PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jennings Dies at 67

FORD
08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Just heard about this on Air America, and even my nigga Chuck D was almost in tears. So long Pete :cry:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/WNT/jennings_t.jpg
Peter Jennings Dies at 67
'World News Tonight' Anchor Since 1983

Apr. 5, 2005 - ABC News Anchor Peter Jennings died today at his home in New York City. He was 67. On April 5, Jennings announced he had been diagnosed with lung cancer.

He is survived by his wife Kayce Freed, his two children, Elizabeth, 25, and Christopher, 23, and his sister Sarah Jennings.

In an announcing Jennings' death to his ABC colleagues, News President David Westin wrote:

"For four decades, Peter has been our colleague, our friend, and our leader in so many ways. None of us will be the same without him.

"As you all know, Peter learned only this spring that the health problem he'd been struggling with was lung cancer. With Kayce, he moved straight into an aggressive chemotherapy treatment. He knew that it was an uphill struggle. But he faced it with realism, courage, and a firm hope that he would be one of the fortunate ones. In the end, he was not.

"We will have many opportunities in the coming hours and days to remember Peter for all that he meant to us all. It cannot be overstated or captured in words alone. But for the moment, the finest tribute we can give is to continue to do the work he loved so much and inspired us to do."

Reported World-Shaping Events
As one of America's most distinguished journalists, Jennings reported many of the pivotal events that have shaped our world. He was in Berlin in the 1960s when the Berlin Wall was going up, and there in the '90s when it came down. He covered the civil rights movement in the southern United States during the 1960s, and the struggle for equality in South Africa during the 1970s and '80s. He was there when the Voting Rights Act was signed in 1965, and on the other side of the world when South Africans voted for the first time. He has worked in every European nation that once was behind the Iron Curtain. He was there when the independent political movement Solidarity was born in a Polish shipyard, and again when Poland's communist leaders were forced from power. And he was in Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Romania and throughout the Soviet Union to record first the repression of communism and then its demise. He was one of the first reporters to go to Vietnam in the 1960s, and went back to the killing fields of Cambodia in the 1980s to remind Americans that, unless they did something, the terror would return.

On December 31, 1999, Jennings anchored ABC's Peabody-award winning coverage of Millennium Eve, "ABC 2000." Some 175 million Americans watched the telecast, making it the biggest live global television event ever. "The day belonged to ABC News," wrote The Washington Post, "&with Peter Jennings doing a nearly superhuman job of anchoring." Jennings was the only anchor to appear live for 25 consecutive hours.

Jennings also led ABC's coverage of the September 11 attacks and America's subsequent war on terrorism. He anchored more than 60 hours that week during the Network's longest continuous period of news coverage, and was widely praised for providing a reassuring voice during the time of crisis. TV Guide called him "the center of gravity," while the Washington Post wrote, "Jennings, in his shirt sleeves, did a Herculean job of coverage." The coverage earned ABC News Peabody and duPont awards.

Overseas, and at Home
Jennings joined ABC News on August 3, 1964. He served as the anchor of "Peter Jennings with the News" from 1965 to 1967.

He established the first American television news bureau in the Arab world in 1968 when he served as ABC News' bureau chief for Beirut, Lebanon, a position he held for seven years. He helped put ABC News on the map in 1972 with his coverage of the Summer Olympics in Munich, when Arab terrorists took Israeli athletes hostage.

In 1975, Jennings moved to Washington to become the news anchor of ABC's morning program "A.M. America". After a short stint in the mornings, Jennings returned overseas to Rome where he stayed before moving to London to become ABC's Chief Foreign Correspondent. In 1978 he was named the foreign desk anchor for "World News Tonight." He co-anchored the program with Frank Reynolds in Washington, D.C., and Max Robinson in Chicago until 1983.

Jennings was named anchor and senior editor of "World News Tonight" in 1983. In his more than 20 years in the position he was honored with almost every major award given to television journalists.

