PDA

View Full Version : God I am So Fucking Sick Of This

Unchainme
08-05-2005, 11:53 AM
NCAA: We don't have authority to ban outright
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 5 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise.

The NCAA's executive committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.
Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, he said.

Guidelines were not immediately available on which logos and nicknames would be considered "hostile or abusive."

The NCAA two years ago recommended that schools determine for themselves whether the Indian depictions were offensive.

Among the schools to change nicknames in recent years over such concerns were St. John's (from Redmen to Red Storm) and Marquette (from Warriors to Golden Eagles).

The NCAA plans to ban schools using Indian nicknames from hosting postseason events. Harrison said schools with such mascots that have already been selected as tournament sites would be asked to cover any offensive logos.

Such logos also would be prohibited at postseason games on cheerleader and band uniforms starting in 2008.

God I am So Fucking sick of this, Everytime you hear them bitching about soemthing new., You know whats fucking Depressing about this Is that it is not Native Americans that portest this, It is white people who have nothing better to than to fucking bitch about everything. One thing I have never Understood How Come Irish havn't Considered Notre Dames mascot offensive? What about The Penn. Quakers? The list goes on. I am so fucking sick of this.

Unchainme
08-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Heres Some Names That Name something Other Than Indians Thaat might be considered "Offensive"

WAKE FOREST
"Demon Deacons" (Offensive To Christians)

DUKE
"Blue Devils" (Offensive To Christians)

WEST VIRGINIA
"Mountaineers" (Offensive To Rednecks)

MICHIGAN STATE
"Spartans" (Offensive To Greecians)

PURDUE
"Boilermakers" (Offensive To Engineers)

NEBRASKA
"Cornhuskers" (Offensive To Farmers)

OKLAHOMA
Sooners (Offensive To People who Ancestors were Oklahoma Sonners)

OKLAHOMA STATE
"Cowboys" (Offensive To Cowboys)

TEXAS TECH
"Red Raiders" (Offensive To hispanics who lost the battle of The alamo)

TEXAS-EL PASO
"Miners" (Offensive To Miners)

TOLEDO
"Rockets" (Offensive To NASA Einegenners)

SAN DIEGO STATE
"Aztecs" (Offensive To Latinos)

WYOMING
"Cowboys" (Offensive To Cowboys)

ARIZONA STATE
"Sun Devils" (Offensive To Christians)

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
"Trojans" (Offensive To Greeks)

TENNESSEE
"Volunteers" (Offensive To Volunteers, Red Cross ETC.)

LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE
"Ragin' Cajuns" (Offensive To Cajuns)

TROY
"Trojans" (Offensive To Greek)

SAN JOSE STATE
Spartans (Offensive To Greek)

NOTRE DAME
"Fighting Irish" (Offensive To Irish)

The point its stupid to protest against a Sports teams name unless their name is The South Northeast Mississippi Klansman.

Rebel
08-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Well, I was right in the middle of it, going to Ole Miss during all that was going on about the "Rebels" and flying the battle flag at football games. I think it's a load of crap, if you can't tell from my avatar ;)

Rebel
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.mississippiart.com/pr%20ole%20miss.jpg

I'll never forget when they announced that the Colonel wouldn't be allowed to be on the sideline anymore, but they would still use him on merchandise, didn't want to cut into the school's part that's for sure.

As you can imagine, it went over really well, it got overturned within a month lol.

It's a shame that they can't fly the flag, and have the band blast Dixie anymore. Believe it or not, the debate wasn't racially motivated, opposed to what the media would have you believe. It was a small group of people, but that's all it takes nowadays to be "offended".

Unchainme
08-05-2005, 01:09 PM
You make very good points rebel. The irony of The Confederate Flag issue atlantanta area rappers are using it in their MUSIC VIDEOS!!!! LOL. Also I remeber seeing a poster with Lil jon with a confedarate flag in the background. I just have always thought The Confederate Flag was more a symbol of The South more than a sign of slavery.

Rebel
08-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Exactly, and apparently Lil Jon, Three Doors Down, and Zakk Wylde aren't afraid to show their pride in it. The media has really had a lot to do with its current image.

Which I'm not saying it's not all unjustified, I've seen Klan rallys, and various skinhead/Nazi parties use it........and that just burns me up. Somebody needs to stick their foot up those people's ass. Again, it just takes a few.

Unchainme
08-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
Exactly, and apparently Lil Jon, Three Doors Down, and Zakk Wylde aren't afraid to show their pride in it. The media has really had a lot to do with its current image.

Which I'm not saying it's not all unjustified, I've seen Klan rallys, and various skinhead/Nazi parties use it........and that just burns me up. Somebody needs to stick their foot up those people's ass. Again, it just takes a few.

The problem is those idiots in the Klan, They hardly represent The south. The ironic thing is that its not Black people who complain about the flag, its usually just some white guy bitching about every little thing.

monkeythe
08-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I heard they had to do some PC buulshit in the Dukes of Hazard remake because of the General Lee. I wish I could give more info about that but there is no way I'd spend a dime on that fucking movie

Redballjets88
08-06-2005, 11:49 PM
it isnt about slvery at all it is a known fact that some slaves even fought for the south in the war. the entire beating thing is overblown nist the time in the little farms a slave was almost part of the family just some plantation owners were fuck heads

Redballjets88
08-06-2005, 11:50 PM
but its great that it all ended it was boud to end anyway

DLRDUDE
08-07-2005, 12:06 AM
And I'm speechless...good lordy mcGrordy, no wonder the children don't know what's going on! Please don't enlighten us anymore...please!