PDA

View Full Version : PBS, Pay your own way

BigBadBrian
08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
PBS, Pay your own way

John Stossel
http://www.townhall.com/graphics1/columnists/stossel.gif

August 3, 2005

My cable company made me a remarkable offer: They want to add a new channel to my cable subscription -- and you will pay for it. The channel will have liberal news, highbrow entertainment and a variety of educational programming.

Sounds insane, and yet the channel isn't new. It's called PBS.

Public broadcasting is a classic example of welfare for the well-off. We PBS viewers are 44 percent more likely than other Americans to make more than $150,000 a year.

I enjoy PBS, but it hardly seems fair that the government demands you buy it for me. If I want to see opera, I should pay for it myself. Why should you be taxed to pump "La Boheme" into my living room? It barely made sense in 1967, when most Americans only had the Big Three broadcast networks, but now there are hundreds of channels. If there's a demand for opera or BBC drama, the market will provide it.

Not everything on PBS is for elites only, of course. The network is justly famous for programs like "Sesame Street." But popular programs are just that -- popular. That means they have other ways to get money. People already give so much money to PBS that today, it only gets 15 percent of its funds from the federal government. As David Boaz, author of "Libertarianism: A Primer," points out, businesses and nonprofits deal with 15 percent revenue losses all the time. If NPR and PBS lost all their federal money, they wouldn't disappear."

Republicans should stop dithering about reducing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting's subsidies and eliminate them altogether. Of course, when anyone suggests cutting the PBS budget, people say, "they're trying to kill 'Sesame Street'!" But "Sesame Street" is big business and would survive in any environment. "Children's programming that has an audience does not need taxpayer subsidies," says Jacob Sullum of Reason. "Noggin, which is more 'commercial-free' than PBS stations, carries 12 hours of kids' shows (including two different versions of 'Sesame Street') every day. Parent-acceptable children's programming can also be seen on Nickelodeon, the Disney Channel and ABC Family."

Some people, who apparently have never watched "20/20" or "60 Minutes," claim we won't have tough journalism on TV unless the public pays for it. Only PBS will do "honest" documentaries, they say, because PBS isn't dependent on corporate support. Twenty-five years ago, Ralph Nader proclaimed that consumer reporting would never appear on commercial TV. It would only thrive on public TV, he said, because commercial stations would defer to advertisers.

Today, it's clear that Nader was totally wrong (as he is so often). PBS carries almost no consumer reporting, probably because the bureaucrats who run it are too nervous about offending anyone . By contrast, there is plenty of consumer reporting on commercial TV. I criticized my employers' most valued customers for years. For heaping abuse on the people who paid us, I was given promotions.

Why? Because viewers want tough news -- even news hostile to big advertisers. Commercial television provides it because even if sponsors boycott, the money other sponsors are willing to spend to reach the viewers the reports attract makes up the loss. The free market serves its customers, and in the TV business, the customers are viewers.

PBS, on the other hand, is broadcasting by bureaucracy. This is not a good thing. We should have separation of news and state. "We wouldn't want the federal government to publish a national newspaper, writes Boaz, "why should we have a government television network and a government radio network? If anything should be kept separate from government and politics, it's the news and public affairs programming that Americans watch. When government brings us the news -- with all the inevitable bias and spin -- the government is putting its thumb on the scales of democracy. It's time for that to stop."
Link (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/JohnStossel/js20050803.shtml)

Ally_Kat
08-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Completly drifting from the article -- what I never got about PBS is how there's all this educational programming, the craft and cooking shows, the masterpiece theater movies made from classic novels, and then BAM - British sitcoms. I never got that. For me, it seems out of place. And with them playing the old movies now, it's weird, too. But that's just me.

Now I'm just waiting for my local channel to put on Bill Nye the Science Guy's new show on cuz I love Bill.

Unchainme
08-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
Completly drifting from the article -- what I never got about PBS is how there's all this educational programming, the craft and cooking shows, the masterpiece theater movies made from classic novels, and then BAM - British sitcoms. I never got that. For me, it seems out of place. And with them playing the old movies now, it's weird, too. But that's just me.

Now I'm just waiting for my local channel to put on Bill Nye the Science Guy's new show on cuz I love Bill.

I thought he was on the Science Channel, Anyways i loved that show, it was auctually pretty funny back in the day, Loved The video parodies, the were funny as hell.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2005, 04:17 PM
How long has Stossel been a paid member of the BCE?

FUCKING TREASONOUS NEOCON PIECES OF SHIT!!

GODDAMMIT, WAKE UP BUSHEEP!

Ally_Kat
08-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
I thought he was on the Science Channel, Anyways i loved that show, it was auctually pretty funny back in the day, Loved The video parodies, the were funny as hell.

I think he hosted something on the Science Channel. And his new show, which I think is Eyes of Nye, is said to be like his old show but not so geared for the kiddies. I saw a clip and it's him in his lab coat and in his old lab. I got giddy.

Unchainme
08-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
I think he hosted something on the Science Channel. And his new show, which I think is Eyes of Nye, is said to be like his old show but not so geared for the kiddies. I saw a clip and it's him in his lab coat and in his old lab. I got giddy.

Hmmmmm, Have to remeber to watch it :)

BigBadBrian
08-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
How long has Stossel been a paid member of the BCE?

FUCKING TREASONOUS NEOCON PIECES OF SHIT!!

GODDAMMIT, WAKE UP BUSHEEP!

GS, has FORD got your password?

I'm reporting this.