His extensive domestic and overseas reporting experience was evident in "World News Tonight's" coverage of major crises. He reported from all 50 states and locations around the globe. During the 1991 Gulf War and the 2003 War in Iraq, his knowledge of Middle Eastern affairs brought invaluable perspective to ABC News war in Iraq and the drug trade in Central and South America. The series also tackled important domestic issues such as gun control policy, the politics of abortion, the crisis in funding for the arts and a highly praised chronicle of the accused bombers of Oklahoma City. "Peter Jennings Reporting" earned numerous awards, including the 2004 Edward R. Morrow award for best documentary for "The Kennedy Assassination -- Beyond Conspiracy."

Jennings also had a particular interest in broadcasting for the next generation. He did numerous live news specials for children on subjects ranging from growing up in the age of AIDS, to prejudice and its effects on our society. After the events of September 11, and again on the anniversary, he anchored a town hall meeting for children and parents entitled, "Answering Children's Questions."

Jennings was honored with many awards for news reporting, including 16 Emmys, two George Foster Peabody Awards, several Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University Awards and several Overseas Press Club Awards. Most recently, "World News Tonight" was recognized with two consecutive Edward R. Murrow awards for best newscast, based on field reporting done by Jennings on the California wildfires and the transfer of power in Iraq.

Jennings was the author, with Todd Brewster, of the acclaimed New York Times bestseller, "The Century." It featured first-person accounts of the great events of the century. In 1999, he anchored the 12-hour ABC series, "The Century," and ABC's series for The History Channel, "America's Time." He and Brewster also published "In Search of America," a companion book for the 6-part ABC News series.

Copyright © 2005 ABC News Internet Ventures

DLR'sCock
08-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Rest in Peace, your journey continues onward...

Ally_Kat
08-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Oh man. My father was pulling for him, too, as a fellow cancer patient. Dad's got a random cancer tumor on his lung now. Not an easy disease. I hope we cure this bastard disease.

Rikk
08-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Wow. That is fucking sad. I mean, I think we all knew he wasn't going to make it...but still...something about having someone in your living room every evening on your T.V. screen...

POJO_Risin
08-08-2005, 12:54 AM
I'll make this simple...

You were great...

You showed us many that were great...

You brought to us people we would have never known who were great...

You inspired many to be great...

Your time was to short...

LoungeMachine
08-08-2005, 02:32 AM
God I loved Peter Jennings.

One of the best.

Peace be with him and his family.

damn.

DrMaddVibe
08-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Boo-frickity-hoo!

He could read the news teleprompter.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 07:18 AM
jennings will rot in Hell with a boot in his ass for all eternity!

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Nice that fucking attention-whore retards can't stay out of these these threads...

JENNINGS was my favorite anchor by far, this is really sad.

DrMaddVibe
08-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Fuck you Mr. Self-Absorbed!

Like Peter Jennings ever gave 2 shits about any of you retards!

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Fuck you Mr. Self-Absorbed!

Like Peter Jennings ever gave 2 shits about any of you retards!

I'm "self-absorbed?" If you didn't like the guy, then don't say anything. Fuck you "2" cunt. Making yourself look like a shit bag again, eh? Your all class FUCKVIBE.

Phil theStalker
08-08-2005, 07:31 AM
He had no college education. He had no high school diploma. He had a GED and look how far he got. The man's life is a story we could all learn something from.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Well, you "fucking attention-whore retard"...when you go to Hell you can always pull that boot out for him!

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 07:32 AM
A network talking head? Can't you do better than that?

DrMaddVibe
08-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I'm "self-absorbed?" If you didn't like the guy, then don't say anything. Fuck you "2" cunt. Making yourself look like a shit bag again, eh? Your all class FUCKVIBE.

Hey dickbreath...remember your words when it comes to Bush.

What a fucking dolt!

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 07:36 AM
"If you didn't like the guy, then don't say anything."

Typical facist mentality...Freedom of Speech only applies to you?

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by NightProwler

Here's an idea, how about an informed statement rather than pissing on the guy's grave? Jennings was not just a tele-prompter reader...How could that be? You don't get to the top of ABC news, or any news by reading producers ranting. Jennings had a lot to do with what he read, pushed those around him to be better, and rarely fucked up...Something his two peers couldn't always say...And anyways, the dude's dead, no need to spit on him.

And no one censored you, I just used my freedom of speech...

sentinel
08-08-2005, 07:53 AM

it also applies to your mother you fuckin piece of shit!!!!!!
get your dirty ass face out of this web site!

