View Full Version : Giants and Jets brawl during scrimmage

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah...that's right...

Giants, Jets brawl during joint practice
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 2 minutes ago

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Giants tight end Jeremy Shockey got into a fight with two Jets players on the second play of a joint practice between the teams Saturday that also featured an argument between Giants coach Tom Coughlin and Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson.

Off-season Central

On the second play of a 9-on-7 drill pitting the Giants offense against the Jets defense, Shockey got in a tussle with defensive backs Erik Coleman and Oliver Celestin, and soon all three players were throwing wild punches.

Coleman and Celestin pulled the Giants tight end to the ground and Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma jumped on top, touching off a melee involving numerous players from both teams. Order was restored after a few minutes.

"I was blocking somebody and I got shoved in the back, and the next thing I know, everybody's fighting," Shockey said. "There's no bad blood. That's how football is. You might as well do it now, when you don't get fined and Paul Tagliabue can't take any money out of your pocket. Do it now, get it over with. I'm sure it happens at every other camp."

Later in the morning practice session, Coughlin got into an argument with Henderson after several plays in which the Jets appeared to go beyond the prescribed rules of the practice, which allow defensive players to bump or slow down ball carriers as they go by, without tackling them.

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes hit Giants wideout Willie Ponder on a route over the middle, forcing Ponder to leave the practice early with bruised ribs.

Brandon Jacobs, the Giants rookie 6-foot-4, 265-pound running back, retaliated by bowling over 6-2, 212-pound Jets cornerback Pete Hunter after catching a short pass.

And finally, Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer was knocked down by Jets linebacker Eric Barton after a short pass reception. Toomer struck Barton in the helmet, and the two players had to be separated.

"This is practice," said Toomer, who is in his 10th NFL season. "We don't want anyone to get hurt."

At one point, Coughlin yelled at Henderson from about 20 yards away, causing Henderson to respond, "That's the way we practice, coach. We put our hats on people."

Jets coach Herman Edwards blamed what he called his team's "testiness" on getting up at 4:30 a.m. for a three-hour bus ride from Long Island to the Giants camp.

Henderson defended his players.

"I don't think any of it was over the line," he said. "You push and shove, and sometimes people take it the second level. But I don't think anyone was intentionally trying to injure anyone. I don't think there was any misunderstanding about what the tempo was going to be. I just think we practice at a different tempo at our place than was expected here."

Coughlin was not amused by the antics.

"We don't want that. That's not what we teach, that's not why we're here," he said. "We're here to practice to try and get better. We certainly didn't come to fight. We understand that sometimes those things are going to happen, but there were too many occasions."

There was one more short scuffle in the afternoon between Jets fullback B.J. Askew and Giants defensive back Curtis DeLoatch, but it was quickly quelled.

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 06:56 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3868034_36_1.jpg

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 06:57 PM
sorry...it was a joint practice...

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Do they still do the Steelers-Bills scrimmages at Edinboro ??

I remember they used to do those every year....

POJO_Risin
08-06-2005, 09:02 PM
No...they stopped those...

there were a few Browns/Steelers scrimmages after that...

each team would get 10 plays to score...

There were fights at every one I went to...

Lots of autographs from the Hardy Nickerson era...

ALinChainz
08-06-2005, 09:44 PM
They had the Bills-Packers scrimmage on the NFL Network last night.

Was kind of cool. Lambeau was absolutely packed for it too.

ALinChainz
08-06-2005, 09:46 PM
And someone ought to kick the absolute dog dump out of Shockey.

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
They had the Bills-Packers scrimmage on the NFL Network last night.

Was kind of cool. Lambeau was absolutely packed for it too.

Wonder what the prices for that were...

That's the problem with preseason games, too damn expensive....

The Steelers play two away preseason games this year, at Washington (about 200 miles for me) and at Carolina (about 340, probably more if I pick that bum up in Raleigh along the way ;) )....

ALinChainz
08-06-2005, 10:04 PM
It's one of the reasons they don't expand the regular season to 18 games and drop the pre-season games.

They don't have to. Some teams are charging to watch practices, some teams won't allow spectators at all, then have a fan day practice, some charging, some not.

But youre right ...expensive ... parking ... all of it.

monkeythe
08-06-2005, 11:38 PM
As a former U Albany alum, I don't blame Shokey for being in a bad mood up there because he can't enjoy the only good thing the campus has to offer. It is a very good thing the Dolphins & Ricky Williams don't practice at Albany:

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread19345.shtml

Albany, N.Y. -- The State University of New York at Albany returned to the top of the list of party schools in the nation, while Brigham Young University kept its place as the country's "stone-cold sober" school, according to the latest Princeton Review's survey.

The "Best 357 Colleges" survey is based on responses from more than 110,000 students at U.S. campuses. The review, which has no affiliation with Princeton University, has been conducting the study since 1992.

It's the ninth time the University at Albany has been on the party school list. It was No. 1 in 1998 and No. 14 last year.

The report ranked Albany seventh in the use of hard liquor and marijuana, ninth in beer drinking and first in "students (almost) never study."

Campus officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"It's pretty crazy," said Matt Kazimir, 21, a recent Albany graduate from Danbury, Conn. "There's always a party."

Still, some students say Albany's ranking isn't deserved.

"I wouldn't agree it's No. 1," said junior Brian Fessler, 20. "There are certainly a lot of opportunities to party, but it's also a great institution with some top programs. There are great academic opportunities, as well."

Brigham Young was ranked the top "stone-cold sober" school, according to the study, while the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was the toughest to get into. The happiest students overall were at Pomona College in Claremont, Calif.

Students most likely to vote for President Bush are in the Republican's home state at Texas A&M University, while those most likely to vote for Democratic challenger John Kerry are at Warren Wilson College in Asheville, N.C.

