknowledged you get more depth from print coverage, but suggested "even then, the bias is towards that which is going wrong, that which is blowing up and that which is not working." He said Americans ask: "Is anything getting rebuilt? Are they really democrats over there? How engaged are the Sunnis? Could I see an interview with any of these founding fathers and founding mothers of this new emerging country? Can you find that? You'll have a hard time doing it."

He's not kidding. In late June, Iraqi Prime Minister Ibraham al-Jafari came to Washington. On June 24, he appeared with President Bush at the White House and gave a speech at the National Press Club. But try and find Jafari's name in a Nexis search of TV news. Of the Big Three, only CBS seemed to notice him in Washington -- on their little-seen Saturday morning show.

One cable-news exception was MSNBC's "Hardball" on June 23, in which NBC White House reporter David Gregory, substitute-hosting for Chris Matthews, kept trying to bait Jafari with negative questions about the Iraq "quagmire." Jafari was especially upset at Gregory's consistent use of the word "insurgents," insisting that this word would suggest the fighters are Iraqis, which many are not, and they have a broad base of popular support, which they do not.

Even when Jafari's name popped up in other stories, it was but a brief mention en route to another quagmire story. On May 16, CBS anchor Bob Schieffer noted that Jafari made a surprise visit to the country's top Shiite cleric, Ayatollah Ali Sistani. "He told the prime minister to bring more Sunnis into the government to help unify the country. But the latest round of killing seems intended to stir up civil war." Schieffer moved on to yet another relentless-violence story.

NBC had only one story mentioning Jafari since he was selected by Parliament as prime minister in late April. On June 2, he was almost an afterthought in a story anchor Brian Williams pitched. "So what are American soldiers and Iraqi police supposed to do in the face of this violence, especially these suicide attacks? As NBC's Jim Maceda reports tonight, the latest crackdown on the insurgency in Baghdad sounds impressive, but many Iraqis are wondering where it is."

Australian blogger Arthur Chrenkoff has been a one-man band bringing the undercovered good news from Iraq, often featured on the Wall Street Journal's Opinion Journal site. Even the New York Times op-ed page featured one of his good-news listings in a graphic presentation on May 13. But here comes the reality check: How many of Chrenkoff's listed developments had previously appeared in the Times? The good news seldom gets in, and when it does, it's buried under negative headlines.

For example, Chrenkoff's chart for the Times noted that on April 11, 65 suspected terrorists were arrested in Baghdad in the biggest joint American-Iraqi raids to date. That was included in "all the news that's fit to print," but deep in an April 13 Times story headlined "Car Bomb Near Convoy in Mosul Kills 4 Iraqis."

You already know the media's response to the criticism: It's not their job to lead the cheers but to "tell the truth." That "truth," in their eyes, is the war was an unjustified, costly and ill-planned quagmire. Our news media can proclaim it is not their job to help President Bush win the war on terrorists in Iraq. But their job ought to be to cover all of Iraq, and not just show the American people a stilted nightly horror movie, a dinner plate of Terrorist Helper.

Link (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/brentbozell/bb20050803.shtml)

bobgnote
08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
The bomb-go-boom networks(trunc)

You already know the media's response to the criticism: It's not their job to lead the cheers but to "tell the truth." That "truth," in their eyes, is the war was an unjustified, costly and ill-planned quagmire. Our news media can proclaim it is not their job to help President Bush win the war on terrorists in Iraq. But their job ought to be to cover all of Iraq, and not just show the American people a stilted nightly horror movie, a dinner plate of Terrorist Helper.

Link (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/brentbozell/bb20050803.shtml)

'THE' media was at lots of FRAUD, hiding the energy inflation that triggered the WTC attacks in 2001, first reported as an acceleration of long-planned attacks. Four years later, 'THE' media, information and govenrment media in actual, despicable collusion, are hiding that the power deals are at all inflationary, while budgets go BUST and London just went BOOM4X, fizzle four more, Whose Line Was on Channel FOUR, etc., then Egypt, and Syria might get invaded, all for the BRING IT ON conspiracy of GW AND information media, who did not try to purge Zionist twits calling Arabs 'anti-Semitic,' until 2005.

Tell ya what. THE media included Rather parading with a bunch of sideshow traffic near the Syrian border, talking tough-punk JINGO-bs, 2002, with Fleischer, Bush, the lot all dumber and dumbass. Fleischer and Rather and Novak all had to go. The media is not showing their own part in the nuisance. If you don't notice thir fraud, corporate BRING IT ON, 24-7, you missed a lot.

DrMaddVibe
08-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Air America?

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Gee, that contradicts a lot of first hand testimony given on this board about American forces just driving around waiting to be bombed, or how the insurgents are like killing a lot of Marines lately. Yeah, it's all CBS's fault. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED...

knuckleboner
08-03-2005, 10:59 PM
here's the thing:

channel 1 does a, "we just got power delivered to an iraqi neighborhood and trained a couple of iraqis to be policemen" story.

channel 2 does a, "this just in: 5 more American GIs are killed."

which gets more ratings?

answer: the deaths. not because Americans want to hear gruesome tales. but because we care more about American deaths. it's bigger news to us.

monkeythe
08-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by knuckleboner

answer: the deaths. not because Americans want to hear gruesome tales. but because we care more about American deaths. it's bigger news to us.