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 07:53 AM
jennings was a handsome talking head, high school drop-out. Admire him if you choose, I don't.

you'd censor me if you COULD, but you can't. Deal with it.

sentinel
08-08-2005, 07:57 AM
it's not a question of admiring the guy(r.i.p)
ally kat said her father had the same disease. you're disrespecting her and her sick father.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 07:58 AM
I didn't even READ her post. Get over yourself.

sentinel
08-08-2005, 08:00 AM
then don't make stupid comments before reading the whole thing!

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 08:00 AM
jennings was a handsome talking head, high school drop-out. Admire him if you choose, I don't.

you'd censor me if you COULD, but you can't. Deal with it.

How do you know what JENNINGs did? Did you ever watch their coverage on 9/11. He wasn't reading a tele-p then!

I'd censor you? Show me an example of this in my brief modding period...I don't censor anybody (the only thing I've deleted was dick picks featuring a hermaphrodite giving a blowjob. And it was fucking grotesque). Your entitled to your opinion and then I'm entitled to call bullshit in my opinion.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 08:01 AM
you admire a high school drop out talking head, that says a lot about you.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 08:01 AM
I don't HAVE to read every post here to know jennings was just a talking head.

sentinel
08-08-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't HAVE to read every post here to know jennings was just a talking head.

you're right! then get your fuckin' face out of this tread!

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 08:04 AM
you admire a high school drop out talking head, that says a lot about you.

Abraham LINCOLN never went to school and was a self-educated genius. So were many writers and mucsians. Some, very-rare, people are too smart for the confines of high-school! BILL GATES was a college drop out, ya' think less of him?

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 08:06 AM
bill gates is a hell of a lot more than a talking head on a network.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 08:08 AM
"get your fuckin' face out of this tread!"

I'm leaving for now "tough guy" My choice.

I'll come back when I want also. My choice.

Get over it, you're impotent.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 08:09 AM
bill gates is a hell of a lot more than a talking head on a network.

I'll make sure to look down on all "shit heads" that don't have a four-year college degree from now on. No matter what they do or how successful they were in their field, like RUSH LIMBAUGH, a drug addict fool that dropped out of college, his freshman year I think. :rolleyes:

sentinel
08-08-2005, 08:11 AM

scared????!!!!!

sentinel
08-08-2005, 08:23 AM

all you had to do was to respect a person who probably died in deep pain, otherwise you should've shut your mouth. you're free to your opinions but the comments that you've made are hurtful to people like ally kat and me-i lost a family member to lung cancer years ago- so GET OVER IT!!!???

Phil theStalker
08-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by sentinel
all you had to do was to respect a person who probably died in deep pain, otherwise you should've shut your mouth. you're free to your opinions but the comments that you've made are hurtful to people like ally kat and me who lost a family member to lung cancer. so GET OVER IT!!!???
Hey,

My friend, haven't you hurt enough? Don't let what this person, or any person, says hurt you.

He said on the cross, "They know not wot they do."

Heavy stuff.

You've hurt enuff.

Don't let fools who don't know wot they are doing hurt you -- anymore.

Stop this immediately, today, instantly.

You can.

And, Ally's family is healthier than most families who know little about the experience of love in trying times.

Many people who act out or end up in prison had traumatic pain in their lives in the absence of love and they are FAKKING TWISTED.

:)

:spank:

G-d Is Wise

BigBadBrian
08-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

BULLSHIT!!!!!

You and the others didn't think that way when it came to the Pope, did you? Hmmm?

Or wishing death on those with political views you don't agree with.

You're a hypocrite.

When the news broadcast that old Pete past on, I was sad. Still am.

However......

Peter Jennings was no better and no worse than anyone else. He was just a human being that succumbed to a terrible disease.

:gulp:

thome
08-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Peters NEWS show was the most unbiased if that can be.

I couldnt stand ANY of the others.... he wasnt so personally biased.

RIP... best to his family

FORD
08-08-2005, 09:41 AM
You know these threads are hitting new lows when the Thome posts are among the most sensible.

This is really sickening....

thome
08-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by FORD
You know these threads are hitting new lows when the Thome posts are among the most sensible.

This is really sickening....