The "party school" category is based on questions focusing on the amount of alcohol and drug consumption, the amount of time students spend studying, and the popularity of fraternities and sororities.

A Harvard study showed about 44 percent of college students nationwide binge drink. The American Medical Association has criticized party school listings, saying they legitimize high-risk drinking and portray alcohol as an essential part of student life.

Robert Franek, lead author for the survey, disagrees and says the survey accurately reflects college life -- for better or worse -- and can be a vehicle for change.

"I think we do a great service for college-bound students, being in a very unique position to get onto the 357 best college campuses and ask students tough questions," Franek said. "We are going directly to college experts, college students on the campuses."

Other top 10 party schools were Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.; the University of Wisconsin-Madison; West Virginia University, Morgantown; Ohio University, Athens; Florida State University, Tallahassee; University of Texas-Austin; University of Georgia, Athens; University of Colorado-Boulder; University of Mississippi.

Complete Title: Study Ranks University At Albany No. 1 For Partying

VHdamaco
08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
is there a link for the complete list of rankings for schools on there (either its not or im fucking blind)? i want to see if my school JMU is on there...

DlocRoth
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Aah..big deal...

The Vikings and Chiefs brawl every preseason.

Ozzy Fudd
08-19-2005, 11:27 PM
:D

Ozzy Fudd
08-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by monkeythe
As a former U Albany alum, I don't blame Shokey for being in a bad mood up there because he can't enjoy the only good thing the campus has to offer. It is a very good thing the Dolphins & Ricky Williams don't practice at Albany:

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread19345.shtml

Albany, N.Y. -- The State University of New York at Albany returned to the top of the list of party schools in the nation, while Brigham Young University kept its place as the country's "stone-cold sober" school, according to the latest Princeton Review's survey.

The "Best 357 Colleges" survey is based on responses from more than 110,000 students at U.S. campuses. The review, which has no affiliation with Princeton University, has been conducting the study since 1992.

It's the ninth time the University at Albany has been on the party school list. It was No. 1 in 1998 and No. 14 last year.

The report ranked Albany seventh in the use of hard liquor and marijuana, ninth in beer drinking and first in "students (almost) never study."

Campus officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"It's pretty crazy," said Matt Kazimir, 21, a recent Albany graduate from Danbury, Conn. "There's always a party."

Still, some students say Albany's ranking isn't deserved.

"I wouldn't agree it's No. 1," said junior Brian Fessler, 20. "There are certainly a lot of opportunities to party, but it's also a great institution with some top programs. There are great academic opportunities, as well."

Brigham Young was ranked the top "stone-cold sober" school, according to the study, while the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was the toughest to get into. The happiest students overall were at Pomona College in Claremont, Calif.

Students most likely to vote for President Bush are in the Republican's home state at Texas A&M University, while those most likely to vote for Democratic challenger John Kerry are at Warren Wilson College in Asheville, N.C.

The "party school" category is based on questions focusing on the amount of alcohol and drug consumption, the amount of time students spend studying, and the popularity of fraternities and sororities.

A Harvard study showed about 44 percent of college students nationwide binge drink. The American Medical Association has criticized party school listings, saying they legitimize high-risk drinking and portray alcohol as an essential part of student life.

Robert Franek, lead author for the survey, disagrees and says the survey accurately reflects college life -- for better or worse -- and can be a vehicle for change.

"I think we do a great service for college-bound students, being in a very unique position to get onto the 357 best college campuses and ask students tough questions," Franek said. "We are going directly to college experts, college students on the campuses."

Other top 10 party schools were Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.; the University of Wisconsin-Madison; West Virginia University, Morgantown; Ohio University, Athens; Florida State University, Tallahassee; University of Texas-Austin; University of Georgia, Athens; University of Colorado-Boulder; University of Mississippi.

Complete Title: Study Ranks University At Albany No. 1 For Partying

I missed that one ...But i went to a few of the practices they had at Albany U it was something to watch. my son got a load of Autograph's
Tiki Barber, Tim Hasselbeck, Myniya Smith, Amani Toomer, David Tyree, Jeff Feagles, Michael Jennings, and some others that Signed his little Giants Hat tiki thought that my sons Little Giants League hat was cool and ASKED TO SIGN IT he was the first one and talked to him for about 2 minutes about foot ball and what Positions that my little TE / RB likes to play Shocky well he kinda ran past a shit load of fans after signing at the begining of the line looked like he was in a hurry to ice up . all in all a good practice

Ozzy Fudd
08-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I go to the camp because my Nephew and son's like the Giants. I am becoming roped in to being a fan ....I guess. But Ya know what! These Players love the Fans after a hot day in the sun and a rough work out, Damane Duckett takes off his cleats stops looks over the crowd and hands one to a fan then walks across to the other side and hand out the other. Then walks the last 100 yards to the tunnel. allot of the guys kept walking on past even Tiki who always has time to sign. Michael Jennings, he throws a glove it drops right in front of me on the other side of the fence he picks it up i point over to this little kid with a ball and he gives it to him. the mom got all kinds of happy. my boys went with a two-way Radio chasing down players they got a few. me i was on the way to the parking lot when Osi Umenyiora was walkin to his car no more than 75 feet from ours i figured what the hell i'm not gonna bug him ( i seen him mobbed and trying to get away so i just kept heading to the car ). good thing i turned around went over and said to him i bet that line was a tough one to break . he laughs. i said you got time to sign my Year book ? sure but i got to get going. He is the only one i got in the book . the book goes all the way back to the year 1927 i cant wait to read it latter. I Think Big Blue might pull it off this year. I have a gut feeling Hasselbeck might start the season first game Manning's arm looks like it still bothers him.