I disagree. I believe that the people that spend a lot of time following the news like to hear about death (American or otherwise) and other negative things. Did you ever notice that most of the people you know that follow the news religiously are always the first to complain about everything and wallow in what is wrong in the world. It's because of these assholes that I still keep hearing about the Aruba girl & the Scott Peterson crap won't end. I'm willing to bet that if people had died in that plane incident yesterday, it would be leading the news telecasts for the next few days instead of it barely being mentioned today.

Hardrock69
08-04-2005, 02:25 AM
I would like to hear more positive stuff. There are a lot of Iraqi people who are VERY glad the US came over and kicked the shit out of Sodomite Hussein and his butt-lickers.

Yet we never hear of that.

I truly despise the media, because they are not allowed to provide balanced reporting, because positive happy reporting does not bring in ratings and dollars.

People want to see BIG FIERY EXPLOSIONS!!!

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/kaboom.jpg

Or Blood and Guts or death or doom and destruction!!!!

It just sucks that the media will always play up the negative, and downplay the positive.

Grrrrrr......

I am sure Vanzilla could weigh in on this subject...

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 04:07 AM
You reap what you sow. Start a war on false pretenses, lies, and faulty logic, you'll get a bumper-crop of shit.

What is anyone supposed to think when the number and intensity level of attacks has not decreased despite dubious claims by the administration.

Yes, it's nice that the Coalition is building schools and on good terms with our SHIITE friends, as they get closer to the IRANIANS. But we are just supporting one faction in a civil war at this point...

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe
I disagree. I believe that the people that spend a lot of time following the news like to hear about death (American or otherwise) and other negative things. Did you ever notice that most of the people you know that follow the news religiously are always the first to complain about everything and wallow in what is wrong in the world. It's because of these assholes that I still keep hearing about the Aruba girl & the Scott Peterson crap won't end. I'm willing to bet that if people had died in that plane incident yesterday, it would be leading the news telecasts for the next few days instead of it barely being mentioned today.

Ignorance is bliss...

BigBadBrian
08-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe

Agreed.

:gulp:

BigBadBrian
08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
I would like to hear more positive stuff. There are a lot of Iraqi people who are VERY glad the US came over and kicked the shit out of Sodomite Hussein and his butt-lickers.

Yet we never hear of that.

I truly despise the media, because they are not allowed to provide balanced reporting, because positive happy reporting does not bring in ratings and dollars.

People want to see BIG FIERY EXPLOSIONS!!!

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/kaboom.jpg

Or Blood and Guts or death or doom and destruction!!!!

It just sucks that the media will always play up the negative, and downplay the positive.

Grrrrrr......

I am sure Vanzilla could weigh in on this subject...

Agreed as well. Good points.

knuckleboner
08-04-2005, 09:04 AM
so then, it's the viewers fault, not the medias. ok.

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
...I am sure Vanzilla could weigh in on this subject...

I wish he would, but don't think he can now.

Warham
08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
If it suits the liberals' agenda, it's fine. If soldiers come back and say the media isn't portraying the efforts over there correctly, those troops must be BCE operatives.

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Warham
If it suits the liberals' agenda, it's fine. If soldiers come back and say the media isn't portraying the efforts over there correctly, those troops must be BCE operatives.

Yeah right, I've never met one soldier in person, or have seen anyone post anything positive on this site, regarding that cluster fuck. Perhaps you just read reactions from extreme partisans...

Hardrock69
08-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
so then, it's the viewers fault, not the medias. ok.

Well, in a way it is...

The Networks are only going to show that material which attracts viewers.

If Walt Disney-esque news was the only thing the public could tolerate or would watch, then we would get fluff and pansies and nothing negative.

There has to be a balance between positive and negative, but when murder and death and fire are the only things that make the sheeple go "OOOoOOOooOoOoOoooo" :eek: then that is pretty much what we are going to see all the time....

BigBadBrian
08-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, in a way it is...

The Networks are only going to show that material which attracts viewers.

Exactly.

The job of the Network News is not to report the news, but to attract advertising dollars. It's that simple.

ODShowtime
08-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Exactly.

The job of the Network News is not to report the news, but to attract advertising dollars. It's that simple.

Now that sounds like something I would say!

Unfortunately the point that deaths=ratings was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt about 4 years ago.

Hardrock69
08-05-2005, 10:07 AM
4 years ago? It was proven much longer ago than that....

I have read guidelines sent to network affiliates that say stuff like "Be sure to show film footage with lots of flames and fire and smoke in it because it attracts viewers..." and this was back in the 80s!

Nickdfresh
08-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I wonder if BRIAN ever complained of the relentless, negative coverage during the MONICA LEWINSKY scandel...:rolleyes:

Warham
08-05-2005, 11:35 AM
There was nothing positive to report during the Lewinsky scandal. Nothing good came out of Clinton's pants being down.

BigBadBrian
08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I wonder if BRIAN ever complained of the relentless, negative coverage during the MONICA LEWINSKY scandel...:rolleyes:

Yeah, Clinton had lousy taste in women. Still does.

Guitar Shark
08-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Clinton had lousy taste in women. Still does.

Can't argue with that.

The only one even REMOTELY appealing is Gennifer Flowers.

Surely the leader of the free world should be able to do better.

Nickdfresh
08-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Warham
There was nothing positive to report during the Lewinsky scandal. Nothing good came out of Clinton's pants being down.

As now...

Warham
08-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Lots of positives going on in Iraq.