Im also uneducated, but not worthy of praise in here. thanks

My life like peters is a struggle ,like all of us .He however i would say achieved
loftier goals than i want. Or could achieve as a writer and teacher.

I considered him to be not so politically swayed in his reading of the news.

Once again my best to his family

Guitar Shark
08-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I have no idea who NightProwler is so it doesn't bother me that he's fucking up this thread with his idiocy. But MaddVibe has been around for awhile and should know when common decency says to keep your fucking stupid comments to yourself.

RIP Peter. :(

jacksmar
08-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I didn’t want to post in this thread due the absolute banal drivel I’m reading. It’s getting old.
So Peter Jennings passes away and we reflect. But, as usual, jacksmar will reflect with a positive thought.

“No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent.”

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 11:53 AM
"I'll make sure to look down on all "shit heads" that don't have a four-year college degree from now on. No matter what they do or how successful they were in their field, like RUSH LIMBAUGH, a drug addict fool that dropped out of college, his freshman year I think."

rusty limbaugh, hill-billy heroin, anal cyst, draft dodging chickenhawk hypocrite. Unlike jennings, he graduated from high school. Just like jennings, he's a talking head.

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 11:54 AM
"scared????!!!!!"

you HAVE to be joking? Of what?

NightProwler
08-08-2005, 11:56 AM
"all you had to do was to respect a person who probably died in deep pain,"

Respect is EARNED and jennings did NOTHING to earn respect.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
BULLSHIT!!!!!

You and the others didn't think that way when it came to the Pope, did you? Hmmm?

Me and "Others?" I'm not speaking for anybody nor do I represent anything other than myself...

How did I feel when the POPE died fuckstump? S'cuse me? Telling me how I felt? How the fuck would you know how I felt Brie?

Or wishing death on those with political views you don't agree with.

When? Name one! I wished death on people that actually kill others and cause immense misery with their actions. I've never wished death on any in the current government because they had different views than I did...

You're a hypocrite.

Fucking spare me! Show me where I'm a hypocrite...

When the news broadcast that old Pete past on, I was sad. Still am.

So what's your problem with my posts in this thread?

However......

Peter Jennings was no better and no worse than anyone else. He was just a human being that succumbed to a terrible disease.

:gulp:

Agreed...But REAGAN was just a President that died of a degenerative brain disease. But we still did the whole state mourning thing, fine. His death was neither unexpected nor was it premature.

Oh yeah, I was thrilled when The POPE (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=460513#post460513) died..:rolleyes:

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Says you. He has a hell of a lot more earned respect than you'll ever have...

And despite his lack of a high school/formal education, he still made a shit load of money...

Warham
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Money doesn't mean much when you are six feet under.

By all accounts though, he was a respected journalist, and the last of the 6 o'clock news anchors where the family gathered around the set to watch the news when they came home from work. No more.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Money doesn't mean much when you are six feet under.

By all accounts though, he was a respected journalist, and the last of the 6 o'clock news anchors where the family gathered around the set to watch the news when they came home from work. No more.

Probably the best, truest post in this thread....JENNINGS covered issues as a journalist for much of his career before he was an anchor, he never just read a teleprompter.

Warham
08-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I think Jennings played it straight for the most part. Certainly more than Rather, who's reputation has been permanently damaged. I can understand why Cronkite never did like the guy. ;)

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I think Jennings played it straight for the most part. Certainly more than Rather, who's reputation has been permanently damaged. I can understand why Cronkite never did like the guy. ;)

RATHER was my least favorite of the three. He had some bad raps layed on him by the right, in fact 'Docu-Gate' was largely a producers fault more so than his. But honestly, I always found him to be arrogant and off-putting...He was a very good journalist at one time too though.

Warham
08-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Rather was best when he was a correspondent during the late 60's.

Nickdfresh
08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Rather was best when he was a correspondent during the late 60's.

From everything I've ever heard, he was great in 'Nam.

Ally_Kat
08-08-2005, 10:27 PM

He earned my respect. It's not easy being a journalist and the odds that a journalist will rise to anchor on any type of news show is not likely. You need talent. You also need to be on top of your game. He did this without fucking around in college. You have to be one hell of a writer and you have to hound people to get a story sometimes. It's a hell of a line of work and I know how hard it is to work it. I don't give a shit about his personal political leanings or anything like that. He wasn't a talking head. For God's sake, you're making yourself look like a pathetic asshole about this, especially to someone who lost both grandfathers, and soon this week, her father to the disease.