You both will be banned ala Pete and Fab. :D

:gulp:

Ally_Kat
08-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Hmmmmm, Have to remeber to watch it :)

http://www.eyesofnye.org/

and whoo hoo! Checked the tv listings and NJN is showing it at 10pm. I'll hafta sit in my room with the rabbit ears and try to get the station in. :D

Guitar Shark
08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
GS, has FORD got your password?

I'm reporting this.

You both will be banned ala Pete and Fab. :D

LOL! No, just wanted to see what it's like to be FORD for a little while.

It's scary.

FORD
08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
In America, the "news" comes from defense contractors and foreign billionaires.

In Canada and the UK, news comes from public owned broadcasting networks.

Which one has more accurate news coverage...

(hint: It ain't John Stossel's employer)

Nickdfresh
08-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Am I the only one that misses the irony of JOHN STOSSEL commenting on journalism...

Doesn't fluff-boy lightwieght have a hard hitting "the Dangers of Nail-Painting" expose' coming up?

FORD
08-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Yeah, John Stossel.... the guy who joined ABC to be their "new Geraldo"when the original left to become a tabloid TV host. And that's about the extent of his journalistic credibility. The time he got a staged asskicking from a pro wrestler on 20/20 was almost as funny as the skinheads busting Geraldo's nose with a chair.

Guitar Shark
08-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The time he got a staged asskicking from a pro wrestler on 20/20 was almost as funny as the skinheads busting Geraldo's nose with a chair.

I never saw the pro wrestling incident. If anyone has a link I'd love to see it.

I used to like Stossel, but he's obviously caught DennisMilleritis.

BigBadBrian
08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Am I the only one that misses the irony of JOHN STOSSEL commenting on journalism...

Doesn't fluff-boy lightwieght have a hard hitting "the Dangers of Nail-Painting" expose' coming up?

So its more of the "attack the messenger, not the message."

Liberal Playbook Play #3

monkeythe
08-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Yeah, John Stossel.... the guy who joined ABC to be their "new Geraldo"when the original left to become a tabloid TV host. And that's about the extent of his journalistic credibility. The time he got a staged asskicking from a pro wrestler on 20/20 was almost as funny as the skinheads busting Geraldo's nose with a chair.

It wasn't a staged incident. The wrestler, Dr D David Shultz was immediately fired from the WWF and has never returned. In addition, he was blackballed by the other wresting promoters of the time & had to finish his career in Puerto Rico & Japan. In addition, there was a lawsuit settlement between Stossel & the WWF for over $1 million

Unchainme
08-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe
It wasn't a staged incident. The wrestler, Dr D David Shultz was immediately fired from the WWF and has never returned. In addition, he was blackballed by the other wresting promoters of the time & had to finish his career in Puerto Rico & Japan. In addition, there was a lawsuit settlement between Stossel & the WWF for over $1 million

I wonder if there's clips for both of these (Geraldo and the othe guy.)

BTW anyone have a clip of Geraldo opening Al Capones Vaulty
PRICELESS :D

Nickdfresh
08-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
So its more of the "attack the messenger, not the message."

Liberal Playbook Play #3

Or evaluate the cred of the buffoon making stupid statements:

Call "Pot-Tea Kettle:" "Liberal Playbook" #1

BigBadBrian
08-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe

Thanks.

I would have given you five stars for that but saw I already voted for you. Thanks again.

:killer:

FORD
08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
If a WWF wrestler was involved, it was staged. The lawsuit was also staged. Vince McMahon would do anything for publicity. You guys didn't forget the XFL already, did you?

Unchainme
08-04-2005, 11:37 AM
If a WWF wrestler was involved, it was staged. The lawsuit was also staged. Vince McMahon would do anything for publicity. You guys didn't forget the XFL already, did you?

Awww yes The XFL, Low ratings killed the thing, I still have one of the footballs hanging around here somewhere.

BigBadBrian
08-04-2005, 01:04 PM

You still haven't debated the original message.

It figures. :rolleyes:

steve
08-04-2005, 02:16 PM
On one hand I am inclined to agree with folks who want to cut PBS public funding...

but then I think about the dirth of quality educational programs for kids on any commercial station....which is basically why PBS was started...to allow poor kids some entertainment that was not trying to sell them Sugar-Os.

On the other hand, PBS DOES have a SLIGHT liberal lean (NPR is very liberal), so by its' nature this allows their funding to be under the thumb of whoever is in charge, which of recent is extremist conservatives...who now want domain over PBS' programming.

Perhaps the answer is to make PBS follow the same rules as 501-c3s are SUPPOSED to follow (Churches in the south don't follow them, but that's another topic)...which is NO POLITICING. Of course, this is often a gray issue (what is politicing? etc.) but oversight can be done better in the rhelm of PBS as well as Political Churches throughout the Bible Belt.
Keep the kids education, nature shows, the arts, etc.

BigBadBrian
08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by steve
On one hand I am inclined to agree with folks who want to cut PBS public funding...

but then I think about the dirth of quality educational programs for kids on any commercial station....which is basically why PBS was started...to allow poor kids some entertainment that was not trying to sell them Sugar-Os.

On the other hand, PBS DOES have a SLIGHT liberal lean (NPR is very liberal), so by its' nature this allows their funding to be under the thumb of whoever is in charge, which of recent is extremist conservatives...who now want domain over PBS' programming.

Perhaps the answer is to make PBS follow the same rules as 501-c3s are SUPPOSED to follow (Churches in the south don't follow them, but that's another topic)...which is NO POLITICING. Of course, this is often a gray issue (what is politicing? etc.) but oversight can be done better in the rhelm of PBS as well as Political Churches throughout the Bible Belt.
Keep the kids education, nature shows, the arts, etc.

Thanks, steve, for responding to the topic at hand. I can agree with your last statement: "Keep the kids education, nature shows, the arts, etc."