I highly suggest you do a little research about the feild of journalism and the work involved.

And I highly suggest you have a little sympathy when dealing with cancer deaths as you can get affected by it too, and I'm sure you wouldn't like all of us saying you don't deserve any respect having the disease.

NightProwler
08-09-2005, 08:45 AM
"He did this without fucking around in college."

Thank you for confirming that you are indeed a fool.

Nickdfresh
08-09-2005, 09:14 AM

When one of the biggest idiots on the ROTH ARMY calls anyone a fool.

Don't you have a mall to secure?

jacksmar
08-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Not only that, but anyone that believes they’re smarter because they’ve got a college level education knows little about life.
A college diploma is a great advantage if there is weighted or relevant application. However, if someone gets a diploma and believes they’re smarter than the rest of us with their Elizabethan Poetry degree, well……….

C`est la vie.

(and coupe de grass)

Nickdfresh
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jacksmar
Not only that, but anyone that believes they’re smarter because they’ve got a college level education knows little about life.
A college diploma is a great advantage if there is weighted or relevant application. However, if someone gets a diploma and believes they’re smarter than the rest of us with their Elizabethan Poetry degree, well……….

C`est la vie.

(and coupe de grass)

That's arguable, but not without merit. There's a difference between content knowledge and IQ. Educated people use critical thinking to weigh important decisions and tend to have a greater understanding of the world at large, and frankly they're a hell of a lot more polished for business.

But education cannot be measured by a degree (which is the point here). A well read person with a HS diploma is often smarter than a than a buffoon that went to a four-year drinking party. Some people, as my example of LINCOLN, are self-educated without formal schooling. It means that they worked independently to gain knowledge as opposed to having it in a set curriculum.

bueno bob
08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Peter Jennings died?

Holy shit, I totally missed it :(

There probably hasn't been a world leader of any import in the last 20+ years that he hasn't spoken with. Outstanding journalist.

Very sad.

sentinel
08-09-2005, 04:34 PM

YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!!

sentinel
08-09-2005, 04:36 PM
PETER JENNINGS
1938-2005

Ally_Kat
08-10-2005, 02:47 AM

Ya know, you want to think I'm a fool for stating that he got further than most people who study the profression for 4-6 years, then fine. I think it's a huge accomplishment to get as far as he did without any type of college degree.

I pray you or anyone you love never gets lung cancer, orany other type of cancer.

ashstralia
08-10-2005, 07:12 AM
anyhow...

peter jennings is but one of many news anchors

to appear on oz tv over the years..

i always thought the dude was cool.

didn't oprah and jerry start out as journo's?

NightProwler
08-11-2005, 12:26 PM
..."a mall to secure"?

LMAO

you're confusing me with the guy who kicked you out of the food court.

So much for your job applictaion!

Nickdfresh
08-11-2005, 12:35 PM
..."a mall to secure"?

LMAO

you're confusing me with the guy who kicked you out of the food court.

So much for your job applictaion!

Wow, how will I ever recover from that stinging blast ASSPROWLER?

FORD
08-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pandora
Cancer is common people die everyday from it reeve's wife has it. My friends dad died from it. Guys and girls life goes on and you've all fought the only person deserving enough to be remembered is MY HOMIE JESUS CHRIST there was a truly great man. Did more things than peter jennings suffered more and was so not bias. So take that shove up your pipe and smoke it.

Fuck off Linda.

And fuck off Ass Prowler.

And fuck off anyone else who posted stupid shit in this thread.

Closing this, so you goddamned retards can go play somewhere else.

NightProwler
08-11-2005, 12:37 PM
"assProwler"?

Why project your homosexual fantasies at me? Unlike you I am a heterosexual man.

Do you even HAVE a job? Doing WHAT, exactly? Be SPECIFIC.

FORD
08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
"assProwler"?

Why project your homosexual fantasies at me? Unlike you I am a heterosexual man.

Do you even HAVE a job? Doing WHAT, exactly? Be SPECIFIC.

Fuck off, you BCE gopher.